Celebration Orlando: Running Stormtrooper

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Celebration Running Stormtrooper needs some help!

About 12 months ago, one of our own forum members, a Running Stormtrooper, became an internet sensation with over 2.1 million hits on ‘Lad Bible’. Here is an article written on StarWars.com which explains what he was up to.

For 2017, this trooper has upped his game and he will once again be running a few Half Marathons and also the London Marathon on April 23rd (world record attempt), however these are just the warm up events as he has decided to take it to the next level! To celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Star Wars and to try and raise the profile of Make-a-Wish, on May the 4th he will be running 40 miles around the park adjacent to the world famous Pinewood studios. The final part of this Ultra-run will see him run through the gates of Pinewood and up to the Lucasfilm buildings.

So, what does this have to do with Celebration?

The Running Stormtrooper will have a part to play in the forthcoming Star Wars Celebration at one of the Fan Tables. You will find him there everyday, sometimes running on a treadmill (a Celebration first). He will be running at least a Half Marathon all 4 days of the show.

There's just one problem... he is flying in from the UK and can’t really bring a treadmill in his carry-on luggage! He needs to borrow one from April 12th-16th. He has already contacted the Orange County Convention Center asking for help and they cannot, but they have forwarded his request on to ReedPOP to see if they can help. He’s concerned that he might run out of time to get something sorted before the show.

Naturally, he'd be happy to give whoever assists some recognition on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook.

This is his Stormtrooper Marathon – Make A Star Wars Wish Facebook page and he has made a quick promotional video explaining what he is doing here.

Are you able to assist? If so, please comment here and let him know.

Reaction score
ill share the page on the 2 largest SWCO FB groups. there are many locals. someone will surely step up. I would think those running the fan table he will be at should be able to secure the logistics quite easily since they are already in the system with reedpop. unless its too late for changes.

i hope this works out. love the story.

Jez

Reaction score
I've been in communication with the Running Stormtrooper. He thanks Chris, EChosen and DarthBaldylox for their help, and really appreciates having this help thread on the forum.
He's actually on his own as this will be a dedicated fan booth for The Running Stormtrooper by all accounts!
He has already emailed South eastern Fitness, 'I rent anything' and the fitlogic guys detailed above, but alas no one has replied.
Hopefully something will turn up. Cheers,

Reaction score
glad to help. surely one of these place, or more to come. will do it for free since it charity. i have a few friends w/in 60mi of orlando and im placing calls to them as well to see if they can find something for free

Reaction score
I called Fit Logic yesterday and the call was just returned, 5am pst..i was already up, just surprised to get a call at 5. The guy i spoke with really didn't seem excited about delivering to OCCC. This is what he said, typically drop off to a hotel for a event $100/day. Thats a quick and easy in/out, but delivery/pickup from OCCC is usually a very long process, it can be super easy if lucky but typically theres a lot of waiting in line both ways. He didn't give an amt but did say cost for this would be pretty substantial and that he wouldn't be able to "help" the cause. But i think for a fee he would,.. anyways I'm up way too early, so ill try to call a couple more places..

Reaction score
i think the "time in/out" will be an issue for anyone. I'm really hoping RP can flex some muscle and step up here for this. last trade show i worked, we had to wait in line for a few hours while the union workers slowly made progress to my items while waiting on the dock. then, going out, same thing. you'd think with a treadmill, with mobile wheels, you could haul in/out quite easily via the front door and forget them all together. Doesn't usually work that way. :(

Jez

Reaction score
Golds Gym (3 miles away from OCCC) and Anytime Fitness (8 miles away) have both been emailed. Fingers crossed.

Jez

Reaction score
B) Thanks so much for trying that for me, but the plan is to hope that a company/gym/hotel will see the charitable side of this and simply make a gesture without looking at an opportunity to profit. If someone were to loan something gratis the they would be rewarded with plenty of social media positivity and good publicity afterwards.
We have Hope, Rebellions are built on hope. Yes the irony of a Stormtrooper quoting that isn't lost on me :grin:

Reaction score
I would think RP or a local Gym would be able to make it happen easily. If it doesn't materialize, would he be open to a donation jar at his table? If so, I'm bringing a few items for trade and give away at SWC, u can see these under the swag section, I can donate 300 magnets. Maybe a donation gets a magnet?
I don't know if that allowed at SWC though. Also for peace of mind, if its getting closer to the date and the situation hasn't changed, msg me, I down to help him with the rental.
Peace

Jez

Reaction score
Thanks dude. I'm still working on it:

southeastfit.com Tuesday 14th Feb - No Reply
irenteverything.com Tuesday 21st Feb - No Reply
The OCCC Tuesday 21st Feb - No Reply
The OCCC Monday 27th Feb - Replied with a no, they then forwarded my request to ReedPOP
FitLogic.florida 3rd March - No Reply
Anytime Fitness Online request 3rd March - No Reply
Fitlogic contacted 4th March - Not really interested. $500 plus delivery :rolleyes:
Gym Source contacted - $350 for a week plus $150 delivery each way! :rolleyes:
Golds Gym Saturday 4th March - No Reply
Golds Gym Tuesday 7th March - Waiting
GymSource Tuesday 7th March - Waiting (not holding out much hope due to previous Gym Source enquiry)
Anytime fitness 7th March - Waiting

Quite frankly I under appreciated how hard it would be to ask a company to borrow an asset for charitable purposes with the promise of public & social media thanks.
I thought people would see it as a good PR opportunity but I guess not, so far anyway.
I'm still hopeful but i've now emailed the organisers explaining my troubles as it would be unfair to keep potentially bad news from them.
Thanks for your help so far peeps!

