Celebration VI Volunteering

Reaction score
Question for those that have volunteered before - how do the dates, times, work?

Do you request certain amount of hours your willing to volunteer? Or is there a standard for everyone?

Reaction score
BlueSnag said:
Question for those that have volunteered before - how do the dates, times, work?

Do you request certain amount of hours your willing to volunteer? Or is there a standard for everyone?
You are usually required to work a certain number of hours but Anne has the hours set in blocks. When you fill out the volunteer questionaire you will get to decide which times will work for you.

Also, Anne has always been more than willing to work with the volunteers, if there is a panel or something that you are dying to see but it's during your time to work, she will usually get someone to fill in during that time.

Reaction score
I'm thinking about volunteering but what does it entail? is it just walking the celebrities around like an extra body guard or is it assisting them making sure they have water, pens and pics etc?

Reaction score
DarkArtist said:
I'm thinking about volunteering but what does it entail? is it just walking the celebrities around like an extra body guard or is it assisting them making sure they have water, pens and pics etc?
When I was helping at C5 I got the pens, picture from OPX at the beginning. We never had to worry about getting them water or anything like that. We sat with them, took the tickets, and took pictures of them with the fans. When I worked other areas, I helped get photos for people at the store, grabbed pins, mini busts, etc. I also helped with crowd control where they bought auto tickets. I also helped with when people bought/sent in items to get autographs on. Really there was not a bad job among them. I loved every minute of it. I had 4 [censored] at C5. I also worked with OPX at C2E2 the first year and let people in to her booth. I worked with Catherine Tabor, James Arnold Taylor, and Matt Lanter at C5.

Reaction score
Question. After filling out the volunteer form, was there some sort of notification that you had submitted it? When I filled mine out and hit the submit, it just stayed on the same form page. How do I know if it was sent?

Reaction score
The information you entered should have been sent to your email address. That's what happened when my sister filled one out.

Reaction score
JediEddy said:
Question. After filling out the volunteer form, was there some sort of notification that you had submitted it? When I filled mine out and hit the submit, it just stayed on the same form page. How do I know if it was sent?
That happened to me too. I contacted Anne and she said it was fixed and had me fill it out again. You should receive a notification and an email after you click submit. If you didn't, it probably didn't get sent so let her know.

Reaction score
I've volunteered a LOT with OPX (and am actually doing so again in about a month at Fan Days) and Anne is pretty much awesome. It can be anything from working at the OPX store, pulling pictures, autos, etc. to managing autograph lines to sitting with the actors themselves. I worked CV last year and had the pleasure of sitting with Ray Park and Mark Hamill. Highlight of my entire year. Plus, while you're not paid for volunteering, you usually are rewarded with some 8x10s with signatures or, depending on the convention, vouchers for a personalized autograph.

I love volunteering and do it as much as possible. It's so much fun to do. Sign up and have a blast. You won't regret it!

Reaction score
Its well worth it, Me and a buddy have been volunteering since C3 its always a blast.

Reaction score
Question. On the Official Pix volunteer page where is asks "what compensation would you like for your time?", what sorts of things are you guys putting down. I have no idea what to write and I certainty don't want to put down something stupid that sounds greedy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's kinda weird. I wasn't asked that last year.
My sixth sense tells me that it could be used as a filter in deciding who is selected.
Or possibly just a different way in asking questions.

Reaction score
That's kinda weird. I wasn't asked that last year.
My sixth sense tells me that it could be used as a filter in deciding who is selected.
Or possibly just a different way in asking questions.
I beleive its just a way to explore compensation options. They usually give you some autographed photos (1 per hour) but they are always looking for creative measure to please thier volunteer staff.

Reaction score
I beleive its just a way to explore compensation options. They usually give you some autographed photos (1 per hour) but they are always looking for creative measure to please thier volunteer staff.
Yeah okay that makes sense, thanks for that. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
The best for me was the crew badge. The volunteer pin, shirt and autos were great, but honestly they got stuck in a box and forgot about afterwards. The crew badge was awesome and was even better than the jedi knight badge IMHO. Hopefully it's still offered.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself and address some of your questions since we are much less than a year away now!

My name is Tracy Kelly and while Anne is doing the scheduling for C6, I will be the onsite manager.

My staff and I will do everything we can to make sure there are no multiples in packets.

Shifts are 4.5-5.5 hours; minimum of 2 and max of 6.

There will be a crew or volunteer badge, I am sure, to trade for your 4-day badge.

If I can answer anything else for you guys, please let me know!

