Celebration VI General Discussion

Reaction score
Wanna rap about an area/aspect of CVI that doesn't have its own dedicated thread?

Then post away right here!

Reaction score
So my first question is why 2012? I know it was premature but I was anticipating 2013 as the 30th anniversary of ROTJ. I know I am okay that year but next year I already had something in the works.

Anyone else surprised by this timing?

Second question is why after school starts in so many areas? Most of Kansas is back to school a week or 2 weeks before these dates.

Reaction score
Cause the world ends in December 2012.

I'm guessing they picked those dates because it's about the same timing as the last con and that still brought in the masses despite short notice.

Reaction score
What I heard is that Reed got LFL to sign a 5 year deal. So the way I see it, is last year, next year, and 2014. Just a guess on the last date though.

Reaction score
2013 would have made a lot more sense to me, being Jedi's 30th. I'm excited about this as much as any other Celebration, but it seems to be missing a "theme", if you know what I mean. I think it will be hard to top C5 as far as Empire's anniversary, the Blu-Ray announcement, Main Event, etc..

Reaction score
What doesn't make sense (for the 2nd year in a row) is having this supposedly "for everyone" show to take place a week AFTER school has already started in many areas (like mine).

Thanks Reed.

Reaction score
The_Chosen_1 said:
2013 would have made a lot more sense to me, being Jedi's 30th. I'm excited about this as much as any other Celebration, but it seems to be missing a "theme", if you know what I mean. I think it will be hard to top C5 as far as Empire's anniversary, the Blu-Ray announcement, Main Event, etc..
Isn"t 2002 when AOTC hitted big screens ? If so it will be its 10 years, might be the "theme"..

Reaction score
French_Sidious said:
The_Chosen_1 said:
Isn"t 2002 when AOTC hitted big screens ? If so it will be its 10 years, might be the "theme"..
Or just simply 35 years of SW.

Reaction score
tk421_1_2 said:
What doesn't make sense (for the 2nd year in a row) is having this supposedly "for everyone" show to take place a week AFTER school has already started in many areas (like mine).

Thanks Reed.
It's a little odd, but most of the celebration takes place after school Friday at through the weekend.....for locals at least. If I were still in school, I would just take off that Friday at get down to Orlando!

Reaction score
I think that by doing this in 2012 just shows that they are no longer concerned with trying to line up a Celebration with any kind of anniversary.

The first three were to celebrate the prequel releases. I'm betting they never originally planned to keep them going after that, but the fan interest made it possible.

I honestly think it was just coincidence that these have lined up with any anniversaries. I think it just took three years to plan these before because they were always going to a different location. That means new convention center, new hotels, etc.

By going back to O'Lando, that work is already done so they can probably crank them out quicker.

Reaction score
Yeah, I think they are just going to capitalize on success and the fact that people want to go to these celebrations. They will probably have one in 2O13 as well.

Reaction score
SirTristram said:
They will probably have one in 2O13 as well.
That would be pushing it. Every two years is already pushing it for many people.

Reaction score
SirTristram said:
It's a little odd, but most of the celebration takes place after school Friday at through the weekend.....for locals at least. If I were still in school, I would just take off that Friday at get down to Orlando!
Hours on the website say 10am to 7pm or whatever on Friday. Easy for you folks on the East Coast to "get down to Orlando" - it's a one or 2 hr. flight. The rest of us is a 6 or 7 hour flight with a stop in between and $500 to 600 airfare.

Reaction score
tk421_1_2 said:
SirTristram said:
Hours on the website say 10am to 7pm or whatever on Friday. Easy for you folks on the East Coast to "get down to Orlando" - it's a one or 2 hr. flight. The rest of us is a 6 or 7 hour flight with a stop in between and $500 to 600 airfare.
So, take of school for the end of the week. That was your annoyance earlier, not the price.
I flew to London for CE, so I know full well about flight costs and travel time.

Reaction score
SirTristram said:
tk421_1_2 said:
SirTristram said:
So, take of school for the end of the week. That was your annoyance earlier, not the price.
I flew to London for CE, so I know full well about flight costs and travel time.
agree, there's loads of folks travelling way more than the next person.

I'll be one of many from the UK.

Are you saying you can't organise something in the next 14 months?

Reaction score
For me, Ive never been to the east coast, so I figure its Star Wars, Disney equals win..But I have two problems, one the wife is a teacher but she has to report a week before school starts (I believe school starts the monday after C VI) and two, convincing the wife to let me spend the dinero's so shortly after con...But the cool thing is she doesn't want/can't go, I will go by myself, but then no Disney.

Reaction score
With 14 months lead time, I'm hoping we get a nice consistent stream of C6 updates from Reed/LFL.

I don't want to have 4-5 updates released in one month, then go 3-4 months with nothing.

Keep us steadily informed throughout the duration of the wait - feast or famine need not apply.

Reaction score
Well said, Justin, and I agree.

Also, with this much lead time there should be NO excuses in how well the convention is planned.

Reaction score
The_Chosen_1 said:
Well said, Justin, and I agree.

Also, with this much lead time there should be NO excuses in how well the convention is planned.
In other words, this better be the BEST Celebration ever!

Reaction score
JustinL said:
With 14 months lead time, I'm hoping we get a nice consistent stream of C6 updates from Reed/LFL.

I don't want to have 4-5 updates released in one month, then go 3-4 months with nothing.

