Collector fairs?

Reaction score
Does anyone know if any are on?

plz post them here.
i live near Sydney, so any fairs around there (eg. Parramatta, Penrith, I've been to fairs there, and got some cool stuff there), would be helpful. Dates, times, and locations plz. I got some really good stuff there, including vintage and modern figures. I also saw sideshow figs for about $50-100, including commander Cody ( I want him).

thanks.

Reaction score
Parramatta sci-fi fair at parra town hall is pretty good, its on the last sunday of the month 4 times a year, google it to find out the dates, thats about the only one i know, cheers mate

Reaction score
Just found this info for one here in Newcastle.. 2 hour drive for you..

Newcastle Collectors Show - SAT 22ND JUNE, 2013

Where: Wesley Hall – 150 Beaumont St Hamilton, Newcastle NSW 2303
When: Saturday the 22nd of June,
From 9 till 12noon.
Description
It is a market filled with all kinds of cool collectables like:

Movie, TV, Pop Culture, Figurines, collectable toys, Comics, Records, Cards & Memorabilia.

NRL, NBA, AFL, Cricket Cards & Sports Memorabilia.

Magic Cards with tournament & Great prizes.

THERE WILL ALSO BE A MAGIC THE GATHERING TOURNAMENT.

If you would like some information on booking a table to display and sell your collectables. Just email: collectorsfair@live.com.au

Last edited:
Reaction score
Next Parra fair is 2 weeks today, may 19
Parramatta Collectable and Music Fairs

Interesting about that newcastle fair, darthdad. I might have to check that out, being a fellow novocastrian.

i have stuff to sell too, but might have a look to see what its like first before i commit to getting a table.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If anyone is heading to the Parra Fair, i have a very short list of cards i am after i'd love help finding.
I will be happy to pay $5 plus postage for a 1977 Scanlens Star Wars #2 card. This is the only card i need to complete my old set of cards. Any condition.
I will also be happy to pay up to $15 per card for the following cards:
1976 Scanlens Surfboard Action Series #1,2,3,6,7,9,12,15,18,19,22,24,25,26,27,28,29..

Any help will be duly rewarded. Thankyou very much if you can help. LMK..

Last edited:
Reaction score
If anyone is heading to the Parra Fair, i have a very short list of cards i am after i'd love help finding.
I will be happy to pay $5 plus postage for a 1977 Scanlens Star Wars #2 card. This is the only card i need to complete my old set of cards. Any condition.
I will also be happy to pay up to $15 per card for the following cards:
1976 Scanlens Surfboard Action Series #1,2,3,6,7,9,12,15,18,19,22,24,25,26,27,28,29..

Darth do you know a guy called David Swadling, he is a member of the parra eels forum 1eyed eel im on, he has a card site and deals in all the old scanlens cards ?

Reaction score
His name rings a bell but no immediate connection. Have been collecting for many years and have had many references. Is there a chance you could provide a link to his site, a lead would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Mr. Fortuna

The surfboard cards are rare as hens teeth and have had little luck on many many avenues.. I have 2 spares from this old set for trade only, #8 & #17, both near mint to mint.. also have a few 1976 scanlens 'skateboard safety hints' cards for trade or sale if Mr Swadling is interested. Really appreciate your help..

Reaction score
His name rings a bell but no immediate connection. Have been collecting for many years and have had many references. Is there a chance you could provide a link to his site, a lead would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Mr. Fortuna

The surfboard cards are rare as hens teeth and have had little luck on many many avenues.. I have 2 spares from this old set for trade only, #8 & #17, both near mint to mint.. also have a few 1976 scanlens 'skateboard safety hints' cards for trade or sale if Mr Swadling is interested. Really appreciate your help..
Darth i dont have a link but i'll send him a message on the eels site and see what he says mate, cheers

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys! I went to the parramatta fair, got a LOT of marvel legends. Saw a LEGO tusken raider attack, and star wars hasbro 12 inch figures for $15 each. Really good deals. Will be going to the next one.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys! I went to the parramatta fair, got a LOT of marvel legends. Saw a LEGO tusken raider attack, and star wars hasbro 12 inch figures for $15 each. Really good deals. Will be going to the next one.

