Collecting, the slow down or calling it a day?

Reaction score
I wonder how much the collector base will shrink - or if it shrinks - after the forthcoming ANH mains are released. Chris from Bantha Skull mentioned on a live stream he may start to "sunset" his collecting habits after those come out, and I've had thoughts along the same lines.

I would like that very much. The new media is not that appealing to me. My pipe dream is for Hasbro to get it right and do the remaining OT Retro figures that need to truly make the original vintage line complete without over doing it with too many background characters. I can definitely live without TVC is that was the case. If not, I’ll just be a Ross and Ollie’s Raider because I’m not paying full price for new media stuff anymore and that seems to be the 85% of TVC.

I wonder how much the collector base will shrink - or if it shrinks - after the forthcoming ANH mains are released. Chris from Bantha Skull mentioned on a live stream he may start to "sunset" his collecting habits after those come out, and I've had thoughts along the same lines.
I don't nor have I ever really understood this mindset, but to each their own. I mean in all honesty you could have sunset your collection a long time ago with the 10th, 20th, or 50th release of said character. Why now all of a sudden? And if it's all around "Vintage Card" you don't need to wait on super articulation if it's just going to be trapped in a bubble.

However, I do see why a person would just want to call it a day after 40+ years in the game if certain characters just aren't going to happen. I've got a whole page of stuff that I've now come to the realization Hasbro just won't bother with in today's climate, while TAC was great for EU as well as Legacy if it didn't get released in those two lines it's most likely not ever going to happen now. Way too much new media to have to cover now days as well as keeping mains available, and for me the new media just isn't appealing enough outside a few selections which lowers overall interest if everything I'm into is mostly repacks or lackluster kitbash like Jango.

I was an am still seriously considering wrapping it up by 2024's end, then along came this Cantina. Now I'll need to stay in for the hopes of seeing a few new Patrons, and whatever else might be hiding in the "Return to Tatooine" theme, hopefully TPM Anakin and Padme.

Last edited:
I don't nor have I ever really understood this mindset, but to each their own. I mean in all honesty you could have sunset your collection a long time ago with the 10th, 20th, or 50th release of said character. Why now all of a sudden? And if it's all around "Vintage Card" you don't need to wait on super articulation if it's just going to be trapped in a bubble.

However, I do see why a person would just want to call it a day after 40+ years in the game if certain characters just aren't going to happen. I've got a whole page of stuff that I've now come to the realization Hasbro just won't bother with in today's climate, while TAC was great for EU as well as Legacy if it didn't get released in those two lines it's most likely not ever going to happen now. Way too much new media to have to cover now days as well as keeping mains available, and for me the new media just isn't appealing enough outside a few selections which lowers overall interest if everything I'm into is mostly repacks or lackluster kitbash like Jango.

I was an am still perilously considered wrapping it up by 2024's end, then along came this Cantina. Now I'll need to stay in for the hopes of seeing a few new Patrons, and whatever else might be hiding in the "Return to Tatooine" theme, hopefully TPM Anakin and Padme.
True. I could see "sunsetting" back in 2014 or so when Hasbro kept cutting corners to control costs and stay within the kiddy allowance price point. It seemed like new figures were consistently worse than what came before so it would have been a natural cut off point.

Ever since Hasbro pretty much abandoned low cost toys in favor of pricier collectibles though every new release gets better with innovation in sculpting or paint or articulation. Then of course every character needs an upgrade to be "definitive."

All it will take for for the sun to rise again for some of these sundowners is "Boba Fett but with new hips" or something.

1hVD.gif

I was an am still seriously considering wrapping it up by 2024's end, then along came this Cantina. Now I'll need to stay in for the hopes of seeing a few new Patrons, and whatever else might be hiding in the "Return to Tatooine" theme, hopefully TPM Anakin and Padme.
I think the difference now is age. Chris (Bantha Skull) is about 51, same age as me. We can't just keep collecting forever. I guess many of us are getting to that point in our lives when we realise we will have to stop. Running out of space is also clearly a big factor. The Cantina is my dream item, I'm going to slow my collecting after it arrives.

There’s been a couple of times where I thought I was done collecting. When TVC 1.0 came out, I pretty much decided to bow out of collecting. I’d get a few things on occasion, but not as much as prior years.

I got back into collecting when the ST came out, but I still wanted to collect SA 3.75 and Wal-Mart did a horrible job managing the line, so it wasn’t that much fun. I wasn’t all that into TVC 2.0 until The Mandalorian came out.