Reaction score
I reached out to the lady in charge of rentals for Gym Source in regards to supporting this with a donation of treadmill, she said they decline.

Reaction score
I reached out to the lady in charge of rentals for Gym Source in regards to supporting this with a donation of treadmill, she said they decline.
I'm amazed that none of the businesses are jumping on this. What an easy and cheap way to advertise to thousands of people. If I were a gym owner I would jump on this in a second. Have you contacted the local Play it Again Sports franchise? All their stuff is used and they my be interested in the free advertising too. I'd be willing to help load and unload on Wednesday and Sunday if you need a truck as well.

Reaction score
I'm amazed that none of the businesses are jumping on this. What an easy and cheap way to advertise to thousands of people. If I were a gym owner I would jump on this in a second. Have you contacted the local Play it Again Sports franchise? All their stuff is used and they my be interested in the free advertising too. I'd be willing to help load and unload on Wednesday and Sunday if you need a truck as well.
Tried calling Play it again, they said an email had to be directed to the owner group, but that typically something they don't do.

Jez

Reaction score
Thanks once again for everything. I've not heard back from any of them.
Last night i emailed the organisers just to give them a heads up and explain that we are struggling.
I also emailed Make A Wish (Florida chapter) and the USA HQ to see if they had any 'friends'. Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Time to call on all Orlando folks to just borrow one from some neighbors home
Groove790 are u in the Orlando area?
Seems like the easiest way is if a local would lend the treadmill, esp with Groove offering to help with the deliveries.

Jez

Reaction score

That's really kind of you to offer unloading/loading.
No, i'm not familiar with Play it again sports franchises. I'm in the UK so cross atlantic phone calls are a tad difficult. I'll google search them tonight when home from work (currently sneeked onto RS, sssh don't tell) and send them an email.
There must be a way of getting hold of one. I'm even considering buying a cheap one in Walmart and selling it on after the event! For sale 1 x Treadmill, 1 careful owner, only 54.4 miles on the clock

Reaction score
EChosen, no I'm from South Carolina but I'm driving down early Wednesday and driving home Monday so I'll be available to load/unload.

JEZ, I had the same thought two years ago in Anaheim when I was looking for some AV equipment. Buy it and sell it there before I leave. Fortunately I was able to nail down an affordable rental. AV is a little easier to come by though.

Play it again is a used sports equipment franchise here and if you can get ahold of the franchise owner and sell it to him as free marketing for his business he may bite.

Jez

Reaction score
Many thanks. I now have Make A Wish UK talking with Make A Wish USA. I will also look at Play it Again though.

Reaction score
id ask for more local support in your thread. sadly im not in the huge swco group any longer and cant keep that post updated. Ive made 15 calls so far, some duplicate of whats already been posted. no one seems to give 2 ***** about charity and FREEEEEEEEEE advertising. buncha losers imo.

Jez

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm happy to run (excuse the pun) with Make-A-Wish making enquiries now. I really appreciate all of the help, advice and suggestions, but i'm sure the big guns should be able to sort something out.
Regardless of getting a treadmill or not, if you are at Celebration and you see a Stormtrooper running about with non regulation footwear, be sure to say hi B)

Jez

Reaction score
Still trying to get one. Make A Wish USA are struggling, the 501st are trying.
I've now emailed so many people but no one has replied :( Not even the local recruiters office for the USAF. I didn't think it would be this hard to get someone to loan a treadmill. I even emailed Rebel Force Radio to see if they could help, again, i've not had a reply.
Any bright ideas welcome :)
http://www.starwarscelebration.com/en/Exhibitors/2775872/The-Running-Stormtrooper

Reaction score
dont give up, i haven't. ive resulted to calling my friends who "live in" Florida to see if they will just drive one over. few more calls to make this weekend.

Reaction score
Still trying to get one. Make A Wish USA are struggling, the 501st are trying.
I've now emailed so many people but no one has replied :( Not even the local recruiters office for the USAF. I didn't think it would be this hard to get someone to loan a treadmill. I even emailed Rebel Force Radio to see if they could help, again, i've not had a reply.
http://www.starwarscelebration.com/en/Exhibitors/2775872/The-Running-Stormtrooper
I'm just spitballing here so shoot me down if its crazy. What would the chances of a gofundme campaign working? Raise the funds to buy the treadmill then donate the treadmill to make a wish after the con. Throw it out on social media and you might be able to raise enough money in a couple days.

