Celebration Orlando: Art

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
With the Celebration Artist Alley being made up of names voted on by a committee, who are you hoping is voted in?

Reaction score
Hoping for Vanderstelt, Trevas, Cook, Proctor, Tween, Staggs, etc. I'm also hoping to see Tom Hodges do something as well. Would love more Dream Park attraction posters. A Dream Park expansion print would be awesome as well!

Reaction score
Hoping for Vanderstelt, Trevas, Cook, Proctor, Tween, Staggs, etc. I'm also hoping to see Tom Hodges do something as well. Would love more Dream Park attraction posters. A Dream Park expansion print would be awesome as well!
I'm in agreement with Trevas and Tween. I really liked Tween's Celebration London print.

Reaction score
A schedule is up on the Celebration Website:

• Now: Submissions of interest begin. Send to CelebrationArtShow@lucasfilm.com
  • Oct. 11, 2016: Submissions of interest close.
  • Oct. 25, 2016: Lucasfilm will notify artists whether or not they can submit a concept.
  • Dec. 1, 2016: All concepts due to Lucasfilm
  • Dec. 12, 2016: Lucasfilm notifies artists whether or not they have been selected.
  • Feb. 1, 2017: Final art, bios and headshots due
  • April 13, 2017: Celebration Orlando opens!

Reaction score
Believe artists are receiving news if they're concepts were approved for C8. Any artists wanna confirm? I believe Spencer Brinkerhoff's was rejected. =(

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that Spencer and Dorman are a no, and heard Staggs and Gould are out as well

Who exactly is on this committee? I might want a word

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that Spencer and Dorman are a no, and heard Staggs and Gould are out as well

Who exactly is on this committee? I might want a word
Cat Staggs is doing Wonder Woman 77 and Bionic Woman along with a couple of other comics. She may not have even applied due to already being committed to a comic Con that weekend or coming off of one. Her work is pretty wanted in comics at the moment.

Reaction score
A good friend of mine got his acceptance. He will remain nameless for now but I am excited for him :)

Reaction score
a couple artists have posted on the FB group as well. so atleast some news is 'leaking' out. lol

Reaction score
Can't wait to see the art choices. Great to see familiar names as well as fresh faces. Is this a record for the number of artists at a US Celebration? Gonna have to save up some more money.

Reaction score
Antman, the number of artists on this list is not even close to the numbers at CIV & CV. Each of those had artists numbering into the mid to upper 40s.

That being said, there are over 30 artists for CVIII, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Reaction score
Good selection of artists this round. Although the absence if Tsuneo Sanda an Dave Dorman is disappointing. Those two are SW art legends. Their inclusion should be given.

Reaction score
Its doubtful Dorman even submitted, he and his wife have been very publicly vocal about their disdain for larger conventions and how they have changed to their disliking.

Good selection of artists this round. Although the absence if Tsuneo Sanda an Dave Dorman is disappointing. Those two are SW art legends. Their inclusion should be given.

Reaction score
Glad to see Brian Miller made the cut. Picked up a couple pieces of his art last Celebration. Really like his work, especially his Star Wars Recruiting posters.

Reaction score
Art

Its doubtful Dorman even submitted, he and his wife have been very publicly vocal about their disdain for larger conventions and how they have changed to their disliking.
Sadly, he did (and I thought it was brilliant). He posted relative to it. The selection process often leaves me scratching my head. Heard to those selected however.

Reaction score
That's right I remember now. sad

Sadly, he did (and I thought it was brilliant). He posted relative to it. The selection process often leaves me scratching my head. Heard to those selected however.

Reaction score
Just about 2 months away and not even previews of the art? A lot of my favorites were not included this time but it would be nice to see something at this point.

Reaction score
i believe they are still under a display embargo. i talked to Randy Martinez about some custom sketches and tossed in the question about a preview. he pretty much said they couldn't show anything yet.

Reaction score
Reveals have to be soon...

In Anaheim, art was revealed Feb 13th. Celebration Anaheim started April 16th.

For Orlando, it is now March 1 with no reveal. Celebration Orlando starts April 13th.

I wish they would at least give us a date.

Reaction score

For Orlando, it is now March 1 with no reveal. Celebration Orlando starts April 13th.

All will be revealed April 13th! Lol jk. We're all waiting!

Reaction score
They really have no excuse. It is the same company running the convention and art show. I am not too pleased at the lack of info thusfar about the entire convention in general. Why did we fill out surveys last year if they don't care?

Reaction score
I've noticed more information on the celebration is being put out on facebook more than the site itself. So you may want to check there.

Reaction score
everything hits reedpop, starwarsshow or the mains star wars site, then popped over to FB. fans are even faster to post the news before the official swc facebook page lol

as far as art, a few of the artists are posting old stuff to get the hype up. Randy Martinez is super excited. He got his artist proofs back last week and said they are all just awaiting LucasFilm approval to move forward with reveals.

Reaction score

I posted that ^ before but we aren't as behind as I thought.

At CE 2016 art was revealed on 6/15 and the con started 7/15. I'm guessing that is the schedule. A 1 month in advance art release seems likely. If that is the case we still have 9 days.

Have patience.

Reaction score
I posted that ^ before but we aren't as behind as I thought.

At CE 2016 art was revealed on 6/15 and the con started 7/15. I'm guessing that is the schedule. A 1 month in advance art release seems likely. If that is the case we still have 9 days.

Have patience.
Still behind the last American Celebration. Seems like they push it later and later every year. It's annoying because it's impossible to plan/budget funds only a month out.

Reaction score
For those that don't frequent the ACME threads, a forum member asked on FB when preorders will go up for the Art. Answer was April 3rd

Jez

Reaction score
So what's the main vibe, Original Trilogy (primarily A New Hope) to coincide with the 40th, or maybe a few cheeky Rogue One/Last Jedi pieces?
I thought the array of artwork at London was very good, and i liked the open plan way in which the art was displayed. Some previous Celebrations have unfortunately afforded the Art area a claustrophobic feel. I think the artwork is a growing area as Star Wars continues to become cooler each year, therefore people are more likely to display artwork at home.
I'm keen to see Malcolm Tween's submission, much like a book fan waits for his favourite author to drop another book!

Reaction score
Hard to say. Whenever I hear there is a 'theme' for artists to go off of, the finals always seem to be a variety of Star Wars and their styles.

Jez

Reaction score
Agreed, variety is the Spice of Kessel!
I think there will be a well balanced mixture of films, series, and styles.
Looking forward to it.