Not sure when I’ll bow out, but I figure I’ll for sure stop collecting if SA 3.75 goes away.

I think the difference now is age. Chris (Bantha Skull) is about 51, same age as me. We can't just keep collecting forever. I guess many of us are getting to that point in our lives when we realise we will have to stop. Running out of space is also clearly a big factor. The Cantina is my dream item, I'm going to slow my collecting after it arrives.
Same as of this year, and I have found myself becoming less and less interested in the offerings in both media and figure selections. In addition to the running out of space issue, pretty might the only reason I spent so much in 2020-23 is that I couldn't travel for a couple years in there and had the extra Money. Now that things have opened up more I want to get back out there. I have also contemplated becoming a minimalist so that I can enjoy that lifestyle a bit more by not having to worry about having a collection stored. I haven't been able to fully walk away since 2019 with the Barge reveal, they have slowly and steadily kept me engaged here and there and I don't want to miss out on that one thing such as a Revan or Malak.

I'm not sure I understand the premise of reaching a point where you stop collecting. I stop collecting every time I don't buy an available item. I start again every time I buy something I want.

It's like a musical artist that retires until the next time they perform or release a song.

Why make rules? Why have a clear end point? If something is made you don't want, can't afford, or don't have space for, don't buy the item. But if you like it, want it, can afford it, and have room for it, why say you are not going to buy it?

And are we really going to pretend that a person in their '50's is "too old" to buy an action figure they like?

Ben was "too old" to go to Alderaan. He went. Luke was "too old" to be trained as a Jedi. And thank God they did. Don't deny yourself the adventures that are still coming to you because of an arbitrary age benchmark.

But everyone can do whatever they want.

One thing that has kept my interest in collecting in recent years is all the new media that’s come out.

Quality issues of the shows/movies aside, I don’t think there’s been a time where I’ve consistently added new characters to my wishlist on what feels like a monthly basis, and that makes things fun (but also frustrating, haha).

Reactions: bac
Space is definitely a factor. And there’s definitely some figures that I’m totally fine leaving as is in my collections/displays. So, I can understand the “sunsetting” idea.

But there’s still a few figures I’d like to see get made. If I was more into the Bad Batch, I’d be royally ticked about their lack of figures in 3.75”.

It also doesn’t help when we look at the other scale, and they’re getting figures we’d like to see get made for 3.75”.

I was thinking earlier about mainline wants that I’d like to see next year and it made me think to the mainline offerings this year. Overall, not many of this year’s choices were extremely exciting to me, and that’s coming from someone who enjoys new media. I think there were just too many repacks/repaints to excite me too much.

However, this got me thinking…maybe this year seemed a little uninspired and repack-heavy to help balance out hopefully a fresh, exciting mainline next year. We know of at least four brand-new figures in Luke, Han, Ben, and Hammerhead, and Jayson’s previous rumor of a brand-new C-3PO definitely seems inevitable to go along with them. We know Chewie will use some good retooling, and hopefully the “Ahsoka” Anakin will also, if not being new to start with. Here’s hoping for many more exciting offerings, including more cantina patrons, (finally) Baylon and Shin, and The Stranger. Jayson’s previous comment about figure selections across multiple eras has me hopeful!

That sounds kind of backwards given your stance on the matter, considering that the former were all simple repaints with new heads while the latter actually featured a considerable amount of new tooling...
Yeah, but there were still fewer of them. Jodo was one figure in an awesome Legacy line. Shysa and Dala were 2 comic packs out of 50. Today it seems like the line is 50% Mandalorians.

^ IDK, I would think an annual budget is set and isn't affected by more or less spending the year prior. So, I don't believe a lean 2024 suggests a heartier or more robust 2025.

Yeah, but there were still fewer of them. Jodo was one figure in an awesome Legacy line. Shysa and Dala were 2 comic packs out of 50. Today it seems like the line is 50% Mandalorians.
But recent media is heavily tied to Mandalorians also. The ratio is a bit higher than I’d prefer for figures, but it’s not too far off when you consider the Mandalorian has three seasons, BOBF, and Ahsoka vs. Andor, Obi Wan, and the Acolyte at one season each. If you add in the animated series, they also have a good percentage of Mandalorian content. One could also say we were heavy on Jedi and clones after the prequels and during the early run seasons of the Clone Wars. There’s likely to be a correlation between the figures and current media, and it won’t be until pauses in media that we can start seeing the deeper cuts and varied characters.

