Chewbacca - Prototype Edition (Retro)

Reaction score
Am I wrong in thinking this was the slowest sell out? I recall the Vader and Fett going really quick and the Stormtrooper after a several minutes. Either Target had a bigger order in or many of us passed.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Am I wrong in thinking this was the slowest sell out? I recall the Vader and Fett going really quick and the Stormtrooper after a several minutes. Either Target had a bigger order in or many of us passed.
Not everyone knows about forums and would see posted links. On the Target site itself, Chewbacca was not findable with simple searches until about half hour into the sale. I still dont know how the original link was found (maybe the poster has access to a Target PDA device?). Anyway, about half hour in, as soon as typing in a simple "Chewbacca" finally pulled him up, he sold out shortly thereafter. Because at that point the general masses would have found him and scooped him up.

Reaction score
Not everyone knows about forums and would see posted links. On the Target site itself, Chewbacca was not findable with simple searches until about half hour into the sale. I still dont know how the original link was found (maybe the poster has access to a Target PDA device?). Anyway, about half hour in, as soon as typing in a simple "Chewbacca" finally pulled him up, he sold out shortly thereafter. Because at that point the general masses would have found him and scooped him up.
I am not entirely sure that is accurate, I typed in star wars retro prototype and found it within the first 5 min. of course I used the link here to secure one first, but then wanted to see how long it took to come up. it was available for at least a good 45 min. I think this one is not nearly as cool as the others, and many grew tired of this gimmick. Now Glow in the dark Stormtroopers.....they might have had something.

Reaction score
I am not entirely sure that is accurate, I typed in star wars retro prototype and found it within the first 5 min. of course I used the link here to secure one first, but then wanted to see how long it took to come up. it was available for at least a good 45 min. I think this one is not nearly as cool as the others, and many grew tired of this gimmick. Now Glow in the dark Stormtroopers.....they might have had something.
It seems the site acted differently for some people. My friend searched the exact title "star wars retro prototype chewbacca" or whatever it was and found it, but when I tried the same search, nothing came up. I had the search page for "Chewbacca" opened and kept refreshing every 5 minutes and he didnt show up for about 30 minutes doing that. I had already ordered from the original posted link, but was just testing it out. So who knows? Glitchy Target site seems to be the norm.

Reaction score
Near the greatest snow on Earth. (SLC, UT)
Got it! I dunno how you find those heh.
I follow quite a few social media groups/accounts. I'll usually see at least a half dozen or more notifications as soon as something goes up. It gets a bit overwhelming on large pre-order days like today. Thankfully, there were only a few exclusives, and only one that was likely to sell out early.

Reaction score
It seems the site acted differently for some people. My friend searched the exact title "star wars retro prototype chewbacca" or whatever it was and found it, but when I tried the same search, nothing came up. I had the search page for "Chewbacca" opened and kept refreshing every 5 minutes and he didnt show up for about 30 minutes doing that. I had already ordered from the original posted link, but was just testing it out. So who knows? Glitchy Target site seems to be the norm.
I remember when the Merrick X wings were out, and some people had them available and other didn't! it was for sure a regional thing. Etain always comes through with the links, but like someone here said not everyone is privy to the resources we have.

Reaction score
I missed out on the pre-order for this one as I was at a work event and couldn't get my phone out. I sure hope everyone is right and I can grab one later...

Reaction score
Everything "sold out" seems to pop up on Target as card re-authorizations are processed and items cancelled for card issues. You just need to keep an eye on what you are looking for.

Will probably show up in stores as well eventually.

Reaction score
Everything "sold out" seems to pop up on Target as card re-authorizations are processed and items cancelled for card issues. You just need to keep an eye on what you are looking for.

Will probably show up in stores as well eventually.
If we get a release date you can likely order one for pickup.

Reaction score
I follow quite a few social media groups/accounts. I'll usually see at least a half dozen or more notifications as soon as something goes up. It gets a bit overwhelming on large pre-order days like today. Thankfully, there were only a few exclusives, and only one that was likely to sell out early.
I appreciate everything you do posting the links here on rebelscum for someone like me that doesn't have social media accounts.

