Chromed Naboo Royal Starship (not mine)

Reaction score
Reaction score
For a moment I thought this was a small scale ship, like AF or Titanium Series...

Some weeks ago, a fellow Scummer asked help with fixing scratched paint on his large scale Hasbro ship. I suggested chroming the whole thing, but never hoped such a project would've had this breathtaking result

Reaction score
That really does look great. I still like the way Hasbro did the finish on it, but the shiny like that is a lot more film accurate. That had to take a long time to make!

Reaction score
doot said:
I really like this, especially how it seems to vanish into the surroundings because of the reflections.
So flashy... and at the same time it does almost seem to vanish into the reflections. Very interesting effect.

Reaction score
WOW! This is incredible. Anyone here tried this with their ship? I had lurked around the auto paint aisles wondering if that might be the path to this project. Any thoughts?

Mike aka Sarge

Reaction score
CHEWIE said:
That really does look great. I still like the way Hasbro did the finish on it, but the shiny like that is a lot more film accurate. That had to take a long time to make!

Wasn't there a recipe for this at Yakface? This ship looks amazing, leaps and bounds better than the original toy and I loved that thing!

Reaction score
THAT'S WHY NOT ENUF OF THESE SOLD!! If it had been made like that it woulda been very popular.

Reaction score
Somebody find out where this chrome vinyl comes from! How large are the sheets, etc.?

Alex

Reaction score
You could probably also use a product called Bare-Metal. It's an adhesive backed chrome foil for model cars, planes, etc. You can get it at most hobby stores.

Reaction score
I actually ran across this auction yesterday and I was in awe at how well the chroming was done. Thanks for posting it! It's quite a beautiful piece.

Reaction score
I'll have to look around the craft stores in Savannah this weekend and see if I can find those sheets. We have a big college of art and design so they carry a great stock.

Said it before, this is a sweet idea.

Mike aka Sarge

Reaction score
Wow. I’ve never seen this. It’s nice to poke around in old threads and find something like this.
That is beautiful!
The vinyl chrome can be purchased at any sign shop that does vinyl lettering on trucks and such. They would probably have scraps left over from odd jobs that they would sell for next to nothing.

Reaction score
Thanks for bumping this thread. I must have missed it the first time around. I'm now inspired to try to track down this ship and do the same thing myself.

Reaction score
seeing this just made me think of all the cool ep 1 toys... and pretty much NONE of them have been put back into production

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the recipe over at Yakface included a pattern? I searched in their forums but nothing came up.
This is something I’d actually love to try out.

Reaction score
Reaction score
That spray on chrome would make me nervous... that guy's wearing a friggin' HazMat suit, not just a mask!

Reaction score
I wouldn’t even attempt to do it myself

I think I would have to let it sit outside for a week just to let all the fumes off gas.
It looks beautiful though. I’m going to look into pricing and I’ll post what I find.

Reaction score
I tried spray painting a Naboo fighter in chrome. Just the front part that's supposed to be chrome that is. It came out ok. The rubber front tips have now become tacky, which they weren't at first. And the slight overspray was a you know what to get off. Overall, it came out alright. I wouldn't attempt the whole royal starship with spraypaint though.

Reaction score
I wonder if this would look good on any other ship. Probably not. This is the only one I can remember that was chrome like this. maybe it would be cool on Grievouses' ship.

Reaction score
I think this may have been vac metallised as it shows the panel detailing on the ship really nicely which i don't think the chrome type material would cover as well. I've got a couple of pieces going through this process at the moment but it's not cheap and i've had to send them away - to be honest the spray process looks downright scary to me !

Reaction score
NewHopeCustoms said:
I think this may have been vac metallised as it shows the panel detailing on the ship really nicely which i don't think the chrome type material would cover as well. I've got a couple of pieces going through this process at the moment but it's not cheap and i've had to send them away - to be honest the spray process looks downright scary to me !
When the auction was up, the seller said that it was covered with thin sheets of chrome vinyl, and explained how each piece was hand cut to fit each individual panel. I don't think it was vac-metalized.

If you look at this pic: Pic From yakface
You can see that the screw holes do not have any sign of plating in them, you can see other bits that aren't plated as well.
It would be silly to have masked these areas if it were sprayed.
But what are you having vac-metalized? Where do you have it done? And what is the cost?

Reaction score
You’re right. The screw holes aren’t painted.

I can’t even begin to think of how tedious it would be to cut each panel. Considering that the ship itself is curved it must have been such a pain.

I wish the original seller would’ve made templates of each panel he cut. He could have continued to sell the templates on ebay. I would pay $10 for a downloadable PDF!

Reaction score
Yeah, I bet it was a pain. I think that the chrome vinyl is probably able to stretch a bit to work around the curves. I have an extra Naboo Starship that I may have to try this on.

Reaction score
Darkart99 said:
You’re right. The screw holes aren’t painted.

I can’t even begin to think of how tedious it would be to cut each panel. Considering that the ship itself is curved it must have been such a pain.

I wish the original seller would’ve made templates of each panel he cut. He could have continued to sell the templates on ebay. I would pay $10 for a downloadable PDF!
I don't think templates are necessary, just stick on the over sized adhesive chromed sticker sheet and trim around the edges with an Exacto blade. For most curved sections, just use several small sheets. Since it's all chromed, multi-layers and overlaps are hard to see. It's really that simple. The hard part is experimenting with a bit of chrome sticker sheets to get the technique right.