Collection database or registration

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of a good collection tracking database for higher end collectables (Gentle Giant, Master Replicas, etc) but could be general Star Wars collecting too I suppose. I use Collectorz for my comics and it's a crowd sourced database that's pretty good. I wrote an Access database back in the day but it was kind of a nightmare amount of data entry and I'd imagine a crowd-sourced thing has to be out there but I did some searching and didn't find anything. Starwars.com had an article listing four collection tracking sites/software packages and half of them are defunct so I am hesitant to go with anything too rinky dink where a lot of effort vanishes.

I also remember seeing a site where you'd "register" what edition number you had... so you could enter all your busts, etc and what number you had but I stumbled upon it once and then never could find it again.

Anyone have any ideas or used anything good? My current excel spreadsheet really isn't ideal.

Ben

Reaction score
The only thing like that that I recall was on GentleGiantcollectors.com and it’s not operational any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yes that was the registration site I'd seen. Clearly it's offline. Thanks, it was driving me crazy. Still, I know there are great crowd sourced databases for DVDs, books, comics, etc... maybe even action figures, but I'm surprised there's not something for Star Wars collecting that's more robust than what I've stumbled on thus far.

Reaction score
Yes that was the registration site I'd seen. Clearly it's offline. Thanks, it was driving me crazy. Still, I know there are great crowd sourced databases for DVDs, books, comics, etc... maybe even action figures, but I'm surprised there's not something for Star Wars collecting that's more robust than what I've stumbled on thus far.
You’re welcome.
Yeah, one would think, but no one else has done it that I’m aware of.

Reaction score
I just looked at it quickly, but at first glance it just seems like a site that shows what’s been released so far, but it doesn’t offer a place to keep a registry for yourself including edition numbers, wether you own one or not and things like that. I may be speaking out of turn, but I think that’s what he’s looking for… A place where he can keep tabs of what exactly he has.

Reaction score
Unless I’m missing something, our own registry seems like what you want. I’ve never done it and it made me register, but I’m probably going to add my entire collection.... seems handy for lots of reasons.

On 2nd look, it seems like it may have not been updated for a bit. Still gonna try it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am kind of surprised how many holes there are in the image gallery actually. I feel like taking some images and submitting them just so it's more complete.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I think that level of interesting and dedication has waned from this hobby which is why it’s the way it is.

Reaction score
I'd say a lot of that is because of the number of people who buy up stuff to flip it for double money.

Reaction score
As far as Gentle Giant goes, which I figure is what we are discussing here since this is the Gentle Giant section, the main reason why there's a lack of interest deals with the company wrong doings, a combination of all of these:

- Long Delays

- High Prices for Product

- High Prices for shipping

- High Price for the PGM

- Less PGM "gifts"

- Lack of variety

- Leaning for certain trilogy and cartoons

- Few yearly releases

- Edition sizes being too small for certain characters.

- Repetition of main characters

- Ignoring requested characters

- Making characters no one asked for

- Walking away mostly from the 12" line of statues and creating smaller ones not popular

- Quality control issues

- Cheap styrofoam shells

- Horrible customer service

- Unfriendly policies

Reaction score
Has moving to Diamond helped with any of these? I know they're responsible for the cheap Styrofoam. Definitely hope the paint and QC doesn't get worse!

Reaction score
Has moving to Diamond helped with any of these? I know they're responsible for the cheap Styrofoam. Definitely hope the paint and QC doesn't get worse!

Not really. They are responsible for :

- Cutting down the PGM gifts from 2 to just 1

- High shipping costs to Europe.

- Awful styrofoam shells

- Bad paint jobs for the McQuarrie Sandtrooper and broken rifles.

- Extreme delays for the PGM gifts from 2019 ( not with us yet) while releasing others announced after.

- Enticing people to renew a membership this year in order to get the SDCC Johnston Boba Fett, while not shipping it as usual after the convention, and not having a determined time of shipping.

- Not listening to collectors that strongly suggested the Tarkin mini bust not to have a clenched fist but rather his arm behind his back.

- Weird pose for Ponda Baba pointing with his hand. Not a single picture of the finished product either.

- Creating a number of statue scales no one asked for : 1/7, 1/8, 1/10 while slowing down the most requested 12" scale.

- Ignoring a strong following for the Malakili mini bust and censoring some posts about it on Facebook

- Coming up with a smaller line of busts no one asked about and not very popular, while ignoring requests for lots of OT and PT characters for the regular mini bust line

- Sudden offering of the Ahsoka trooper, yet re-using an old sculpt while still charging a premium.

Reaction score

Like two mini-busts came with the cheap styrofoam and then they went back to the old style after they heard from customers that we didn’t like the flaky stuff. Also, while it’s not across the board, a lot of pieces have cost less since Diamond took over. Also, they're not charging sales tax for out of state purchases like 3D Systems was.

in 12 or 13 years of collecting mini-busts, I bet I haven’t had more than three pieces arrive with paint or damage issues, and the yellow first order stormtrooper is the only one they didn’t make right.

Sure, shipping and delivery of product this year is a mess, but lots of companies are experiencing that. Overall, I think things have generally been fine since Diamond took over

Complaining about how terrible they are is all the rage, but generally a little patience, and not buying items you don’t like could replace a lot of that.

Reaction score
That's kind of my thoughts... They have more experience than 3D studios did as far as manufacturing. Hopefully they'll hear the feedback and stay on course. That said... Since the prices have doubled since the line's start... It's hard to see them selling thousands again. Maybe Diamond will find they'll sell more of they charge a little less.

Reaction score
in 12 or 13 years of collecting mini-busts, I bet I haven’t had more than three pieces arrive with paint or damage issues, and the yellow first order stormtrooper is the only one they didn’t make right.

Sure, shipping and delivery of product this year is a mess, but lots of companies are experiencing that. Overall, I think things have generally been fine since Diamond took over

Complaining about how terrible they are is all the rage, but generally a little patience, and not buying items you don’t like could replace a lot of that.
I've been collecting mini busts for about the same length of time. Only in the past 2 -3 years have I dealt with Gentle Giant direct. So far I've had a statue that didn't fit on the base due to a bent foot peg - quality control issues. Obi- wan light up bust that didn't light up, the replacement for which they managed to send to themselves and deny it for several days telling me the tracking was wrong. My holiday Boba Fett arrived with a broken gun and no replacement was available. Amanaman arrived with the staff broken out of his hand due to the staff being too long. I placed an order that was posted out on the 16th June which is still yet to arrive and so far my 4 emails on the subject to customer service have been ignored.

In the 10 years prior buying from other sources I've only had one damaged bust.

From my experience they are pretty terrible