Collector fairs?

Reaction score
Yes indeed.

http://www.collectableandmusicfairs.com.au/calendar_8.html

My response seems a bit short so I'm going to pad it with a topical, political Star Wars themed joke:

Why did Han vote for the coalition?
Because they promised to repeal the carbonite tax.

See what I did there. Okay needs work. Maybe it should be Boba/Vader or Lando as they would technically be the carbon producer. Bespin would certainly be in trouble on the mineral resources tax. Anyway I digress.

Reaction score
An update from Parramatta on Sunday.

I arrived at about 7:45 to join a queue of about 40 people. By the time the doors opened at 8am there was maybe 100 people in the line.

My intention in going early had been to make sure I didn't miss out on anything. However the reality is that maybe a third of the sellers actually hadn't finished setting up at that time. So while some are ready for business, others are still unpacking box after box. My time was limited on Sunday so I bailed after 30 minutes - with stalls still being set up and some quite annoying issues with the music/PA system. My only purchase was a corgi yellow submarine which I got for my son.

In terms of Star Wars, the available merchandise was pretty much what was on offer three months ago (see my last report). Only three sellers with vintage and one of them only had half a dozen ROTJ carded figures and a couple of boxed ships.

Cheers,

Bruce

Reaction score
Thanks for the update Bruce. Down in Melbourne we had a Toy Fair at the Malvern town hall about 2 months ago. They only had 1 stall with vintage sw. No carded figures, just loose ranging from C6-8.5. Also had about half a dozen MIB boxed vehicles/playsets. The boxes weren't in great shape and the vehicles/playsets were well loved.
Very tough to find anything these days at Toy Fairs in Aus.

Reaction score
Newcastle collectormania fair: 2nd Feb 2014. Fingers crossed for at least some vintage this time around... was promised last time.. 9am to 3pm. Broadmeadow PCYC.

Reaction score
I hope I can get there but I am travelling back from Sydney that day which is the same day I could be driving to Brisbane as well. I won't know until late next week.

Reaction score
I think I may have to give up on the local collectormania fair.. More disappointing than the last.. whoever promised vintage stuff to me last time turned out to be a liar..
There was one guy though who had a mixed bag of vintage stuff, and was asking low prices which was the fair's only saving grace, as far as I'm concerned. You know who you are (blue kenner shirt), thanks for the cheap price on the AOTC sticker book..
Other than that, a good chat with Dietmar, (a long time collector/seller here in Newcastle), was pleasing.

My son, who is 10, was highly dissatisfied with what was on offer, and he's not that hard to please.. says a lot.

Reaction score
I think I may have to give up on the local collectormania fair.. More disappointing than the last.. whoever promised vintage stuff to me last time turned out to be a liar..
There was one guy though who had a mixed bag of vintage stuff, and was asking low prices which was the fair's only saving grace, as far as I'm concerned. You know who you are (blue kenner shirt), thanks for the cheap price on the AOTC sticker book..
Other than that, a good chat with Dietmar, (a long time collector/seller here in Newcastle), was pleasing.

My son, who is 10, was highly dissatisfied with what was on offer, and he's not that hard to please.. says a lot.

IMO I reckon the collector fairs started dying out around 20006 onwards maybe even earlier.

I remember the last one I went to in 2006 was the one at Malvern Town Hall here in Melbourne and there was SFA there. I haven't been back since.

I think its due to eBay and its convenience as everyone can just buy whatever they like off there instead of having to get out of bed early on a Sunday morning especially if its a cold winters day.

The days of the collector fair booming are long dead unfortunately......

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think I may have to give up on the local collectormania fair.. More disappointing than the last.. whoever promised vintage stuff to me last time turned out to be a liar.. There was one guy though who had a mixed bag of vintage stuff, and was asking low prices which was the fair's only saving grace, as far as I'm concerned. You know who you are (blue kenner shirt), thanks for the cheap price on the AOTC sticker book.. Other than that, a good chat with Dietmar, (a long time collector/seller here in Newcastle), was pleasing. My son, who is 10, was highly dissatisfied with what was on offer, and he's not that hard to please.. says a lot.
Bad luck Darth. Paramatta is in two weeks on the 16th - there is usually some vintage to be had. Might be a bit of a drive, but could restore your faith in the collectors fair.

Cheers,

Bruce

Reaction score
Bad luck Darth. Paramatta is in two weeks on the 16th - there is usually some vintage to be had. Might be a bit of a drive, but could restore your faith in the collectors fair.

Cheers,

Bruce
Parra is good fun and a good morning out, but not really worth the trip any more, unless you have a kid, it would be fun for them.
Theres nothing interesting as far as vintage goes, but tonnes of cheap modern stuff.
Theres a trillion times more stuff on here and ebay, i have a collector fair at my fingers every night on the computer.
But as i said it would be a nice thing to share with your son or daughter if you have kids, but if you already have a decent Vintage SW collection, dont expect to find anything new or of value and theres certainly nothing like bootlegs to get me interested.
cheers

Reaction score
A wet and disappointing trip to Para this morning. The amount of vintage dwindles lower each time I go.

