CommTech Chips!

G

I do! I miss the CommTech chips!

As good as the new POTJ figures are, I can't help but think what Sebulba and company would look like on a Episode I cardback and a CommTech chip "Now with TWICE the speach!".

"Chubaaaaaa!" - Sebulba from the CommTech chip

What is YOUR opinion?

G

Re: I MISS the CommTech Chips!

I think someone's gonna get an ass whoopin'

Log

Reaction score

LOL Contagious!

Seriously though, CommTech was ok. They were badass looking stands and it nice to finally have stands come with the figures but as cruddy as the audio quality was, I'm MUCH, MUCH happier with Jedi Force Files(Thanks to them,I've learned things about characters that I never knew before)

If you want a Sebulba on an Episode 1 card, make your own. If you don't know how to, check out some customizing sites as I'm sure someone has made one.

Like I said, the only thing I miss about CommTech is that they were cool looking stands but I think Hasbro is making figures stand up better as none of my POTJ figures fall down at all. I stand the figures on their shelves and they stand fine, so CommTech isn't that big of a loss to me though.

To each his own I suppose...

[This message has been edited by PhoenixCollector (edited 12-22-2000).]

Reaction score

I remeber seeing the moch ups of the packages for the POTJ line at teh New York Toy Fair. They had the Force Files along with the CommChip in front. I was so pleased with that desing since I thought at the time Hasbro was keeping the CommChips and just adding the Force Files.
But I agree, I miss the CommChips.
I hate the Force Files.

------------------
Boba Binks, the most feared Bounty Hunter in the Universe.

"You're not a collector's item! You are a child's plaything. You are a toy!"
Buzz Lightyear - ToyStory2

Reaction score

I never DIDN'T like the commchips, although some of the early ones were pretty bad. But I totally enjoyed the technology of them a lot more than the bland and poorly-made Jedi Force Files.

------------------
How older fans saw The Phantom Menace: "Star Wars was brought to you by the letters 'E' and 'P', and the number '1'; and was paid for by a grant from W. M. Keck Foundation."

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films, Ep 1, Lego, Classifieds
SSG Micro Machines and Lego Editor

Log

Reaction score

I think it's funny that since we don't have CommTech anymore, everyone is saying how much they loved it but when we did have CommTech, everyone hated it.

I can't tell you how many times I saw people speak out against CommTech; everyone wanted a new pack-in and we got it in the form of the handy Force File. Force Files are better IMO, because you learn things about characters that you might never have known before.

Besides, think of all the characters who didn't have lines that would have to have lines made up for them, were CommTech still around.

What would figures like Dagobah Vader and Boomer Damage Battle Droid say? People complained that figures had lines that weren't in the movie(E1 figs at least) but like I said, now CommTech is gone and everyone likes it whereas everyone hated it when it was around.

I prefer Force Files myself though.

G

I really wish they'd at least made some ESB or ROTJ Commtechs. At the very least, they should've made the Old Ben Commtech, since Luke supposedly interacts with him.

As for what some of the POTJ figures could say:
Dagobah Vader: "Ouch! That was my head! Oh, wait, no, it's YOUR head!"
Mas Amedda: "Careful, Chancellor. I believe they're going to call for a vote of no confidence!"
IG-88: "Akeema, IG-88 wins!"
Tusken Raider: "Grrrrunk! Garrrrunk, grrunk!"
Boomer Damaged Battle Droid: "Roger, Rog--rrrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzap!"

------------------
--
http://fan.starwars.com/elchuxter

G

I agree that some will be missed.Chewbacca"growling"at the chess table.A nice Boba fett "he's no good to me dead" And it looked like to me, they were starting to get it together, with some of these.The R2D2-holo leia is a good example.The blue R2 is also good.Maybe just the droids then?

G

I never did like the CommTech chips, and I'm glad they're gone. So HA!

Reaction score

What skawookiee said with an additional, "HA!".

G

the jawa commtech chipwas the most reallistic.every one elses except the r2 units were bad.
i miss the stand part but aw hell.the forvce files are pretty cool!

------------------
straight from the hallowan labotories from the assasin droid project......the phlutdroids!
-----------
ive been watching you captian rendar.i plan on stealing han solo from boba fett to get the bounty from jabba the hutt.....and theres nothing you can do.
-ig-88(from star wars shadows of the empire)
----------
you were right about one thing master.the negotiations were short
-young ben kenobi(sw ep.1 tpm)
--------------
you stuck up,half witted,scruffy looking nerf herder!-leia oragana
hey!whos scruffy looking?-han solo
(sw:ep5 esb)
---------------
i better be getting paid for this-boba fett
(from star wars masters of teras kasi video game)
-------------
toad is the greatest!-toad from the x-men

G

Either way your still paying for them at$6.99 a figure. :)~)

Log

Reaction score

Like you Phlutdroid, I STRONGLY prefer the Force Files over the CommTech chips.

Yeah it was nice getting a stand but you can buy stands from about any online store or most likely any collectible store in your area. They don't cost a fortunew to get either.

None of the POTJ figs have problems standing up so I think stands could be a thing of the past.

