Clone Wars Soundtrack

Reaction score
Hey I was just checking out some stuff on amazon and found some clips for the Clone Wars Soundtrack.

Main Title - A little different with marching drum beats added
Battle of Christophsis - spin off of cloud city
Meet Ahsoka - Reminded me of the Emperor's Theme
Obi-Wan to the Rescue - HOLY CRAP!!! AWESOME!!!! (Very much like Batman Beyond!)
Jabba's Palace - Listen to music from the NEW Battlestar and thats it.

The Nightclub Band and Seedy City Swing... Right up Jason's alley!

I am leaving out a lot as I think some might be spoilers, but there is no funeral theme. From what I can hear it is FANTASTIC!!!

Clone Wars Soundtrack!

Reaction score
It sounds pretty good too me. I've preordered it at Borders. I sort of like the new take on the Star Wars theme, it's pretty neat and original.

Reaction score
Ooooohhhhhhh ... Track 11 !!!!!!!!!!!
That's one of the SW side-stories I've always wanted to visit!

I'm (nearly fanatically) loving JW's work on SW, but I have to admit this soundtrack sounds promising.
Now that the soundtrack is out, it really feels like a Saga chapter, since music is IMO the most important actor in the SW experience ...

Reaction score
Since I work in a music store now, I figured I would share what came into today at work. Note: It's not on sale until Tuesday.

Sorry for the crummy cell phone pictures.

Back Cover:

I checked the track listing, nothing major spoiler-ific on there.

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures! Looks nice! Can't wait to pick it up

Reaction score
Jedi_Justin said:
I vote Paul as the Official FC Forum Music Maestro!
(Darklorded!
)

As President, I will have to consult with my Secretary of Forums on this matter.

But, pending further review, I think it's safe to say that getting an advance copy of the TCW soundtrack makes Paul eligible to be our Forum Music Maestro.

You will make a great Maestro, Paul. I have foreseen it.

Reaction score
Jedi_Justin said:
MasterRawas said:
Jedi_Justin said:
I vote Paul as the Official FC Forum Music Maestro!
(Darklorded!
)

As President, I will have to consult with my Secretary of Forums on this matter.
Murray, Paul, doesn't matter I'll answer to it all.

I'm honored by the appointment, but I must admit that I did not yet get the soundtrack. I just got pictures of it in our backroom at work. Although, I do want to try and pick it up early.

Reaction score
"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...illegal."
Remote spies intercepted a the soundtrack for me but I haven't been able to listen to it all yet.
Definately a Williams influence but he's also taking it in a new direction which I like. Since it's not a "regular" movie I actually prefer it feel like SW than try to be SW.
The new opening title, which the guys played on the 8/1 show, is great. I love the way he wove the Williams queues we all know into a new piece.
Track 5 has a very interesting start as a rock-infused classical piece almost sounding like something out of a video game with a great soundtrack

Reaction score
The score is pretty good; I liked the tweaked main title, and there's a lot of Middle Eastern influence on a few of the tracks. I'll be getting it for sure!

Reaction score
Jedi_Justin said:
I vote Murray as the Official FC Forum Music Maestro!
Okey, I think after tonight I might be worthy of such title. I did manage to pick up the soundtrack tonight. I had to close and I rang it up right as we closed... and then something odd happened. See for yourself.

Reaction score
I'm listening to the score right now. It's good, it feels SW, but not SW, in a good way. It's almost like the opening themes of ROTS were used as a map as to where to take the sound in this new series.

Very "War!" sounding. Lots of different instruments used, not quite as "All horns, all the time" that Williams tend to do in his action pieces.

Think the score to BSG or Heroes with SW and a dash of Rock and Metal thrown in.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's one heck of a sale price. Would you mind picking me up a copy. I'll send you the uh...money straight away.

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is wondering, this was all done by the books. There was no meddling with the price or anything. I didn't adjust anything. The system did it all.

I didn't let my inner Sith take over.

Reaction score
LOL - now that's what I call a real bargain!

I've heard people have a similar experience with other SW merchadise that was put out on the shelves before the official release date. New figure waves ringing up for a penny each at the registers, and employees not allowing the sale to get completed.

Reaction score
Having finished the whole thing now I'm going back to my video game description. Where the tracks are rarely over 3 minutes it seems more like a video game soundtrack than a proper movie soundtrack.
It focuses more on the here and now than the broad themes Williams tends to use. And I think that works great in this context as this film is likely going to be the only one of its kind. Of course those with a keen ear will pick up certain familiar things

I'm really liking some of the rock type tracks as well as the Middle Eastern inspired stuff. It's definatley not the SW I grew up with but it can easily find a home in there. I'm thinking the Middle Eastern stuff is similar to the Cantina band or Lapti Nek tracks. Those also didn't fit with the rest of their soundtracks but helped to add some local flavor to their scenes.

