Collector's medallions....?????

Reaction score
Re: Collector\'s medallions....?????

The bootleg panel was Ron, John, and me. Glad that it was informative and enjoyable for you to sit thru. It was a humbleing experience to say the least to have a room filled with people (most of them) listening to us talk and showcase my favorite parts of the hobby. Very glad that I got to be a part of it.

ALSO...Nice to know we've converted more people to bootleg collecting.

Cheers
Joseph

Tommy_Garvey

Reaction score

JohnA said:
I too need to see some of the panels when Tommy gets time to come by my place this summer. I missed the poster one which I *really* wanted to see and I had to step out for a few minutes during the coin one so I'd like to see what I missed.
Sorry to say that I don't think I taped posters. From the way it was introduced, it seemed like it was going to be a show and tell style intro to posters, and since the Poster Book covered a lot of the same material, I decided to conserve tape. Shame, because some very cool posters that I had never seen before ended up being shown.
I did get still pics of the cooler posters though. That Ewoks one was SWEET!

For C5, I'm just going to break down and tape every one. I'm sick of missing cool stuff due to lack of film.

I did tape the bootleg one though.

Tommy

Reaction score

The Poster panel was one of my favorites also, it let me gauge the rarity of my own poster collection gathered over the last 30 years. The only US theatrical I'm still missing is the Silver Mylar and the Birthday cake. From the panel, the mylar is not too much of a loss, they haven't physically held up over the years, but someday I'll get that elusive BD.

Reaction score

Beanie said:
I know Joseph Yglesias was there and I believe John Alvarez and Ron Salvatore not 100% sure.
Yep, that was us.

Beanie said:
I am now going to branch into this area of vintage collecting and was also helped greatly by this panel.
Good to hear. It's always nice to have new additions to the fold. You should have stopped by the Wilshire Grand on Friday night. Joe and I had a ton of bootlegs for sale/trade.

Jangoskid, glad to hear you enjoyed it. It was great fun to do.

John

Reaction score

JohnA said:
You should have stopped by the Wilshire Grand on Friday night. Joe and I had a ton of bootlegs for sale/trade.
I was looking for something to do that Friday evening - would have loved to have met you guys

Reaction score

Would anyone be interested in trading CIV collector panel medallions for a CIV badge set? I'd much rather have a set of coins than badges, so if anyone has some coins to trade, PM me. Obviously Im not expecting an entire set, but more than just one medallion.

Reaction score

The people who put on the panel presentations got a gold set of all 12 coins. I'd be surprised if any of those made it to ebay, but would be interesting to see how high the bids would get.

Reaction score

I was told to exoect to see no more than 4 to 5 on evilBay

Reaction score

JohnA said:
Ed_N said:
But what was most impressive was seeing pics of the (I think) Snowtrooper coin production pieces. Hardcopy, softcopy, the dyes, etc in someones collection. Unbelievable.
That was Michael Mensinger's most impressive collection.

I missed the poster one which I *really* wanted to see and I had to step out for a few minutes during the coin one so I'd like to see what I missed.

John
I sat that panel as well. The guy was going over detail upon detail about all the movie posters from soup to nut.

He also showed a couple of Hungarian Bootleg posters which was a treat, for me at least,
along with a very few known to exists from South Africa. Also went over a couple of stories as to how he got some of those “one of a kind” posters.

Reaction score

I didn't get any, but I'd have loved to have got just one, just to add a sample to my collection. If anyone has spares and would like to sell one please let me know. Thanks.

Reaction score

Obi_Phantom_Jedi said:
I didn't get any, but I'd have loved to have got just one, just to add a sample to my collection. If anyone has spares and would like to sell one please let me know. Thanks.
Come to CE and you'll have plenty of chances at more medallions. With country specific coins I'm sure many will get locked up by collectors from those countries.

John

iHu

Reaction score

HobNoblet said:
The people who put on the panel presentations got a gold set of all 12 coins. I'd be surprised if any of those made it to ebay, but would be interesting to see how high the bids would get.
One of them just sold a regular pewter set, framed, for $2000 on eBay today. Yes, you read that correctly. Wildne$$.

Reaction score

JoshEEE said:
I wonder if the presenters would be willing to release their Powerpoint slides to the web (sorta like Hasbro did with their presentations). Most of them did more than just read their slides, but it would allow people who weren't there the opportunity to see some cool stuff just the same.

The humorous collectibles, bootlegs, international collectibles and coin panels all had slide decks with just a TON of pictures in them.

The Poster panel was one of those "you can only see it there" things, because the presenter actually brought all the posters to the convention himself.
I uploaded my Recycled Toys presentation. It can be downloaded here.

It was the first one on the first day, so I'm afraid many people missed it.

ron

Reaction score

Ron,

Thanks for posting the power point for this. Having gone to the presentation it is nice to be able to slow it down and check out the close up comparisons. My vision from the middle of the room wasn't good enough to catch all the little subtle things in the presentation. Hopefully others will post their power points after the CE show.

Don

Reaction score

Update: So far, folks have hooked me up with, or pledged the following medallions:

Vader
Jawa
Chewbacca

Still looking for the other nine. If anyone is willing to help me, I'd really appreciate the assistance.

Reaction score

Last call for an even trade of my spare Death Squad Commander medallion for any other medallion, (except R2D2, Chewbacca, Obi-Wan, and DS Commander), which I already have.

