Celebration Europe II: Transportation

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Planes, Trains & Automobiles!

No, not the John Candy film...how are you traveling to the show?

Reaction score
Flying in from Glasgow to Dusseldorf and then train from Dusseldorf to Essen.

Reaction score
I'm taking the Eurostar train from St Pancras International, London to Brussels, Belgium, then another train from there to Essen, Germany! I cannot book my train tickets until 3 months before travel, so the end of April for me! :)

Reaction score
Flying Southampton To Dusseldorf, then train to Essen, then foot to pub...

Reaction score
I'm taking the Eurostar train from St Pancras International, London to Brussels, Belgium, then another train from there to Essen, Germany! I cannot book my train tickets until 3 months before travel, so the end of April for me! :)
Sylvuis - have you had any rough costs for the train tickets? thinking of going via train also.

also anyone travelling from Devon want to join up and travel to Essen together?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm flying into and out of Berlin (spending time with family there). Plan to take the train from Berlin to Essen. Let me know if anyone's in the Berlin area and wants to hang out and / or travel together. Thanks!

Reaction score
I live in Hengelo, Netherlands, which is near the Dutch/German border. Essen is a 130 km. / 90 mile drive. I'm staying for the whole weekend though.

Reaction score
Flying from Birmingham to Dusseldorf early on the first day. Then either train or taxi to Essen. There maybe a shuttle bus put on from Dusseldorf airport to the convention centre as with other conventions / shows. If I find out more I will post.

Reaction score
On the way there, I'm flying from Chicago to Dusseldorf. On the way back, I'm flying to Lisbon, Portugal, spending 21 hours there, then flying to Newark, NJ. So I get a little side-trip to Portugal. I've been to pretty much every country in Europe already except for Portugal, so when the airline offered this itinerary, I jumped at it... If anyone from Chicago and/or Lisbon is going, LMK!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've decided to fly from London to Dusseldorf instead of getting the train : )
just now got to sort out my travel to the air port and renew my passport tomorrow :)

Reaction score
Where you travelling & flying from? I'm going to Heathrow from Southampton, and meeting my buddy there, then on to D/dorf with Lufthansa.

Reaction score
For those who haven't checked it out yet a train from Dusseldorf is 8.90 euros to Essen. It's about 28 miles by taxi which will be pricey.

Reaction score
For those who haven't checked it out yet a train from Dusseldorf is 8.90 euros to Essen. It's about 28 miles by taxi which will be pricey.
Is there a train station at Dusseldorf airport, or do we have to go into town to find one?

Reaction score
As soon as you come out of the airport it is there. DRR is the train company I believe.

VRR not DRR as you can see in the diagram below.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm flying from Sydney - Dusseldorf via , Dallas, Orlando, Miami and London :D

Reaction score
wish i had waited until now to book flights Im flying Manchester to Dusseldorf because I thought I would be working down that way but now I find Im going to be working at home so could have booked from Glasgow! oh well get there in the end! lol

Reaction score
But I bet it's more expensive now? I'm flying from Newcastle costing £107 return booked ages ago.

Jez

Reaction score
3 of us forum members are leaving on the Thursday night from the Oxford/Reading UK area in a new 6 birth campervan. Returning late on Sunday night. If anyone wants to join us please feel free to PM me. The more we have the cheaper the cost. I have 2 potential guys at the moment who are yet to confirm.
This will be an excellent road trip.

Reaction score
Is anyone else traveling from Berlin? If you're interested in coordinating travel, pm me.

Jez

Reaction score
BRACE YOURSELVES!!

OK guys, you've read the hype checked out the website and are really up for Celebration Europe 2 :)
The trouble is some of you are probably turned off by hotel costs, airport costs, transfer fees, taxis, volcanic ash threats etc.
Check out the Jez solution;
I have just got a great deal on my brand new (ok 12 months old) work Camper Van (AKA The Falcon)!!
Cost of Campervan hire is £230 (Thursday pm until 0900am Monday morning) (plus optional £25 charge to reduce the insurance excess from £500 to £250.
Cost (today) for Eurotunnel crossing is £180-£200 return. (we could also go by ferry for less!)
Cost for fuel?? See below.
Benson (where i and the camper van live) to Folkstone is 260 miles (round trip)
Calais to Essen is 500 miles (round trip)
Add 40 miles for incidental journeys.
Total miles is apx 800.
If the Camper Van runs at 25 MPG the cost would be; 800/25 = 32 gallons / 1 x gallon = £6.30 32 x 6.30 = £201.60
If the Camper Van runs at 20 MPG the cost would be 800/20 = 40 gallons / 1 x gallon = £6.30 40 x 6.30 = £252.00
I don't believe that the camper van is that inefficient, so these costs are worst case.
There is also the additional bonus that fuel on the continent is cheaper than in the UK, CASHBACK.

So there we have it;
Camper Van £255
Fuel £250
Euro Tunnel £200
Total cost = £705
Split between 4 of us that would cost just £176
Split between 5 of us that would cost just £141

Much cheaper than flights, hotels and transfers and a lot more fun!! :grin:

This obviously doesn't include the cost of; the 3 day pass £90, food and drink etc
and i have no idea where we will actually camp!

The plan would be to leave on Thursday night and drive back straight after the show in time to make the last crossing on Sunday night.

Grant (Maulster79) and Jason (Mr Palitoy) are already up for this, is anyone else?

This could be an epic adventure? Have you seen Paul? Have you seen Fanboys?
Who's with us??

Meet the Falcon

[/quote]

If anyone wants more info, give me a PM :)

Reaction score
I was thinking FanBoys all the way lol! Sounds like a very fun trip and very cost efficient. I would take you up on if I were going, but alas I can't. Best of luck in your journey.

BRACE YOURSELVES!!

