Comics & Books: Limelighting & Display

Reaction score
Hey guys... it's going to be a while down the road, but figured I'd start asking now... I'm trying to come up with some ideas for displaying my SW comics and magazine collection. Cases, shelves, etc. Tossing around just a TON of ideas. If you guys have any pictures of any really unique ways to display, I'd love it (sure I'm not the only one here)

Probably staying away from the typical/standard shelves or bookshelves. Was thinking about going with a thin shelf that wraps around the room kind of like using the comics as a wall border, also thinking of building some nice custom size pull out display cabinets then maybe displaying some of the better issues in clear cases or something like that around them??? Right now I just have them all in backers lined up in the typical cardboard boxes.

Any pics would be great.. even if they aren't necessarily SW... or if there's a link to comic collectors displays/collections/rooms thanks! Would eventually be just one small part of a larger collection room/rooms.

Reaction score
That sounds great!, the border idea... I wanted that vibe too, but to use for my horror film collection when I bought my house in '02. The only issues with this (pun intended) would be space, which I'm not sure of your limitations, and the quantities you wanna display. I was leaning towards the classic mom-n-pop "video store" look, allowing all the great covers and artwork to show, giving it visual awesomeness and easy reference. But, with nearly 2000 films it's a massive space gobbler, so I went library style, which is just fine, but the space consumption was remarkable otherwise. Even w/ the small size of vids it's epic when all laid out. I wanted to accent the vid collection w/ props, autographs, posters, etc but I just didn't have the capacity. I'll try to get a pic of my current layout, but I can't house that style of display currently... give us some stats, kinda fun to feel and figure this stuff out. We are toying with buying a bigger house in a year or 2, so I might get lucky. Now in 2014, Between the films and my autograph collections, I realize nowadays I'd never do the video store layout style for the vids, but for my autographs... and have border(s) or epic wall configurations. Displaying collections makes perfect sense, I knew a guy that just went to cons and stacked it in the closet in the bags he brought the stuff home in...why?? pointless.

Reaction score
Yesterday (4/28) marked the 2 year anniversary of when I joined RS. I have quoted my previous post to carryover the bulk of my entries. I have inserted the additions that I had acquired in the past year, and updated the shelf pics to reflect these additions.

Bookcase Shelves A-E

Shelf A

Shelf B

Shelf C

Shelf D

Shelf E

Starting another bookcase that isn't pictured
Shelf F

Assorted

Now the comics in chronological order. All images are the 1st issue of a series or title, or a one shot. I couldn't show every issue. All titles are complete except where noted.
Box 1 runs from Dawn of the Jedi through The Force Unleashed II.
Box 2 runs from Underworld through Legacy, then an assortment of items that can't be placed in the timeline properly.
Box 1 & 2 are two full long boxes.

Before the Republic

The Old Republic

Rise of the Empire (Droids issues 1, 4 only)

Rebellion

New Republic (The Last Command issues 1-4 only)

New Jedi Order

Legacy

Other (Marvel Star Wars 14 assorted issues, Galaxy Magazine 11 assorted issues)

I hope you enjoyed this display. Practically every novel and comic was bought the week/month of its release.
Well, what can I say. The official EU has been declared and now quite possibly none of the above matters anymore. This saddens me.
Despite what some may say, the printed EU was consistent to a high degree, considering the lack of being printed in chronological order. Sure, there were internal inconsistencies, and Lucas himself contradicted some things with the Clone Wars TV show. But it was far from a mess and a disaster.
I have no plans at this time to actively follow any Star Wars created in the new Disney direction. The new material may end up being great, but it will take a shift in my current way of thinking to embrace it. The very nature of old continuity being discarded so new material can take its place is something that offends me as a faithful consumer and follower. I understand why it is done, but I do not like it. I would have preferred further stories in this EU, but as you can see, I have plenty of material to reread and keep me happy for many years.

There are two more Dark Horse titles coming out this year that I will get; Rebel Heist, and Darth Maul Son of Dathomir.
I am not positive how many remaining novels will focus on this now defunct EU format, but I will get any that do.
I hope fans of the now defunct EU will enjoy and appreciate my updated and nearly finalized collection displayed here.
I hope that anyone who dislikes the now defunct EU pictured above has the decency not to denigrate my collection or views, and can simply leave this to those who enjoy it.
Steve

In fact, when the Dark Horse titles cease, it may very well mark the end for me of nearly forty years of collecting comics! :eek: I currently only follow one other title, GI Joe: A Real American Hero. I was already considering dropping it over the past several months and don't know if I'll bother being a reservist at my shop for one title a month. Following Star Wars, GI Joe, and collecting comics period is something I've done for the past 30-40 years. Who knows what sort of withdrawal symptoms I may go through...:p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sizz...
First time I looked into this thread.... this will not be my "go to" reference for quick access.
Great stuff.... I love seeing the pictures.