I stand by a previous post about people aging out of collecting. assuming some of the people above are healthy, their money is being spent elsewhere and on everyday stuff. priorities are differrent as well. I fall into the category of just being able to wake up daily and see what new sw stuff is out there. no priorities, no family, but bad health. sw has and will always be some thing I will enjoy, hopefully, till I'm gone....

I stand by a previous post about people aging out of collecting. assuming some of the people above are healthy, their money is being spent elsewhere and on everyday stuff. priorities are differrent as well. I fall into the category of just being able to wake up daily and see what new sw stuff is out there. no priorities, no family, but bad health. sw has and will always be some thing I will enjoy, hopefully, till I'm gone....
People will age out, but new blood will come in. It’ll be a different experience for them though. My sons love the Lego sets and aren’t really into the figures. They also like the video games. My oldest son is a huge Clone Wars fan, mainly because that was what was new and being promoted when he was young. He doesn’t dislike the OT, but he doesn’t get as excited about it as I do. I’ve come to expect that my Star Wars will change, but it will live on longer than me.

there is so much media to day compared to myself, msater fett, etc. all we had were movies, 3 tv networks and really nothing else to watch for or from. sw to me is like taylor swift for young girls/ teenage girls, etc. I grew up on sw till hs, then got into the thrawn trilogy in college in 91 and it started all over again. the books kept me in and trying to imagine all that in the books. I just wish we could have gotten a lot of media from the 1990'S EU.

Chris did qualify his statement by saying he couldn't keep collecting at the current pace, i.e. buying everything. He also said he would probably never really stop, but he would slow down.

I think, for me, at least, I don't plan on stopping, but once I have the Cantina and the newly announced ANH figures, I'll relax a lot more with my collection. I'll continue to buy what I like and skip what I don't really think I'd ever display and go from there. I don't really think I would stop completely unless Hasbro stopped producing SW figures. However, once the new Luke, Han, and Obi-Wan come out, I really hope they get nailed because I do not want to hear calls for redoing them when there are other characters that should be up next.

I’ll keep picking up freaks, weirdos, goons, and aliens for the Barge and the Cantina. I’ll still grab sith or sith-adjacent characters for the MOC collection - Ventress, Malak, Baylan, Shin, the Stranger, Marrok, Sith Eternal Palpatine, and Supreme Leader Kylo Ren are my most wanted bad guys right now. I think I’m done with nearly everything else once the ANH mains come.

I am the same age as Bantha Skull Chris, and I can identify with tiring of the chase and the hope. The upcoming ANH figures represent, to me, more of a destination than a stop along the journey. I was still in college when POTF2 came out and that feels like a lifetime ago.

I don't find myself enjoying current Star Wars (Acolyte) or have anything I am really anticipating aside from season 2 of Andor. Perhaps this is a franchise in which I move from looking forward to, to looking backwards upon. My collecting wants follow a similar track in that I wouldn't have a place in my room for Acolyte figures if Hasbro paid me for the space. But the excellent OT offerings we've gotten the past two years (ROJ anniversary, Cantina and ANH upgrades) have kept the flame lit for me.

A number of people mentioned this over the last few years, and the ROTJ anniversary was also an exit point for some. The ANH mains, Kenner 96, even the cantina as a "grand finale" type purchase might be where some OT era collectors call it a day and stop buying into TVC any further (or start slowing down). I think some are also shifting to what they like the most and cutting back heavily, which is what I'm doing. The Acolyte is another example of media I can watch for entertainment purposes only, and not buy anything from it, especially when I have no interest in the characters. Being a completist is an utter waste of resources and it makes the hobby too time consuming - at least for me, so I was happy to abandon that compulsion years back. I find it much more enjoyable to curate a collection that resonates with my interests, not something that's built based on what Hasbro releases or pushes at us from new media.

I do like the ever-expanding world of Star Wars that is the new media - from a toy collecting perspective, my thoughts are less "is it good" than "does it enrich my collection".

And even despite this, I may too be sunsetting shortly. Prices are increasing as brick and mortar dies, and the sheer volume of new media has led to limited character selection (In TVC, anyhow - I'm still salty about the Black Series Andor line). Every new figure pushes an older one out, and I'm not inclined to pay $30CAN for a Princess Leia figure I've replaced twice before.

That's an interesting take, if a figure enriches your existing collection, I could see why it would be of interest, even if you don't necessarily like the media it's pulled from. For example, I think the Osha figure would work well as a random Rebel or Resistance member in a diorama, but I have no interest in the character or series when it comes to collecting them all.