Thanks and I am looking forward to working with you!

Tracy

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect to hear from Anne before June. That e-mail would likely be something along the lines of 'are you still wanting to volunteer'. Candidates will have a one or two week deadline to reply.

Anne waits as long as possible before final scheduling is done so volunteers can make it to the programming they are interested in.

Reaction score
A couple questions. Was considering volunteering this year after attending my first last year.
What does the crew badge do?
And is OPX the only ones who you volunteer for or do they also use voluteers for other things at the event?

Reaction score
Combatster,

At the last Celebration, the Crew badge was used for volunteers for OPX (autograph hall) and Reed (Celebration show producers). It was traded for a four-day badge and allowed early entry so volunteers could report to work. I recently learned, however, that many volunteers were using the badges for early entry to line up for exclusives. A system is being devised to thwart this activity.

Tracy Kelly
OPX Volunteer Coordinator

Last edited:
Reaction score
Combatster,

At the last Celebration, the Crew badge was used for volunteers for OPX (autograph hall) and Reed (Celebration show producers). It was traded for a four-day badge and allowed early entry so volunteers could report to work. I recently learned, however, that many volunteers were using the badges for early entry to line up for exclusives. A system is being devised to thwart this activity.

Tracy Kelly
OPX Volunteer Coordinator
Most the companys like Gental Giant wouldn't let you line up if you had a crew badge.

Reaction score
A
Most the companys like Gental Giant wouldn't let you line up if you had a crew badge.
Most vendors also had no clue about the VIP early access either, much frustration ensued. There are a few incredibly easy ways to ameliorate this. For starters it's one major part communication and one small part punitive. I certainly would not punish volunteers in any way shape or form. Having been inside early every day myself I saw more failure by crew badges and more success by exhibitor badges as far as getting in lines for exclusives. I think what people never saw or heard about would be more "concerning" than what they saw or think they saw. When it comes to exclusives there will always be issues, successes, failures, blame and scapegoating. Even in a perfect system people will gripe when they don't get what they think they should. Somehow failing in that perfect fair system is still unfair. Honestly I prefer any system Idon'tt have to worry about being in any line for, but that's my own perfect system :). I just don't want to see the many excellent volunteers unfairly painted by what may seem like "many" but in reality is a small minority. Especially OPX volunteers :)

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the exhibitor comment. I heard several people complain that some exhibitors bought limited stuff before the masses entered and then sold it at their own both after raising the price.

Reaction score
That happens at every Celebration. There really is no way to control everyone from doing what they going to do. I've been to every Celebration and its always the same every year. One thing I found is some like Gentle Giant and others did a presale before the con, then pick it later.

Reaction score
I had a crew badge for CV and GG asked me if I wanted any of their exclusives. They where going to let me buy before the show and before the exhibitors/dealers. Although I did see a lot of them with GG stuff marked up.

Reaction score
Must just depend on who the worker is. GG kicked me out of their line 3 times, on different days, and two of those I didn't get in line until after the main doors where open. Personally I couldn't care less these days about most of the exclusives, they arn't worth the hassel. Only thing I wanted there at CV was the jumbo Boba and that was just cause I thought it was neat.

Reaction score
As I am in the process taking over volunteer duties for Anne, I can tell you we have over 500 applicants for C6 Official Pix volunteer positions. We will not even look at these until mid-June. :)

Thanks!
Tracy Kelly

Reaction score
Has anyone signed up to work for reed,it says you have to work all 4 days. Think I liked it better last year when it was only 4hrs at a time and you got to pick the days.

Reaction score
I officially took over for Anne Neumann at Dallas Comic Con in May and have been sorting applications for C6.

I will be sending an e-mail in the next week verifying who is still attending/volunteering; things may have changed for some people since they first applied. :grin:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
My now wife and I volunteered at CIV and had a blast! We got to work with a few celebrities. She sat with Mr. Goff (was an ewok) and he told her all sorts of stories - didn't hurt that she isn't a SW fan like me and wasn't bugging him for info. Then, we sat with Kenny Baker and his gal pal multiple days - they asked for us the second time! It made our day that they remembered us when they came to KC for a con and our group took them out to dinner one night. All in all, Anne & OPX are AWESOME to work for! You've got some big shoes to fill Tracy, but I'm sure you'll do fine - you're learning from the best.

Oh - I'll be at CVI and plan to volunteer there too....heading over to fill out my application now. :grin:

Reaction score
290 e-mails sent 6/6/12 and 6/7/12 to see who is still available to volunteer so check your inboxes!