Keep us steadily informed throughout the duration of the wait - feast or famine need not apply.
Totally agree with you. A nice flow of information with a surprise each month. Hoping Billy Dee is @ CVI. Even though I met him @ Wizard World New Orleans I hope he makes it. If Hamill,Fisher and Daniels sign autographs again I might get a cast picture signed by all of them. If they do the photo op like they did @ CV I am definitely doing that.

Reaction score
JustinL said:

I hear ya, but don't expect this to happen. It's just not good marketing for them. Build the buzz, announce a bunch of stuff at once.

Remember, WE are not the ones they have to market this to. We are going to this show now matter what happens or who will be there.
Heck, we're all buying tickets and booking hotels. They need to use the news of who will be there and what events will be happening to convince those on the fence that they should come.
Just sayin'.
So, if you're expecting anything different this time around, be prepared to be disappointed now.

Reaction score
I've got to be honest and say it doesn't really bother me if we get a steady stream of information or not. I have my tickets booked, my flights and hotel, so for the moment I'm good.

I'm not going to be glued to my screen waiting on every bit of information. I've got other things to be getting on with.

As long as everything is in place in the last few weeks leading up to the show I'm happy for Reed to tell us stuff when they are ready.

Reaction score
Ive only been to CV. Is there anything from previous Celebrations that you think would work that wasn't there for CV? What ideas/set ups were great during CV? I remember reading horror stories about the Celebration store of past cons, and then remember seeing no lines whatsoever.

Reaction score
Hail_Lord_Helmet said:
Ive only been to CV. Is there anything from previous Celebrations that you think would work that wasn't there for CV? What ideas/set ups were great during CV? I remember reading horror stories about the Celebration store of past cons, and then remember seeing no lines whatsoever.
The Celebration Store was about 1/2 the size of a football field. Easy to manuver, plenty of stuff, no long lines.

The vendor areas were a little more crowded, but only for places like Hallmark and Gentle Giant that had super limited items.

It never felt like 30,000 people.

Reaction score
Obi_Phantom_Jedi said:
I've got to be honest and say it doesn't really bother me if we get a steady stream of information or not. I have my tickets booked, my flights and hotel, so for the moment I'm good.
I agree. I'm just stoked that there IS another Celebration! I'm going regardless of any other announcements. Any forthcoming announcements are always nice, but for me, it's all about the countdown now! Tickets purchased, hotel booked minutes after it was announced.

Reaction score
Ticket bought now need to get the flight n hotel sorted gonna wait though coming from the UK n booked late last time and was cool who is coming from the UK get in touch!

Reaction score
Darth_Chuck said:
Hail_Lord_Helmet said:
The Celebration Store was about 1/2 the size of a football field. Easy to manuver, plenty of stuff, no long lines.

The vendor areas were a little more crowded, but only for places like Hallmark and Gentle Giant that had super limited items.

The only flaw from the CV store was the pre-orders. If you pre-ordered a shirt or book when you bought your tickets they had you wait in a single separate (and long) line to pick those up. Then you had to go get in the regular line to pay for the rest of the stuff you wanted to buy. Silly. No need for two lines for that. That made it so that pre-ordering not only didn't save you time, but actually took longer.

Reaction score
One of my favorite things to see at CV was the McQuarrie art exhibit. I would love to see something similar at CVI.

Reaction score
Darth_Chuck said:
Hail_Lord_Helmet said:

Yeah, I will say I was surprised when I saw CIV was 35,000 people and CV was 30,000. Something about CV made me think there just wasn't as much there or happening, and while there were 5000 fewer people in attendance I don't think that was it. I really think it might have been the size of the space. The space was HUGE! They could have held like two more conventions and it would have been fine. I really would like to see more activities and panels and such.

Reaction score
I want to second (third.. whatever) the question about August. Star Wars has to appeal to young people to stay alive... but they put it at a time where parents will have to choose to pull their students out of class at the beginning of the year in order to go to this. Anyone else seeing a problem here? I realize that July is SDCC and that there probably isn't a great time for students outside of July, but I'd think this is something that could be looked at.

Reaction score
The 3D Phantom Menace comes out in February 2012 right? Gotta have a viewing of that at CVI.

Reaction score
keknivek said:
The 3D Phantom Menace comes out in February 2012 right? Gotta have a viewing of that at CVI.
I wouldn't count on it - the 3D projectors alone make it a logistical nightmare.

EDIT: I mean a screening at CVI of course, not the release...

Reaction score
JustinL said:
I wonder if any promo art that didn't make the cut for CV will be simply re-purposed for CVI.
Wouldn't surprise me. Doubt we'd ever know that though.

The big question though...do you go with a Prequel character (since Ep I will have been released in 3D by then) or go OT?

Reaction score
MattDoc said:
The big question though...do you go with a Prequel character (since Ep I will have been released in 3D by then) or go OT?
Neither - they use the Death Star colored in orange.

Done.

Reaction score
JustinL said:
MattDoc said:
Neither - they use the Death Star colored in orange.

Done.
Nice. Yeah, they wasted that one away too casually for C5.

Reaction score
MattDoc said:
JustinL said:
I wonder if any promo art that didn't make the cut for CV will be simply re-purposed for CVI.
Wouldn't surprise me. Doubt we'd ever know that though.

They have AOTC wallpaper on the SW Celebration website. Looks like its the prequels this time.