As for TBS getting figures from some sources and TVC being ignored, I think that is going to backfire for some consumers, because it's clear that diehard 3.75 collectors that are loyal to the scale will never buy a TBS figure in many cases. With TBS getting coverage for Andor, Bad Batch, etc, I think it just makes it easier as a 3.75 collector to say I'm going to skip those series going forward, even if they do release a random figure. Some new media seems to have a short shelf life, I've noticed that if certain characters aren't released within a reasonable time, I lose interest and won't buy them later if released. I probably would have bought the BB crew a few years ago, now I don't want any of them.

I do still buy TVC figures. The ships were always too big for me to display so I sold them. I wish I'd have kept a few though in retrospect. Now out of my league to go further into it with even bigger and better ships if you have the $cratch.
However kept many Action Fleet ships and now Micro Galaxy is where I've spent most lately. I think it's great for veteran collectors and new ones. I used to collect the die cast Galoob Micromachines, then Hasbro Titanium's also. Hot Wheels took that spot and even more cool ships in the same size. All of a sudden Mattel decides to enlarge the scale and not really that better detailed. Nope time to quit SW die cast.

I buy everything TVC on a card. I do not buy the money grab "deluxe" figures until they go on sale for normal (or better) prices.

I do buy ships, playsets, etc when there is a carded figure included and I then sell off the ship or whatever.

I have been pulling back on the carded multi-packs lately as they always seem to go on sale/clearance so no need to jump on those and pay full price.

I also collect Retro and recently re-evaluated what my focus should be with Retro. I sold off all of the "skittle" colored "prototypes I had and decided to NOT buy any other non-OT release as PT, ST and new media figures in Retro styling don't appeal to me. Retro should be the OT stuff.

Last edited:
I wasn’t all that into TVC 2.0 until The Mandalorian came out.
Same. I collected the 3.75" line from ROTS until TVC 1.0(?) at which point I switched solely to Black Series as I couldn't stand (nor understand the rationale for) those wacky angle-pegged swivel-hinge hips that required the entire thigh to be rotated just to raise the leg. It was the improved articulation and recent influx of Mandalorian figures brought me back in.

I'm still a fan of Star Wars and all the new media projects coming out and I want figures for it. Black Series just doesn't do my collection justice. And I'm not about to sell off my collection just to start over with a bigger scale just so I can get the characters I actually want. It took 10 years to get the Ghost and the Rebels. If it takes 10 more to get the Marauader and the Bad Batch then so be it - but I'm not signing off. By then I'll have another team high on my want list - and so on. There's so many corners of Star Wars that I love and I don't see my collecting habits stopping until I run out of space entirely or 3.75 itself is canned.

It might slow down, but that's entirely dependent on Hasbro. If they start pumping out nothing but crap then I won't be buying it. For too long I've just grabbed all the slop they throw up and now I'm only getting what I want. I'm a bit more optimistic now since I just got Zeb in hand, and the Ghost is just a couple months away. But I won't forget how it felt last month after nearly half a year without a new release (and a pipeline full of repacks).

As others have said, they've been collecting for years now. I'm 24, so I pretty much just started collecting. I'm hopeful that SA 3.75 figures will continue for decades to come, because even I was growing up on them. Even with a bigger scale in direct competition, it's clear that 3.75 still has an audience in my generation. I guess only time will tell. I would love to keep collecting for another 25-30 years before I feel ready to tap out. I can't imagine what a dream release would be for me to quit altogether anymore, but 3 more decades of Star Wars is bound to come up with something I need.

Last edited:
I think @darth_sidious makes a great point above. If you can free yourself from the mindset of *having* to get everything Hasbro puts out, and getting more selective, it can be a liberating feeling.

Did that with TVC a couple years ago. Stopped caring about having every VC number. It was very liberating.

I will never call it a day on toy collecting. Will keep it up as long as I'm around and able.

Seeing what I currently have and have scheduled to come in, I’m at a point where I can’t fit another vehicle or playset. There’s still a few figures I wouldn’t mind getting. . . if they knock my socks off.

But there’s just one left that’s an absolute personal holy grail, three (or six) that would nicely finish off a set or two, and a handful of figures that would complement the Ghost.

Of course, never say never in this collecting game. If Hasbro makes what I want, I’ll buy it. If not, I can always walk away from the table with what I got already (along with the customs I’ve made over the years).

Back