[This message has been edited by PhoenixCollector (edited 12-30-2000).]

G

I would rather have the ctc rather than the Force Files for the simple fact that you get a stand with the fig. CTC coul'de been great, but sound qualtiy ruined it for me.

Reaction score

Man, alot of you are so against CommTech chips!?!? At least you got to use it as an action stand in addition to the chip.....right?

Log

Reaction score

Well, I'm not really against CommTech because it was a really cool idea and some of the chips sounded good(Tarpals, Jawa, R2 Units) but like I said, the stands won't be missed since the new figs stand up really easily.

Reaction score

I prefer the Force Files too.
The Commtech sounded awful, and as stands, they were ugly. Plus, I didn't like the way they looked on the package, and Hasbro needed that huge ad on the back of the card just to explain them, instead of pictures of new figs.

The FF look better on the card, and I think they're kind of a clever idea.

Reaction score

well, I picked up the Chewbacca Commtech 2 chip at Frank&Sons yesterday, and let me tell you twice the speech does not mean twice the audio quality: featured is Chewie growling twice, 2 creature effects, same crappy laser blast, Han talking, and C-3p0 responding - But it sounds awful, they still have a very synthetic quality.

G

The "Force Files" are pieces of paper with a few old pic and some made-up information on them. I believe the only reason they exist is to keep Hasbro from having to create a new card for each figure.

CommTech Chips a) added a dimention to the figures never tried before by any SW toy line - movie lines, and b) doubled as a stand for each figure.

I would have LOVED to get an oval Chewie chip like that, but it doesn't fit into my figure budget at all.

Reaction score

I wasn't a huge fan of the Commtech Chips either, but, I have to say that if I had a choice between the chips or the force files I would definitely go with the chips. The force files do absolutely nothing for me! When I open up a figure the force files goes straight into a baggie with the rest and up into my closet. I know the chips had bad sound quality but at least I got some use out of them by standing my figs on them.

Hey Amanamatt, were you the guy I saw buying the chip from 2 young guys who run their own booth? I have to agree with you on the sound quality of the Chewy Chip. Mine is the same way. I have to admit that I kind of like the style of the chip though.

Reaction score

yup, that was me. I don't regret buying the chip - it does look cool - I was hoping for a more realistic sound, though.

On a personal note, I would love to hear the Tusken Raider chip.

I was suprised how much more info was on the Chewie Chip.

GNT

Reaction score

Hey amanamatt,how much did you pay for it???

G

One Word: Coins

Why didnt Hasbro come up with coins instead of the stupid Force Files( worthless pieces of paper if you ask me, just to justify increase of prices on figures, or no decrease, with little effort in their cost)?

When Commtechs first came out i was against them ,but now that Force Files are out, I love the Chips!!!

I mean who will start a collection of force files? Not me!, Force Files have no collectible qualities!!!!!If you want some important info about the characters, then they should have done like they did on the orange cards, green cards, with the info on the back of the cards.
Now coins on the other hand would be just as good as the Freeze Frames, which i think was one of the smartest ideas that theyve ever had.
Hasbro could then make a mail away Coin Holder, and we could use our Jedi points off the cardbacks for mailaway special Coins,for figures already released , the possiblities would be endless.

HASBRO, CANCEL FORCE FILES AND BRING US SOMETHING WE CAN COLLECT,OTHER THAN THE FIGURES!

Reaction score

Didn't someone around here mention coins a few months ago, with a twist, though?

Each fig would come with a coin representing that character, but the coin would also have a footpeg on it, so it could double as a stand. Now I think that would be a really neat idea.

G

Some of them I didn't mind such as luke, han solo, R2 with holo leia, sio bibble, jar jar binks, jawa, greedo, stormtrooper. The vader one sucked big time though.

And speaking of sucking has anyone heard the scrapped "twice the speech" chewie one on rebelscum.com? Twice the speech but the voice quality still stinks.

------------------
Messa going home!

Log

Reaction score

I heard the wav files of Chewie's chip and let me say, thank you to Hasbro for scrapping the things. Chewie's chip ranks up there in the "cheese factor" along with the chips from Jedi Master Qui-Gon, Naboo Swamp Jar-Jar, and CommTech Vader.

Stands are not expensive at all. Entertainment Earth and various stores sell them at very cheap prices so I don't see why everyone freaks out about not having a stand with the figure. My figs stand fine so I could care less if a stand comes with them or not.

As Grand Moff Fett said, the CommTech chips sounded AWFUL(only a few were good) and they were indeed butt ugly as stands.

With the Force Files, you get information on the character in question and you don't have to waste 3 seconds of your life listening to chips that sound like a Speak And Spell that got smashed in by a golf club.

There are some stores in my area that do charge Hasbro's suggested retail of $5.99 for POTJ figs so the price drop did take effect in my area at least so that's another reason I'm thankful for Force Files.

A fold out booklet beats a crummy Speak And Spell wannabe voice chip anyday IMO.

Reaction score

If I had to choose, then I would choose the force files. They take up less space and don't collect as much dust. Also I don't have to worry about saving all of the cardbacks now, since they are the same. Hasbro is saving me a ton of space.

