Celebration Japan

Reaction score
So ehem looks like Lucasfilm is going ahead withoout Gencon by announcing Celebration Japan! Yah! So hopefully We'll get our next one announced pretty soon. I wish that I could go to Japan but nevertheless its still cool.

Reaction score
Wow! Well, I've always wanted to go to Tokyo, Japan.
A real shame I can't afford a Star Wars Celebration at the moment, let alone one in Japan.

Reaction score
Celebration Japan? Wow, that's great...if you're Japanese

Seriously, Japan deserves a Celebration. However, they better hadn't get any really good autograph signers, 'cause even if Wattographs or Official Pix had send-in opportunities, they'd most likely be prohibitively expensive for those of us who cannot travel to Japan.

Okay now then. Bring on the USA East Coast Celebration already.

Reaction score
I am surprised that they announced it with only 5 months till the show?? Is it really in 2008? That not really enough time to plan an international trip....

Reaction score
If I didn't already have a vacation booked I would go, not much lead time to plan for this one. I went to Celebarion Europe but had plenty of time to plan. I have always wanted to go to Japan but is seems like they are just throwing this one together. Hopefully someone offers sigs for this one for those of us who can't make it. At least Official Pix is running the signings, I was not happy with how a different company handeled it at Celebartion Europe. Amateur hour at its best. I only had singed things I actually brought with me, their photos were like tissue paper.

Reaction score
Just checked flights to Japan. From New York to Tokyo the cheapest flight is $1,588.00!! Looks like this is one celebration I'll have to miss.

Reaction score
Cperry06 said:
At least Official Pix is running the signings, I was not happy with how a different company handeled it at Celebartion Europe. Amateur hour at its best. I only had singed things I actually brought with me, their photos were like tissue paper.
Gotta agree. Their photos were terrible quality, like a magazine page in thickness.

Reaction score
Phillip need any help working it over there? I will be stationed in Okinawa and plan on coming up that week.

Reaction score
Cperry06 said:
Just checked flights to Japan. From New York to Tokyo the cheapest flight is $1,588.00!! Looks like this is one celebration I'll have to miss.
That's way too much. When I fly home from Japan (via Chicago) I ALWAYS use a Japanese travel agency, I have looked up quotes and found round trips to Tokyo running around $900 for that time of the year.

I get email's from them often, so next time I get an email about airfare deals, I will copy and paste it here so that people can find cheaper tickets than the supposedly lowest prices that orbitz and travelocity supposedly have.

Reaction score
This is surely one of the most exciting news for 2008, since "The Force Unleashed" and the "The Clone Wars" TV series.

Japan is one of my dream destinations of old, but I'm afraid this isn't "it" for me (yet)...

Reaction score
I passed on Europe and LA but Japan is the one place I want to visit most. So will do some research into this.

Reaction score
I don't know if I can take this as a good omen or a bad. I'm already planning to head to Japan this summer to visit my grandparents (yes, I was born and partly raised in Japan), and what do you know, I was planning to go in July! However, since my girlfriend is going with me, with work schedules, we were planning ot utilize the July 4th weekend to extend the stay a little (although knowingly that the plane tickets will be more expensive). So what am I to do? I would really like to go? But I don't want to move it back just b/c I want to go to Celebration! Oh my!!

PS. Watanabe, what agency do you usually use? I've checked out IACE and another one, but their prices weren't on the web yet. I have to call them and find out still. Thanks!

Reaction score
HobNoblet said:
I passed on Europe and LA but Japan is the one place I want to visit most. So will do some research into this.
You should fly out of Chicago most likely, if you talk to JTB or another one of the Japanese travel agencies there, they can probably get you a good deal.

I wish I could offer housing, but none of my relatives live in Tokyo anymore. I would say you guys should group up, Tokyo hotels are pricey, and you probably don't want to sleep in a capsule hotel.

Reaction score
HIS is another travel agency worth checking out.

For $10-$20 more, people will probably be able to avoid the capsule hotels. They are an option, but for slightly extra you can have your own bed, shower, etc.

Though I'm yet to properly look into it, there should be comfortable, moderately priced hotels ten minutes by train in either direction. I think these would be the best places to stay.

Reaction score
Much as I'd like to do another celebration ala Star Wars, this one is out, especially since I'm in the midst of planning a 2 week family holiday to Disney World for next summer... just can't afford to do it all (oh for the days of bachelorhood and excessive disposible income). Ah well, there is always C5 to consider...