Reaction score
Still trying to get one.
http://www.starwarscelebration.com/en/Exhibitors/2775872/The-Running-Stormtrooper[/

Just my 2 cents but maybe change your frame of mind. The whole offering praise to some1 who supports you is nice and all, but it's not why people help, at least in my book, Secondly great if you wanna give them kudos, but don't tell them "oh this is in it for you". I think your being so determined on some1 donating one first (not that some1 won't) hasn't helped. What's the diff in a go find me campaign vs getting a cheapie from Walmart and putting a donation jar out on your table? I mean you've had offeres from me helping to groove delivering, which I still think is easier to have gym source deliver and put a jar out. It seemed like a good piece of machinery they were renting out to do the 1/2 marathon a day. I don't know the diff bet running that distance on a cheepie vs something nice. , Most importantly I think your forgetting who "the big guns are" it's in individual people, not RP or any corp, Make a wish, or any other group. Just my 2c

Reaction score
ya it think its to the time frame now to just get some donations going, buy one on mon/tues, move it in wed and pull it out sunday night for return or get a local to sell it off after, since you likely are heading back to UK right away. Im flying in sunday before. my evenings on Mon/Tues are open if we need more hands to assist. Wed is busy for me, but can find time to help a move in. my sunday time is bad as im flying home right away, so i couldnt help with move out.

Reaction score
I def cannot help with loading/unloading. Plus its way easier to rent one delivered, ready to go, 0 set up. Have you tried contacting the connecting Rosen Center and Hilton(or hyatt, not sure which it is) about a treadmill loan?.

Jez

Reaction score
All really good and helpful positive suggestions, thank you.
I'm sure something will work out. There is still time. Exploring a multitude of options.
I still have hope. Thanks again RS. :)

Reaction score
Good luck with it. I'm just left alittle confused, but no sweat at all...... so people can help by sponsoring your running, but to procure a treadmill is different....? Okay;)

Jez

Reaction score
Good luck with it. I'm just left alittle confused, but no sweat at all...... so people can help by sponsoring your running, but to procure a treadmill is different....? Okay;)
Not really sure about the confusion.
I'm still exploring options. Waiting to hear back from some of the connecting hotels now as well as the Florida state Police, 501st and Make a Wish.
I still have hope, I'm not giving up, that's entirely not my style.
The ideas of Go fund Me etc are all great, the procuring one is something I'll look at a bit closer to the time if need be.

Reaction score
Oh my bad, I thought that's what this was all for was to produce a treadmill for u.

Reaction score
But it's your gig, do as u want. I'm sure something will turn up.

Jez

Reaction score
Yes you've been really helpful which I've said all along. Every company or suggestion you've raised I've worked on. I appreciate it.

Reaction score
i dont get the confusion either. Many of us having been calling, reaching out and such to get a treadmill. Jez has never been unthankful or negative about any ideas. I think he would just rather not have to pay for one. Gym Source, sadly, has been the best bet. At nearly 750$ is it worth it to go that route? seems high to me. Buying own is super easy, but how does someone from UK make a quick and easy sale before leaving town? someone else would have to take ownership of it thats local.

I like the idea of a nearby hotel. give them 2-300$ for the week. see what they say.

We have access to 2 pickup trucks Grove and my homeboy Stefan. Just need someone to step up and offer the device. I'm sad to say my FL contacts are not coming through either. one of them even has one in her home........"i cant be without it for a week. its only way i escape my kids" WOW! :(

Reaction score
Just to clear the air, never said any1 is unappreciative and such. All I mean about me being abit confused, which I was being sarcastic about is, that donations can be made to sponser running x amount of miles and such for charity, but not for helping to get a treadmill? One way or another some1 or ones will enevitably pay if not in $ then in time, and efforts. You could be saving yourself a headache to by not getting a loaner. What if the treadmill were to break on a older probably neglected on maintenance treadmill, then what? Anyways best to u...

Reaction score
hard to discern sarcasm in print form :p I may have missed where he said he wouldn't take donations for buying a treadmill, all my chats with him seems like hes doing anything and everything, but just not to the point where buying is the only option.

Just to clear the air, never said any1 is unappreciative and such. All I mean about me being abit confused, which I was being sarcastic about is, that donations can be made to sponser running x amount of miles and such for charity, but not for helping to get a treadmill? One way or another some1 or ones will enevitably pay if not in $ then in time, and efforts. You could be saving yourself a headache to by not getting a loaner. What if the treadmill were to break on a older probably neglected on maintenance treadmill, then what? Anyways best to u...

Reaction score
Jez - i have secured you a free treadmill :D All thats needed now is some muscle and the trucks. Its just north of Orlando in a suburb. Member of my swag crew is stepping up for this. I'll hit ya up on FB.

do the volunteers here have FB? lmk, so i can include you in the chat session.