Clone Wars Mastiff phalone

Reaction score
I have wanted to do this creature for a while. Long term I a trying to make all of the creatures featured in the clone wars. I am finishing up some remodeling projects in my house so I have had a little more free time and got a good start.
F12C8B2D-EF4B-405E-A43A-808F9FFDC993.jpeg
E1114448-8377-4172-B54E-CEADE47243B8.jpeg
CFA0C42A-2A7D-416F-8E14-DF2003F89044.jpeg

Reaction score
Very cool! Are you going to use the body to do a Narglatch and a Anooba, too? It looks like those three started off from the same CGI source. Some have four toes (including the Mastiff), some have three, as you sculpted it.

Reaction score
Another masterpiece from the master sculpter. Truly amazing work, sir.

Reaction score
There’s no mistaking what that is! It has great appeal. I’ll take one!

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys. The positive feedback keeps me from throwing in the towel on this one.

Tyranusspotting- You are exactly right about the CG source for the Narglatch. It appears to be the same structure and size as much as I can tell. The Anooba those is quite a bit different. I think the next creature that I will attempt would be the Narglatch. The only thing I haven’t figured out yet is the spikey mane. That looks like it could be a huge pain. I am really intrigued about doing a gundark next though.

I started working on the head and texturing more on the hair. I thought at first I would make a couple of these but sculpting the hair is sucked all my enthusiasm for the project. I hate sculpting hair.
20478694-7E4C-4101-8AF5-6251BB210D77.jpeg
7BAC9C7F-1230-4A0C-8BAC-D07D76997DE8.jpeg

Reaction score
I like the new open-mouthed expression, gives it a more dynamic feel. I was just thinking about your sculpting today, too, a new update is right on time. I was wondering if you'd ever consider doing the creatures from the Dejarik holochess game.

Reaction score
That’s just phenomenal. You have industry-level talent! 😍

Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome feedback!! Gives me the e energy to push on through the hair ugh. Yodasizzle, I have thought about doing all the Dejarik table creatures. I have had trouble finding any reference material, without that it is pretty difficult. With most of the Star Wars stuff creatures in particular it is hard to find reference material. With some creatures like the Mastiff Phalone and Orray have always the same skeletal structure as real world animals so you fill in the blanks as best you can. The Deharik creatures are so alien they are amazing but I can find enough to go on to do them justice. If anyone can point me in the direction of some good reference I will definitely do them.

Reaction score
The OT bonus disc that comes with the Blu-Ray boxed set has pics of them, there's the Sideshow sculpts here...

https://toysrevil.blogspot.com/2007/02/sideshowtoys-16-dejarik-holochess-set.html

and another place for some reference material...

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dejarik

honestly there isn't anything beyond your ability to sculpt. The original sculptures look kinda crappy in comparison to your work. Not that I could even do a crappy sculpt and not knocking Phil Tippett but there's a sort of crudeness about them, I love 'em and they're really cool, but they just don't look as good as your works.

Reaction score
This is a smaller update but my sculpt started to crack as they always will given gravity and the armature set up. The clay get a little more brittle over time and as you manipulate it happens. So I had to get what I could done and fire it. I tried 3 or 4 different ways to sculpt the hair. I feel like I am getting a better feel for what looks right and what doesn’t. I think made 20 to 30 hrs sculpting hair. I will have to add the tail of course still thinking about the best way to do that.
045AA522-0A20-451E-A53F-6A440C7E2C32.jpeg
EE326FA4-EB79-4528-ACF0-4CD51EDF8241.jpeg
927E9A55-DB3F-4CFC-BF13-2B72533C2341.jpeg

Reaction score
I don't see how you can possibly beat yourself over that hair. Hasbro would NEVER do hair as well as this!! It's a major highlight here, and is astonishingly real! The transition to feathers is especially fantastic.

