Celebration VI Collecting Track Thread

Reaction score
I sadly wasn't able to attend any collecting panels. Is there any info on if any panels were filmed (i.e. rancho obi-wan, autograph, patches, or original movie props) and if so, when will they be posted on youtube?
All the panels were filmed by Tommy Garvey, resident archivist, moderator for Rebelscum, and the author of this very thread. They will be posted online eventually, but it might take some time to get the files uploaded (since the con just ended, it's very early to say exactly when that will happen). He will post a thread about it when they are up, which he did after CV. I missed a lot of the panels at CV, and enjoyed watching them afterward to catch up on what I missed!

I really enjoyed the panels at CVI!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was definitely happy to score a Jawa tot, which I was able to trade for the one I really wanted- Vader! I traded it rather quick too, I think I only yelled out once lol Love the tot, definitely best piece of swag the whole weekend (just barely passed the gentle giant blaster key chain)

Reaction score
The panels were great and I had definitely felt the love/hate with Star Tots. They were a nice giveaway that allowed for a great deal of exposure to collectibles that people typically wouldn't know anything about, but having to get a panel that I was interested in 30 min early was annoying.

A few comments for the future:

1. Have an advanced collecting track for those of us that know the basics, but arent necessarily experts. Maybe stuff like, the business of autograph collecting; nuiances of vintage cardbacks and offers. I should others could think of better topics.

2. MAKE people with screaming children LEAVE! First off, I have two preschoolers myself and they are not well behaved. They were not at CVI. I do know that some people choose to bring their infants, I don't agree with that choice, but fine its a free country. However, when the same woman attends every panel of the day to get Star Tots and has the same child screaming all day its a big problem (now I am making an little assumption here since I only attended 2 panels on Saturday one in the AM and one PM and the kid was screaming in both, also I overheard another person complain that the woman had been there all day. All that being said, I think its fair to give the person a bathroom path to get their child straight, then if it continues to occur, then ask them to leave.

3. No solution to this one, but I got very aggravated at the rudeness of people running for the door before the panel ended. The only thing I could think of was change the exit door each time, but that may just lead to a riot. :rolleyes:

Again, the panels were, for the most part, outstanding, and everyone involved with putting them on should be commended!

Reaction score
It's a Catch 22.

Without the nicer giveaways, very few people attend the collecting panels. We saw that at C2, where nothing was given away, and at C3, where cards were given away. (I'm not even counting C1, since the collecting track basically consisted of a mic and a little gazebo in the mud.)

So we came up with the giveaways as a way to increase attendance and hopefully get more people interested in collecting. Obviously, it achieved the former goal. Who knows if it achieved the latter, but I think it's reasonable to say that at least some attendees have come away with a new appreciation for Star Wars collecting.

Of course, the problem is that, when you do a good giveaway, many people will attend only to get the goodies. In other words, they won't care about the presentations. That's just inevitable. That's the trade-off.

I'm fairly torn on the issue. In many ways, I enjoyed the old panel format more, as it allowed for a more laid back and collegial atmosphere. But, then, those panels were mostly attended by friends of mine -- people from Rebelscum, etc. Preaching to the choir gets kind of old. It's been really fun the last few times around seeing tons of new faces swarming around the collecting rooms, eager to get into the presentations. The collecting track means something now that it didn't years ago. I think that's mostly a positive thing.

As for the issue of scammers and scalpers and whatnot...my take is that they're just a fact of life. Best to avoid stressing out about them.
I think it's good that a crowded panel might mean people who are only there for the giveaway might become interested in the topic at hand. So if the giveaways are needed to pack the room... that's fine. But I think you should do something about the people that are clearly not interested and proceed to talk on the phone, play games, text, or have rowdy children during the panel. Have a guy with "Security" on his shirt walking around the room and asking those people to either leave or stop whatever it is that's a distraction. It's not fair for the people legitimately interested in the topic (or those that might become interested) to have to deal with the noise and distractions of otheres there just to snag a giveaway.

I also know time is limited and it would be hard - but how about a pre-sign up program whereby people sign up to attend the panels and they are given a badge to attach to their lanyard. This would enable them first access to the room (along with the required early entry for con VIP badge holders). This would insure that people legitimately interested in the panels could get in without having to fight the throngs of those that just want the freebies. Once those folks are seated - open up the doors to the folks in line and fill the room to capacity.

