Celebration Europe II - July 26-28, 2013

Reaction score
The last Celebration date in April was CB III in Indy in 2005.

Well at this early stage I can say I won't be taking my kids to the show as they will be in school, most likely, during that time frame.

I think we'll see an alternating East Coast and West Coast thing going on with this show.

I will be going.

Reaction score
I'm on the east coast and had the convenience of Orlando twice, and was hoping for just one more, but it's only fair to the west coast folks to have another one there. With that said, the rapture couldn't keep me away. Looking forward to 2015.

Reaction score
Dang it, and you thought Orlando was expensive, California dreamin is like double the cost. Not a big fan of California....although I do like the 2015 date, more time to save. Depending on if they are doing a Lego display, which I am sure they will....will depict if I drive or not. Dang....that is gonna be a long drive from TN. ARG!!!

Reaction score
Very true on expense. We went to Disneyland in March and the dive hotels all around there and the restaurants are overpriced due to the Disney crowds. We stayed at a motel that was around $200/night and it wasn't even close to the palace I had in Orlando at the Hilton for about $60-$80 less per night.

That said there are a lot of hotels within walking distance and Disney is next door to the convention center. So while very expensive - it will be convenient for folks wanting to walk and take in the parks.

Reaction score
I was looking forward to another Orlando show, but at least there's plenty of time to plan for this one.

Reaction score
Tickets go on sale in less than two weeks. Talk about advance planning.

Reaction score
This is great. I live in Pittsburgh but visit friends in Los Angeles three times a year anyway -- so I'll be there. :)

Reaction score
I hope that VIP badges are up for grabs rather than only available to those who bought them the previous celebrations.

Reaction score
I hope that VIP badges are up for grabs rather than only available to those who bought them the previous celebrations.
I will say that I was able to purchase VIP badges for CV and CVI, and was very happy about getting them. But I agree wholeheartedly that the VIP's from the last convention should not get first dibs on these. It should be on a first come first served basis. Everyone should have the same opportunity to purchase them. With that said, I'm hoping to get these again and the line starts behind me. ;) :whistling:

Reaction score
I will say that I was able to purchase VIP badges for CV and CVI, and was very happy about getting them. But I agree wholeheartedly that the VIP's from the last convention should not get first dibs on these. It should be on a first come first served basis. Everyone should have the same opportunity to purchase them. With that said, I'm hoping to get these again and the line starts behind me. ;) :whistling:
I guess it's all matter of perception because after missing out on a VIP badge to CV because of Reed's misinformation, and then being locked out of getting one for CVI because I didn't have one for CV, I'm kind of hoping the ungodly price I paid for a VIP badge to CEII will get me some sort of preferential treatment for CVII.

Reaction score
I guess it's all matter of perception because after missing out on a VIP badge to CV because of Reed's misinformation, and then being locked out of getting one for CVI because I didn't have one for CV, I'm kind of hoping the ungodly price I paid for a VIP badge to CEII will get me some sort of preferential treatment for CVII.
I can understand your frustration with the CV process which hindered you from a CVI badge opportunity, but this kind of makes my point. If it were open to everyone, you would have had the chance to get one for CVI. As for your CEII, well, it was your choice to spend that much. I wasn't able to go to CEII, but if I had, I couldn't justify spending that much for a VIP badge. As it is, I only go for the Jedi Knight badge as I can't justify the cost for the Jedi Master badge. But that's just me.

Reaction score
The VIP badge was way too pricey for CE2! My wife and I got along just fine with the regular badge. The autograph and panel lines weren't half as bad a CVI. Besides, half of the Celebration experience is meeting fellow fans while waiting in line for stuff. I'd much rather spend that money on autographs or souvenirs. :)

Reaction score
So now that it's over, was Celebration Europe "good" ... did it compare to Celebration V and VI in Orlando?
I haven't seen TONS of info / pictures / hype ...