Reaction score

Hello my fellow C-4 attendees. I was really hopeful to make a full set of these but no luck so far. I have Leia, DS Commander and Ben but am still looking for the others. Please PM me if you can help me out.

Thank you,
JT

Reaction score

I am intrested in acquring/purchasing a Vader and a Jawa medallion.These two characters were my favorite toys when I was growing up.Anybody out there who can help a scummer out. Thank you

Reaction score

Today my set was completed with the last medallion I needed: R2-D2. Two fellow scummers were kind enough to help me complete my set with the 3 medallions I was missing. Couldn't be any happier!!

Reaction score

Glad you finished your set this week as well. I got my last coin on Monday from evilBay. I begged for trades (with no spare medallions myself ) and sales but didn't have the right bait I guess.

Reaction score

BlueSnaggletooth said:
Just got my tracking # - my Medallion holder has shipped! Thanks, Philip!

-Snags
What Snags just said!!
Can't wait to get mine

Thanks Philip and Chris!!

Reaction score

Got my tracking # too this morning! Thanks Philip!

Reaction score

A friend had one for me and I got it this weekend. I just finished assembling it this morning. That paper is tough as anything to remove from the acrylic but once assembled I'm so glad I got one. Philip, Chris, and Nick did an amazing job working on these.

Thanx, Philip, for all the hours of cutting tiny holes.

John

Reaction score

JohnA said:
I just finished assembling it this morning. That paper is tough as anything to remove from the acrylic but once assembled I'm so glad I got one.
John,
Any advice on how to best remove the paper from the acrylic? I haven't gotten mine in but certainly wouldn't want to do anything to damage the overall product.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score

Can anyone help me out with medallions? I have (or will) Vader, Jawa, Death Squad Commander and Chewie...

Reaction score

JangosKid said:
BlueSnaggletooth said:
Just got my tracking # - my Medallion holder has shipped! Thanks, Philip!

-Snags
What Snags just said!!
Can't wait to get mine

Thanks Philip and Chris!!

Got my fed ex info yesterday, my medallion holder will be here on Thurs. Thanks to P. Wise!!

Reaction score

JangosKid said:
Any advice on how to best remove the paper from the acrylic? I haven't gotten mine in but certainly wouldn't want to do anything to damage the overall product.
You won't damage it. Just pick at the edges. I found the corners easiest, but by no means easy. That paper is on there. Just use your nail and get a tiny edge. Keep picking at it until you can grab it and slowly pull. It took about 10 minutes to get all 4 sides.

Be careful with the screws too. They can strip easily if you open and close them too much.

These all sound bad but it's really not. Just treat it delicately and the end result looks AMAZING. I wracked my brain trying to come up with a design to display both C4 and CE sets (2 sets for front and back) and came up with nothing. Once I saw these I changed my goal and idea and bought a frame.
Now for CE...

John

Reaction score

Thanks john - I figured it wouldn't be too bad but I didn't want to do anything that might damage the frame.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score

Question: Is there a special order in which people are arranging the medallions inside the holder? Like, maybe, using the order behind the 12 backs, or the order the medallions were given away, etc. I'm thinking of going for the order used in the back of the 12 cards, once I get my holder. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Reaction score

Me personally - I am going to arrange them in the order of the characters that I like or the importance that I felt they played in SW. I started to think about it when I got my last coin. I will probably make a change here or there once I see the case.

I don't know that you can go wrong - they are yours to do with as they suit you!

Reaction score

ChrisG arranged his in a certain order for all of the displays and the gold sets. I matched mine to the gold set I have and am going to do the same for the CE set. I know he had a reason for them too.

Top row: 4 EB figures
Middle row: Vader and Ben dueling and Han and 3PO to pair with Chewbacca and R2
Bottom row: Stormtrooper and then the 3 late figures in the Original 12

Pretty neat reasoning. I liked it and planned to do it anyway but once I got the gold set I had to match it. Of course, it's all up to the owner.

John

Reaction score

Yeah, John has it all pretty well covered. The final "grouping" is that the bottom row also means the 2 Imperials are paired up and the 2 Tatooine characters paired up as well. Of course people are free to do whatever they like.

Philip just asked me to post this concerning the frames. Unfortunately he's had a weather-related mishap and some extensive flood damage. He's upbeat about it, but it will affect delivery of the frames.

Update

-chris

Reaction score

Thanks! I think I'll just switch R2's spot with Han's. Gotta have the R2/3PO & Chewie/Han pairs.

Reaction score

John, those medallions sure look amazing in the display case. I would definitely group Han with Chewie, and then R2 with 3PO.

Man I wish I was able to snag a set of those bad boys...

Reaction score

Yeah, but then you screw up the Early Bird line-up and those were the first 4 SW figures ever.

-chris

Reaction score

Got my medallion case a few minutes ago!!

Can't wait to get home to put it together!

Reaction score

ChrisGeorgoulias said:
Yeah, but then you screw up the Early Bird line-up and those were the first 4 SW figures ever.

-chris
Ah... see... there is a reason!

Reaction score

OK. So the medallion holder arrived today!!

Just want to share with you guys the happiness my son and I felt when it arrived and was put together! (Well, especially me. LOL!!!) My wife can rest now from hearing me talking about the holder everyday and how cool the medallions will look in it.

Thanks to Ron, Gus, Chris, all who sponsored the medallions and Phillip!!!