Celebration VI was AWESOME

Reaction score
Back at work after flying home from CVI... and I had just an amazing time down there. It was chaos, stuff went wrong, I was under a ton of stress, but in the end it was hanging out with my collector friends that made it a joy despite the bumps. I picked up a couple really nice pieces I'll post here after I unpack and take a couple photos. One of them's a Holy Grail I didn't think I'd ever track down.

Reaction score
I have to agree! I didn't spend too much time in line for panels or interviews, as I only attended a few. I managed to gather sets of the DC falcon club patches, the fansite Death Star patches and the collecting clubs Clone Wars poster patches.

Finally got Mark Hamill's autograph, and make him laugh when I said I finally got to meet "Luke Effing Skywalker"! Got Kyle Newman to sign my Ben Quadrinaros figure, and Kenner Baker's signature too.

Met up with a friend of mine from Indianna and just had a great time in general. Yes, there was chaos, and it did get somewhat stressful at times, but being in a place where everyone is there for the same reason somehow made it easier. I finally got to meet some people face to face that I had been talking with online. Overall, it was a blast. I am VERY happy that C7 won't be next year though!

Reaction score
C6 was a wonderful time! The Star Tots were fun to collect (despite the super long lines to get into the panel's). I was surprised by how friendly everyone was and by all the super detailed fan made costumes. My highlight was finally getting to meet Ian McDiarmid in person!

Reaction score
Wow is all I can say. I had such a wonderful time. It was great fun to see a lot of my fellow scummers again since CV. And for those who I didn't get to meet you probably saw me trotting around as Indy.

Thanks to Broc for the prototype from the room sales and to all those who handed out pins (Rob A., Mattias R., Broc W., Derek H., Don, Andy L, Alyssa, Brian, and Sean). I picked up some great additions from Todd C. like a blaster from the LFL archives auction and a couple of crew shirts from Raiders of the Lost Ark and ILM. I wasn't too crazy about the prices on MOC out on the floor, but there was no real need to blow all my money at Celebration. All the more reason to come back here and frequently check in the Classifieds. I hope you all had a safe trip home and now it's time for me to hunker down and welcome Isaac to New Orleans. Keep N.O. in your prayers and thoughts.

Jonathan

Reaction score
That. Was. Awesome.

This was my first Celebration and I don't think I could have had a better time. Nothing could beat meeting everyone face to face; I had so much fun hanging out and talking with you guys and gals. It was a great opportunity to make new friends and solidify some of the ones that only existed online or over the phone. That alone made the trip worthwhile.

But everything else on top of it -- Wow!

Meeting Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker, as well as crew-members like Lorne Peterson. Finding cast and crew items at the room sales that, only a couple hours earlier, Gus and I had talked about as being so freakin' hard to find. Picking up some amazing prototypes (and learning valuable lessons from the couple I missed). Talking to not one, not two, but THREE former Kenner employees. The awesome collector and behind-the-scenes panels. The parties. The bars. The dinners... I could go on and on! If I were to list every favorite moment, I'd pretty much be listing every single moment!

Thanks to everyone who helped make this such a fantastic time. Can't wait until the next one!

Reaction score
All in all it was a great experience. It was the first time I attended a Convention abroad. To meet so many forum members in person was probably the best thing. Apart from that I was astonished by all that merchandise stuff that was available: common items next to super rare stuff. Crazy:grin:.
Me and my wife had a smooth stay in Orlando.

The distribution of exclusives, like the Tots, is a good thing, BUT all these collectors "raided" the panel room just to get these Tots. I highly doubt all of them were interested in the different panels. Because of this I was unable to attend a couple of collector panels I was interested content-wise. Further I think it must not be the first and foremost thing to stand in a line during the celebration just to receive such goodies.
Just my two cents. I don't want to offend anyone. You did a good job, but it might be worth to think of how to deconflict this for the next Celebration.

Reaction score
For me this was an awesome experience

Only regret was that I missed the room sales yet again, but atleast I got to check out the Chive Party and talk with fellow vintage collectors

Had a blast hunting down & trading Star Tots & highlight of the weekend was my daughter saying "Daddy I didn't realize how fun collecting Star Wars is."

Reaction score
I had a blast as always. Here are a few pics of me at the show.It was great meeting so many friends who are on here in person. Im thinking of CII as I have never been out of the USA.

Reaction score
Had an awesome time too! I just got back to Singapore after a nearly 30 hour journey from Orlando to LA to Narita, Japan to Singapore, barely had time to unpack before having to head back to work. As always it was good to meet up with old friends and make new ones. The nights were long and we all had little sleep and the packing was tedious but it was all worthwhile! Thanks for all the swag and deals everyone cut me. I'll post pictures soon after I have unpacked but here's a picture of me back at Singapore airport

Reaction score
As promised - my grail item!

Let me start with the story. Back when guys got back from Peru, they talked about the Basa line in this thread. New stuff was discovered, like that all the Basa figures were manufactured by Kenner and shipped down there. The big mystery was the origin of their ESB45-RL 3POs, since they aren't believed to have ever been actually produced by Kenner, and there are no known examples. The Basa figures are definitive proof they were produced by Kenner... though maybe they were all shipped to Peru. Or maybe just none of the ones that shipped to US retailers survived or have been found. Who knows?

Luis, the owner of the cardback featured on the Archive, saw the thread and sent me an IM. He noticed I said it was a grail of mine, and said he might know someone in Peru who owned another and would be open to offers. And that his mom was flying down to Peru to visit, and could pick it up for me. Flights from Mexico to Peru to Mexico to Orlando... and well... check it out:

And the proud new owner:

My head's still swimming over it. This is only the second known production example Kenner ESB45 3PO. It's a goal I'd completely given up on. All those debut cardback collectors looking for one over more than a decade (not to mention me...), and not one ever turned up. The only English-language one known was Luis' Basa, which was mistakenly assumed to be foreign. It wasn't. Really it's just crazy. And now I own one.

