QUESTION Cleaning Vintage Fabric Capes

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if I've put this in the wrong place or there's a thread that already asks this.

Does anyone know a good, nondestructive method to clean light stains out of fabric capes? I recently got a 1983 Royal Guard with a super nice looking head but there's a spot on his cape. I managed to get most of it out with soap and water but I'd be thrilled if I could get it out completely without some sort of bleach.

Reaction score
Nearly all bleaches will discolor fabrics, often making fabric completely white. Even color safe bleach can react adversely with certain fabrics.

OxyClean. Dissolve powder in water. Soak for a minute or two. Rinse out water once and then refill and let soak for an hour or two. Rinse thoroughly. Repeat as needed. If this does not work, re-soak with full strenth solution without rinsing.

One word of caution is to be careful with OxyClean. The stuff is amazing, but soaking for too long can destroy some fabrics. Destroyed a very nice Han Endor cloak. I soaked it overnight. The inside of the cloak is a softer material and dissolved in areas, and completely peeled off. The outside of the cloak is sparkly clean, card fresh, though! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
One word of caution is to be careful with OxyClean. The stuff is amazing, but soaking for too long can destroy some fabrics. Destroyed a very nice Han Endor cloak. I soaked it overnight. The inside of the cloak is a softer material and dissolved in areas, and completely peeled off. The outside of the cloak is sparkly clean, card fresh, though! :ROFLMAO:

Do you know of any less aggressive cleaning solutions? I did get the majority of the staining out (I can't even tell at this point if what remains is staining or a trick of the light) so I don't want to risk anything too rough. I also would like to preserve the gradeability of the figure, in case I decide to get it sent off down the line. I was considering dish soap, but the capes aren't removable and I know they can screw up plastics if you get unlucky.

Sorry if I sound too picky, I just didn't realize how nearly great this thing was until I got it in-hand.

Reaction score
Club soda is an old wive's tale of how to get stains out of fabrics. It's probably just the bi-carbonate in the soda that does it, and it's already in solution. Haven't try this though, so I can't say if it's going to revive or ruin your piece.

Reaction score
I once disintegrated a klatuu skirt using soap and water and a soft toothbrush. My own foolish mistake, I should have looked at its condition closer before I went that route. It was pretty rough to begin with.

Reaction score
I once disintegrated a klatuu skirt using soap and water and a soft toothbrush. My own foolish mistake, I should have looked at its condition closer before I went that route. It was pretty rough to begin with.
Ouch. My Guard cape was fine after soap and water, but it was also very gentle hand soap. I'm trying to steer clear of using dish soap because of the effect it can have on rubber/soft plastics.

Reaction score
Woolite. Then air dry. Its designed to be gentle, been using it on mego outfits for years. Do not try to clean fur though. It always gets matted.

Reaction score
Woolite. Then air dry. Its designed to be gentle, been using it on mego outfits for years. Do not try to clean fur though. It always gets matted.
Do you know if it may affect the plastic at all? It drives me nuts I can't remove those capes to clean them.

Reaction score
Is the Royal Guard one of the neck/head designs where the head does not easily pop off?

Also, dish soap is the usual go-to for cleaning figures in general (other than avoiding the stickers on droids). Dawn is rather gentle. Or off-brand Dawn. Just dab a bit directly on the stain and let it sit for a while. I'd work and rub it from the inside of the Guard's robe so you are not making it fuzzier.

Also, it really depends on what the stain is. Hairspray gets out all sorts of ink rather easily. Peroxide gets out blood — if the material does not get bleached by it. Dish soap removes oil/grease. If dish soap does not remove the grease, apply some cornstarch and let it sit for several hours. Shake out the excess and then wash out with dish soap. The cornstarch adheres to the oils and then washes out with the cornstarch. I do this with t-shirts all of the time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is the Royal Guard one of the neck/head designs where the head does not easily pop off?

Also, dish soap is the usual go-to for cleaning figures in general (other than avoiding the stickers on droids). Dawn is rather gentle. Or off-brand Dawn. Just dab a bit directly on the stain and let it sit for a while. I'd work and rub it from the inside of the Guard's robe so you are not making it fuzzier.

Also, it really depends on what the stain is. Hairspray gets out all sorts of ink rather easily. Peroxide gets out blood — if the material does not get bleached by it. Dish soap removes oil/grease. If dish soap does not remove the grease, apply some cornstarch and let it sit for several hours. Shake out the excess and then wash out with dish soap. The cornstarch adheres to the oils and then washes out with the cornstarch. I do this with t-shirts all of the time.
Unfortunately it's the common American version with the glued head. Otherwise this would be a LOT easier.

I think my dish soap may be dawn. If it is, I'll give it a shot. This figure wasn't particularly expensive, at least, and it's not my only one. Also, I think it may be some kind of juice. Most of it seemed to come out with a very weak hand soap and the figure had a sticky feel to the fabric before I did any washing. That feeling is gone now, so it may have been sugar.