Reaction score
Hopefully there is a Cantina Band-esque track in the TV series at some point, if not in the movie. We know Filoni is a huge fan, and what huge fan didn't dance to the beat of "Cantina Band" and "Cantina Band 2"?

Jovial_Jay

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There's a Cantina Band-esque theme on the soundtrack. I'm really digging track 5:Obi-Wan to the Rescue!

Reaction score
Dex1138 said:
Having finished the whole thing now I'm going back to my video game description. Where the tracks are rarely over 3 minutes it seems more like a video game soundtrack than a proper movie soundtrack.
I agree. It does seem a lot like a video game soundtrack, in the themes and instrumentation.

Reaction score
MasterRawas said:
Hopefully there is a Cantina Band-esque track in the TV series at some point, if not in the movie. We know Filoni is a huge fan, and what huge fan didn't dance to the beat of "Cantina Band" and "Cantina Band 2"?
Or the "moog" rendition of the same. Wow! Can you say, "Galaxy of Music: Disco Dancing"?

Reaction score
Other than the extra nice price above, has anyone picked it up today and if so what are the prices? Did any of the retailers offer anything special like a t-shirt, CD ROM or extra tracks if you purchased through them? Just trying to plan out where I should go get it tonite.

Jovial_Jay

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Todd_of_the_Sith said:
Other than the extra nice price above, has anyone picked it up today and if so what are the prices? Did any of the retailers offer anything special like a t-shirt, CD ROM or extra tracks if you purchased through them? Just trying to plan out where I should go get it tonite.
Target - $11.98 nothing free, except the poster on the pull out (down from $13.99 regular price). That's the Nice Price

Reaction score
Quoting myself from another thread...

Joe_B said:
The score is available today, $11.88 at Walmart.

Now...some of you may honestly enjoy this score, but I do NOT. This isn't Star Wars, instead it is some disgusting product of the "modern style" of film scoring. I knew that the style was going to to be completely different going into this, but I wasn't expecting such a shock. Gone is the romantic, leitmotivic style of Williams' scores - we now have Star Wars ala Hans Zimmer.

That isn't to say that Kevin Kiner didn't have some truly good moments, there are some parts that I absolutely love - but they really are few and far between. Instead what I find to be most prominent is the ba$tardization of Williams' main title march, electric guitar driven cues, and the now obligitory Middle-Eastern style wailing voice effect.

I respect that Kiner was trying to bring a new style to the table, and I really wonder how much of this style is really Filoni and the producers' faults, but I still find this score to be inexcusable. I may let this style slide for the TV series...but this is a motion picture event, and many people may look at this film as cannon. Becuase of that I believe that they should have moved the style in a new direction, yes, but kept the roots of what makes a Star Wars score.

I hope you guys enjoy it, I won't have a problem if you do, but I personally am disgusted by this effort. I'll wait for the score for The Force Unleashed, from what I've heard from it that is going to be a REAL Star Wars score.

Reaction score
Todd_of_the_Sith said:
I pre-ordered from Amazon at $12.99. On my doorstep when I get home from work, so no need to travel forever to pick it up.

Reaction score
It's on iTunes,I got it from iTunes today. In fact, it's the first album under the "What's Hot" section on the main page. Borders didn't have mine in, so I just got it via iTunes. Unfortunately, it's not in iTunes Plus format.

Reaction score
Joe_B said:
we now have Star Wars ala Hans Zimmer.
Ouch ... Zimmer has his good moments, but he rehashes them in so many too similar variations that the end result is a little nauseating at times.

I'm even more impatient (and a little apprehensive) to listen to this now...

Thanks for your comments

Reaction score
Same here, and I'm also waiting on the book. I don't think it follows the movie storyline too specifically, but there will be lots of background I need from the movie first. And as for the soundtrack...I like to experience dramatic movie moments and then go back and relive the moments through music.

Reaction score
Jedi_Justin said:
I'm holding off on listening to the soundtrack until after I see the movie on Friday morning.
MasterRawas said:
Same here,
And as for the soundtrack...I like to experience dramatic movie moments and then go back and relive the moments through music.
Funny, I did the exact opposite thing for the prequel movies: listen to the OST without reading the cue titles!!! until I had them in my head.
Not knowing what's behind familiar music and see everything fall into place on the big screen was an electrifying experience!

Reaction score
Satka said:
Jedi_Justin said:
I'm holding off on listening to the soundtrack until after I see the movie on Friday morning.
MasterRawas said:
Same here,
And as for the soundtrack...I like to experience dramatic movie moments and then go back and relive the moments through music.
Funny, I did the exact opposite thing for the prequel movies: listen to the OST without reading the cue titles!!! until I had them in my head.
Not knowing what's behind familiar music and see everything fall into place on the big screen was an electrifying experience!
Everyone has their own listening style, that's what makes Star Wars fans so unique. But we're all alike in that we'll at least listen to the soundtrack at some point.