The cardback is in pretty nice shape - not pristine like Luis' but other than the bubble damage it's solid. I checked and the punch stamp matches those of my other production ESB45s. It's a beautiful thing.

Huge thanks to Luis and Luis' mom for helping me out with this. I'll always be in their debt.

The cardback now resides on a shelf next to the rest of my Kenner MOCs.

http://www.creaturecantina.com/news_images/2012/0829/basa-esb45-3po-c.jpg

Reaction score

Let me start with the story. Back when guys got back from Peru, they talked about the Basa line in this thread. New stuff was discovered, like that all the Basa figures were manufactured by Kenner and shipped down there. The big mystery was the origin of their ESB45-RL 3POs, since they aren't believed to have ever been actually produced by Kenner, and there are no known examples. The Basa figures are definitive proof they were produced by Kenner... though maybe they were all shipped to Peru. Or maybe just none of the ones that shipped to US retailers survived or have been found. Who knows?

Luis, the owner of the cardback featured on the Archive, saw the thread and sent me an IM. He noticed I said it was a grail of mine, and said he might know someone in Peru who owned another and would be open to offers. And that his mom was flying down to Peru to visit, and could pick it up for me. Flights from Mexico to Peru to Mexico to Orlando... and well... check it out:

And the proud new owner:

My head's still swimming over it. This is only the second known production example Kenner ESB45 3PO. It's a goal I'd completely given up on. All those debut cardback collectors looking for one over more than a decade (not to mention me...), and not one ever turned up. The only English-language one known was Luis' Basa, which was mistakenly assumed to be foreign. It wasn't. Really it's just crazy. And now I own one.

The cardback is in pretty nice shape - not pristine like Luis' but other than the bubble damage it's solid. I checked and the punch stamp matches those of my other production ESB45s. It's a beautiful thing.

Huge thanks to Luis and Luis' mom for helping me out with this. I'll always be in their debt.

Congrats!!! Wow just wow. What an awesome collection and congrats on finding such a sweet grail piece. Was it bittersweet? The reason I ask is now you have to find a new grail. :grin:

As far as celebration went.....I was blown away. It was great meeting all the scummers( Johnathan,ToddG, Tim, Mattias, Luis, J, Robbygnz and a few others whose names escape me right now) You guys are a great family and full of great information. Thanks for sharing it at the panels....well....the two I made it to. LOL. I didn't really buy much so maybe next year in CE 2. I have plans to make it to that. Anybody in Germany want to share a flat?

Reaction score
That is great, Bill. To get such a domestic and foreign rarity at the same time really is special.

Maybe they had Anakin offer 3P0s in Peru? :)

Reaction score
Yeah - my new grail is still my current grail I was looking for after I gave up on this grail - Anakin offer 3PO.

Reaction score
Awesome piece Bill & it was nice meeting the artist who penned my mug in a comic -

Seeing your devotion to your C 3PO focus makes me wonder whether I should expand on my currently neglected Jedi Luke focus

Reaction score
Great stuff Bill! What a great story! Kudos to Luis and his mom for helping you complete such a goal! Thank you for sharing!

Reaction score
That's great Bill! It's a great example of fellow collectors helping each other out.

And I agree CVI was AWESOME!

Reaction score
Bill Im really pleased for you man. Im a bit of a focused collector myself these days so I can relate to the significance of your find.

Regards

Grant.

HWR

Reaction score
Great story and an amazing addition to your C-3PO focus, Bill. Huge congrats on adding this extremely rare piece, can't think of a more suitable place for this in the wotrld than in your collection.

Reaction score
Bill,

Congrats on a cool piece. I would have loved to see it in person.

I had a blast.. Great to see old friends again and meet new ones (to many to list, but so many were great). Looking forward to the next one.

LuisG

Reaction score

And the proud new owner:

Hello Bill

It was a pleasure to help you my friend with this item.
It looks great in your wonderful C3PO collection!!

Best

Luis Galvez

Reaction score
That's a great story, Bill - and a killer score!

Here are some of my favorite photos from CVI:

The Patriot

Skye's Chewy Boba Tea discovery

Archive Party goods...courtesy of Chris Botkins

Mount Chewmore

Broc's Infamous and Focus-related Photo Bomb

Perhaps not the safest ride, but I'd be pretty happy if that was me too!

Chewbacca cutting the Chewseum Curator's hair.

R5-D4[SUP]3[/SUP]

It was phenomenal to see so many familiar faces (many of which for the first time since CV)...it felt as if things picked up exactly where the last Celebration left off and that no time had passed at all. As always, meeting so many new wonderful people is the second half of the awesomeness that unfolds at these events. Not sure if Germany is in the cards for me, but I will certainly try. :)

-Steve

Reaction score
Here are some awesome freebies I picked up at CVI,

Which I promptly added to the other freebies I collected at previous Celebrations

Also managed to pick up a couple of other items for my collection too,

Mailer 4 pack with QC sign off

ESB Mailer 10 pack

ROTJ 3 Pack Mailer

Die Cast Landspeeder

Bunch of reasonably priced Baggies

Couple of nice complete loose Glasslites (thanks Shane!)

Still unpacking the rest :)

Uncle Gundy :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agree, it was (more than) awesome! Still have some new memories popping up (I blame the Jäger)! Got a couple of new things for the collection but the best thing was meeting you all! Anyone fancy a hug?

Reaction score
And THAT is the reason Broc wouldn't let me crash the room when I was scrambling for space. LOL

John
Believe it or not... it was "muuuuuccchhh" worse than that B)