Reaction score
The Celebration Europe coverage was very light at many of the main sites. I thought Jedi News had the best coverage.

Reaction score
I'm actually working on a article piece about the event as I'm hoping to get it published in a local newspaper, but if you want I can share it here when I've finished writing it? It's more aimed towards those who don't understand Star Wars a lot but know of it, if you know what I mean, so I don't know how interested you would be.

Reaction score
I gotta say I've been to 3 previous Celebrations and yet CEII was a very different and pleasant experience. First of all I was blown away at how small the lines were. When I got there Friday about a half hour before the floor opened there was only about 200 people in line in front. They were much more even tempered and when the doors opened there wasn't as much of a mad crazy dash for stuff. This could be because there wasn't as many exclusives, but even the show store didn't have much of a rush. I think, and this is just my opinion, Europeans are more frugal or money conscious so they didn't buy as much junk.

The main celebration stage was awesomely handled, you could walk in and out when you wanted, and not one show was sold out. So I would go to each panel about 10 minutes after it started and hear the real meat of the interview instead of the goofy warm-up acts. I got to see every main show and it took no effort at all. Warwick Davis was an absolutely awesome emcee, he HAS to do the next one in Anaheim. I cannot state enough how funny and professional he was. His routine of asking 10 quiz questions got each actor to quote their famous lines without feeling forced. He even delt well with Carrie Fisher when she came out with her dog and asked to not talk about Star Wars. Simply put, he was amazing.

There were much less vendors selling stuff, I wasn't looking for merchandise so this had little affect on me. The official-pix area was handled the standard way except there wasn't any curtain between the famous actors so you could just see them sitting there. I kind of felt bad for them with all the people taking pics of them just sitting there. Official-pix had a LOT less merchandise.

The fan area was really cramped. They should have separated the droid area from the fan club area. There was always a bottleneck getting to mintinbox for the cards. There were also a lot less stormtroopers so playing Droid Hunt was harder. The artists area was also very very cramped, its a shame the way they were caged in the back. It was like they were in mini cubicles and the aisle was so tight that if you were talking and looking at one artists work you were blocking the artist across from him and stopping traffic. And they only had one cash register.

The whole center only had 1 ATM but, amazingly, it only broke on the last day. There seemed to be plenty of parking. The longest lines actually seemed to be for the food vendors. They maybe took too long serving up the food and those lines took awhile. Also there weren't enough tables for people. The collectors panels ran really smoothly, which reminds me, there never seemed to be enough air conditioning except for in the collectors panel hall. Maybe Europeans are just more used to sweating than Americans. But I did see a lot of people fanning themselves in the hall.

I was really appreciative of how friendly everyone was. And everyone was willing to take the time to speak English with me. I also really enjoyed the giant Return of the Jedi screening. Everyone yelling "It's a trap" and booing when Christensen showed up as a ghost at the end. In many ways I enjoyed the European Celebration more because it wasn't as intense. There weren't as many lines and I didn't have to arrive at the show as early. I can honestly say I got to see everything I wanted to, and got to buy everything as well. The people at the Hasbro booth looked bored waiting to sell their Boba Fetts.

I wanted to know if the V.I.P. people thought the pass was worth it? I saw the Filoni print they got and was not really impressed with Ahsoka on a wolf, or the wolf CEII shirt. Nothing in the showroom sold out and no stage show was hard to get into. I was still suprised with the number of people in VIP shirts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good review ThrawnLover. I agree with you on almost all points.

I was glad that the lines weren't ridiculously long at ridiculous o'clock in the morning. I don't think it's anything to do with Europeans being frugal etc. or a lack of exclusives. I think it's more to do with Europeans being more reserved and less, I'm not sure what the word I'm looking for here is... sort of passionate I suppose.

There was one guy near the front of the line though that (quite rightly) got very annoyed with queue jumpers, but he got really worked up, then inside when people were queueing to at the Celebration Store he was shouting and stuff at people who didn't move down the line quick enough when the cash register people became available. It was embarassing how worked up he got.