Thanks!
Hi mate, was there much vintage or loose figures at the parra fair this year ? cheers

Reaction score
re. Supanova 2013
Well what an event!
Ended up getting both the photo op and autograph from our dear princess Carrie Fisher, she is exceptionally welcoming, warm and open and I would have loved to have had time with her for a bit of discussion, but with so many others there, there was no chance of even entertaining the thought. Happy with the short meet and greet (and a little hug) all the same.
Plenty to see and do, some great costumes, some not so.. heaps and heaps of merchandise but very little bargain and limited vintage stock. For that matter, what vintage I did find was heavily priced which is becoming more and more common I find..
Anyway, to all Perthians... get in early satisfaction guaranteed!
Thanks to the organisers (and of course the fans)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice darth, thanks for the review, i never thought they would have people selling vintage there, what sort of stuff was on offer mate? cheers

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

More of a lurker, rather than a poster, but I made it along to Supanova in Sydney.

I only found one chap selling vintage - Mick 'Fett' - can't recall his surname but he's on Facebook and probably a member here as well. I think he lives in Wollongong.

Anyway, Mick had a rack of carded vintage, nearly all ROTJ in varying conditions - all looking quite reasonable though - and for what I would describe as sensible pricing. He had an SW Walrus - I don't recall seeing any ESB carded and there were two POTF (Warok caught my eye). He also had a case of loose last 17. And I picked up a blue snag.

He also had a few toltoys VcJs - he had sent four for grading and only one came back confirmed. He's since sold one.

Nice bloke. Had a lot of modern as well.

Cheers,

Bruce

Additional edit - his name is Mick Pylak - have a Google and check out Youtube results

Last edited:
Reaction score
^
As above mentioned, Mick Fett's store was one that was selling vintage mostly. I thought his pricing was reasonable only if you could strike a deal with an offer. The carded items he had on display imo were priced roughly $20 too high per item, I guess that's fine for his bargaining power, but one example which was skiff lando, card wasn't brilliant and I believe it had a price sticker on front, was set at $80, wher I believe a more attractive price of $50 would have more reasonable. Lumat if I remember right was around $100, the SW Walrusman was $200 (I think), cards weren't great though. He also had an item not for sale but displayed was a 12-back leia autographed at the event and I couldn't get an idea of what he valued the card and figure at. Again though, the card was rough, price sticker residue on bubble... He may very well have had more items but I was there Sunday only, not Saturday for the earlier pickings, so perhaps he had some better items that i'm sure had already been sold though. He seemed like a very nice fella but.
Some other stores had the odd figure, comic book and so forth, but you had to dig a bit and again, I was met with some fairly unreasonable price settings and an unwillingness to take offers.

It was great to see so many people in attendance there and a pleasure to meet new faces. A special mention to Craig (can't remember your last name sorry) who played a few roles as an extra in AOTC, he played klaatu enforcer, the neimoidian who was tapped his fingers in the bar scene, and one other masked role.. (it'll come back to me when i'm not thinking of it). He had a very nice '83 ROTJ one-sheet poster which he had signed by the wonderful Ms Fisher, and the guy in front of us who had a 12-back leia in pristine condition (that good it could have been repro - deadset c9+) that he was having autographed for his sister! Nice work.
Yes, finding vintage product outside of the web is becoming more difficult, and simply fetching higher prices day-by-day. Anyway, I am most looking forward to next years event already.. Bring it on!

Edit: The anime costumes some ladies were kind of wearing kept me smiling too!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vintage MOCs generally decrease in value when they are autographed. Interesting about Mick having 3 jawas knocked back. I know he was buying up on spotted jawas. Be interesting to know why they knocked him back. Might have to send him a FB message.
Disappointing that there wasnt more vintage there!

Reaction score
Next Parramatta fair date set to August 18, the same weekend is the Sydney Collectables Fair & Exhibition at Penrith Panthers Marquee.

