Celebration VI Volunteering

Reaction score
At CV I voulunteered for "Official Pix" and "REED".
This time around it will be "501st - Shoot-A-Trooper" (Peter Mayhew Foundation) and "Rebel Legion" table duty.
Also helping out with a small part of "501st - Shoot-A-Trooper" as cashier for an hour on the Thursday and that's before the schedule is announced! Never expected to be asked to help out in a little way! Might do another hour if the schedule works in my favour! :)

Reaction score
No one likes this thread anymore... Just wanted to get an opinion... Would a volunteer be considered "crew"?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to reference. Generally speaking, NO. For example, the sales night on wed is open to crew, but has not been specifically opened to volunteers. Even if it was, OPIX volunteers could not get in as they at best would have badges when they are working and on Thurs AM. Other volunteers may have badges on wednesday and may or may not be allowed into the store regardless. It seems this year Reed is taking more effort to ensure access only per your badge type for various scenarios. There has always been separate crew vs volunteer badges.

Reaction score
There has always been separate crew vs volunteer badges.
I would not bet my life on it, but I'd have to disagree. I volunteered at the past 2 Celebrations and was given a "crew member" badge in place of my 4 day badge. I believe that all crew members are volunteers.

Reaction score
I sit naked but my underwear corrected. CV and C4 they were Crew badges. C3-CE-CJ they were Volunteer. I did not check further back, I guess the years are blending together for me. :) The Crew badge this year has a ST on it. So then yes, volunteers who get badges early (IE not OPIX) will be able to attend the wed night sales, assuming as volunteers they get a Crew badge and there is not a specific volunteer badge.

I would not bet my life on it, but I'd have to disagree. I volunteered at the past 2 Celebrations and was given a "crew member" badge in place of my 4 day badge. I believe that all crew members are volunteers.

Reaction score
I checked my CV volunteer badge and it, too, says "crew".
That's what threw me when I attempted to volunteer for REED this time when they opted to compensate services rendered. They were looking for "crews" to work for them. I decided against it.

Reaction score
"One last time, volunteers must be 18 years of age and provide their own travel, lodging, and admission badge. Your badge will be traded at the morning check-ins before a.m. shifts for a volunteer badge and swapped back at the end of your shift. This allows you to be in the building early. AFTERNOON SHIFT VOLUNTEERS DO NOT HAVE TO SWAP BADGES! Badge swapping is only if you are on morning shift or working all day (therefore checking in early). CREW BADGES ARE NOT GOING TO BE HANDED OUT."

From OPX

Reaction score
I have no idea who constitutes "crew" except that when you are working for OPX, you are our crew and I am happy to have you!

Reaction score
I have no idea who constitutes "crew" except that when you are working for OPX, you are our crew and I am happy to have you!
VIP's just received an email (as reported on the Rebelscum home page) that stated the Exclusive Wednesday Night Shopping Party was for "Jedi Master, Jedi Knight, Crew and Exhibitors. So who are "crew"? Volunteers were Crew at the previous Celebration's. Has that changed? OPIX has said they are not handing out Crew badges. I just want to know whether or not to plan for the event. It would be ashame if Reed Volunteers were considered Crew, but OPIX volunteers were not.

Reaction score
This has been public for some time. I'm not sure why they advertise it (primarily crew/exhibitors...not that it was a big secret) as it only fuels the gripefest. That said, it would seem that OPIX will be crew based on past events (those times where volunteer badges were in play they too were considered crew for purposes such as these), but will not be able to attend this event as crew badges for OPIX volunteers will not be given out except in exchange for AM or full day shift workers. If they check badges at this event and you don't have one then you may be screwed unless you are crafty.

Reaction score
Reed volunteers get Crew badges because they have to work 30 hours this time around -- so in a manner of speaking, they really earn the right to go shopping early B)

Reaction score
Reed volunteers get Crew badges because they have to work 30 hours this time around -- so in a manner of speaking, they really earn the right to go shopping early B)
I saw that, but am curious how they can get that many volunteers (paid or not) to come to a convention (that these people want to attend) and work the "ENTIRE" convention? I can see getting some, but not in the numbers they would need. I can only imagine the types of people they could find to work all 4 days and "some will have to work Wednesday night too". True fans would likely not have any interest there. Do these working Reed "volunteers" have to pay for their badge too?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I saw that, but am curious how they can get that many volunteers (paid or not) to come to a convention (that these people want to attend) and work the "ENTIRE" convention? I can see getting some, but I not in the numbers they would need. I can only imagine the types of people they could find to work all 4 days and "some will have to work Wednesday night too". True fans would likely not have any interest there. Do these working Reed "volunteers" have to pay for their badge too?
I would think that the "official" worker for REED would not have to pay for their badge.
As an employee, I would only assume that REED has an entirely different badge that the workers will
wear to distinquish themselves as "REED's Crew".
Of course, I'm only assuming here but I do know a 501st member who will be working
from Wed. to Sun. I'll ask him.