Reaction score
If anyone can hook me up with some extras MOC, I would be most thankful. This is one of the few releases I did purchase.

Reaction score
I haven't found any of these at retail, and could never preorder them online. I might have been interested in them if I could have gotten them in store for $10 a piece.

Reaction score
I haven't found any of these at retail, and could never preorder them online. I might have been interested in them if I could have gotten them in store for $10 a piece.
None of them even retailed at $9.99. Vader was $10.99 I believe and he was the cheapest.

Reaction score
Whenever one of these prototype figures comes along, I'm always like..."Hmmmm, maaaaaaaaaaaybe I'll get that.............if I actually see it." I'll probably pass on this, I've never seen any of these style figures in a retail store and don't really dig the figure's multicolor theme but I think the cardbacks are really cool, I'd likely have picked one up if I could have found one in the wild just cos I like those cards. If you put the regular vintage style figures on those cards, they'd all be definite purchases for me.

Reaction score
None of them even retailed at $9.99. Vader was $10.99 I believe and he was the cheapest.

I guess that's part of the problem, then, the pricing. Even $11 would have been fine. Are these now going for VC prices? I can't imagine paying that much for a thicker holofoil cardback, a figure with 0 paint deco, and 5 (or less!) POA.

Reaction score
I guess that's part of the problem, then, the pricing. Even $11 would have been fine. Are these now going for VC prices? I can't imagine paying that much for a thicker holofoil cardback, a figure with 0 paint deco, and 5 (or less!) POA.

The basic assortment of Retro is still $10-11, but the exclusives are climbing. This Chewie prototype is now $14, the same price as a TVC basic figure (those of which often feature super articulation and actual deco), yet this is a 4 POA unpainted rehash, lol. These probably cost Hasbro pennies on the dollar to produce, yet they know charging more won't have much of an impact, because addicted collectors and hoarders/scalpers will buy them up, even when so many post about how much of an overpriced bore they've become. I think this is why we don't see any change or a shift in offering more variety to Retro exclusives.

Reaction score
I did get the preoder in here but if anyone can get some of this furry guy, please keep me in mind.

Reaction score
The Imperial Dignitary prototype should be interesting…and literally just purple.

It's already been bootlegged! lol It would be funny if Hasbro did a Retro Imperial Dignitary release before a TVC figure, but I think the demand is really for the modern resculpt, the vast majority that wanted a Kenner figure already own it.

s-l1600.jpg

Reaction score
I’m glad I ordered one. I’m setting my Retros up on a shelf and I’m glad I have everything so far. The protos actually look really good.

Reaction score
any leads on when this might be up for online orders or showing up in-store? my kid's daycare is RIGHT next to a target so for once i'm actually decently close to one, but obv i'd prefer the security of getting an order in online. though i'm also specifically trying to get a blue-torso one i think

Reaction score
I predict they never show up at brick and mortar; few of these rainbow protos have.

Reaction score
The Imperial Dignitary prototype should be interesting…and literally just purple.
Has anybody bought enough of one prototype to dis- and reassemble them into solid colors? The six variants shown in the image amount to six solid colors all in all - no duplicate parts, no missing parts. But I wonder whether this is representative.

Reaction score
Has anybody bought enough of one prototype to dis- and reassemble them into solid colors? The six variants shown in the image amount to six solid colors all in all - no duplicate parts, no missing parts. But I wonder whether this is representative.

I would like to have a few all-red Stormtroopers for the sheer novelty of it. I'm not willing to pay for all the stormies it would take to make such an undertaking a reality...

Reaction score
either stormie or fett i remember ordering a couple online, and when i went to the store to pick up they had a whole end cap full!
What planet were you on, Coruscant? Because that’s not even close to 99% of people’s experience. But like any pegs, it IS remotely possible.

Reaction score
I never had this idea. That would be an expensive but interesting experiment! If you bought six, I guess you could make six figures. I’ve always wanted to make six figures.

Reaction score
If you bought six, I guess you could make six figures. I’ve always wanted to make six figures.
Now I do have a vague feeling that these figures you're talking about would not be in different colors.
All green. Definitely green.
(Are they still? Haven't been to the US in years.)