------------------
Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner,
Boomer Sooner, O-K-U!

Reaction score

How about completely scrapping CTC's, Force Files, Freeze Frames, and Flashback Photos, and just giving us more cool accessories to justify the price?... Like Aunt Beru's treadwell droid or Chewie's Dejarik Table!

Reaction score
Why people miss the Commtech chips

Anyone who now says they miss the Commtech chips gets dissed big time, cos every1 complained about the CC chips before- but the reason people complain is cos the Force Files are worse! Who wants them? At least the CC chips could be justified by Hasbro sayin 'kids want them', but what kid wants to read a crappy little booklet, and what collector wants to read a crappy little booklet? Personally, I'd choose an action figure stand instead of a pack-in. (I live in the UK and action figure stands are had as hell to get at a decent price).

------------------
"If Villie ever get mixed up with fish faces again, Villie kill himself"

Log

Reaction score
Re: Why people miss the Commtech chips

As far as I'm concerned, the Force Files are ALOT better than CommTech. I like reading the FF's and I'm sure some kids use the info in them, particularly the "Adventures" part to create adventures and scenarios for their figures to go through.

I think Force Files are the best pack-in next to the Freeze Frame Action Slides. The Freeze Frames were the best pack-in because they captured an image from one of the (at the time) three movies. Force Files are second best because you get information on a character plus you might possibly learn something you never knew before(example: I never knew Dagobah Vader was a Dark Spirit but thanks to his FF, I know now) and like I said above, they give you play scenarios.

I'm all for the Force Files but I know some people like CommTech and that's fine.

------------------
"Dang kids, get off my lawn!"

[This message has been edited by PhoenixCollector (edited 01-07-2001).]

Reaction score

I may have been too harsh on the Force Files, they're fine, it's just I think we're better off without the pack-in. The original POTF 2 wave survived without any pack-ins.

Reaction score

I agree with Darth_Graham. No more packins.
Just give us the figure with an accessory and drop the price back down to $4.99.

------------------
Boba Binks, the most feared Bounty Hunter in the Universe.

"You're not a collector's item! You are a child's plaything. You are a toy!"
Buzz Lightyear - ToyStory2

Log

Reaction score

Gotta agree with ya Binks. I suppose Hasbro does pack-ins to make the figures stand out on the pegs but Graham is right too. Everything from 1995-January 98 looked great without a pack-in.

If Hasbro HAS to do pack-ins then they should make em cool at least, like the Force Files.

------------------
"Dang kids, get off my lawn!"

G

I loved me some commtech chips. I just didn't like the way they were packed. When you buy them, the bag is full of air and hardly any commtech chips. Now they don't even make them anymore. They used to say,"Eat all you want.We'll make more." Those liars.

------------------
Bar-bar-a, where's my hot
Choc-o-late?

Reaction score

Hee hee, that's a great sig line!

I like the commchips, I liked the nifty design of transferring info to the readers. I don't even consider JFFs to be a true pack-in anymore, just an extension of the file cards.

------------------
Mark Hamill's initial reaction to reading the Star Wars script

BHC Moderator of POTF2, Galoob, Films, Ep 1, Lego, Classifieds
SSG Micro Machines and Lego Editor

Reaction score

I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again. Chips, flashback photos, slides and force files do nothing for me, personally. The best pack-ins are accessories. Give me more weapons, small droids, chairs, chess boards, and props!

G

IMO the Force Files are the best pack-in for one and only one reason. price. if you think back to when the POTF2 and EP1 figures first came out, they were $7-$8 or more, everywhere. but with the POTJ figs Wal-Mart and Target have them for $6.74, only TRU and KB have them for $8(cause they suck on new stuff). With the Force Files, Hasbro only has to make TWO cards! Notice there is nothing printed on any of the POTJ cards to differentiate one from another, with the exception of the collection number...1 or 2. The numbering (except for the first wave or two) are all .0100, and the Jedi Points are all stickers. if you look at, for example Han Bespin Capture, the printed card number is .0100, but the Jedi Master Points number is .0000! The assortment number isn't even the same, on the sticker it is 84564, but printed on the front its 84445. All Hasbro needs to print now are some easily changed stickers and the Force Files, and every once in a while a new figures list on the back. With the original POTF2 cards (which are my favorite anyway, i liked having a picture) a new card had to be printed for EVERY figure! That and the CommTech Chips(cool idea, not done very well) had to be included in the final price. So whether you like the Force Files or not, Hasbro is doing EXACTLY what we wanted...trying to keep the price down.

Reaction score

I was never really anti-CommTech...I thought they sounded crappy...but at least you got a "free" figure stand! I figure with what I pay for figures and figure stands....I'm probably about the same.....maybe a little cheaper...not quite sure.

------------------
"The avalanche has already started....it's too late for the pebbles to vote"

G

Did anyone collect any foreign Commtech chips?

I collected a few french speaking & spanish speaking Commtech chips and was wondering if anyone else did? Did they make a german speaking version, italian speaking version, etc.?