Reaction score
That was a bit dumb, you'd think it would be pretty easy to avoid a clash. Parra dates are usually set for the year at the start of the year. Im guessing Penrith have stuffed this one up. Be interesting to see which one wins out. Years ago, Parra would have had more sellers easily. Might be a bit tighter these days. There will be some unhappy sellers thats for sure, as some of them need these fairs for their incomes.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for guidance. Paramatta and the Sydney Collectibles is on the same date - also clashing with my wedding anniversary. So getting to one is possible but there is no chance of both. I'm a vintage kind of guy - carded and loose - which should I go to? Haven't attended either before - make most of my purchases online/overseas, but keen to find out what's available locally.

Cheers,

Bruce

Reaction score
Hi Bruce.
For vintage star wars, I would most likely attend the Parramatta Fair. The main reason I say that is because I know that vintage star wars figures are a commonly found collectible at the fairs. To be honest I really am unsure what may be found at Penrith Collector meet.
If this day falls on your wedding anniversary, could I suggest you take your mrs. with you? Perhaps you'll find the one item you've been wanting for some time available there, and perhaps the mrs. might like to get you that particular item while you weren't looking.. just saying..

Good luck.
To be honest though, there are plenty of trustworthy and reliable sellers here in Vintage classifieds with items at much lower cost than the dealers attending the fairs will ask. It'd be worth the look.
Regards.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for guidance. Paramatta and the Sydney Collectibles is on the same date - also clashing with my wedding anniversary. So getting to one is possible but there is no chance of both. I'm a vintage kind of guy - carded and loose - which should I go to? Haven't attended either before - make most of my purchases online/overseas, but keen to find out what's available locally.

Cheers,

Bruce
Hi Bruce, mate you will do 100 times better on here or ebay than any sydney collectables fair.
There is a tiny amount of vintage at parra and its not cheap.
The deals in the classifieds here are heaps better, your not missing much not going, go on your anniversary with your missus, thats the important thing, the look through the for sale threads here and on TIG, you will find 1000 more items for a cheaper price.
cheers

Reaction score
Hi Darth and Aussie,

Thanks for the comments. I'm in complete agreement that buying online through eBay, RS and TiG is the way to go in terms of access to top-notch items at good prices (though the shipping cost is obviously a little annoying).

However, when the opportunity arises, I do enjoy making contact with sellers in the local community. I've been attending Supanova for the last couple of years and its always been fun (though the presence of vintage is in decline). I was just trying to get a handle on what I could hope to find at Paramatta for example. I'll probably go along and let you know what's there.

Anniversary dinner the night before so it'll be a family outing to Para on the day - just hope my wife doesn't buy more nonsense than I do.

Darth - I read with interest your watch out thread. Glad to hear you got the refund, shame about the shipping cost though :-(

Cheers,

Bruce

Reaction score
Hi Darth and Aussie,

Thanks for the comments. I'm in complete agreement that buying online through eBay, RS and TiG is the way to go in terms of access to top-notch items at good prices (though the shipping cost is obviously a little annoying).

However, when the opportunity arises, I do enjoy making contact with sellers in the local community. I've been attending Supanova for the last couple of years and its always been fun (though the presence of vintage is in decline). I was just trying to get a handle on what I could hope to find at Paramatta for example. I'll probably go along and let you know what's there.

Anniversary dinner the night before so it'll be a family outing to Para on the day - just hope my wife doesn't buy more nonsense than I do.

Darth - I read with interest your watch out thread. Glad to hear you got the refund, shame about the shipping cost though :-(

Cheers,

Bruce
I agree mate, its fun to be able to just go and look at vintage items and meet people, thats the only real reason i go to the fairs, and hoping i might find a lost gem of a piece.

I must say as im getting further along with my collecting theres very rarely anything there i dont have, but i agree, its fun going, and its fun seeing the other toy lines there too.

