CommTech Chips!

Reaction score
Re: What do you do with your Commtech Chips?

Originally posted by r2dee2:
Lenny, may I please ask if the chip from your UK CommTalk reader is numbered and has the starburst design on both sides? THANKS:)
<font size="2" face="arial">Sorry, I didn't see this post sooner.

Mine has the Starburst on the front, but on the back it has a small picture of the actual Commtalk reader. The background behind this is shiny and has the number 9 in the to-right hand corner. Just like the one pictured.

Is it of any significance?

Reaction score

Lenny, thanks so much for the clarification. The regular US commtech reader chip is like yours, with the starburst on one side and with the number 9 and reader pic on the reverse side, as shown in the lower picture. However, the special mail away UK chip is unnumbered and the starburt is on BOTH sides.

[ 03-20-2004, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: r2dee2 ]

Reaction score

Cool, thnx for info. What purpose does the 9 have? And do you know what offer the UK chip could be got through the mail from?

Reaction score

Lenny, almost all of the chips were just assigned a number, the Commtech/Talk Reader seemed to be assigned 9. The UK mail away didn't have one and there may very likely be others from non US markets that also are without a number. No big deal, just for the variation completists:)

The chip was offered in a flyer inside the Episode I: The Phantom Menace VHS movie release in the UK. It stated that if you bought a Commtalk Reader and sent in a receipt with your name and address, age and toy store you bought it from, you'd receive this exclusive chip for free.

Reaction score

Great, thnx for all the info.

Reaction score

Originally posted by Lenny:
Great, thnx for all the info.
<font size="2" face="arial">You are very welcome Lenny

Reaction score

I just use mine as figure stands, or I also have some in my box that has all my various accesories.

Reaction score

The only use I have for them are stands. When I'm bored, I use them to annoy my sister. Thet is soooo much fun. R2's chip really annoys her more than any of the others!

Reaction score
Why no more CommTech chips?

I'm just wondering why they didn't continue this feature into the rest of the prequels. I kinda liked them despite their poor sound quality because it showed that a lot of the characters in Episode I could have had a lot more dialog that should have been in the movie, most notably with Darth Maul and pretty much all the Pod racers and Jedi Council members. Plus they made for some nifty little bases for the figures which sometimes could not stand by themselves anyway.

Reaction score
Re: Why no more CommTech chips?

I liked them too. I was able to pick up a prototype Chewbacca one that was slated for wave 2. It was much improved over the first version of it. But Hasbro decided to drop yet another of their good ideas.

Reaction score

Was the prototype chip fully functional - did it have some of chewie's "lines" from the film?

I found them to be great looking figure stands but was always a bit disappointed by the (un)likenesses of the voices.

Yak

Reaction score

Yea sound quality wasn't great (tho it did get better on later chips - even before the unproduced 2nd type) and a lot of the dialog was taken from the script reading sessions so differs a lot from the movie. I loved them but a lot of people were complaining. But the main reason they got cancelled was costs. Hasbro marketing knew we wanted cheaper figures and the commtek chips were costing them lot.
Its a shame, if they had of stuck with it I think it really would be popular today.

Yea I'm pretty sure the prototype chip (at least with the one's that actualy contain a chip) do work with the original CommTek reader. But apparently they would have sounded even better with the new reader that looked pretty cool.

Reaction score

I REALLY miss the chips. I think it was a COOL idea and the stands were great!

I would love to see them brought back.

Reaction score
Re: Has anyone seen this CommTech Chip???

I've never seen that one before, but my guess is that it would be a pre-EP1 chip, rather than a post EP1 chip.

Reaction score

The new 2nd generation oval CommTech chips DO work with both the old reader & new reader.

Reaction score

Anybody have a pictures of these?

I would love to see how the new reader & wave 2 looked.

Reaction score

Obi_Robz said:
Was the prototype chip fully functional - did it have some of chewie's "lines" from the film?

I found them to be great looking figure stands but was always a bit disappointed by the (un)likenesses of the voices.
Yep, it works. Various growls from Chewie. And I think some noises from the holo chess table. It's packed away at the moment so I can't remember exactly what was on it. But I love it as a piece and would have bought the whole set had Hasbro made them.

GNT

Reaction score

Neat idea that just went wrong
What bugs me is the gap between commtech chip numbers

Reaction score

mrmforceX said:

While the gimmick worked for E1, it did force them to raise the price on the figures. I'd personally rather have $5 figures with a couple of accessories than $7 figures with one gun.

Reaction score

Well maybe hasbro could make something cooler and still keep the 5 dollaer price tag like a mail away for a free action figure with pop.

Reaction score

there okay but they just raise the price of the figure

Reaction score

_Darth_Maul_ said:
there okay but they just raise the price of the figure
Funny that the price never dropped when they stopped the commtech chips. Maybe force files were expense to create too?

Reaction score

Well, I thought the CommTech chips were crap. They didn't even sound like their character... it was a joke... Anyone can make a monotone voice to stand for any character!

Reaction score

wow, looks like they wanted to head in a really cool direction, too bad its Hasbro.

Reaction score

This is really too bad, the chips were awesome as display bases even without the reader.

Reaction score

They should continue them in the saga collection.

Reaction score

mrmforceX said:

i definitely agree. I would like to see them back. I think it would be better instead of those holograph mini’s that are with the new line. Just my two cents.

Reaction score

I think Hasbro just likes to throw in misc. things that are very cheap to produce to make the high prices of the figures seem like a bargain. I bet the chips weren't as cheap as they'd like to produce so they were dropped. I'm sure a lot of kids and non-collectors will be doing a lot of "ahhing and ohhing" over the Saga collection holograms that probably cost Hasbro pennies to produce. Out of all the gimmicky crap that Hasbro has thrown at us, I believe these chips were the best.

Reaction score

i liked the freeze frames more but the chips are a close second. they'd be first if they had actually came out with the commtech v.2 stuff. i've got a chewy chip and another that should be arriving today.

Reaction score

I agree.. the stupid stands they have now are garbage, especially the ROTS stands. The chips are great.

Reaction score

You know bases with voice chips and buttons that activate the phrase, bypassing the need for a reader, would be cool, too. Back in the early 90s GI Joe had figures that came with backpacks that had like 4 or so buttons and each one activated a battle sound. Costly, cool and likely to never happen.

Reaction score

I really liked the commtech chips and they are really nostalgic for us who were just kids when TPM came out but the prices were really expensive since the chips were not cheap to make. All in all I like what Saga 2006 is doing but I personally thnk it would be cool to have the characters head or something on the stand like this.

Reaction score

gorkoracing said:
i liked the freeze frames more but the chips are a close second. they'd be first if they had actually came out with the commtech v.2 stuff. i've got a chewy chip and another that should be arriving today.
What's the second chip you're getting? The Chewie one seems to be the easiest to get.

Reaction score

Dr_Zoltar said:
gorkoracing said:
What's the second chip you're getting? The Chewie one seems to be the easiest to get.
Another chewie chip (got it for a great price). I got it for trade bait for a different one in the future. If anyone knows anyone with some extras for sale or trade lemme know.
Here's some pics:
These 2nd generation ones have `a hole in the bottom that would have allowed you to stack them like this

heres the front and back of them if anyone has never seen one

Reaction score

Those 2nd version ones are pretty neat looking. I never did end up getting one of the readers. My buddy has one of the store displays that you just run the carded figure over, and it says the chip phrases.