Chewie injured during the Sarlaac Pit Battle

Reaction score
I probably saw ROTJ fifty times before I realized that Chewbacca's leg is injured toward the beginning of the Sarlaac pit battle. I think Han says, "Chewie, you're hit? Where is it?" But I never really understood what he was saying until a few years ago. It all happens very fast and isn't really addressed again in the film. Does the novelization address this in more detail?

Reaction score
I probably saw ROTJ fifty times before I realized that Chewbacca's leg is injured toward the beginning of the Sarlaac pit battle. I think Han says, "Chewie, you're hit? Where is it?" But I never really understood what he was saying until a few years ago. It all happens very fast and isn't really addressed again in the film. Does the novelization address this in more detail?
I think he says "Chewiw, you okay?"

and then follows it up with "Where is he?" referencing Lando?

Reaction score
It's very brief and difficult to hear,but yeah Chewie takes a hit,
It can be seen later also in the ROTJ deleted Sandstorm scene when they return to the falcon, Lando is supporting Chewie, and you can see Chewie's leg is bandaged...( also shown on the figure )

Last edited:
Reaction score
For the longest time I always thought Han said "Chewie, your head? Where is it?"

Reaction score
Come on, guys ... Wookiee. Two Es, for ****'s sake! :D

I believe after he's hit, you can actually see Chewie bleeding in the film.

Reaction score
I believe after he's hit, you can actually see Chewie bleeding in the film.
Indeed you can. It's the shot right after Boba Fett's rope wraps around Luke. I think Han says, "I'm OK, pal" as Chewie grabs his bleeding leg.