This would also allow people who want to see the panels easier access when they are back-to-back-to-back and you have to fight the crowd to get out (because of the giveaways) and rush off to get back in line for the panel that follows 30-minutes later.

gus

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who made it out to the Collecting Track events (attending panels, visiting the social area, participating in the patch giveaways, attending author signings, going to the Swap Meet, attending meet and greets, and contributing and seeing the displays. Literally thousands of hours of planning goes into the preparation for the Collecting Track, and this year we attempted to massively increase the scale of the Collecting Track to try new things that will later become a staple at future Celebrations. We added the Social Area, displays of collectibles, patch giveaways, awards, a scavenger hunt, a Collecting Track program, daily update programs, meet and greets with websites/clubs, author signings, and expanded media coverage before/during/after the event. Most of these experiments far exceeded our expectations, so expect that most will be back at future Celebrations.

Although I've run the Collecting Track for all past Star Wars Celebrations (1-6, Europe, Japan), I knew that for the ambitious ideas we wanted to launch at C6 that I could not do it alone and would need to have dedicated chairs for most of the areas. I directly led the presentation/panel program, budget and expenses, badges, and room logistics, but I handed off major portions to other folks such as Tony Damata for the volunteers, Chris Georgoulias for giveaways, Todd Chamberlain for displays, Arnie and Marjorie Carvalho for the Social Area, Martin Thurn for publications, Tommy Garvey for media, Duncan Jenkins for awards, and Chris Fawcett for AV. We also had 19 additional volunteers who each put in 16+ hours during Celebration to make sure things ran smoothly. Most of us have demanding day jobs and other things going on. These folks deserve a tremendous amount of credit for putting on this show. The sheer volume of work and creativity that goes into this is mostly behind the scenes, so I want to express my sincere gratitude for all these people who helped me make the Collecting Track a success.

Since we do Celebration on a shoestring, we have continued to have a bunch of sponsors to fund the giveaways. 20 people sponsored the Star Tots, spending about $60,000 of their own money to allow us to give out free, high-quality collectibles. The Star Wars collecting clubs and websites each did a patch set and the costs of producing those are in the thousands of dollars each. Since we were already over budget, I personally funded the awards at the last minute. We also had a number of artist and designers who spent countless hours on our signs, programs, and giveaways. This is truly a fan-run portion of Celebration (many of the greatest parts of Celebration are), and folks at Lucasfilm are pleased with how we've continued to develop the Collecting Track.

Believe it or not, we've already started working on the Celebration Europe II Collecting Track. We have a bunch of big ideas and got lots of feedback and input from people throughout Celebration. If there's anything new you'd like to see at Collecting Track or have suggestions for making it better, please feel free to contact me.

One more thing... we certainly hear the excitement mixed with frustration about the giveaways (e.g. Star Tots). We will continue doing sponsor-funded giveaways as long as people want them. They create special perks for people attending the collecting events and draw people in who learn more about collecting. We also keep a strict inventory of the Star Tots and after the distribution, the box is sealed to save a bunch for the giveaways of the extras on Sunday afternoon after the panels end. But the giveaways also attract some scalpers who just attend to get the freebie. Why someone would put up with an hour of something they're not interested in for a giveaway is beyond me, but each person is different. Coming up with the rules for the giveaways is tough. In general, the lines seemed orderly and most people who got to panels a little early were able to get in. There were several panels where the line emptied into the room and anyone who showed up just before it started got it. Although there are some annoying people who talked loudly, were distracted playing games, or left early in bulk before the panelists finish, we hope to continue to improve that situation going forward so that people who are interested in the material get to see it and those who only go for the giveaways do not find it worth their time.

The panels have come a long way since Celebration I when we were standing in an open air tent in the mud with an audience of 20 watching us while waiting in line for other nearby events. I'm really excited that we were able to expand the scope at C6 and people are already very enthusiastic about how we'll top this again at CE2.

Gus

Reaction score
Why someone would put up with an hour of something they're not interested in for a giveaway is beyond me, but each person is different.
They're selling for $20-$30 each on eBay. What other activity can you think of where you can make $20-$30 an hour for doing absolutely nothing?

Reaction score
Gus (and others)... I think you should consider selling items like Star Tots to those that are interested and then give the proceeds to charity. People are selling these on ebay, here on RS and other sites for outrageous prices. While that's their perogative to sit through panels or to trade and build an "inventory" it just seems like that misses out on the intent of the items and what you guys with the Collecting Tracks are trying to accomplish.

I'm not saying you should sell every item as I know you want their to be a reward for people who attend the panels. I'm just saying - why not offer a complete set for say $100 prior to the show and make it known there will only be X number of sets sold. Or hold an amount after each panel and then sell them, again for charity, for a low price. People could still sell them - but at least your work (and the donations of your supporters) would do some good in the community with the proceeds going to charity. And at least in that case folks that want to buy them would know the money is going to a good cause and they could actually SAVE money vs. having to buy them from a secondary seller.

