Celebration VI in August!

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I thought I would start a thread about WI people going to Celebration VI in Orlando this August!
Who is all going?
Any advice for a rookie?
Anyone wanna meet up?

I am going this year for sure. Just got back from Disney. Got the new BIG star speeder...It's pretty awesome. Going down with my wife and son in August but they are staying at the parks. Can I meet up with some people so I am not cruising around by myself. Lemme know...The countdown begins!

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I thought I would start a thread about WI people going to Celebration VI in Orlando this August!
Who is all going?
Any advice for a rookie?
Anyone wanna meet up?

I am going this year for sure. Just got back from Disney. Got the new BIG star speeder...It's pretty awesome. Going down with my wife and son in August but they are staying at the parks. Can I meet up with some people so I am not cruising around by myself. Lemme know...The countdown begins!
I'm going with Tom Wesell and JTKenobi. We'll be volunteering part of the time, but you're welcome to hang with us for some things, depending on our schedules. I'm anxious to hear who the main guests will be, hear about the collector panels, and see a programming schedule, but that's many months away I'm sure...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm going with Tom Wesell and JTKenobi. We'll be volunteering part of the time, but you're welcome to hang with us for some things, depending on our schedules. I'm anxious to hear who the main guests will be, hear about the collector panels, and see a programming schedule, but that's many months away I'm sure...
Excellent! What is the volunteering? Just curious. I am just excited...My first big convention!

Reaction score
Can't wait for August to get here.
Hope to run in to you guys again. It was fun bumping in to you guys at CV.

This will be my 6th Celebration and they keep getting better and better.
Had a blast at the last one and have been looking forward to this one since the last ended.

Since my wife is not a flier by any stretch of the imagination we are driving again, but my son will have his license in April so a 3rd driver will be awesome..

Got me a new DSLR camera specifically for this event and can't wait to use it...

When it gets closer we will have to exchange contact info so we can meet up..

Later
TIEpilot
Greg

Reaction score

Had a blast at the last one and have been looking forward to this one since the last ended.

Since my wife is not a flier by any stretch of the imagination we are driving again, but my son will have his license in April so a 3rd driver will be awesome..

Got me a new DSLR camera specifically for this event and can't wait to use it...

When it gets closer we will have to exchange contact info so we can meet up..

Later
TIEpilot
Greg
Sounds Great Greg! Will be nice running into and talking to some veterans of Celebration!

Reaction score
Excellent! What is the volunteering? Just curious. I am just excited...My first big convention!
Well, there are two kinds. Tom, Swiski, and I have volunteered for Official Pix for the last two celebrations. Not sure what the minimum shifts requirement will be this year, but the shifts are typically 3-4 hours. You get a bunch of signed autographs for your troubles, plus a special convention badge. Sometimes there are other perks, but nothing has been announced yet. This is also volunteering for Reed (the place that runs the convention). With them, you get reimbursed for your convention ticket, but I think they require more hours of volunteering. Terms have not been posted yet.

So there are benefits to volunteering, but you WILL miss time in the con. Seeing as this is your first con, you may not want to take the time to volunteer, so you can soak up the entire experience. There is a LOT to do, and lines will be LONG for some events, so plan your day out wisely. Once the con schedule is posted months from now, I suggest printing it out, and highlighting the things you want to do. All I can say is, you're gonna LOVE it!

Reaction score

Yeah, it was funny how we just happened to get in line with each other. What a coincidence... Have you been to all 6 US Celebrations, or did you miss the first but go to UK or Japan? I've been to all 6 US ones. Rainfest in Denver was fun, but some of the memories are blurry. I lost all of those digital pictures in a hard drive crash, which sucked. They didn't have much programming back then, compared to now. All of the panels were in that one big tent. But Anthony Daniels did his best to make it fun for everyone. He still loves to work the lines. I'm sure you remember he did it again when we were in line at CV. And I'm sure he'll do it again this year (and perhaps even at C2E2)

Reaction score
Yes I have been to all Us Celebrations so far. It would have been neat to go the overseas ones just to see how differently they are run.

Mudfest as we like to refer to it was a mess.
But I can still remember the opening ceremony where they played Duel of the Fates for everyone. I still get chills when I here that music, there was something electric with seeing that with so many other Star Wars fans.....

Who knows we probably talked to each other and did not know it. LOL

My wife was not at CII and my son missed CI and CII.
We are all looking forward to it again this year..
We got a much better hotel this time. It is one of the Rosen hotels, it is connected right to the convention center now via a walkway now I guess...
Can't wait...

TIEpilot
Greg

Reaction score
Yeah, Mudfest is probably a better term. My shoes and jeans were caked in it. It was raining so much (and I had no umbrella, but occasionally shared with others) that the colors in my blue jacket bled through and totally ruined the white Star Wars Celebration t-shirt I had just purchased the day before. I was PISSSED!!!
I remember there was a THX movie room set-up with a demo of some sort, but that's the only thing I never got into. The store sucked back then. They only sold like 20 items. But there were lots of great freebies inside the main tent (Pepsi SW cups, cards, and more). I don't think they had private vendors back then, not that I can recall. Just big exhibitors, like Pepsi and Wizards of the Coast. Just talking about it is bringing some of my memories back...