Reaction score
Usually its a standard crew badge, the distinction was in the tshirt...much like OPIX. CV there were different staff Tshirts for each day, and a couple of other generic Staff shirts. Many of the staff are not actually Star Wars fans, its something to do and/or a job. Officially or not crew have always had early access to the shop.

I'm not certain what all the fuss is about re this?

Reaction score
Usually its a standard crew badge, the distinction was in the tshirt...much like OPIX. CV there were different staff Tshirts for each day, and a couple of other generic Staff shirts. Many of the staff are not actually Star Wars fans, its something to do and/or a job. Officially or not crew have always had early access to the shop.

I'm not certain what all the fuss is about re this?
The fuss is that at least OPIX volunteers do not have early access at this Convention at all. I was only trying to find out if OPIX volunteers are consdiered "crew" like in past conventions and how that relates to the Wednesday Night shopping party (since OPIX will not be getting Crew badges at all). Reed does say that "crew" may attend the Shopping Party, but if we do not get a crew badge, then what? are we invited or not? Are we considered crew or not? Just want to know whether or not to plan for it. Thats all.

Reaction score
I beleive Tracy already answered this prior. I would base it on if you dont have the badge then you dont get the access. So I would plan on not being able to attend that night as it stands now. This year the perks for working for OPIX are solely working for OPIX, nothing else. You can agree or disagree but that's the way it is.

Reaction score
For CV I got an email about the Shopping Party. Had to reply if I was coming to it or not,so i'm guessing if you didn't get one then Opix volunteers aren't being threated like crew this time. I know I worked more then 30 hours last time,but that was because I wanted to and was having fun. Telling me I have to work 30 hours,no way. Way to ruin the fun Reed.

Reaction score
Honestly, the past 2 celebrations there hasn't been a huge issue with getting merchandise and such. I mean yes, it is cool to get it before the general public, but I think it's just as awesome to get the things you want more than anything. If it's going to be sold out, then yes, missing out on the early shopping party does stink, but so long as you get what your aiming for, it should be cool!
And yea, having a 30 hour requirement is kind of strict there....kind of takes some of the fun out of it, doesn't it?

Reaction score
Thanks Ross!

If there is a question about "crew" shopping privileges, it should be addressed to Reed but I can pretty much guarantee OPX volunteers are not included in the early shopping extravaganza.

Back on track, I have some openings for OPX volunteers Saturday 2-7 and Sunday 1-5 if anyone wants to pick up extra shifts.

Thanks!
TK

Reaction score
Thanks Ross!

If there is a question about "crew" shopping privileges, it should be addressed to Reed but I can pretty much guarantee OPX volunteers are not included in the early shopping extravaganza.

Back on track, I have some openings for OPX volunteers Saturday 2-7 and Sunday 1-5 if anyone wants to pick up extra shifts.

Thanks!
TK
I could help with Sunday, if needed- I think I wrote that to you in a previous email.

Reaction score
Im already on for the shifts stated.Anything for late Thursday?? :grin:
Tony~

Reaction score
Form OPX:
"We will have a general orientation Wednesday evening, likely 6 pm. I will e-mail details of that and where we are doing morning check-in in a couple more weeks- I am not trying to be secretive, I just don't have that info yet! :) IF YOU CANNOT MAKE ORIENTATION, LOOK FOR "OPX VOLUNTEERS CHECK-IN HERE" DIRECTIONAL TYPE SIGNS, and RED-shirted volunteers starting at 830 each morning. We have to have 90 of you checked in with badges swapped and volunteer shirts on by 915 so you can start at 930. PLEASE BE EARLY/ON TIME!"

Am I the only one who reads these things...LOL J/K :grin: More then likley the "Autograph Hall"
Tony~
Speaking of orientation? Do you know where it is going to be held?
Aaron

Last edited:
Reaction score
is anyone willing to sell their official pix volunteer pin? please pm me :)