I was very disappointed in a lot of the 'CREW' for Celebration Europe. I can only imagine that:

a) The majority of them were volunteers
b) They had never worked in this sort of environment/in this type of role before
c) They expected that it was all going to be a big party and they didn't think they'd be doing much work

Obviously this doesn't go for all the crew, but in my experience it was the vast majority. They just had no clue what they were doing. They had no idea how to set up lines, most of them only spoke English and would give garbage directions to masses of people in just English. Even English people struggled to know what they wanted from us most of the time so people who don't understand English at all or have it as a second language were lost. Hardly any of the crew knew where anything was or what was going on, they were a shambles.

I also had a disappointing meeting with someone from the RebelScum forums. I said hello to someone who had a forum member name tag on and they just seemed really rude and obviously didn't want to speak to me at all so I wondered why they bothered putting the name tag on in the first place. I won't name them but it was a shame.

Enough of the negatives though as they are vastly outweighed by the positives of the weekend. I met another RebelScum member, Frank of SWAUTOGRAPHS and he was a great guy and it was awesome to finally meet him in person.

As ThrawnLover said before, Warwick Davis was amazing as the Celebration Stage host and was a real highlight of the weekend. If he wasn't so busy with movies I'm sure that he'd have job offers as a chat show host if TV stations saw his Celebration work.

I understand that Celebration Europe 2 was smaller because they had a lot less vendors. I think this was great as it meant it didn't take ages to get from one area to the next, plus I don't like spending a lot of money on tickets to just go into what is basically a big shop. 'Conventions' in the UK are very guilty of this, you pay to get in and there's very little and often ZERO 'entertainment' or 'content', just shops.

I went to loads of the panels/interviews etc. and every one was great. Highlights include Ben Burtt, Doug Chiang and Iain McCaig, and the interviews with Hamill, Fisher, Daniels and McDiarmid.

Does anybody recall how much extra the VIP tickets cost? While I was there I felt they probably would've been worth the money, particularly since they got free food and drink in what seemed to be the only air conditioned room in all of the Messe.

Reaction score
Hi,
I have reviewed CE II on my personal blog, if you care you can have a look below, but my intention was not to write a complete review of everything, I just covered the things that mattered most to me (full coverage was already done by jedinews as mentioned earlier):
Thursday
Friday
Saturday (<- my personal highlight, Dave Filoni buying vintage cardbacks :))
Sunday

As for the question if the VIP ticket was worth it, I think some will think it was worth it, some will think it wasn't worth it. Personally I think it was totally worth it and I would do it again, mainly for these reasons (in no particular order):
1. No need to queue for food/drinks. Food + drinks for free in the VIP lounge, saved a little money, prices at Celebration for food and drinks were mad...
2. The VIP lounge was air conditioned and you had a good view on the Celebration Stage from up there. Even though for most shows on the Celebration Stage everyone could get in and get a seat, you still needed to queue up to get a good seat. Queuing means less time for other stuff and I needed any minute to accomplish everything that I had planned. So it was great to have a place to go at the last minute and still enjoy the show in a good atmosphere with a good view.
3. Early access to the show is also great to save time and for example have a chat with the artists, for example I had a nice chat with Matt Busch and Lin Zy before 10:00 on Friday. Plus I was able to buy exclusives without the need to queue.
4. Meet and Greet with Dave Filoni was awesome. Although it wasn't what most people would call a Meet and Greet, Dave took his time for everyone, so he did not only sign the print, he also remarked it if you asked nicely (he did a Darth Maul for me) and I was able to place the seed for a (what I think would be a great) Star Wars - Rebels sidestory into his mind. ;) I am sure that he was only being nice, but he actually said it was an awesome idea and who knows, we might see it in the future (I really do hope they will make that sidestory). I disliked his print before the Meet and Greet too, but Filoni is an awesome guy and since meeting him the print has grown on me and it will get a special place in the house.
5. Fast passes for autographs - again what I had said twice earlier, queuing takes a lot of time and time is precious during a Celebration. I was able to get the autographs from Hamill, Fisher, Daniels and McDiarmid in less than 15 minutes. Priceless. If you have seen the queues for these guys, you know what I mean. Downside for me though: Even though it was said before that the fast passes will also work for the photo ops, the people from Froggy's/OPX at the photo ops queue didn't know about it. That ruined the photo ops for me, I initially wanted to do photo ops with Hamill and Fisher, so I saved a little money.
6. Without the VIP ticket I wouldn't have been able to sneak into the exhibition hall a day early, this moment was also priceless - had a chance to take pics in the Bacta Tank display for example without other people running around and again without queuing.

