Celebration VI Art

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As with every Celebration, we can expect to see all new Star Wars art! Which artist(s) do you want to see at Celebration VI?

Reaction score
Leah Mangue
Cat Staggs
Spencer Brinkerhorf III
Denise Vasquez
Randy Martinez
Jerry Vanderselt
Chris Trevas
Chris Henderson

Reaction score
I just want to see ACME have a better system for getting through checkout!

That being said, the show absolutely "MUST" have Chris Trevas, Jerry Vanderstelt, Brian Rood, Russell Walks, Cat Staggs, Jason Palmer and Malcolm Tween.

Reaction score
CV was the WORST way to handle the check out.....You should just be able to buy them from the artist. That ruined an entire day at the con. I was on line most of the day. If they do it again, they should have 5O registers no two!

Reaction score
SirTristram said:
CV was the WORST way to handle the check out.....You should just be able to buy them from the artist. That ruined an entire day at the con. I was on line most of the day. If they do it again, they should have 5O registers no two!
+1

Reaction score
Not to mention the violation of their credit card contracts of charging a 3% additional fee for credit card payments, oh, I have not forgotten that ACME.

Reaction score
Yup, when you got up to the register, there was a small sign stating that. I called my cc company after to try and get the fee removed, but alas I couldn't win that one.

I did ask the cc company and they did say that it is a violation of their contracts with vendors to charge a fee onto the consumer. Basically, they didn't want to pay their part, and wanted to get the most off each sale.

I spent well over 600 bucs so the fee added up, especially when you hadn't factored that in, and didn't count on having to pay with cash to avoid that.

There was a small discussion on the art/acme threads afterward about this. Also, the artists that were outside the acme area, Jason Palmer, Tom Hodges, Matt Busch, Tsuneo Sanda, R. McQ's booth did not have an extra cc fee.

Reaction score
Not sure on that one, my guess is they paid for the area like a dealer at a booth does. They also don't lose the percentage that acme takes on the sales within their area.

Reaction score
I'd really like to see Donato Giancola, he did an amazing piece for Star Wars Galaxies.

Boris Vallejo is another one, he did some pretty cool SW posters in the 80s.

Others that need to be there:
Ralph McQuarrie
Tom Jung
Drew Struzan
Howard Chaykin

Reaction score
Acme was a pain in the a#@. Refused to leave the line after closing until I paid for my Prints and that was an hour and a half past closing. I dont mind getting a slip but they need more than 1 register and they need to eat the credit card fees, its not like they are losing any money

Reaction score
Acme was a pain in the a#@. Refused to leave the line after closing until I paid for my Prints and that was an hour and a half past closing. I dont mind getting a slip but they need more than 1 register and they need to eat the credit card fees, its not like they are losing any money

Reaction score
SolidLiquidFox said:
Hopefully Adam Hughes will show with that Snowbunny Padme after 5 years
Yes, please! My Art Nouveau Slave Leia is looking mighty lonely on the wall.

And I definitely agree Acme's line was horribly mismanaged. Still, I don't understand why some people stood in line for hours upon end. Once I had my slip, I knew my prints were guaranteed, so I ended up paying two days later, and I picked the prints up without any trouble. (I still had to do a forty minute line, which was ridiculous, but at least not crazy ridiculous)

Reaction score
We had a lot of fun chasing Tom Hodges' give-aways every day at CV. I'm a huge theme park junkie, so personally I'd love to see another Star Wars Dream Park rendition from Tom -- that piece (with the attraction poster freebies) was my favorite pick-up.

Reaction score
Jorbex said:
SolidLiquidFox said:

And I definitely agree Acme's line was horribly mismanaged. Still, I don't understand why some people stood in line for hours upon end. Once I had my slip, I knew my prints were guaranteed, so I ended up paying two days later, and I picked the prints up without any trouble. (I still had to do a forty minute line, which was ridiculous, but at least not crazy ridiculous)
No, they were not guaranteed! That was the whole problem. They began telling people that the ticket did not guarantee you a print and once they were sold out, that was it, regardless of whether or not you had a slip from the artist. You got lucky!
That was why we all stood in line for hours and wasted the day...

Reaction score
SirTristram said:
I stood in line for close to FIVE hours on the first day and got more than $1000 worth of prints for myself and a bunch of others who couldn't make it. Absolutely insane. My buddy was about an hour in line behind us and had enough at the 3 hour mark so he got out of line, screamed at the ACME people and got some free stuff including the 1 print he wanted. It was easier to justify myself considering the amount of prints I had but if you only wanted 1 or 2 ya it would be absolutely terrible to be stuck in that line.