Reaction score
Batuurist thank you so much for your feedback. I have been working on the hair for so long I couldn’t tell if it looked right or wrong anymore. At that point I need someone else to tell me if it looks or reads right.
Oofa and Tulgah again thank you for your feedback and you’re right. Something about this sculpture just doesn’t feel star warsey. I couldn’t put my finger on it until the Jim Henson comment. It does look very much more like a Jim Henson creation than anything else. When people come over and see it on the counter they usually don’t connect it to Star Wars.
I think what it reminds of a lot is the Skeksis from the Dark crystal with the head and the and the feathers anyway. The rest of the body is pretty standard for a four legged creature. Again thank you so much for your feedback it is so valuable!

Reaction score
Batuurist thank you so much for your feedback. I have been working on the hair for so long I couldn’t tell if it looked right or wrong anymore. At that point I need someone else to tell me if it looks or reads right.
Oofa and Tulgah again thank you for your feedback and you’re right. Something about this sculpture just doesn’t feel star warsey. I couldn’t put my finger on it until the Jim Henson comment. It does look very much more like a Jim Henson creation than anything else. When people come over and see it on the counter they usually don’t connect it to Star Wars.
I think what it reminds of a lot is the Skeksis from the Dark crystal with the head and the and the feathers anyway. The rest of the body is pretty standard for a four legged creature. Again thank you so much for your feedback it is so valuable!
I wish I had your talent for this. It's so incredibly well done.
I think it's mostly the head that gives of that Jim Henson creature vibe.
Is this your normal job or "just" a hobby?

Reaction score
This is my hobby. I have sculpted just about everything over the years though. I have done Disney princesses and other Disney characters, Lots of Super Mario Brothers stuff, full sized 1:1 realistic busts or heads of people, and of course what I do for myself Star Wars creatures and dioramas. I originally started diorama building. When making a diorama I might need something that I couldn’t buy like an alien vegetation or whatever so I started sculpting. I found that when trying to complete dioramas most of the time to complete the scene I would be missing a creature. I started sculpting with simpler creatures that didn’t require armatures and worked my way up. What I love the most are the creatures from Star Wars. When I watched the movies as a child that is what I enjoyed. I would save my allowance to buy the aliens. I didn’t care as much for Han, Luke, and Leia. I have found that Hasbro has no interest anymore in making the creatures so that is what I make to go with my 3.75 collection. What is Star Wars without the creatures? I won’t go into a tyrant about Hasbro.

Reaction score
This is my hobby. I have sculpted just about everything over the years though. I have done Disney princesses and other Disney characters, Lots of Super Mario Brothers stuff, full sized 1:1 realistic busts or heads of people, and of course what I do for myself Star Wars creatures and dioramas. I originally started diorama building. When making a diorama I might need something that I couldn’t buy like an alien vegetation or whatever so I started sculpting. I found that when trying to complete dioramas most of the time to complete the scene I would be missing a creature. I started sculpting with simpler creatures that didn’t require armatures and worked my way up. What I love the most are the creatures from Star Wars. When I watched the movies as a child that is what I enjoyed. I would save my allowance to buy the aliens. I didn’t care as much for Han, Luke, and Leia. I have found that Hasbro has no interest anymore in making the creatures so that is what I make to go with my 3.75 collection. What is Star Wars without the creatures? I won’t go into a tyrant about Hasbro.
Your Hutt council is awesome as well. Not sure if I've seen anything else from you.
And passionate hobbies like this tend to evolve into what the rest of us admire :)
Do you have a gallery?

Reaction score
Thanks Oofa, right now I don’t have a gallery and the picture hosting site that I was using I have had issues with. I think what I am going to do is just start a thread with all my stuff. I just need to track down some pictures. I think that would be fun.
Thanks for posting the link Yodasgizzle. You asked about Elom and I am not sure what happened with that. It was a character sketch that I do sometimes. A practice sculpt in other words. I would rarely keep them. I will usually sketch up 2 3 or 4 different things at once and one of them I will start to really enjoy and complete. It is kind of like Hasbro parking lot. The last little sketch session I did was the Gundark, Orray, and Phalone that Orray really grabbed me so I did a couple of those then I came back to do the Phalone. I may finish the Gundark next or sketch up other things depending on what grabs me or I could make another Phalone. I made it for a clone wars diorama but it has turned into a more realistic versus animated sculpt. I may do another one and try to do something that would fit more in the animated line. Let me know what you guys would like to see. I am looking at the dejarek creatures too.