Pat (Darth Daddius) who I have bought from previously (and I had hoped to see again) wasn't there, leaving me to have a look at Costa's offerings (pretty much unchanged from previous 'shows'). So I walked away empty handed. My three and a half year old did better, with a Darth Vader lego minifig and a Spider-Man lego set.

Highlight of the day was seeing a guy in Westfield later that morning with an AT-AT (POTF2) under his arm. Knowing glances were exchanged.

Aussie - they had more bootleg stuff than I have ever seen at a show! It was amazing! (Note - I don't think I've ever seen bootleg for sale offline).

Anyway - next Para fair is May 25th. And Penrith Collectormania is on the 9th March.

On a side note, Drew Lachance linked to a large collection of AFA graded vintage for sale in Queensland on gumtree. The sale/advert has now closed (as has Drew's thread). If anyone in here managed to grab the lot, then please don't be shy - there were a number of items I was interested in if the buyer is thinking of selling individually.

Cheers,

Bruce

Reaction score
Wasn't me Bruce, although I drooled over the ad awhile. My wife would have my left nut (and a lot more) to even entertain the idea of purchasing such a lot.. Would have/Should have cost a bomb..
Congrats to the purchaser.

Reaction score
You are right Bruce, very disappointing turn out, sellers were way down with the side hall almost empty, as for buyers no where near as many as previous fairs, plenty of room to walk around though. I did see 1 seller next to Mr Costa who had 3 repo carded figures, each 1 for $100+, knew what they were but still claimed "that's what they go for". I did pick up a VC Rocket Fett for poops and giggles, my girlfriend Michelle picked up Wicket and Paloo lego figs, VC Ewok Catapult plus a vintage Wicket eraser in keeping with her Ewok fettish she has. I think the highlight of my day was the trip to Ikea though, I finally got the last of my display shelves so I can finally start to get the back room looking good
A wet and disappointing trip to Para this morning. The amount of vintage dwindles lower each time I go.

Pat (Darth Daddius) who I have bought from previously (and I had hoped to see again) wasn't there, leaving me to have a look at Costa's offerings (pretty much unchanged from previous 'shows'). So I walked away empty handed. My three and a half year old did better, with a Darth Vader lego minifig and a Spider-Man lego set.

Highlight of the day was seeing a guy in Westfield later that morning with an AT-AT (POTF2) under his arm. Knowing glances were exchanged.

Aussie - they had more bootleg stuff than I have ever seen at a show! It was amazing! (Note - I don't think I've ever seen bootleg for sale offline).

Anyway - next Para fair is May 25th. And Penrith Collectormania is on the 9th March.

On a side note, Drew Lachance linked to a large collection of AFA graded vintage for sale in Queensland on gumtree. The sale/advert has now closed (as has Drew's thread). If anyone in here managed to grab the lot, then please don't be shy - there were a number of items I was interested in if the buyer is thinking of selling individually.

Cheers,

Bruce

Reaction score

Cheers,

Bruce
Hi bruce, what sort of bootleg stuff was there mate, vintage or modern? and whats countries was it from mate? cheers

Reaction score
Morning Aussie,

Sorry - my sarcasm plainly doesn't work in written form.

There was no bootleg at all. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Your earlier comments about Para were spot on. It's a nice trip (despite the rain) on a Sunday morning, but the rewards are virtually non-existent. Better off online.

Cheers,

Bruce

Reaction score
Morning Aussie,

Sorry - my sarcasm plainly doesn't work in written form.

There was no bootleg at all. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Your earlier comments about Para were spot on. It's a nice trip (despite the rain) on a Sunday morning, but the rewards are virtually non-existent. Better off online.

Cheers,

Bruce
LOL Bruce, i was thinking **** ive only ever seen one boot there, how and who had boots there, i was spewing id missed it, i just couldnt believe it lol, you got me mate lol.

Its a fun trip to Parra, and if i lived there id go every time for a bit of fun, but theres nothing there that if you had been collecting for a few years you wouldnt have, although i did pick up a nice POTF luke stormy without a helmet for $30 once, and i picked up plenty of loose there years ago when i was starting out again, so its fun for somebody thats looking for a few basics, and i do enjoy looking at all the other toys.

Theres a bloke costa there who used to own bondi comic bug before it shut, he has a few vintage, but in this day and age with the net im not having my intelligence insulted by his prices, i dont even bother looking at his items anymore.

cheers mate

Reaction score
Guys

i saw a guy advertising on Gumtree...he has a stall at chandler markets QLD...I know this isn't a fair but maybe there is more stalls there ??? He seems to have decent numbers available

cheers

Reaction score
I never managed to get any items of this seller but I did email him about the lot, lets just say he wanted a little over 50k for them all

Cheers,

Bruce

Reaction score
Hmm. That sounds like the end of the collectors fairs. Putting aside whether ACA actually have there facts straight, if the fairs start having to pay full rate for the venue hire, then those costs will have to be covered - either by increased fees to stallholders or higher entry charges. It's inevitably going to raise questions about the viability of the quarterly fairs.