It really was too bad for the artists as well because the line snaked through the entire artist hall and no one could get to the artist's booths without bumping into the people in line. I understand that cons are all about waiting but waiting to PAY for something? No matter how nice the prints are they are NOT so nice to make me miss 2-5 hours of con time. IMO ACME should be fired from doing prints for the way they handled CV and I'm sad to say I will not be getting prints there if they do not have an adequate system set up. I'd rather spend extra $ later picking up prints I want then to waste valuable time.

Another thing that ticked me off was never being able to catch Trevas at his booth despite going back several times a day. I finally caught him on the final day and I understand he was doing panels and such but when you have a popular print at least be there enough for people to get the prints they ordered.

Why can't we just pay each artist for the prints we want? It's stupid to go through that whole BS of "you got a ticket but it's not guaranteed until you stand in the 5 hour long line to pay". Having that surcharge on credit cards was a slap in the face too and I haven't had a positive opinion of ACME since. Hopefully Reed listens to the complaints and fixes this as it is a huge part of some people's collections.

Reaction score
Rewbacca said:
We had a lot of fun chasing Tom Hodges' give-aways every day at CV. I'm a huge theme park junkie, so personally I'd love to see another Star Wars Dream Park rendition from Tom -- that piece (with the attraction poster freebies) was my favorite pick-up.
I got into the free posters on Friday and had to score the first one on Sunday when Tom gave out the extras. I also love how I scrambled to get the Hoth poster only to find out when I got home on Sunday night he hid one in the box I had his print in! So I have 2 Hoth mini posters.

Reaction score
Hail_Lord_Helmet said:
Rewbacca said:
I got into the free posters on Friday and had to score the first one on Sunday when Tom gave out the extras. I also love how I scrambled to get the Hoth poster only to find out when I got home on Sunday night he hid one in the box I had his print in! So I have 2 Hoth mini posters.
Awesome! I scored a Hoth last minute by pure luck, just when I thought I'd have to give up on it. It was rolled with the final day's freebie.

Reaction score
I had a Crumb print hidden in the box his theme park print came in, so I gave that to a buddy who is a Crumb collector.

Reaction score
SirTristram said:
Jorbex said:
SolidLiquidFox said:

No, they were not guaranteed! That was the whole problem. They began telling people that the ticket did not guarantee you a print and once they were sold out, that was it, regardless of whether or not you had a slip from the artist. You got lucky!
Luck had nothing to do with it; I asked each artist directly, and they all assured me my prints were safe. I wouldn't have risked it otherwise.

Reaction score
Jorbex said:
SirTristram said:
Jorbex said:
SolidLiquidFox said:

Luck had nothing to do with it; I asked each artist directly, and they all assured me my prints were safe. I wouldn't have risked it otherwise.
That is different that having the straight ticket. You omitted that information in your last post. So, it was a combination of luck and tenacity. You asked the artist. I did that with Cat and a couple of others, but not every artist would play ball like that....so, you will lucky, if you got one from an artist that did not go along with that plan.

Reaction score
SirTristram said:
Jorbex said:
SirTristram said:
Jorbex said:
SolidLiquidFox said:

That is different that having the straight ticket. You omitted that information in your last post. So, it was a combination of luck and tenacity. You asked the artist. I did that with Cat and a couple of others, but not every artist would play ball like that....so, you will lucky, if you got one from an artist that did not go along with that plan.
Fair enough; I was lucky that all the artists I got prints from were willing to hold my prints until the line went down to a reasonable length. Let's hope Acme has learned their lesson this time around.

Reaction score
ACME is a strange brew. I have spoken to people that work for them and they were very nice and very knowledgable, but the way they handled CV was abysmal. Even the artists complained. If so many complaints rolled in and they STILL mishandle it....I guess that's our answer....No one to complain to and they just do not care. Shame. The art is such a powerful piece of the celebrations.
I just think it is wrong that ACME has the sole license to produce art for Star Wars. With the myriad other licensees out there for all other Star Wars merchandise, why create a monopoly on art and give the rights to one company? Doesn't make sense....especially for LFL who are license ******! They give it to anyone who coughs up the money!

Reaction score
SirTristram said:
I just think it is wrong that ACME has the sole license to produce art for Star Wars. With the myriad other licensees out there for all other Star Wars merchandise, why create a monopoly on art and give the rights to one company? Doesn't make sense....especially for LFL who are license ******! They give it to anyone who coughs up the money!
There aren't too many crossovers in licenses that I can think of. Hasbro has action figures, Lego has building toys, GG has busts and statues, Sideshow has life-sized busts, 1:6 and PF, eFX has prop replicas. There are a couple here, Hasbro does the FX sabers, for example, and Sideshow does have PF statues and dios and GG has statues and dios as well. But for the most part, they're all separate.

