Celebration Europe II: Restaurants

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What do they have to eat in Germany? Got a recommendation for some good food? Post it here!

Reaction score
Anyone got any recommendations for vegan/vegetarian restaurants in Essen?

Reaction score
I lived in Germany for 3 years and I strongly recommend Doner Kebabs. They are a Turkish sandwich made of lamb and awesomeness. They are everywhere, like pizza or hotdogs in the States. To order just say: "Ein Döner bitte."

Reaction score
I will personally be maxing out on jaegerschnitzel and currywurst mit frites und mayo....

None of this helps MindBender though - think you're gonna struggle dude :(. I lived in Dortmund for 8 years and don't remember seeing the word "vegetarian" once. On the plus side, German Pilsner is the bomb and that stuff's 100% veggie-friendly!!!

Reaction score
There's at least one, this I am sure:

Restaurant und Lieferservice für Bio- und Vegetarische Speisen in Essen | Ruhrstadt Essen | Bio - Vegan - Vegetarisch | Delicious - Zeit für gutes Essen | www.delicious-essen.de

But personally, Germany is not veggie friendly. Not at all. Currywurst is a must here, and yeah, beer also. I would recomend Pilsner too, though Essen, if I am not wrong, doesn't have an "original" made beer from there, but if you can find an original Düsseldorf "Schumacher Alt", that should put you up for a good day :twisted:

Reaction score
None of this helps MindBender though - think you're gonna struggle dude :(. I lived in Dortmund for 8 years and don't remember seeing the word "vegetarian" once.
I know, I remember a trip to Cologne where we kinda stumbled into a truckerbar. We asked what was vegetarian on the menu and the owner took a list from his pocket to check the ingredients against. After a long and painful think, and help from both the cook and the drunk truckers at the bar, he finally recommended us the "Eggs, Bacon and Schnitzel with patatoes". He was convinced bacon was vegetarian. And when I say convinced, I mean "sit down and eat your bacon" like my mom would say-convinced. I think we settled for the plate of potatoes, which we ate silently while the whole bar stood looking at us, shaking their heads in disbelief...

On the plus side, German Pilsner is the bomb and that stuff's 100% veggie-friendly!!!
That I remember all too fondly. :)

Reaction score
God im hoping for better than a dodgy doner kebab!! lol
I lived in Germany for 3 years and I strongly recommend Doner Kebabs. They are a Turkish sandwich made of lamb and awesomeness. They are everywhere, like pizza or hotdogs in the States. To order just say: "Ein Döner bitte."