Comic Packs

GNT

Reaction score
I thought I'd start up a thread on the comic packs and see what everyone thought about this line?

When they first came out years ago (Stormie Han, Tarkin etc), I thought the first wave was a dud which it was and it still amazes me Hasbro continues to reissue them with every card change (BVad mistake). Because of Han and Luke In stormie disguise the Comic packs are nolonger sold here. They pegwarmed and blocked new stock from hitting the shelves which created poor sales here so consider yourself lucky if you do get new comic packs on the shelves at your local stores.

The line has grown a lot since the early comic packs and now we're getting heaps of new characters that I'm not even familiar with.

So thoughts on this line? Are you pleased with the offerings? How can Hasbro improve it? What comic 2 packs do you want to see made? Are the figure choices what everyone's after? More EU? CW? PT or OT packs? Discuss...

Reaction score
I love the comic packs.

Its a shame their availability is not 100% in the UK.

My dream figures are Fenn Shysa, Tol Skorr and Lumiya. Its annoying having to get them through import.

Reaction score
I think they're great! The Comic Packs have been a major highlight for me in recent years. The best thing about Comic Packs is their ability to realize certain characters as figures that might otherwise never have been made (Dark Woman! Sharad Hett! Imperial Knights!) individually. I don't like it when Hasbro gets lazy with CPs and uses them as a vehicle for re-releases (Vader/Trachta) or dumb repaints/retools (Mouse/Basso). For this reason, I've been selective with them, though, and picked up only a few. I've largely skipped over Marvel sets, WM exclusives, and Infinities.

However, the good CPs outweigh the bad ones. I can't wait for the next round with so many figures that look great, like Lumiya, Darth Krayt, and Kyle Katarn. OBVIOUSLY Hasbro *can* make CPs as good as these appear to be, and I will continue to support the line if this level of quality is maintained.

Reaction score
I passed on the first Marvel wave as well - between the ghastly colours and the questionable sculpts (The 1999 stormtrooper body? Whose idea was that?), but there has been definite improvement since then. Traditionally, we as collectors have arranged our collections according to the movies, which makes it difficult to incorporate non-movie figures. The comics themselves provide context, and the figures are for the most part able to comfortably integrate with their counterparts from the movie. Well, except for the Yuuzhan Vong, but I suppose one can't have everything.

Reaction score
Love 'em. I love the whole concept.

Granted, I don't particularly enjoy some of the lazy repacks and repaints, but we have gotten some spectacular figures from the Comic Pack line (Rogue Squadron aliens, Dark Woman, Tol Skorr, Talon Karrde, Amanin, Ewoks, Mara Jade). And with the vast library of Star Wars comics, there's plenty of room for more characters to see plastic (Nomi Sunrider, Rik Duel gang, Jorus C'baoth, etc...). The comic packs are great for EU fans. It allows figures to be made without taking slots away from the film characters.

I say Keep It Up!!

The only thing I have an issue with is distribution -- which ulitmately leads to pegwarming.

Reaction score
As with all of the Star Wars line, I buy what I like and leave the rest alone, comic packs included. Some are great and some are less than okay. A lot of the appeal for me with the sets is that at least one of the figures in most of them is one that's worth buying the 2-pack for. It's a bonus if both figures present are desireable.

The comic packs gave us our firstBothan which I've been waiting years and years to get a toy of. I FINALLY got a respectable Xizor that I was wishing for for 12 years. A great new Thrawn, 2 kick-acss Imperial Knights, a nicely camouflaged Faie, and 3 Ewoks that never would have happened otherwise all came about because Hasbro is dedicated to the comic packs. There's more awesome on the way with Lumiya, a 3rd Imperial Knight. (I'm slowly recovering from the heartbreak of the Camie/Fixer debacle, that's my only major issue...) I hope this subline of Star Wars continues for a long time.

Reaction score
Just stop with the reissues - I have to bet that this line is geared toward the fans, so bringing back older releases to bulk up the line just feels idiotic - especially when they're those LAME Marvel colors...