Acme has high end art but Zazzle also does artwork, not to mention whatever company it is that does retail posters.

In fairness to Acme, on day one there was a lack of plan for the line that caused it to coil up within the artist area. That was solved by queuing up outside the area which it should have been from the start. The register problem only sort of got solved when Acme overnighted a second station in. I seem to recall them talking about that issue during the con but I don't know why they were short on day one; if they thought they only needed one register or one broke or whatever. I think that won't be a problem this time.

But besides that, didn't Acme handle art at CIII and CIV? I don't recall there being that type of issue at CIV, but I also didn't buy any art that year or at CIII. I'm just wondering if they based their choices on previous Celebrations and didn't expect a problem.

I got all the prints at CV that I wanted and didn't spend more than an hour in line to check out. I got my tickets on Thursday and paid on Friday and was able to get the Tween and Trevas prints along with some of the free items that were available.

E...

Reaction score
efranks said:
But besides that, didn't Acme handle art at CIII and CIV? I don't recall there being that type of issue at CIV, but I also didn't buy any art that year or at CIII. I'm just wondering if they based their choices on previous Celebrations and didn't expect a problem.
GenCon handled art at CIV and basically had the same problem with only 2 registers as well. Not as many people were into art back then so the line was only a couple hours long instead of 4 or 5. Still, you gotta figure 250 prints per artist x 50 artists or whatever = 12,500 pieces of art to sell. Whoever was managing ACME for CV was an idiot for thinking 10k+ pieces of art only needed 1 or 2 registers.

efranks said:
I got all the prints at CV that I wanted and didn't spend more than an hour in line to check out. I got my tickets on Thursday and paid on Friday and was able to get the Tween and Trevas prints along with some of the free items that were available.
E...
You also got high numbered prints. Some people don't care about that but it is generally preferred to have lower numbers.

Reaction score
epsilonjedi said:
You also got high numbered prints. Some people don't care about that but it is generally preferred to have lower numbers.
There are only 250 of each, there aren't really any "high" numbers. My Tween print is 95 and the Trevas is 94.

E...

Reaction score
efranks said:
epsilonjedi said:
There are only 250 of each, there aren't really any "high" numbers. My Tween print is 95 and the Trevas is 94.

E...
Agreed. Since all the prints are identical, personally, I couldn't care less about the print number.

Reaction score
I think with CV more people got into the art. I know I wasn't even considering buying a print a few months before and then when they started showing the prints here and there, I picked a couple I def wanted and ended up adding a couple more.

Reaction score
I guess the word is just out that the arts is great and limited and everyone wants some now....At CE, i just strolled on up to the artists and paid them for some art and some they wrote out tickets and I then strolled on up to an empty register and paid. Night and Day as compared to the hellish CV situation.

Reaction score
They need at least 3 registers. They also need a better flow chart to find the barcodes they scanned on the art list. They took your tickets, looked aqt the list, then scanned it, then took your cash or swiped your card. Be nice if they had different barcodes for each piece. You hand it to them, they scan it and then it comes up on the screen and totals out. Might just need to bring a big wad of cash the first day!

Reaction score
Hail_Lord_Helmet said:
They need at least 3 registers. They also need a better flow chart to find the barcodes they scanned on the art list. They took your tickets, looked aqt the list, then scanned it, then took your cash or swiped your card. Be nice if they had different barcodes for each piece. You hand it to them, they scan it and then it comes up on the screen and totals out. Might just need to bring a big wad of cash the first day!
That's a great idea! It'd be very simple to give each artist a sheet of bar codes instead of the blank tickets. And they certainly need to designate an area for the line ahead of time.

Reaction score
Jorbex said:
Hail_Lord_Helmet said:
That's a great idea! It'd be very simple to give each artist a sheet of bar codes instead of the blank tickets. And they certainly need to designate an area for the line ahead of time.
I certainly will be bringing CASH for art now. No more BS credit card fees.

Reaction score
epsilonjedi said:
Jorbex said:
Hail_Lord_Helmet said:
I certainly will be bringing CASH for art now. No more BS credit card fees.
x2 They also need to maybe have a suggestion period for us to send honest good suggestions for CVI.

Reaction score
Hey everyone. No suggestion box is needed. I am reading every word in this thread. Without getting into a blow-by-blow, let me just say we ONCE AGAIN apologize for the issues at CV and are determined to never have a repeat of such problems at any celebration or other convention.

One thing I will add, is that I think it is unfair that people here are saying ACME "does not care". Nothing could be further from the truth. We practically had ulcers over what happened on day one.