Celebration VI Rocket Launch

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
Not many people have had the opportunity to see an actual rocket launch so if you are attending CVI you just might get a chance. On August 23, 2012, NASA’s Radiation Belt Storm Probes (RBSP) are planned to launch aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket. The launch is scheduled during the window of 4:00 – 4:30 a.m. EST. If scrubbed, additional launch opportunities are available each following day around the same time window. If you want to see the launch up close, Kennedy Space Center is open specially for this launch and additional local spots are located around Titusville and the Space Coast. The other option is to watch it from Orlando. It won't be as impressive but is still a cool sight to see, just find a clear spot and look east. Eventually a bright light will be seen going straight up. During CV I saw a launch from across the street from the Rosen Centre so I know you can see it if the weather is clear.

Atlas V

Spaceflight Now | Atlas Launch Report | Mission Status Center

Mike

Reaction score
I'm at the space centre the day before, but I'm staying at the Rosen Centre so could possibly the launch from there depending on what floor I'm on and direction of view I have, otherwise I'll be sleeping!!! LOL!

Reaction score
That's really interesting! There was actually a rocket that was launched at the Kennedy Space Center during C5 too.

Reaction score
Saw this got delayed until the next day, Friday 24th.
Nice! I'm not coming in until Thursday, so I might be able to see this. Any idea how this would look from the Rosen Centre? Do they have roof access or some kind of upper level lounge that looks east? I don't know if I want to drive out to the coast, but I'd be willing to set an alarm and stumble out to an observation deck or something.

Last edited:

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
Nice! I'm not coming in until Thursday, so I might be able to see this. Any idea how this would look from the Rosen Centre? Do they have roof access or some kind of upper level lounge that looks east? I don't know if I want to drive out to the coast, but I'd be willing to set an alarm and stumble out to an observation deck or something.
At CV there was a launch I believe Saturday morning. Had been scheduled Thursday but got pushed back. I simply walked outside the Rosen Centre and across the street to the other convention center. Standing in the grass I had a fairly clear view of the east. I kept updating my phone with spaceflight now and saw the rocket had lifted off and I continued watching the east. A few moments later I saw a bright light moving straight up and it was the rocket. Watched it for 2 minutes or so and it disappeared. I then walked back inside the hotel, grabbed breakfast and went back to my room. I think I spent about fifteen minutes total from walking downstairs, watching it and going back to my room. Overall was it impressive? Let's just say it was neat. Having seen a shuttle launch from six miles away was way more exciting but for the time invested in that compared to this it was OK. It was only the second time, after the shuttle, that I had seen a lauch so I was still excited. This one I'm debating renting a car and going to check it out or just staying at the hotel and doing a 345am wake up. I think crowds at the coast will be small so getting out of there after the launch will be easy. I know after a shuttle launch it would take hours to get clear of the coast and over to I-95.

Mike