Reaction score
Stripes said:
Much as I'd like to do another celebration ala Star Wars, this one is out, especially since I'm in the midst of planning a 2 week family holiday to Disney World for next summer... just can't afford to do it all (oh for the days of bachelorhood and excessive disposible income). Ah well, there is always C5 to consider...
Not to play devil's advocate, but the convention complex happens to be on the same train line as Tokyo Disneyland

Reaction score
watanabe2k said:
HobNoblet said:
You should fly out of Chicago most likely, if you talk to JTB or another one of the Japanese travel agencies there, they can probably get you a good deal.

I wish I could offer housing, but none of my relatives live in Tokyo anymore. I would say you guys should group up, Tokyo hotels are pricey, and you probably don't want to sleep in a capsule hotel.
I also primarily use IACE travel agency, I got a $500 round trip from Chicago to Nagoya once from them, but that was a special deal.

I wish I still had relatives in Tokyo, but my family is from western Japan.

I think IACE will start posting prices once the spring comes.

Reaction score
I'm positive none of my friends are crazy enough to go to Japan for a con, so would be nice if a group of U.S. people could organizze something and go together, would make things easier. And actually would like to stay at a capsule hotel, it's on my list of things to do in Japan, but would probably save it for a future trip.

Reaction score
Devil's advocate aside, the logistics of getting the whole family to Japan in slightly less than 5 months just isn't possible what with passports and all for the kids and then arranging transportation and tickets and so on.... just going to have to wait for C5 (hopefully back in LA again, was a great venue). Maybe if there is enough of a push for 2009 or 2010 for C5 back in LA... I could see 2010 being more likely as it's the 30th for Empire, and I would consider going then... time will tell I suppose, but for me CJ is not gonna happen. I'll just live vicariously through the photos and reports from those lucky enough to be able to attend.

Reaction score
HobNoblet said:
I'm positive none of my friends are crazy enough to go to Japan for a con, so would be nice if a group of U.S. people could organizze something and go together, would make things easier. And actually would like to stay at a capsule hotel, it's on my list of things to do in Japan, but would probably save it for a future trip.
Hob, I totally agree! It would make things much easier for many people! As Americanized as Japan may have become (English everywhere you look, even on train station signs), it won't be the same as having a con here in the US in so many aspects. The more the merrier, right
I'd definitely take part...although I'm still not sure if I'm going yet. BTW, what part of Indy are you at? Just curious!

Reaction score
If I wasn't graduating from law school, becoming a father and taking the bar exam within the next five months, I'd totally go to this. I have always wanted to visit Japan.

Reaction score
in Indianapolis, so pretty sure any flight I'd find would lay over in Chicago. Driving up to Chicago and flying out of that airport would be another option. But really curious about airfares. Sounds like prices vary quite a bit.

Reaction score
Hayabusa said:
HobNoblet said:
Hob, I totally agree! It would make things much easier for many people! As Americanized as Japan may have become (English everywhere you look, even on train station signs),
Yeah, groups are a definite help. After CE a group of us went to Paris and it was much more comforting to have others around I knew and that spoke the same language as myself. We found our way and each of us had our own strengths. Definitely worth the trip, though, and the main reason I'm most likely dropping SDCC and Dragon*Con this year in favor of trying to financially make this work.

Hayabusa said:
it won't be the same as having a con here in the US in so many aspects.
Yes, but in many respects it can be much better. When we go to US Celebrations there are often 100+ vintage guys (from all parts of the world) which is always a blast but at CE we actually had 55 people go out to dinner so even with only about a dozen of us taking the trip over there were a ton of Europeans, guys we never get to see. I'm hoping for the same here with our friends from Japan, Singapore, and even Australia to make the trip.

John

Tommy_Garvey

Reaction score
John_sH said:
Not to play devil's advocate, but the convention complex happens to be on the same train line as Tokyo Disneyland
Tokyo Disneyland.........drooooooool.
Man, Celebrations are great and all, but if I go to this, I am so going to Tokyo Disneyland first. I don't need to see the city. I don't need to shop. Disney will provide me with everything I need to see while in Japan. The idea of two Disney parks that I've never explored is a HUGE draw for me.

If I can come up with any reasonable way of paying for the trip, I'm in. I have no idea how I'd actually get that kind of money though, since I'm unwilling to sell anything in my collection.