Sigh.

Reaction score
There a waste of time I reckon.

I haven't been to one since 2009 at the Malvern Town Hall down here in Melbourne and boy was it lame!

Shame, used to be great around 2001-2003 when I regularly went.

Reaction score
Guys - The Annual Adelaide Mega Toy Fair will be on again this year - May 31 -June1 at the Adelaide Showgrounds - last year there was a fair bit of SW - Its well worth a visit if you're in SA??

Cheers, Andrew B

Reaction score
It looks like the Parramatta Fair is no more.

The website has gone (http://www.collectableandmusicfairs.com.au) and a google search produces a few discussion threads from other hobbies that appear to confirm it's finished.

Has anyone heard officially?
Well that will be sad if its gone, thanks for the update Bruce, there was nothing much to take my fancy there any more, but it was a fun morning, especially to take the kids if you have them.
RIP Parra collectors fair.

Reaction score
Yes, just done a bit of research on this, certainly looks like its all over.
Its ALLEGED that the owner of these collector fairs was using certain charities names to promote the fairs and get discounts from Parra city council to use their hall, but these charities have said they never knew about it and have never seen a cent from him.
ACA did a story on it, sorry im not great with links, but theres plenty of news regarding this on Mousedroid forum in the collector fairs and convention forum.
Theres talk that others might take over, but parra council charges $2300 per day for the hall, its alleged that this owner of the collector fairs was getting it for under $30 an hour because he told the council it was for charity, so $2300 per day is a lot for anybody wishing to take over.

My comments above are all alligations put forward by ACA and the two charities involved in their on air investigation, that can be seen through the link on mousedroid.

sad day for collector fairs in Sydney, looks like this could be the last.

Reaction score
I always enjoyed going to the Parra Fair, Michelle and I have always made a day of it, 1st the Fair for me then off to the DFO's for her retail therapy, followed by some lunch and a trip to Ikea before the trek back to Newcastle, I don't like the idea of just Michelle getting the day for herself:disgusted:. I was only taking to a friend in Sydney about 3 weeks ago, he rang Parra Council and according to them the Fair is still going ahead but things can change real quick
Yes, just done a bit of research on this, certainly looks like its all over.

GNT

Reaction score
No huge loss really, you could probably do better searching eBay and finding a bargain there instead. Lots easier.

Reaction score
I stopped going years ago -- no great loss in my eyes.
Overpriced stock, coupled with a mass of unwashed toy geeks makes me want to hurl.

How many of you know that while you were waiting for the doors to open, dealers would be ceremoniously walking around, buying up all of the good stuff, from other tables?

Best off finding trade buddies, etailers or using eBay.

Reaction score
Personally I think it's a bit sad. For me:

I like to go to pour over items I like, but would occasionally find something else of particular interest (maybe not star wars, but other).
I like the personal touch in speaking with people of similar interest.
I like to pass out the 'numbers I need' from vintage card sets (or modern) to a number of dealers in one location.
I like to take my son with me, and he likes to come as well, to look for things he likes.
I don't like to pay ridiculous postage prices on items even though it may be for something I have desired for time.
I like to be able to bundle and bargain at my hearts content.
I don't like knowing that there is a careless marketing agent collecting large sums at the behest of sellers who do the work (yet all they provide is the vehicle).

It's a great day out that you can do with more than one person..
Yet again we are destined to be slaves to the machine.

Long live the collector fair! (a futile shout no doubt)

Reaction score
Really good to see SupaNova events catering our desires:
Next event is:
Sydney 2014
June 13-15
Sydney Showground
Olympic Park

Also in other states..
Highlights (for me) at this event are:
Stan Lee appearance and auto/photo opportunity with Ms Erin Gray from Buck Rogers fame.. Her auto/pic prices are reasonably low..
Tickets are around $27.50 to attend..

Reaction score
Erin Gray would be cool - she could maybe sign my Monogram Starfighter boxed kit, or BR Card Set..??

AB

Reaction score
Does anyone who is planning to attend Supanova want to meet up at the event? I'm certainly going and was wondering if there was any appetite for a Sydney scum catch-up?

Cheers,

Bruce

Reaction score
I will be attending on Saturday, but am unsure of time etc.. pretty sure my son will be coming too. keep you posted..

BTW: Found out about this one today..

Collectormania Event Sunday 8th June..
Usual suspects I think..
Admission is $5/Adult, $3/Child..

Given what was at the last, I'm not hopeful of what to find (practically nil/washout like event last time)
Kind of don't want to go but most likely will.

Sorry..2nd edit... Broadmeadow PCYC 9am-3pm (Newcastle)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll be there on Saturday morning - probably between 10 and noon. Looks like it will be a family outing.

Hopefully the guys from the 501st are there - my four year old son would love to see stormtroopers and Lord Vader.

Cheers,

Bruce

Reaction score
501st will be in attendance. A good friend of mine is a member of our local branch. The info came from the horses mouth, or so to speak.. Hope to arrive the same time..