OK guys, you've read the hype checked out the website and are really up for Celebration Europe 2 :)
The trouble is some of you are probably turned off by hotel costs, airport costs, transfer fees, taxis, volcanic ash threats etc.
I have just got a great deal on my brand new (ok 12 months old) work Camper Van (AKA The Falcon)!!
Cost of Campervan hire is £230 (Thursday pm until 0900am Monday morning) (plus optional £25 charge to reduce the insurance excess from £500 to £250.
Cost (today) for Eurotunnel crossing is £180-£200 return. (we could also go by ferry for less!)
Benson (where i and the camper van live) to Folkstone is 260 miles (round trip)
Total miles is apx 800.
If the Camper Van runs at 25 MPG the cost would be; 800/25 = 32 gallons / 1 x gallon = £6.30 32 x 6.30 = £201.60
If the Camper Van runs at 20 MPG the cost would be 800/20 = 40 gallons / 1 x gallon = £6.30 40 x 6.30 = £252.00
I don't believe that the camper van is that inefficient, so these costs are worst case.
There is also the additional bonus that fuel on the continent is cheaper than in the UK, CASHBACK.

So there we have it;
Camper Van £255
Fuel £250
Euro Tunnel £200
Total cost = £705
Split between 4 of us that would cost just £176
Split between 5 of us that would cost just £141

This obviously doesn't include the cost of; the 3 day pass £90, food and drink etc
and i have no idea where we will actually camp!

The plan would be to leave on Thursday night and drive back straight after the show in time to make the last crossing on Sunday night.

Grant (Maulster79) and Jason (Mr Palitoy) are already up for this, is anyone else?

Who's with us??

Meet the Falcon

If anyone wants more info, give me a PM :)[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Hey is a taxi from the airport to Messe Essen cheap? I'm not sure I'm confident enough to navigate the train system so thought I would just take a taxi...

Reaction score
I think you'll be looking around the EUR30 mark. Like most other places though, ask around the taxis and don't go with the first one.

Reaction score
from what I've read so far that the air port has 3 terminals and once you get out of the airport take
the skytrain directly to the Dusseldorf Airport Station.

Then you can get a S-Bahn S1train directly to Essen Central Train Station and takes around 35 minutes

Traffic

Düsseldorf Airport - DUS - Train

Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr - Startseite
The Rebelscum guide is recommending a different train route:
From Düesseldorf International Airport you could take the Subway S11 (directed to Düesseldorf Main Station), switch trains at Derendorf into S6 which would bring you to Essen Main Station.

Is one route better than the other? One train sounds better to me. I'm not sure why they are recommending the two-train route...

Reaction score
Other than switching trains I don't think there is a difference. I suppose it depends on the frequency of the trains.

Reaction score
I am Flying from Chicago. Will be enjoying Italy the week before, then flying to Dusseldorf on Thursday. I will be staying in Dusseldorf during the convention. any advice on traveling daily to the show? anyone from the area advise against it? I see the info on the train. does it run regularly and/or late? daily round trips; good or bad? any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
There is a very good train network in the area with trains running frequently. You willl have no problems.

Reaction score
Just had a response from Messe Essen tourist board. No shuttle service will be put on from Dusseldorf airport to the convention. Looks like its going to be the train or taxi then.

MoH

Reaction score
I think you'll be looking around the EUR30 mark. Like most other places though, ask around the taxis and don't go with the first one.
I fully agree, you can easily pay up to EUR 50,- for the trip via taxi to Essen.

Jez

Reaction score
Bumping this with a great update

BRACE YOURSELVES UPDATE!!

Cost of Campervan hire is £255 (Thursday 1100am until 0900am Monday morning)
Cost of Ferry £88 already booked and paid for, an additional passenger should cost no more than £20 extra.
Benson (where i and the camper van live) to Dover is 260 miles (round trip)
Total miles is apx 800.

We have also now secured car parking/camping in Camp Site 2, which is right by the venue and is costing us just £65

So there we have it;
Camper Van £255
Fuel £250
Ferry £88
Camping £65
Total cost = £658
Split between 4 of us its just £164!
If one of you joins us it would cost just £131 each!
If two of you join us (its a 6 birth) it will cost just £110 each!!
Ok 6 would be cosy, but it'd be a right laugh

The plan is to catch the 1630 ferry on Thursday to arrive at apx midnight on Thursday, and drive back on Sunday in time to make the last crossing on Sunday night 2130hrs.

Grant (Maulster79) and Jason (Mr Palitoy) and Frank (Frunkstar) are already up for this, is anyone else?

Who's with us??

Meet the Falcon

[

If anyone wants more info, give me a PM :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Rebelscum guide is recommending a different train route:
From Düesseldorf International Airport you could take the Subway S11 (directed to Düesseldorf Main Station), switch trains at Derendorf into S6 which would bring you to Essen Main Station.

Is one route better than the other? One train sounds better to me. I'm not sure why they are recommending the two-train route...
I think there is a difference in cost... I recommend downloading the VRR app for train/metro travel routes seems to cover most of Germany!

Reaction score
Yes, usually most places in Europe (except the UK unless they're dodgy!) will agree a fee and not use a meter. It's not uncommon for taxis to have 7 or 8 seaters and to take several people at once who you don't know too. It's usually cheaper that way. Obviously they'll still drop you off where you want to be though!

Edit _ I've just thought. Ask the first taxi driver how much it is to Essen. Then go to the ones further down the line. You will be able to haggle. I got to EuroDisney reduced from 60 Euros to 40 Euros February gonejust by working out a sensible price from the first offer. It'll help you if you inform them that you know the train is only 9 euros!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hmm...if the train's only 9 Euros and a taxi is 50...then surely the best thing to do is buy a train ticket and 41 Euros worth of pilsner....No?