And BTW - don't let me EVER see another Marvel Color new release - paint them realistically, and let those first few batches be the end of it. Would love to see a better rendering of Fenn Shysa and Tobi Dala...

'78

Reaction score
The only reason I can come up w/ for rereleasing those old sets beyond "giving new fans a chance at 'm" is EU waves hit in spurs. ie alot at once then nothing for 2-4 months. Hasbro may just want someting to stay on the pegs until next wave hits so retail won't be so quick to remove the peg space much like thier reasoning for releasing the shadow arc (which is cool btw) before the cw y-wing at the delux vehicle price point- so retail'll have the shelf spot available when the y-wing hits.
True, there are some other older sets that may accomplish the same task, but Hasbro chose the 1st Marvels to do that. I'm hoping that rereleasing these 3 or 4 Marvels that they intend on doing 2 more sets to complete the comic series, that'd be nice. Maybe fit in Leia, C-3PO (at least it could serve as an alternate 3PO), Tie Pilot, Rebel Pilot, or even though not in issue 5 or 6, the long rumored Mosep and Han.,,it wouldn't be the 1st time a 2pk character wasn't actually in the included issue.

Reaction score
GameSix said:
The only thing I have an issue with is distribution -- which ulitmately leads to pegwarming.
Yeah, that's the biggie. I haven't seen a new Comic Pack in several MONTHS. The newest were the WalMart sets I got several weeks ago! Never saw the Luke/Deena SHIELD set or Sharad/Ki-Adi, haven't even seen Wedge/Borsk much. Everywhere it's just leftover Thrawn/Karrde, Leia/Xizor, Asajj/Tol, and maybe a few Imperial Knights. RARELY a Cade/Darth Talon, sans-saber.

Distribution & scheduling stink on this series. HTS isn't any better; they get new waves of Basic often before they're even on pegs in stores, but Comic Packs, they're always behind the times, and then sell out of one or two immediately and never seem to restock.

Reaction score
As of recently, Hasbro has done a good job wit the comic pack line. They're choosing some great figures (Amanin, Krayt, Ewoks, etc).

Although most of the comic packs that were initially released weren't great, it's improved a lot.

Just keep up the good character choices, ease up on the re-issues, and this could be a very successful line.

Reaction score
I think they're hit or miss (like the rest of the line.) When they work, they're a great way to get some new figures. When they don't work, they're pretty catastrophic. I have no idea how that Vader/Reb Fleet Troop pack keeps coming out. It's almost like a drunk's self-destructive missile mode.

Great channel for EU and troop builders though. Getting Talon Karrde was a huge win for me (and I love that design); a cool looking Kyle Katarn is coming; really liked the Mara/Luke pack last year and I love the Wal-Mart Boba Fett issue #81 from last year as well -- it reminds me of the vintage 12".

So on balance, I think it's a great sub-line.

Reaction score
They're a cheap way (cost per figure) for my son to army build. Sure the Ewok colors are a bit off, but he's 4, he doesn't care.

Reaction score
I love the comic pack line and am looking forward to the new releases this summer and fall, Darth Krayt, Lumiya, Kyle Katarn, and I hope we see some new ones at comic con

Reaction score
I forgot about Kyle Katarn. I knew there was another anticipated character for me coming from these sets, just couldn't remember who. I'm definitely glad he's got a long overdue new figure on the way.

Reaction score
As a big fan of many Star Wars comics, I really dig it. It's a damn shame that Hasbro seems to be trying to kill the line, and even more shameful that they're doing it with these cheap Marvel repaints (especially because I love the Marvel Star Wars series, and would love to see some original sculpts of characters). Also, some of the character choices make me shake my head. Ex: the pack with Vader and Moff Trachta. Why the Vader? WHY??? Had the other figure been a stormtrooper I would have bought the pack in a heartbeat, but as it was I was not in the mood to purchase another Darth Vader action figure (and I'm not sure, but I think it was one I already owned).