Whats the date of the next one Bruce? And whats the other sydney collectables you are talking about, ive never been, where is it and tell me a bit about it and whats there?

cheers mate

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind if I chime in. The next Parra Fair is on the 18th Aug and if I am correct I think the Sydney Collectables he is referring to is the 1 at Penrith? If it is I went last year and they had a lot of Die-cast cars, trading cards plus they held the Coke collectors swap meet at the same time so lots of Coke gear, almost no vintage to be seen then. Hope this helps
Scott

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind if I chime in. The next Parra Fair is on the 18th Aug and if I am correct I think the Sydney Collectables he is referring to is the 1 at Penrith? If it is I went last year and they had a lot of Die-cast cars, trading cards plus they held the Coke collectors swap meet at the same time so lots of Coke gear, almost no vintage to be seen then. Hope this helps
Scott
Hey thanks Scotty, and i appreciate you chiming in buddy, you answered every question i had lol, thats great of you buddy, i might see vyou at Parra on the 18th if i could be bothered getting up on time lol, cheers mate

Reaction score
I will be at Parra nice and early. I always try to be the perfect boyfriend when the fair comes around, if that doesn't work I just buy a little something with a ewok that way I can spend that little more

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'll be heading to Parra early as well. If you happen to see/overhear a handsome Scottish bloke wrestling his unruly three year-old son, then please don't hesitate to say 'hello'.

Cheers,

Bruce

Reaction score
Just a heads up for another local collector's fair this weekend (August 17th/18th).

The Our Town Model Show is an annual (or seemingly more regular of late) fair where modelers come to show off their great setups. Mainly train sets and the like. I have attended the last few and there is always some star wars to be found. Some vintage, some modern.
The last show had little vintage, but one fella had a great display of sideshow collectibles from his collection he was selling. Some were great looking pieces but I walked away empty handed, (but my son did not).
The show before last had a guy selling a lot of loose vintage figures and the odd vintage oddity but what I really was interested in to purchase (but didn't - silly me) was a complete set of vintage Panini (I think) Buck Rogers stickers and sticker book. He had he set at a ridiculous price of $35 and I let it go... ii hope he is there again, with another set at the same price. Chances?

Anyway.. I find it fairly easy to wander around the stalls for a few hours, poke and pick, and in the meantime have some leisure time to spend with my son.

The only downside to this fair is that it costs $10 per adult, and $5 per child.. sucks nuts a bit, but wont make me complain too much for the daytime outing.

Here is a link to the webpage:Our Town Model Show

Reaction score
Hey Darthdad
I think I know the guy the you are talking about who had the big display of Sideshow collectables at the Our Town Fair, he actually lives around the corner from my house, he isn't doing it this year as he is coming with me for a look at Parra. I have never been to it myself but will 1 year I hope, love walking around and having a look

Reaction score
Bummer. Was hoping to meet Glenn and a few other locals this weekend. Im going on saturday morning to have a look.
I'll wear my blue kenner shirt. If any of you locals see me, stop and say gday!

Reaction score
Just a follow up for the local model expo.
There was absolutely nil star wars, zip, nada, nothing at all (that I found).
I walked away though with a 2013 Hot wheels Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper which was $8 which I am happy with. Nice die cast viper. Cool item.
My boy got an old matchbox GWR diecast train, which he is happy with.
Had a nice lunch of fish n chips, a bit of salad on the side.
Met a great, extremely talented modeller by the name of Kevin Hobson, a retired instrument maker who now spends a lot of his time making models from scratch. Full timber models with magnificent old school skills. A long chat and some commendation from me on his displays.. perfection has taken him a long time to reach, but perfection in skilled handiwork he obviously has. Humbled, am I. The two models he had on display were both scratch built, the amazing HMS Beagle 1:64 scale (this was a true piece of art) in a just as amazing base and display case. The other was a WW2 Sopwith Camel, both in walnut and brass. If I can find a link to some pics I will add later, but you really had to see his stuff in person to truly appreciate the effort (4 years full time on the Beagle!)..

Anyways, I have info on the next local meet here in Newcastle for collectors, as follows:
Newcastle Collectormania Fair
29th September
P.C.Y.C
Broadmeadow
9am to 3pm
Adults $5, kids free (yippee!)

My only gripe with the our town fair is the entry prices asked, they could have halved the entry fee and made it more inviting that way. Plenty there all the same. Greed 'aint good..