Just a thought. I like the giveaways and I applaud you guys for doing them - I just hate to see people jamming into a panel for no reason other than they want the item. I think that's a bit of a disservice to the panelists and those in attendance to hear/see the topic at hand. I realize it's part of "the game". It's just the unsavory part. I personally would have bought a set of Tots - and still attended the panels that I did. And of the multiple panels I attended - every one resulted in people being turned away at the door and every seat taken.

Reaction score
Gus (and others)... I think you should consider selling items like Star Tots to those that are interested and then give the proceeds to charity. People are selling these on ebay, here on RS and other sites for outrageous prices. While that's their perogative to sit through panels or to trade and build an "inventory" it just seems like that misses out on the intent of the items and what you guys with the Collecting Tracks are trying to accomplish.

I'm not saying you should sell every item as I know you want their to be a reward for people who attend the panels. I'm just saying - why not offer a complete set for say $100 prior to the show and make it known there will only be X number of sets sold. Or hold an amount after each panel and then sell them, again for charity, for a low price. People could still sell them - but at least your work (and the donations of your supporters) would do some good in the community with the proceeds going to charity. And at least in that case folks that want to buy them would know the money is going to a good cause and they could actually SAVE money vs. having to buy them from a secondary seller.

Just a thought. I like the giveaways and I applaud you guys for doing them - I just hate to see people jamming into a panel for no reason other than they want the item. I think that's a bit of a disservice to the panelists and those in attendance to hear/see the topic at hand. I realize it's part of "the game". It's just the unsavory part. I personally would have bought a set of Tots - and still attended the panels that I did. And of the multiple panels I attended - every one resulted in people being turned away at the door and every seat taken.
If you make it cost money to get them and yet they would still be exclusive, they would then cost even more money to obtain on eBay/secondary markets. A scalper would still buy it and then the floor value of the item would be raised by the price they paid.

Example:
star tot (free) sells for $30-35 = $30-35 profit
typical lego/hallmark ($40) sells for $100 = $60 profit
If a scalper has to invest money and time, then the market will reward them for that initial investment of both money and time.

The Star Tots flippers are only being rewarded for their time.

Said it before, If a collectible is being manufactured, there is no way to control it's acceptance into the market. Buyers always seem to pay a higher 'flip' amount for items that cost both time and money to acquire.

edit: I loved the panels I attended and learned a lot. It has caused me to refine my focus a little and how I display it. I can't wait to see it grow and I thank all those who made it possible. Keep up the amazing work!

Last edited:
Reaction score
But at least the proceeds some people pay would be going to a good cause. How they're doing it now - people pay $25 or more for an item they got for free and they keep all the $$$.

If they sold a limited number - again not all and not even close to all - it would mean some proceeds go to a good cause. Sure people could still sell them - more power to 'em - but some deserving organization would make some cash and if you're one of the folks that can't go to a Celebration you could have a chance to buy a set and know your money is going to a good cause.

Like I said - the "competition" to get the freebie is part of it and I understand that. I'm just suggesting that the guys take advantage of developing very nice items to raise some money for charity while also helping out those that need to buy the items either because they can't go or because they aren't able to attend every panel.

That they might sell a few extras doesn't mean they wouldn't be re-sold (all the floor exclusives prove that).

Last edited:
Reaction score
But at least the proceeds some people pay would be going to a good cause. How they're doing it now - people pay $25 or more for an item they got for free and they keep all the $$$.

If they sold a limited number - again not all and not even close to all - it would mean some proceeds go to a good cause. Sure people could still sell them - more power to 'em - but some deserving organization would make some cash and if you're one of the folks that can't go to a Celebration you could have a chance to buy a set and know your money is going to a good cause.

Like I said - the "competition" to get the freebie is part of it and I understand that. I'm just suggesting that the guys take advantage of developing very nice items to raise some money for charity while also helping out those that need to buy the items either because they can't go or because they aren't able to attend every panel.

That they might sell a few extras doesn't mean they wouldn't be re-sold (all the floor exclusives prove that).
I see what you mean. That makes plenty of sense. I would have gladly paid $10-20 per (for the ones I wanted) if the proceeds went to Make a wish or similar charity (or if the funds were used to buy SW toys for kids in hospitals with serious conditions.)