You have quite a collection.... Nice job!
Michael

Reaction score
wip collection

My collection as with most, is a work in progress especially with the disney/marvel lincencing changes going on, ive been buying off all the dark horse stuff i can get my hands on, some more on the way, and am practically broke as the result even at 75%+ off! Am in process of reorganizing, as i aquire, want to put in chronological order, but space is a factor atm, no place to put non-sw books:grin: sorry for terrible pics, once i clean it up a bit ill do a photoshoot w/ my real camera.

Highlights include, mark hamill signed blu ray, and custom lightsaber from ultrasabersB)

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what ROTS book that is?, the one w/ Palpatine's face on the bind...very bottom.
Hmmm.... guess I'm a little slow, as I just found this thread. LOL

Anyway, here are pics of my two small bookcases filled with SW goodies...

I've actually gotten some more stuffed in there since these were taken, lol.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did some rearranging the other day when I stole a bookcase from my son that moved out B)

Reaction score
Thanks. It's been great having Star Wars sketch covers done at conventions since Marvel has been releasing sketch covers for them to be done on.

Reaction score
It's one of the best things that comic book distributors have done. Although it does stink when the stores want to charge more than cover price for the blank variant.

Reaction score
Luckily, I have one local comic store that charges cover price for some of the more common variants including the blank variants (but they usually don't last long). Most will tack on a few $ more, and the harder to find variants some can be $$$!

Reaction score
That's so very true. One of the comic stores by me did this in the beginning and then they started tacking on a few more dollars. Not much but they were going for $7-8 when they were normally $5. Now the more rare ones, so to speak, were going for $10 and up depending on the variant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Funny, I only posted this a few weeks back, but now this month I find my local shop is tacking on $1 to the more common variants... Still a decent deal, I snagged the most recent ones.

I had all the 1st print individuals (don't collect TPB"s, but do have a few) from 1977 vintage through Dark Horse, right up to the most recent Marvel released... had to draw the line with all the variants, just waaay to many and would end up spending way more $$$$ than I'd like. I still grab all the 1st prints, and some variants if I find htem on the cheap (typically I'll pay a few $ more for variants, but that's about it).
The comics still have always been loads of fun to collect, many today are only worth what you paid, sometimes if that, but similar to the action figures, there are some real gems out there to be had. Can't explain the crazy high prices on some (Look at the Tales #19 with the 1st appearance of "Ben"... $60 and up???). and just when I think I have them all, I find one from time to time I missed out on somehow.

Just grabbed a few recent Gamestop variants. I believe they were at or slightly above cover (maybe $4.99/$5.99ish?) very nice.

One thing I enjoy is that with my figures, once they are displayed, there they tend to stay, but with the comics, I find myself from time to time pulling them back out and reading, especially when conversations come up on the boards here. I find I get a little "extra added value" out of them.

Reaction score
yeah, I noticed at my shop, the C-3PO variants (Phantom Limb) were 10.00!.. and they had dozen plus of the regular priced common one. Funny, cuz that main cover is the best one IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction score
yeah, I noticed at my shop, the C-3PO variants (Phantom Limb) were 10.00!.. and they had dozen plus of the regular priced common one. Funny, cuz that main cover is the best one IMO.
I lucked out with this set. My local CBS was selling all of the covers for $30 total. So I picked up a set.

Reaction score
yeah me not being a true comic collector, but more a reader have issues (pun intended) w/ publishers and their variant nonsense, just seems to be a way for them to pork buyers financially IMO, but again I'm not a collector, so I can't derive logic from it.

Reaction score
yeah, it's also one of the reasons I'm glad I'm not an action figure guy, same there-all kindsa ways to but the same product a dozen times, meh.

Reaction score
Here is my collection. For now I am restricted to one shelf for my books. The other shelves have these McQuarrie statues and mini busts on them. Behind the McQuarrie books are all the Dark Horse collected Star Wars Marvel comics from the '70s-'80s I grew up reading and a bunch of Frank Miller, Symbiote Spider-Man graphic novels.

Reaction score
I picked up a couple more books. Star Wars The Clone Wars Dark Horse comics VOL 1 and VOL 2. I loved these when they were originally out! Waiting for VOL 3 to be released.

Also got some (cheaper) books, The Force Unleashed Graphic Novel and AOTC Visual Guide for $3!

Reaction score
Picked up "Dressing a Galaxy" SW Prequels HC today. Owned it when it first came out, sadly sold it and since I have watched the price skyrocket! I got it today for $100 shipped with 20% off on ebay. Best deal I felt I was going to get on that book.

Reaction score
Theres something wrong in that photo of your book collection.'

You dont have Rogue One: Rebel Rising which takes place between Rogue One Catalyst and Rogue One

Reaction score
sorry i didnt see it. How is Rebel Rising anyway? is it worth buying and reading or skip it since in the Rouge One movie you get enough hints of Jyn's history anyway