If anybody wants more info on the upcoming Newcastle collectormania fair, please ask..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Evening. Here's a quick wrap-up of my first trip to the Parramatta Collectables Fair earlier today.

Arrived at about 10:30am and the place was pretty busy. $4 entrance fee at that time. The main hall was lined with tables with a central set of stands as well - the stage was also full and a second smaller hall to the left was also very busy.

I was very, very pleasantly surprised. Found two stalls selling carded vintage. The first was a chap (possibly called Scott) who was selling vintage from his own collection - he was starting a new focus on vader items. He had some loose as well - last 17, and others all looking good - e.g. an Uzay vader. I thought his stuff was very reasonably priced and I picked up an ESB AT-AT Driver (no offer/ungraded) and an Imperial Tie Fighter Pilot (revenge offer/ungraded/clear bubble) - both in very good condition for what I thought was an excellent price. He had other items I could have bought but didn't want to go crazy (ESB FX-7 almost had me). I wanted to chat more but my three year-old was being a handful. Nice guy and nice transaction - didn't have a card - I should have pressed him for an email.

Over the other side was a chap with some higher priced items - SW C3PO, Stormtrooper, POTF Luke Stormie, A-Wing Pilot - all AFA graded. Non graded Imperial Gunner, PoTF ewoks, ROTJ Luke bespin, to name a few. His prices were a little more expensive and I would say he was more commercially focused than the other seller. The highlight of what he was offering - an ungraded POTF Yak - $3k. I bought the A-wing pilot. Again didn't have much time for proper chat - my son nearly pushed over approximately 50 TMNT figures!

There were a couple of other stalls with one or two vintage carded items - ROTJ figs. Surprised there wasn't more loose vintage for sale. Lots of modern carded figures - I don't know much about them so can't go into detail. A heck of a lot of trading cards - all sorts of movies, tv, baseball, etc. Walking Dead trading cards - is that entirely wholesome? Interestingly a stand representing a card grading/archive service in Australia. Comics a plenty and DVDs as well.

I was really impressed by what I found. There was a lot more vintage than I expected and in general a huge amount of other non-SW items that were great to see - was very tempted by a boxed Steve Austin!

Next fair is November 17th. I'll maybe try and get along to pre-purchase my Christmas prezzies.

Cheers,

Bruce

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi BruceR, the first chap you are referring to is Pat, top guy who loves his Vaders, he done ok with some help from you. I did see someone eyeing off his AtAt and Tie pilot, must have been you, I was up near the stairs with some sideshow, my name is Scott, all my vintage was gone bar 1 moc. The other guy across the room was Costa, very overpriced in my opinion, the Afa 80 A-Wing you purchased was mine originally, plus some others he had, I got what I wanted for them but that's what Costa does

Reaction score
Hi BruceR, the first chap you are referring to is Pat, top guy who loves his Vaders, he done ok with some help from you. I did see someone eyeing off his AtAt and Tie pilot, must have been you, I was up near the stairs with some sideshow, my name is Scott, all my vintage was gone bar 1 moc. The other guy across the room was Costa, very overpriced in my opinion, the Afa 80 A-Wing you purchased was mine originally, plus some others he had, I got what I wanted for them but that's what Costa does
oh wow, this dude's reselling your stuff a floor away from you??

Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Pat (thanks for the reminder on his name) did indeed mention you. Did you have a graded ESB Tusken Raider for sale? I got the impression that I'd probably already missed some good stuff as I didn't arrive until 10:30am.

That's funny about the A-Wing Pilot - I was a little hesitant and should really have tried for a lower price, but I'm quite happy with it. If I'd bought it online I would have paid $40 in shipping costs, so it's not too bad. The highlight was the figures I bought from Pat - very happy with those.

Do you attend regularly as a seller? Or was Sunday a one-off?

Cheers,

Bruce

EDIT - just came across Darth Daddius's Vader limelight....... wow! Just - wow!

Last edited:
Reaction score
A little reminder for this weekend..
Newcastle Collectormania Fair
29th September
P.C.Y.C
Broadmeadow
9am to 3pm
Adults $5, kids free (yippee!)