Yeah, we're in the Rosen Centre, which is the first time we have stayed so close to a Celebration. We're treating ourselves this year, but skipping SDCC to make it more affordable. If they ever do another foreign Celebration, I'm totally going. I came soooo close to going to Japan, but didn't. I really wish I had. I'm ready for the next one, if there ever is a next one. I dunno if Reed has ever done a foreign convention before. Maybe not...
Yes I have been to all Us Celebrations so far. It would have been neat to go the overseas ones just to see how differently they are run.

Mudfest as we like to refer to it was a mess.
But I can still remember the opening ceremony where they played Duel of the Fates for everyone. I still get chills when I here that music, there was something electric with seeing that with so many other Star Wars fans.....

Who knows we probably talked to each other and did not know it. LOL

My wife was not at CII and my son missed CI and CII.
We are all looking forward to it again this year..
We got a much better hotel this time. It is one of the Rosen hotels, it is connected right to the convention center now via a walkway now I guess...
Can't wait...

TIEpilot
Greg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I might volunteer at the official pix. How dosign up for that? Do i sign up at the concention? I wouldn't mind 3-4 hours. Especially for some signed pics! I don't know what I am more excited for. The swap meet part....the autographs....hasbro presentation....preview nights....so much to be excited for! Are you guys going to Disney at all?

Reaction score
I might volunteer at the official pix. How dosign up for that? Do i sign up at the concention? I wouldn't mind 3-4 hours. Especially for some signed pics! I don't know what I am more excited for. The swap meet part....the autographs....hasbro presentation....preview nights....so much to be excited for! Are you guys going to Disney at all?
You really should sign up soon, if you are interested. You aren't committing to anything yet. I think I signed up months ago, but I haven't heard anything concrete yet.
OfficialPix - Officially Licensed STAR WARS Autographs & Photographs

Reaction score
If case it went overlooked in the CHG thread, s_marlinfan is taking orders again for CHG shirts. CVI would be a great place to proudly wear it!

Reaction score
Holy crap!!! Kenny baker is gonna be at celebration! This is huge since he doesn't travel over seas anymore!!! So pumped! Is there a limit to how many things you can get signed? Anyone know?

Reaction score
I shipped about 5 things to him and he signed them for like 15 bucks each item. Was very cool! I just want to meet him!

Reaction score
Holy crap!!! Kenny baker is gonna be at celebration! This is huge since he doesn't travel over seas anymore!!! So pumped! Is there a limit to how many things you can get signed? Anyone know?
They usually do not limit, except for the major stars like Mark Hamill. Ian McDiarmid may have a limit. I'd be surprised if Kenny Baker does, since so many people have him already. But like Tom said, this is his last hurray in the US, so maybe he'll have a zillion people in line. They may raise his price, too. He used to be like $20, but it wouldn't surprise me if they try to get $40 now. Thankfully I do not need him... I'm torn on Ian. I met him, and got his autograph in NY on a theater program (that he was starring in). He wouldn't sign anything SW. Should I fork over the big bucks to get a SW item signed? Or just be satisfied with my signed program? I did get a great picture of myself with him!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well guys...I am officially going to Celebration! Got my ticket today! Have my resort booked in Disney and plane tickets booked! Money is being saved and ready to go....I have a few questions...
First...Is there a swap meet or something of the sorts? I am looking for a Ewok PVC from Spain. Kneesaa to be exact. I am holding out till then to see if I can get one.
Second....What time do you have to get there in the mornings?

Third....I saw they announced the cost of each celebrity. So for let's say $40 to see Kenny Baker, Which is well worth it for me, how many things can they sign? I am taking 4-5 things to try and get signed. Think I will have any luck?

Thanks Guys!

Reaction score
Glad you are going to make it.

Basically there is one large room with lots of vendors pretty much selling everything you can think of Star Wars, some good prices, some not.
40.00 dollars equals 1 autograph, to the best of my knowledge, as I am not a autograph collector myself.

I do not think that they have posted times yet that the convention runs but if you are trying to acquire some of the exclusives you will have to get in line pretty early. 2-3 hours possibly before the doors open.
I can't remember when I was getting in line at previous Celebrations but even though I thought I was getting there early, I was never early enough to get a good spot to get a Gentle Giant Exclusive or hell even the Hallmark ones.
Biggest problem in my opinion is they let the vendors in an hour early to buy what they want and then some might still be inline buying when the general public is let in and then everything backs up.

In my opinion some of the Exclusives are more a pain in the *** than they are worth.

At Celebration III my friends and I, having zero luck getting in to the Celebration store to get stuff because they were so unorganized, we decided to stay outside,in the rain and light snow, overnite inline to get into the store. and all I was really wanting was the CIII Vader figure. 3-4 years ago my father-in-law bought me some SW stuff at a garage sale and that figure was a part of what he bought, and he did not have to go without sleep and get soaked and freeze overnite outside.