Tommy

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I wish I could make this one, but SDCC is looking a little nicer for me this year ;-)

To all those going,

HAVE FUN! Take lots of pictures, and if there's an R2 exclusive, pick one up for me! ;-)

GBH

Reaction score
i went to disney sea in december...ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!! (not that im bragging or anything
) nice location,putting it in chiba.handy to a lot of stuff

Reaction score
for those that are going from the U.S.... how many days are you going? I am sure you could spend a month in Japan and not see it all, but financially thats not realistic for me. I have never been there, and i dont see myself going back anytime in the near future. I am thinking I will go to the show for one day. Is a 3 or 4 day trip worth taking?

Reaction score
If I go, I'll end up going for at least a week. I'll probably only go to the con for a day, maybe 2. But that's mostly b/c I'm visiting my folks. In your case, any number of days would be worth it! But it really depends upon what you absolutely want to see. I don't think there's anyway you can see everything that you should see in even a week (of course that's true about the states too!). Like I said though, it's worth to see even just Tokyo for a day or two!

Reaction score
amdevil said:
for those that are going from the U.S.... how many days are you going? I am sure you could spend a month in Japan and not see it all, but financially thats not realistic for me. I have never been there, and i dont see myself going back anytime in the near future. I am thinking I will go to the show for one day. Is a 3 or 4 day trip worth taking?
If you make it a busy 3 or 4 days I'm sure you'll feel like you've done a lot. A week would probably give you a little more breathing room though.

GBH

Reaction score
yeah,i spent 7 weeks there over xmas and wasnt bored once! its a lot of fun.i agree with John's post above,a week will give you more time to take a few things in around tokyo. if you want to do some sightseeing i'd recommend asakusa,shibuya,akihabara,odaiba(especially at night) and if you go to tokyo central station you can walk to the imperial palace. tokyo tower is cool too,from the viewing floor you get a nice idea of how big the city is.

my other recommendation would be to not be the typical tourist drinking at starbucks and eating mcdonalds,get amongst the local cuisine at the ramen shops,teppanyaki bars,shabu shabu restaurants,okonomiyaki is great. doesnt matter if you cant read it just try it!

Reaction score
GBH said:
my other recommendation would be to not be the typical tourist drinking at starbucks and eating mcdonalds,get amongst the local cuisine at the ramen shops,teppanyaki bars,shabu shabu restaurants,okonomiyaki is great. doesnt matter if you cant read it just try it!
Very well put!!! Couldn't agree more!! (although it always helps to know what you're ordering even if you can't read it!)

Reaction score
I wish they'd release some new info!! I'm anxiously awaiting every day hoping for some news!!!

Reaction score
amdevil said:
Is a 3 or 4 day trip worth taking?
Probably not. Just think about how jet-lagged you'll be for the first few days. And, there is so much stuff to see in Tokyo! I bet you anything, once you are there, you would very quickly regret not staying as many days as you could have!

Reaction score
Hayabusa said:
I wish they'd release some new info!! I'm anxiously awaiting every day hoping for some news!!!
According to his website, Dave Prowse will be there.

Reaction score
Wow . . . this thread died. Probably because it's so wicked expensice to go to JAPAN! That and no new announcements about anything related to this show.

Reaction score
Cperry06 said:
Wow . . . this thread died. Probably because it's so wicked expensice to go to JAPAN! That and no new announcements about anything related to this show.
Hehe, I prefer to say this thread is on hiatus! But yeah, we could really use some new announcements.

Reaction score
I've been thinking the same thing!! I can't believe they haven't announced anything new since their first announcement. You would've thought they'd keep giving us news to keep us interested!

Edit: Scratched!

Reaction score
Hayabusa said:
I've been thinking the same thing!! I can't believe they haven't announced anything new since their first announcement. You would've thought they'd keep giving us news to keep us interested!

Edit: Oh (on a side note), if you guys have not been paying attention, with our "economy crisis" the Dollar has become very weak against the Yen. So right now, it is floating around $1=100Yen (has dipped below). That's both good and bad. (For those currency exchange challenged
) it's bad (if it goes any lower) for when you're exchanging $=>Yen since you won't get as much Yen for your buck! Of course, the good thing is, whatever you buy over there will definitely be cheaper than buying it here! So, it'll be a great way to grow your collection cheaper (besides the fact that it cost you a fortune to get there)!! But that's if it gets any lower than $1=100Yen. Just an FYI!
I'm not sure to have well translated this part of your sentence.

Anyway, I pay in €

Does any of you know if autographes were paid in $ in previous shows in Japan ?

Reaction score
Sorry, didnt' mean to confuse anyone. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. Scratch that post. Wow, I feel dumb