Utinniii

Reaction score
This (and your other creations) are simply amazing! They are really inspiring. I too, love all the aliens and creatures from SW [and elsewhere] and hope to make lots of them [including concept art]. I wish I had half the skill you do.

Your work looks more like art than toys. They don't even need to be painted, but they look all the better when they are!

Reaction score
You are a savant. You should just open your own HasLab-style art studio. You can use your inadvertent typo from the other thread as your brand and call your business “The Custome Shop.” These first three pieces I’ve seen I know are worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars. It would be an honor to own one.

Reaction score
You are a savant. You should just open your own HasLab-style art studio. You can use your inadvertent typo from the other thread as your brand and call your business “The Custome Shop.” These first three pieces I’ve seen I know are worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars. It would be an honor to own one.
Agree completely. Another inadvertent typo is one that frankly I love. I am now....Yodas-gizzle. If I could? I'd actually change my username to that new handle. :)

Reaction score
Utinniii Tulgah yodashizzle

Thanks so much again. It is so nice to have the support and it keeps me going when I get tired of sculpting hair. I don’t call it art not to say it is or isn’t I just love doing it. It feels good to get back into some custome monster making. It’s trademarked now so don’t try to steal it.

I am getting close to the end on this one. I thought it wasn’t looking right. It was looking kind of scrawny and rat like and not as menacing as the pictures. I bulked up the feathers and I think that did the trick. I added the tail and now I just need to fix the cracks and add little details here and there and it will be done. I can’t wait to mix up the colors and start painting. Nothing is more fun than seeing it come to life. A good paint job will cover a multitude of sins.
0A911D2C-999A-4417-9556-76F760650EAD.jpeg
5EC3DBFE-2DAF-498D-A55B-6C5804DE9CE2.jpeg
D7E428CA-CBDB-4465-BE57-A2825E54FBF6.jpeg

Utinniii

Reaction score
And you, in turn inspire us.

I was playing with hair texturing after seeing this. Seeing that something can be done, and done so lifelike makes us want to see if we can do something. I can't wait to see it painted.

Reaction score
I finished up the paint app and I am calling it done. I tried to give it more of the animated paint app. I think it fits okay along side the clone wars figures. I don’t usually use washes a whole lot but I decided to go ahead on this one. I spent so much time sculpting the hair I wanted to be able to see the hair detail. Now on to the next one.
E7072FE4-7445-4460-8E99-6ABB73EB5C51.jpeg
4EB3B959-C657-46A6-9625-F6BED7F66DF8.jpeg
539793A4-3B1D-45DB-9C92-65E855400F26.jpeg
E4E7867E-F47B-4C49-B4D0-A03773A35E18.jpeg
1544141A-F47B-48EA-890C-5A7DF5A4D1F5.jpeg
3E82D815-53CE-40CD-B4FD-021FCD073F35.jpeg

Reaction score
I finished up the paint app and I am calling it done. I tried to give it more of the animated paint app. I think it fits okay along side the clone wars figures. I don’t usually use washes a whole lot but I decided to go ahead on this one. I spent so much time sculpting the hair I wanted to be able to see the hair detail. Now on to the next one.
View attachment 378450
View attachment 378451
View attachment 378452
View attachment 378453
View attachment 378454
View attachment 378455
That's an awesome piece. What is behind it?

Reaction score
1613970260446.gifIt takes over my overall #1 piece I’ve ever seen made from scratch, which basically could be another way of saying it’s the overall best.

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I am glad you like it. It was a fun sculpt. It took a lot longer than I had planned but the extra time I spent was worth it.
View attachment 378458It takes over my overall #1 piece I’ve ever seen made from scratch, which basically could be another way of saying it’s the overall best.

Utinniii

Reaction score
The extra wash really brings out the fine detail! The finished product looks amazing.

A gundark is something I've wanted to do. I even have the arms of a vintage Rancor for it.

Reaction score
Thanks so much Utinniii! The Gundark has been on my short list for a while. I have got a pretty good start on it. I will post start to finish once I get a little further. I took some more pictures this time that show more and how I build the armature and the process involved.