colgate rotj promotions

Reaction score
I have just received the new star wars book by steve stansweet (The "Star Wars" Vault: Thirty Years of Treasures from the Lucasfilm Archives) and its amazing, i was especially interested in the ROTJ colgate toothpaste promotion that came with a free figure, do any collectors out there have any examples to show, its says in the book that seventy figures were available like this.

would like to know how different figures examples survived

Reaction score
these are the rarest of the rare! even in spain! known are bib fortuna, 8d8 and biker scout. no others turned up. i'd be set to pay far over 1k for a nice example.

these have been discussed in the vintage section several times.

-andy

Reaction score
Pics of this rare item can be found here .

It seeems these toothpaste boxes were not sealed, so any loose figure could be placed inside.

Would be great if anyone can provide more photo material about these items.

Reaction score
Cool pictures Lafos, really enjoy looking at your page!

Biker scout and 8D8 have been mentioned on this page as possible known figures? The back of the pack picture that Lafos has provided us with shows a set of figures that does not include 8D8 or the Biker Scout figures.

Is this a complete list? Or perhaps one set of ROTJ figures only?

Really interesting item, I can only imagine there must be some undiscovered supply out in Spain somewhere in an old warehouse!

Reaction score
As mentioned in the previous thread, nobody knows where the pic of the Biker Scout came from. The Bib from Steve's collection is the one pictured anyplace where one of these is shown aside from the Scout in the Tomart's book. This is the first I've heard of an 8D8 but without seeing a pic it's only a rumor IMO.

Sadly, there is no list but with only pics of 2 known it's not really possible at this point.

John

Reaction score
Thats a shame nothing else has turned up for the 8D8 lol

The words on the back are something like:
Collect Your Empire
A Different figure in every pack!

And on the right, Colgate helps you collect them all?

Also and interestingly, it mentions that you get a free figure per pack and there is SEVENTY to collect?
Possible reference to the whole line or maybe even to the promotion with colgate? It's probably more likey to have been only a select few right?
Cool stuff really like this!

Reaction score
As mentioned before, the boxes weren´t sealed, so if a Colgate box will pop up in the future for sale, I´ll bet a Boba Fett is inside.

Reaction score
JohnA said:
This is the first I've heard of an 8D8 but without seeing a pic it's only a rumor IMO.
John
here is a small pic from an old publication, so it is not only a rumor. this one has been known for years. i will not mention name or # of this issue due to copyright reasons.

Image removed

Lafos said:
As mentioned before, the boxes weren´t sealed, so if a Colgate box will pop up in the future for sale, I´ll bet a Boba Fett is inside.
all pictures that i have seen so far of a colgate boxed figure clearly show that these were sealed.

-andy

edited to remove the pic

Reaction score
Hey Andy, Great Pics thanks for those! Any idea on the number of figures released in this promo? Or was it just random from the whole line, or just rotj featured figures?

Great pic

Reaction score
toxictoyzz said:
here is a small pic from an old publication, so it is not only a rumor. this one has been known for years.
Actually, it hasn't been known for years. This is the first I've heard of it and I've been asking about these since 2000. Every old school collector that replied mentioned the Scout and Steve's Bib and that's it. Noboidy ever mentioned this one so it's not as known as you think. Thanks for sharing a pic though.

toxictoyzz said:
i will not mention name or # of this issue due to copyright reasons.
It's not the name or # that is the CR issue it's posting the actual pics. If you had mentioned the name and # you'd be safe but by posting the pic you actually put yourself and RS in danger of lawsuit.

Tomart's is known for Photoshopping Blue Harvest 4UPs green, or touching up images, or once they recolored the face on an image of a HC that had been quite worn. They even created a POTF mock-up Fett. I'd bet money that's the same box with 2 different figures in it.

John

Reaction score
JohnA said:
Tomart's is known for Photoshopping Blue Harvest 4UPs green, or touching up images, or once they recolored the face on an image of a HC that had been quite worn. They even created a POTF mock-up Fett. I'd bet money that's the same box with 2 different figures in it.

John
hey john,

i didn't know that tomarts is doing that! crazy! like i said, this publication is already a little bit older and as you can clearly see in the picture, an 8D8 with the cardboard inbetween his legs is in the box.

isn't that an 8D8 which is only found in European baggies and on Spanish Tri Logo Cards?

Using photoshop for alterations that you mentioned seems quite possible and/or reasonable to me, but do you think Tomorts would have had the knowledge back then about the Spanish line that they would have used this very 8D8 instead of a regular 8D8 without the cardboard? i would think that they'd have put the least bit of effot into something like that then.

however, maybe this is the pic that the biker scout originates from. i'd still love to know though who owns that one.

just wondering if they maybe had that knowledge already back then. did they ever do an article on other spanish carded figures such as poch and or pbp? i'd love to see that if they did.

so anyone who knows of other tomoarts issues with spanish content, please let me know!

-andy

Reaction score
Has it ever been determined whether the Colgate 8-D8 which appeared in Tomart's was legit? Was flipping through some old back issues and was surprised to see it. Steven Sansweet wrote the article the picture appeared in; would he know?

Eric

Reaction score
i talked to a graphic design master about that piece and he also saw the pictures and said that there is no sign of an alteration or manipulation. so my bet would still be that it is legit and not faked by tomarts

-andy

Reaction score
toxictoyzz said:
i talked to a graphic design master about that piece and he also saw the pictures and said that there is no sign of an alteration or manipulation. so my bet would still be that it is legit and not faked by tomarts

-andy
I think you missed my point. I didn't mean they Photoshopped the box. The Blue Harvests were Phosotshopped green but the fake POTF Fett was actually created. I just meant they probably put another figure in the box for the pic. The boxes aren't sealed so you could take a ton of pics like that.

John

Reaction score
JohnA said:
toxictoyzz said:

-andy
I think you missed my point. I didn't mean they Photoshopped the box. The Blue Harvests were Phosotshopped green but the fake POTF Fett was actually created. I just meant they probably put another figure in the box for the pic. The boxes aren't sealed so you could take a ton of pics like that.

John
these are not sealed? i think at least sansweets bib shows tape seal on both sides?! if i am not entirely wrong.

-andy

Reaction score
I suppose even with a tape sealed box it's not a huge problem to overcome lol, especially if the tape on the example has dried or come loose.

Reaction score
hi there,
colgate promo was very popular here, in Spain, in the mid 80´s.many figures were sold during this promo, specially ROTJ figs. and many POTF (luke stormtrooper, yak face,barada...) it´s impossible to say how many exist because has not been survived,just the knowledge of spanish collectors during vintage years ,that´s all ...today are in the top of rarity,of course (i dream with one of them to my spanish focus !!)

Reaction score
sorry if this is slightly off thread but what figures came in the UHU glue packs? and are these as rare too?

Reaction score
gustie said:
sorry if this is slightly off thread but what figures came in the UHU glue packs? and are these as rare too?
Ewoks came with the Italian UHU gluesticks (from the regular line, not the cartoon figures). These are much more common than the colgate figures. Here's a few UHU figures from the archive:
Paploo
Warok

BTW, if anyone has one of these for sale/trade, I'm interested.

Reaction score
gustie said:
i sold these 2 last week here in the vintage section
check out the back with the snowtroopers in the wood (-:
of course they are not so rare like a colgate pack but compared to a colgate pack even a dt vader isnt rare.
although they are affordable when/if popping up, its a real challenge to complete a set or to find a specifique ewok.

Reaction score
gustie said:
how much do these go for??
In very good/near mint MOC condition, they are in the 200 EUR - 300 EUR range... All the Ewoks were released this way, I've got 4 UHU's so far...