Reaction score
I think you are missing the point. It's not Gus' (and others') job to regulate the aftermarket value or what people do with their collectible Star Tots (especially in such a capitalist system as America!) Flipping collectibles is apart of collecting. There's a TV show about it (Toy Hunters!) and I saw Jordan around the Collecting Track a few times. I am very thankful that they are free! It attracts people to the panels (for better or worse) and THAT'S GUS' job isn't it? ... to make his portion of the Star Wars Celebration attractive to collectors and grow the portion he's been put in charge of.

Reaction score
I think you are missing the point. It's not Gus' (and others') job to regulate the aftermarket value or what people do with their collectible Star Tots (especially in such a capitalist system as America!) Flipping collectibles is apart of collecting. There's a TV show about it (Toy Hunters!) and I saw Jordan around the Collecting Track a few times. I am very thankful that they are free! It attracts people to the panels (for better or worse) and THAT'S GUS' job isn't it? ... to make his portion of the Star Wars Celebration attractive to collectors and grow the portion he's been put in charge of.
Exactly. I hope they keep finding ways to get new and old fans collecting again (or for the first time!)

Reaction score
Who said anything about Gus trying to regulate the after market? I simply said they should sell some of the items and give the proceeds to charity. If people are willing to pay $25 and up for Star Tots... more power to them. I was saying that they should consider selling them directly - not for profit - but to raise money for a good cause.

I do think they could try and do something proactive to help people legitimately interested in the panels get in/out without too much trouble dealing with people who are there simply for the give aways, i.e. the suggestion about a badge or something that insures them access.

But with regard to people buying/selling the freebies... I am not upset by it in the slightest. My point was if people are willing to buy them - and have to buy or trade if they aren't able to attend - then the guys might consider selling a few themselves and giving the money to a worthy charity.

Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone for all the time and effort they put into the collecting tract of CVI. It was evident the time, planning and dedication that was put into it!

I thought the Star Tots was an awesome idea and would have loved to have gotten more of them (I made it to two sessions)..........My 9 year old son fell in love with them the minute I showed them to him before we left and he loves the couple he got.

I too would LOVE to see a sale of these sets for charity (and or to defray the costs of those putting on the tract. I would love to have a set of these (and would love to see and Empire and Jedi set of them produced in the future as well......).............

I can't afford to purchase a set of the Tots as much as I would like to, so I will be happy with the couple I have, but if sets were available for order I would gladly have chipped in $100 for a set for myself............

Regardless of how things turn out and all of the pros and cons to the discussions that have occurred here, THANKS AGAIN FOR A GREAT EVENT AND THE OPPORTUNITY TO ADD SOME REALLY COOL ITEMS TO MY COLLECTION!

Tommy_Garvey

Reaction score
All the panels were filmed by Tommy Garvey, resident archivist, moderator for Rebelscum, and the author of this very thread. They will be posted online eventually, but it might take some time to get the files uploaded (since the con just ended, it's very early to say exactly when that will happen). He will post a thread about it when they are up, which he did after CV. I missed a lot of the panels at CV, and enjoyed watching them afterward to catch up on what I missed!

I really enjoyed the panels at CVI!
Yeah, I filmed most of them. Sadly I missed a couple due to technical issues, but I got the others. Like Bruce said, I'll be posting them in the near future, and I'll start a thread to announce it.

Tommy

Reaction score
I agree with many of the thoughts posted and for the most part loved every panel I attended and learned quite a bit. I would suggest selling a "VIP Collector Track Pass". This would include priority seating so you don't have to mess with the people who aren't paying attention and a full set of the giveaways. I would pay for that in a heartbeat and that extra cash could be used to defer costs.

Reaction score
I too would LOVE to see a sale of these sets for charity (and or to defray the costs of those putting on the tract. I would love to have a set of these (and would love to see and Empire and Jedi set of them produced in the future as well......).............

I can't afford to purchase a set of the Tots as much as I would like to, so I will be happy with the couple I have, but if sets were available for order I would gladly have chipped in $100 for a set for myself............
I love this idea. I would happily pick up a set of these for a reasonable fee, especially if a charitable donation were involved. As it is, I came away with 8 Tots, but at secondary market prices, I dont Think I'll ever complete my set. And that's a shame. I like collecting, and I enjoyed the panels I attended, but that's not all I wanted to do at Celebration, so attending every collectors panel wasnt an option for me. I do sincerely appreciate the effort the good people who brought us these made. I hope maybe discussions are on the table on how to make completing a set easier for whatever next time's giveaway may be.

Reaction score
I have an extra Stormtrooper tot I would like to trade for another or sell for $17.50 shipped (that's what I paid for him as he came in a batch of 4). PM if interested, please.

Traded for a Gonk. Thanks to all that inquired!

Last edited: