Color Change Droid Factory

Reaction score
AWESOME!!!!I see where my summer $$ is going, lol. I see a red bb8 on play set package, I wonder if the droids literally change colors or if red bb8 comes out separately later.

Price and ETA?

Last edited:
Reaction score
It looks like the old ghostbuster, hotwheels color change feature. Ice cold water changes them. That’s a guess though. No idea on anything beyond what JTA is reporting. I hope they are on the parks app.

Reaction score
It looks like the old ghostbuster, hotwheels color change feature. Ice cold water changes them. That’s a guess though. No idea on anything beyond what JTA is reporting. I hope they are on the parks app.
Is that a temp color change? I'm not familiar with those. Heard of them, tbough.

Reaction score
The 80s toys used to be temporary, slime effect, different paint jobs in cars. Not sure how the tech has improved over the years

Reaction score
Very cool B) I love that "the Droid Factory" is now an actual playset, and sorta based on the Kenner one.

Is it too much to hope that Disney will be the one to give us more playsets, like Cloud City (carbon freeze, final duel window & platform, etc), Death Star, etc? I wonder if they have to keep their action figure stuff limited to a droid theme, therefore the Sandcrawler and now this factory.

Reaction score
so i'm curious if theres a way to permanently keep a droid at one or the other color schemes. i'd prefer the white r4 over the black and red bb over the blue or black bb but at least I have an extra bb8 I could repant to match the red if I have to and an extra white (albeit yellow/silver highlights) astromech body to switch out

Last edited:
Reaction score
From the grates on the floor I would guess its warm water that changes the color, or it could be cold water (the open tank on the left) and then setting the figure on the grate lets the cold air 'fall' and change back. Pretty fun either way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
yeah that's how the back of the packages read and imply. I was curious if while the droid is given color, if spraying it w/ (i'm just spit-balling here) clear lacquer or finish would preserve that color scheme. I have a can of clear finish that I got to put a finish on custom figures to prevent paint chips, fading etc

Last edited:
Reaction score
yeah that's how the back of the packages read and imply. I was curious if while the droid is given color, if spraying it w/ (i'm just spit-balling here) clear lacquer or finish would preserve that color scheme. I have a can of clear finish that I got to put a finish on custom figures to prevent paint chips, fading etc
Probably not I would guess. A laquer might protect the paint from wear, but I imagine the color change will still work through it.

You could go with a temperature controlled display case! lol The better half might have a fit if I put up a display in the freezer though!

I do think this set is great because it can be a permanent set always available and they can keep bringing out droids. With the introduction of the Gonk, I could see build a gonks too. Some cool accessories possibilities for them.

Reaction score
Has anyone done photos/reviews of these sets yet? I'm curious to see more but it's one of the only galaxy's edge products I haven't seen anyone talk about much...

Reaction score
https://wdwnt.com/2019/06/photos-every-merchandise-item-with-prices-from-the-droid-depot-in-star-wars-galaxys-edge/

Photos can be seen at the link above. If collectors get wind that a blue Gonk is being released in this set, it'll surely cause some noise, as the original Kenner color pattern hasn't been released to date. Its not an exact match, but it might be the closest that's done, considering Disney has beat Hasbro to it. I'm honestly a bit surprised that this is all that's being offering in the 3.75 range for this new attraction. Apparently no Disney Build-A-Droid / Droid Factory line either? Thought that was a staple for the Disney Star Wars experience...

Reaction score
The Build a droid ( R unit and Protocol) is still intact at Star Trader at the Star Tours gift shop in Tomorrow Land. Went there on the 10th, during GE previews, nothing new though in the BAD assortment that I could see. Hopefully we will see a build a Gonk someday.

Reaction score
I ended up getting the two sets for 95 shipped from ebay. Slightly more than retail, but figuring in tax and shipping that wasn’t too bad. Now I’ll just need the playset.

Reaction score
^ Ahh..OK...you're the one that out bid me at last minute LOL J/K

Let us know how stable the colors are when displayed in the mid range. 64°-86° F according to this description: The recommended temperature mentioned on the packaging for the color change to occur is 86° to 107.6° Fahrenheit (30° - 42° Celsius) and 32° - 64° Fahrenheit (0° - 18° Celsius)--such as warming up one droid, cooling another then displaying both at room temp (72° F/23° C))

Reaction score
I made an offer to a guy I bought a ton of droids from in the past. I want the damned playset now haha. I’ll post a review when I get them and test the color change. I read elsewhere they stay the coll you change them last (in stable temperatures)

Reaction score
^awesome pics. So I see you got a mix of "warm" and "cold" droids together. How does the colors on the RA and 3P0 and white CZ compare to 2017 BaD version, in regards to shade and also the black R4 compared to older BaD markings

Last edited:
Reaction score
They are duller muter colors, not shiny. The blue on the ra-7 is slightly lighter than the regular release, same for 3p0.

the black almost comes off as a very dark brown. I like keeping them the alt colors. As long as the temp stays even they stay the last color you dipped them in.

Reaction score
Thanks for info. I like to keep mine, when I get 'm, in color schemes not released b4. I may want 2 sets w/ the CZ and R4. The CZ and R4 are different enough in the respective white and black modes to be different enough from the standard releases. I hope the online store gets them. They seem not to be on ebay en mass.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’ve been checking eBay regularly, and they’re not on there too much. I guess we’ll have to keep a sharp eye out.

Reaction score
^ napped 1 last night Lol. Gonna try to get the 3po in mid change for a rusty brown look. Saw an online pic of 1 in that mid change mode. Oh in regards to ebay..not sure when it went into effect but you now have to pay state sales tax on purchases. This is a bit shady on regards to states demanding tax on ebay. I mean if I bought an item at Wal-Mart or where ever, including BBTS or EE, I'd pay state taxes but then later if I decide to sell it for whatever reason on ebay, my buyer will too now have to pay tax on an item already taxed especially if it was a local or w/in state sale. Not to get off topic but is it really legal for states to demand tax over and over on same item? I recall there being controversy over the very same thing when CD shops (remember those, lol) would buy and resell used cds. I think that started when some artists incl Garth Brooks, was upset that they were not getting additional royalties when used cds were resold. (I could be wrong, but I kinda recall Brooks being involved). I do recall ebay trying to stop it w/ petitions but I guess it didn't help when you are up against the government

Last edited:
Reaction score
It depends what state you are in, whether they have agreements with the states to collect the tax.

Can you send a link to that mid change? I may want to do that for varieties sake!

Reaction score
Got the 2nd set today from same ebayer. The only thing I don't like is the warmth of your hands is enough to change droids from cold to warm mode. Still debating if I want another r4 set. I want both versions of r4 and maybe cz, but the other 2 not so much a need for dupes. Definitely want play set too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There were some missed opportunities here, like Chopper should've been in his Imperial disguise. But overall I think these sets are pretty awesome. I'm a hoping a friend can get them later this year.

Reaction score
Got the 2nd set today from same ebayer. The only thing I don't like is the warmth of your hands is enough to change droids from cold to warm mode. Still debating if I want another r4 set. I want both versions of r4 and maybe cz, but the other 2 not so much a need for dupes. Definitely want play set too.
hahaha put gloves on when I moved them to not trigger the color change again.