Clone Wars Soundtrack

Reaction score
Personally I just wanted to hear the new main title. I haven't really listened to the rest of the tracks, but I did check out #5. I'll listen to it a lot more often after I see the film tomorrow night!

Reaction score
Mike's The Clone Wars Soundtrack Review

This review is written from the standpoint of a Star Wars fan who has only experienced the trailers and news from the Force-Cast. I haven't read the articles or seen the movie.

First thing I want to address is the complaints I've seen on the internet about how this score isn't a John Williams work. What else do you expect from a soundtrack from a cartoon about war? I beleive the short cues come from the rapid cuts that any cartoon will have, and the heavy percussive stylings that are so reminiscent of Hans Zimmer and James Horner are, as Pete mentioned, the sounds of war. This score invokes an instant sense of the feel of a battlefield. This is not space opera anymore, it is a battle to the death.

The soundtrack starts out with the familiar Star Wars theme redone into a heavy percussive mix that reminds me of the opening to Revenge of the Sith.

Admiral Yularen's theme follows with the feel of the fanfare from Return of the Jedi when we approach the Rebel fleet before the Ackbar/Mon Mothma briefing about the Battle of Endor. It's also fairly elegant.

Switching gears, The Battle of Christophsis brings images of a massive fight with some epic moments of heroism. A nice touch is the chanting voices in the background, something that has been used by numerous composers for epic war sequences. Since this is obvisouly going to be a production focused on the Jedi and the Republic, one might assume that the bombastic brass belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic and the chants to the Separatist forces.

We meet Ahsoka to a very innocent sounding theme mixed into more percussive work. This makes me think that Ahsoka will be doing some growing up over the course of this series, provided she lives beyond the movie.

Batman Beyond is evoked for Obi-Wan to the Rescue, which I have to believe will be use to jar the audience a bit when things seem dire for the rescuee. Given that cartoons usually act on fast cuts, I beleive this to be the case. I"m not too keen on the heavy use of guitars for Kenobi, but I also wasn't too happy about it in Attack of the Clones. Luckily, it grew on me.

Sneaking Under the Shield is relatively tame and stealthy music, though like the rest of the soundtrack, with a definte military feel behind it.

Jabba's Palace is a fun track but disappointing compared to the music of Jedi. It adds a new feel to the palace, which I can appreciate, and I hope that the movie brings it together nicely.

Anakin vs. Dooku seems like a fairly dire track in spirit, and I have to wonder how this battle will turn out based on the score alone. Again with the chants, leading to believe that it's a more Sep/Sith theme.

Landing on Teth is grandiose and probably belongs to a fairly quiet pre-war sequence. Destroying the Shield is another straightfoward track.

B'omarr Monastery is a great track that has me looking forward to an awesome scene. I've wondered about these monks for a long time.

General Loathsom/Battle Strategy is fairly militaristic and bland. The Shield is a generic track to inspire shock and awe.

The Battle of Teth is again a great sounding battle sequence with a resurgence of those guitars and some lighter tones mixed in. Ahsoka, perhaps?

Jedi Don't Run! is a chaotic battle track. Obi-Wan's Negotiation is a fairly benign track probably designed to fall in behind some dialogue. The Jedi Council is also another of these atmospheric tracks.

General Loathsom/Ahsoka seems like a victorious track with some Force theme built into it. If this is a longer statement of Ahsoka's theme, I like it.

Jabba's Chamber Dance is fun, almost in the vein of the Cantina themes. Ziro Surrounded is an ominous track with hints of the Battle of Naboo hangar sequence in it and some definite suspense to it.

Scaling the Cliff, given what we've seen in the trailers, is incredible. Simply awesome.

Ziro's Nightclub Band is great when thinking about Jason and "Coruscant Nights." Pure noir, baby. Followed by the Seedy City Swing, it's pure gold.

Escape From the Monastery is suspensful but rather benign. Infiltrating Ziro's Lair also seems like typical sneaky music with a little battle infused.

Courtyard Fight brings back Kenobi's guitar and Jabba-type music, leaving me to believe that this takes place at the Palace. Dunes of Tatooine expands on that Middle Eastern cue we heard in Attack of the Clones when Anakin and Padme returned to the dunes, but is farily lackluster.

Rough Landing seems action and suspense, but it's probably simliar to the landing in Sith. Padme Imprisoned is short and fairly uninspired. Dooku Speaks With Jabba is another dialogue-style track.

Fight to the End has a good feel of suspense and action, almost like we can expect the typical Star Wars lightsaber duel to finish this one out. Nice use of the Force Theme here.

Finally, End Credits is a rehash of the opening mix, and welcome to my ears.

This may not be Williams, but it's certainly not the first time we've seen other influences in the music of Star Wars. From Joel McNeely (Shadows of the Empire) and Jesse Harlin (Republic Commando) to Jeremy Soule (Knights of the Old Republic, Bounty Hunter) and Mark Griskey (Knights of the Old Republic II), we've seen a great deal of music. I personally prefer to keep the elegance of John Williams in the movies as the backbone. Let these other fine artists fill in the gaps.

Final score: 4 out of 5

Reaction score
I picked it up last night at FYE. The first day and it already has a sale sticker for 14$!

It's good. I like how they remixed the main theme and went further with the Abrabian vocals from Ep. III, very epic. It plays more like a video game soundtrack; the songs are more ambient than story telling and it's strange hearing a fully synth orchestra tagged on a Star Wars movie, imo.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I saw the movie last night and I liked what little music I could hear at times.

It seemed to be drowned out by other sound effects from the film, most of the time.

Reaction score
Cramer said:
I picked it up last night at FYE. The first day and it already has a sale sticker for 14$!

It's good. I like how they remixed the main theme and went further with the Abrabian vocals from Ep. III, very epic. It plays more like a video game soundtrack; the songs are more ambient than story telling and it's strange hearing a fully synth orchestra tagged on a Star Wars movie, imo.
There is a real orchestra playing, but it certainly is backed by synths.

I'd like to argue that this Zimmerish sound is "the sound of war".
You can have Romantisism in a war film and it can work very well. Jerry Goldsmith's score for Patton, for example, was an innovation, being one of the first noted uses of electronics in a film score. Yet with these new influences he was still able to weave a score strongly founded in a Romantic sense. The Nazis had a theme, Patton had several themes - it worked.
James Horner's Glory kept a Romantic/Classical feel throughout, giving us a score of beauty and heroism rather than terror and chaos.

Kiner's score doesn't fit within the musical continuity established by the film and major video games. I understand that CW is "different" but that doesn't mean that it couldn't feature a score similar to others written for the movies/games. I'd love to know what Giacchino, McKneely, or Griskey would have done for this film. In the end though I really blame this on Filoni, Kiner just gave us what the director wanted. I'm not going to say that Kiner's score doesn't work for the film until I've seen it and have had the ability to judge it in the film, but compared to other scores written for Star Wars releated projects this is definately a lower tier effort. Give me Shadows or KOTOR over this any day. And I personally cannot wait to hear what Griskey has done for FU, the samples/reviews/interviews all point to a high quality score in the style of the films, something that will really fit into the continuity of the series.