Reaction score
Comic Packs are really hit-or-miss for me. There have been a few where I really want both figures, and they are done reasonably ell. There have been several that I either only want one of the figures or one of the figures is really poorly done, and there have been some that I haven't had the slightest interest in. I'll probably continue to buy about half of these as long as the character selection stays strong.

Reaction score
Comic packs are one of my favorite 3.75 lines. I love them.

Reaction score
I like the Comic Packs and for the most part they are cool, the only thing that annoys me is the Wasted Opportunity of giving something back to us older fans by not doing a decent job on the Marvel Star Wars Comic Packs (now saying that I am looking forward to the Lumiya and even Shira Brie Pilot outfit), but theres a wealth of characters going untapped here (I am hoping one day they will stop listening to the wet eared fan boys and do the decent thing and release the Marvel Star Wars Character Jaxxon and Amaiza with the rest of the Aduba 8, hell three comic packs would give us these characters).

Reaction score
I only pick these up if the figures are outstanding,or on clearance.
I wish that they would stop packing them with Leia variations.The Leia with Xizor had me shaking my head.That's gotta be the smallest adult human figure that I have ever seen.

Reaction score
lol They are never on clearance where I live. I buy comic packs once in awhile, but only if it interests me. Like Commander Faie and Quinlan Vos.

Reaction score
I really like this format it seems the best way for us EU fans to finally get figures, even though I skipped the very first wave garbage I pretty much get everyone now.
If they keep making figures like Tol Skorr, Bothan, Katarn, Krayt etc. it will be Awesome! Granted they ship too much making it difficult to find the newer waves, but I think most of that we can blame the retail distribution centers.
I would like to see this line continue on indefinitely so that I might one day get figures of very cool characters like T'ra Saa, Kai Hudorra, Roblio Darté, Jastus Farr, etc!

Reaction score
As one of the resident EU-haters you may be surprised that I actually like the comic packs. They are a great way for the EU fans to get characters they want whilst not taking away from background character slots in the main line-up.

They have also been a great way for me to pick up some stuff I wouldn't have gotten otherwise that does fit into my collection - Marvel R2-D2, RA-7, Ewoks and that amazing Amanaman!

I'm looking forward to Whistler and Corran Horn even though I don't know who they are, and am gutted about Camie and Fixer too.

Reaction score
Examples like this one are some of the reasons I'm happy the comic sets are part of the line.

what a difference 12 years makes.

I know there's no chance that a new figure of Prince Xizor would have ever happened if the comic book wasn't the excuse to make him. I will forever hold onto the hope for a Guri figure to happen someday.

Reaction score
Blackacidonkey said:
I think they´re great, but it´s really annoying that they are impossible to find here in Finland.
It's weird how product availability varies all over the world. Life would be a lot more simpler for everyone if everything was distributed equally.

Reaction score
I'm happy overall that we have then. I have my gripes but at the end of the day I get the characters I've been wanting for years or wanted remade for years. I do think some of the obscure packs are a nice touch but need to be shipped in alot lesser quantity. And with the exception of characters that have either been recently referenced or shown up in more modern EU material (Shysa, Lumiya) I think the Marvel Comic Pack's need too end. The stories themselves may be classic but the figures serve little to no desirable purpose to many. I know I'll come off as biased but I rarely see anything resembling a mandalorian (Aside from clones) last on shelves too long and alot of the fett martial (Open Seasons, Boba Fett one shots) seem like an untapped source. My guess in that matter is that alot of that material contains a slightly more graphic nature or language (The latter being reason I don't see TEOD ever being a commercial comic pack).

Reaction score
Wookie_inked said:
Examples like this one are some of the reasons I'm happy the comic sets are part of the line.

I know there's no chance that a new figure of Prince Xizor would have ever happened if the comic book wasn't the excuse to make him. I will forever hold onto the hope for a Guri figure to happen someday.
I'm no EU officianado by any means.. but that new Xizor looks like a GIRL compared to the old one.
Looks like like 12 years robbed him of some much needed testosterone.

