Chewbacca - Prototype Edition (Retro)

GNT

Reaction score
Looks like Hasbro have plans for the latest Prototype Edition figure with Chewbacca. Will you try and score all the variations?

Attachments

• 1C0E2966-1321-4FAD-86DC-A06DC963BFF5.jpeg
    1C0E2966-1321-4FAD-86DC-A06DC963BFF5.jpeg
    726.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 5A22D7A6-E439-46E7-AA5F-F5A339EDDFBB.jpeg
    5A22D7A6-E439-46E7-AA5F-F5A339EDDFBB.jpeg
    611.6 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Utter lack of creativity. The former Kenner employees working on Retro can surely come up with better concepts for exclusives.
I don't think there are any former Kenner employees currently with Hasbro at the point. But this is the exact type of item that should be an exclusive. It's got a certain following, but it doesn't appeal to everyone. This is the kind of thing that would not get made if it weren't an exclusive. Hasbro really can't say that about most of the TVC figures that wind up being Walmart exclusives.

Reaction score
I don't think there are any former Kenner employees currently with Hasbro at the point. But this is the exact type of item that should be an exclusive. It's got a certain following, but it doesn't appeal to everyone. This is the kind of thing that would not get made if it weren't an exclusive. Hasbro really can't say that about most of the TVC figures that wind up being Walmart exclusives.

Hasbro reps previously mentioned a couple times that former Kenner employees have joined the team to help design the Retro figures - this was from the start. This is also why some consider Retro to be a continuation of the old Kenner line, as some of those folks are now working with Hasbro. Another reason that I and others refer to them as reissues instead of repros. This is a critical factor in expecting more from this line.

Reaction score
I'm going to try to get at least one of these tomorrow. I actually got all 6 of both Boba and the Stormtrooper. Only 1 of Vader.

Reaction score
Near the greatest snow on Earth. (SLC, UT)
Repost from main Retro thread.

Chewbacca Prototype Edition. There are six different color variants. Code-named "Eraser".

Target-Icon-18px.png
Exclusive in the U.S.

Available for pre-order April 7th at 1pm ET. On shelf Summer 2022. MSRP is $14.99.

Press Release

Inspired by the original 1970s Kenner STAR WARS action figures, this STAR WARS: RETRO COLLECTION 3.75-INCH CHEWBACCA PROTOTYPE EDITION Figure features premium design and five points of articulation. This figure's vibrant, multi-colored prototype deco is sure to add a bright pop of color to any fan's STAR WARS collection. A legendary Wookiee warrior and Han Solo's longtime co-pilot, Chewbacca continues to serve as faithful first mate behind the controls of the Millennium Falcon. Beautifully rendered retro packaging captures a colorful pop art style and includes throwback STAR WARS branding and a Kenner Toys logo. Imagine the excitement of the '70s when the STAR WARS original trilogy had just begun. Includes figure and 1 accessory.

Press Images

Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Carded-Resized.jpg
Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-1-Resized.jpg

Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-2-Resized.jpg
Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-3-Resized.jpg

Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-4-Resized.jpg
Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-5-Resized.jpg

HD Images

Spoiler:  
Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Carded.jpg

Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-4.jpg

Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-5.jpg

Reaction score
Repost from main Retro thread.

Chewbacca Prototype Edition. There are six different color variants. Code-named "Eraser".

Target-Icon-18px.png
Exclusive in the U.S.

Available for pre-order April 7th at 1pm ET. On shelf Summer 2022. MSRP is $14.99.

Press Release

Inspired by the original 1970s Kenner STAR WARS action figures, this STAR WARS: RETRO COLLECTION 3.75-INCH CHEWBACCA PROTOTYPE EDITION Figure features premium design and five points of articulation. This figure's vibrant, multi-colored prototype deco is sure to add a bright pop of color to any fan's STAR WARS collection. A legendary Wookiee warrior and Han Solo's longtime co-pilot, Chewbacca continues to serve as faithful first mate behind the controls of the Millennium Falcon. Beautifully rendered retro packaging captures a colorful pop art style and includes throwback STAR WARS branding and a Kenner Toys logo. Imagine the excitement of the '70s when the STAR WARS original trilogy had just begun. Includes figure and 1 accessory.

Press Images

Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Carded-Resized.jpg
Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-1-Resized.jpg

Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-2-Resized.jpg
Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-3-Resized.jpg

Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-4-Resized.jpg
Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-5-Resized.jpg

HD Images

Spoiler:  
Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Carded.jpg

Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-4.jpg

Retro-Chewbacca-Prototype-Edition-Loose-5.jpg
Etain if you are able to post the link, will it be here or in the retro section? We all know finding a link to a Target exclusive is essential to securing a preorder unfortunately. 😩

Reaction score
This rainbow thing is really gotten out of hand and boring. Why not offer actual Retro figures as it was when this all started? Personally I have no interest in this multi color Chewbacca. A pass for me.

Reaction score
I can understand that hardcore collectors would appreciate having an actual prototype in hand. But technically they’re not even prototypes—they’re reproductions of prototypes, which is like buying a reproduction of an original painting that wasn’t even that cool looking to begin with.

Reaction score
Yeah, and none of the actual prototypes look anything like these, lol. What I'd like to see is something from the prototype stages during the Kenner days that was never released as a figure. They did a Jedi Master Luke that would be perfect for an exclusive, and would be even more popular because of the Mando appearance. Owning one of these is cool as a novelty, but its boring now with multiple characters that look the same, so some creativity needs to be brought to this assortment.

Reaction score
I’m only getting one of these ugly bastards for my loose collection. I’ve gotten multiples of the others but refuse to fully support this crappy gimmick any further.

Reaction score
Not crazy about them but in the mindset of "well I have the others."

Chewie was my first figure way back in 1978 from a huge dump bin at Sears.

Reaction score
I've never been able to get these on pre-order, but somehow was lucky enough to find them at store opening.
Maybe this time I'll be able to buy from home and sleep in on release day!

Reaction score
I can never figure out the right way to search, seems like it shows up first under different search critirea each time.

Reaction score
Etain, I dont know how you did that. I had different windows open with different pages ready to see the Chewy on refresh and he still hasnt shown up, and yes I have "Show out of stock" and "Sold at Target" and sort by "Newest" all checked off. But thanks for the link!

Reaction score
Got an order in for 2, which is the max per order. I don't have complete collections of the other Prototype figures. I'm just happy with a few.