I would make a list of what you are looking for and do some research now via ebay and even amazon to see what the going rates may be, that way you know if you are getting a good deal or not....

Hope this helps...

TIEpilot
Greg

Reaction score
R2SG,
TIEpilot is correct. They charge PER autograph, unless you can amazingly sweet-talk someone into doing more, but I wouldn't count on it. There is an Official Pix rep at each table with the stars, collecting tickets, to make sure everyone pays.
As for getting in line? If you want exclusives, you may want to line up 2 hours early. If Lucas does a panel again (probably not this year), you would need to get in line SUPER early, possibly overnight. If you don't care about exclusives, and just want to get in, then you may not want to line up early at all. It's all about priorities... There is so much fun stuff happening at night, that you may not want to get up early to get in line. Otherwise, don't plan on getting too much sleep...
At CIV and CV, some of us volunteered for Official Pix, so we'd get the Volunteer badge and get in early. They aren't allowing that this year. Perhaps other things will change this year as well...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just curious...When is everyone going down to Orlando? I am leaving on the 21st.

Reaction score
My son and I are flying down on Wednesday the 22nd and coming home early Monday morning. We had a blast two years ago and hope to repeat the fun again this year.

Reaction score
My family is driving since my wife is not a good flier. We are leaving on the 18th, and plan on hitting Disney studios I am thinking on Tuesday. otherwise Just relaxing and enjoying the local sites. then we are leaving on Monday the 27th...

Can't Wait

TIEpilot
Greg

Reaction score
Flying down early morning on Wednesday, coming back early on Monday... I kinda wish we had a later flight on Monday, but the early one was the cheapest...

Reaction score
Holy CRAP!
I just read over the schedule for Celebration. I AM OVERWHELMED!!! So much stuff I wanna see! I wanna get to so many stages....Guess I'll get doen what I can...Really want the r2 and r5 star tots pins! Do they have food at the conventions???

Reaction score
They had a food court there last time, and I am sure it will be there again. I usually bring peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with me to keep in my backpack. There really isn't that much down time to stop and eat anything. We are usually waiting in line for a panel, or doing other things.

Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow morning and heading to Disney right away. Hope to meet you guys down there. I am the rookie with conventions so be gentle....

Reaction score
Just got back. Had a GREAT time. So who wants to go to Celebration Europe 2 in Germany with me??? I'm not joking. I wanna go, if I can find a roommate...

Reaction score
I would totally go but Germany is a bit too far for me. I have to save up for Celebration VII in Orlando in 2014! Had a great time at this one...Very overwhelming for a rookie but it was an epic convention!

Reaction score
I would totally go but Germany is a bit too far for me. I have to save up for Celebration VII in Orlando in 2014! Had a great time at this one...Very overwhelming for a rookie but it was an epic convention!
Sorry we never got together with you. It was pretty much non-stop craziness (especially since I worked a LOT of hours for the Collecting Track). I did run into TiePilot there, and we attempted to get together for a panel we both wanted to go to, but neither of us wanted to wait in line (and it was a LONG line). Did you buy a lot of Disney stuff? I apparently missed out on stuff I didn't even know they had, until after I got back (such as the promo trading cards, and pins in Aurebesh). I did do the Carbonite Freeze Me though! Can hardly wait to get it!!! I hope I won't be disappointed...

As for CEII in Germany, I already bought my flight. This will be my first overseas Celebration (been to all 6 in the US). It was a spur of the moment decision, but I had airline miles to use, so it only cost me $129 in taxes. I treated myself to Business Class. Yeah, I had a LOT of miles saved up...

As for CVII, I hope it isn't in Orlando. Still praying for Chicago...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi!
Were you working the collecting track panels? I saw you there then but I didn't know if it was you for sure or not. I went to most of those. I embarrassed myself there by asking a guy if he was in the WI group. Turns out he was from Austin. I was way off. I had a blast and yes bought a tons of build a droids at Disney and the exclusives they had at the Con. Looks like from a survey I just filled out, options are: Vegas, Orlando, Indy, KC, or ....I can't remember. I am hoping for some place closer too but was awesome for the rest of the family cuz they were in Disney when I was at the con.

Reaction score
Hi!
Were you working the collecting track panels? I saw you there then but I didn't know if it was you for sure or not. I went to most of those. I embarrassed myself there by asking a guy if he was in the WI group. Turns out he was from Austin. I was way off. I had a blast and yes bought a tons of build a droids at Disney and the exclusives they had at the Con. Looks like from a survey I just filled out, options are: Vegas, Orlando, Indy, KC, or ....I can't remember. I am hoping for some place closer too but was awesome for the rest of the family cuz they were in Disney when I was at the con.
Yep, I was working the Collecting Track, so it was probably me. I worked 8 panels, plus the end-of-show giveaway. I never even saw the Disney BAD area. I bought some things from the Disney booth, and did the Carbon Freeze Me. No idea where the BAD was, or where they were giving away the promo cards. I didn't know about those until after I got back, and was kinda mad I missed them...

Reaction score
The BAD's were actually at Disney not at the con. What was the end of show giveaway? And did you get a full set of star tots for working???