Reaction score
VintijDroidGutzz said:
Wookie_inked said:

I'm no EU officianado by any means.. but that new Xizor looks like a GIRL compared to the old one.
Looks like like 12 years robbed him of some much needed testosterone.
While I do agree they could have used the same head sculpt a modified it to fit a ball post, I don't think he looks that feminine, although if you apply some sharpie colors to his eyebrows, lips and give him Agen Kolor's hair the figure looks really good as a female.

Reaction score
Darth_Satan said:
I'm looking forward to Whistler and Corran Horn even though I don't know who they are, and am gutted about Camie and Fixer too.
Whistler & Corran aren't in a Comic Pack

re: Xizor, I think the new figure's more effeminate due to his characterization. He's that kinda villainous archetype that's cultured, diabolical, a ladykiller, and yet comes off as a bit effeminate. He's not a big bruiser. There's this alien guy in the comic WAKE who was intrigued by Navi, the protagonist. The alien was tall, slender, and through words & gesture came off as effeminate... yet he loved the ladies and tried to seduce Navi a time or two. And he was kinda evil, also

Reaction score
I love the comic packs. Particularly the Marel ones. Not the repaints. The ones with not done before characters like Lumiya!

Reaction score
I used to like them a lot but the price increase has kind of put me off. There are some good ones coming up like Jangodo said, particularly Krayt and Lumiya, but they're going to hurt my bank.

Reaction score
My favorite sub-line. Only problem is that I can think of so many figures that I doubt Hasbro will get to them all. How many from TOTJ, or KOTOR, alone? My main wish is more Marvel, though. I hope they keep this line going for a long time.

Reaction score
commandernarra said:
My favorite sub-line. Only problem is that I can think of so many figures that I doubt Hasbro will get to them all. How many from TOTJ, or KOTOR, alone? My main wish is more Marvel, though. I hope they keep this line going for a long time.
I am hoping for more Marvel as well...I would LOVE to see (and his name escapes me) the Bounty Hunter from the early Marvel issues...I always thought he was cool. Heck even the big green rabbit would be cool.

Reaction score
Like the concept, but am usually disappointed with the packs.

1. Too many jedi/sith...I'm an odd collector, I really don't collect Jedi or Sith. They made some non-jedi packs...as wal-mart exclusives...too bad wal-marts here suck and don't carry them.
2. Too many bad Leias. good versions of Leia would be welcome, but I've yet to see one in a comic pack.
3. Vaders using not so great molds, one was a repack. Sucks if you wanted Moff Trachta.
4. Half-hearted articulation on some figures. Hasbro said there'd be more this year...right...whatever. I see Borssk with cut elbows. I see Quinlan Vos V2 with no knees.
5. Reused POTF/POTJ/Saga 1 molds. Did they want the Tarkin/Stormtrooper pack to pegwarm? A VOTC stormtrooper I would've bought, goofy colors and all. A comm-tech one...no way.

Reaction score
I love the comic packs and think they are the best thing that Hasbro is presently putting out. We are getting great figures for one reason or another Hasbro will not put in the Legacy line, Darth Krayt, Imperial Knights, Kyle Katarn how can these figures have no place in the normal Legacy Collection waves? Plus we are getting two figures and a comic for less than the cost of two individually packed figures in the Legacy line.
I am really glad that as a collector I am getting great figures that I want that basically without the comic packs I probably would never get. However on the other hand I am tried of certain figures getting cycled through. We do not need anymore Luke, Han, Vader or Obi-Wan characters to come through the comic packs anymore. We get enough of them in the Legacy waves keep them out of the comic packs.

Reaction score
IslandOfSodor said:
commandernarra said:
I am hoping for more Marvel as well...I would LOVE to see (and his name escapes me) the Bounty Hunter from the early Marvel issues...I always thought he was cool. Heck even the big green rabbit would be cool.
I think Valance has a chance, ut I doubt (unfortunately) that we'll see Jaxxon. Pity, because these pack should be for collectors and feature obscure characters.