I really hope that I will be able to get VIP tickets for CVII. Then again I heard that in the US the VIP tickets are cheaper and you even get more for it. By the way, I had to pay 550 Euro for the VIP ticket, 500 Euro was the initial price, but they added some tax and then charged extra for credit card payment, so in the end it was 550 Euro.

Really looking forward to CVII!!!

Reaction score
Totally concur Maniac - the 500€ seemed steep, but the benefits certainly made up for it. Free food and drink, the only AC'd room in the building, 1st seated for Ep. II 3D screening, great views of the stage and the line jump passes meant i also did The Big Four in less than 15 minutes, which meant i could put in an extra OPix volunteer shift on the Sunday. Also, by Saturday, the site staff were so bored, they just waved us through most doors - accidentally ended up in a press conference, spent 5 minutes talking to some dude from Disney and got to dodge all the queues in & out by using the side doors!

After all that, the goodie bags were pure bonuses and made us feel like the passes were well worth every penny.

Reaction score
It was a great event indeed!The convention was amazing and I will keep it in good memory.

Nonetheless, the Official Pix service was very disappointing and annoying for me. I paid about $ 1000 for autographs and didn´t get a single free picture from Anthony Daniels because I wanted him to sign on my Daniels/Baker picture, which I already got. When I asked the employe for the reasons, I just got the answer: "These are the rules, boy..." o-o :disgusted:

Maybe I m a litte bit´sensitive, but that was a very rude and ungenerous behavior.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know what you are saying. I spent like 950 USD on autographs, when I asked for an unused set of autograph tickets all I got was "*sigh* here we go, *eye rolling*, NO!"
The "Here we go" was directed at her coworker, implying: "See? Told you these morons will come and ask questions like this."

I do understand that rules are rules and that they are not allowed to break them, but no matter if you spent 20 USD or 1000 USD, you should expect a better treatment as customer.

That being said I heard that they might sell sets of unused autograph tickets later and I am looking forward to get one, if the price is not over the top.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maniac, last year after the show they sold unused ticket sets for ~$10. I didn't get a set but a friend did; they were matching numbers and it does make for a great souvenir.

Official Pix service was very disappointing and annoying for me. I paid about $ 1000 for autographs and didn´t get a single free picture from Anthony Daniels because I wanted him to sign on my Daniels/Baker picture, which I already got. When I asked the employe for the reasons, I just got the answer: "These are the rules, boy..." o-o :disgusted:
Do you mean you wanted an unsigned Lithograph from his booth? They had the same rules last year, where if you got your own item signed you could not have a free unsigned litho. Apparently at earlier Celebrations it was a different policy? I remember they were selling unsigned sets of all lithos for a lot of money which had been slashed in price each day.

Reaction score
It was a great event indeed!The convention was amazing and I will keep it in good memory.

Nonetheless, the Official Pix service was very disappointing and annoying for me. I paid about $ 1000 for autographs and didn´t get a single free picture from Anthony Daniels because I wanted him to sign on my Daniels/Baker picture, which I already got. When I asked the employe for the reasons, I just got the answer: "These are the rules, boy..." o-o :disgusted:

Maybe I m a litte bit´sensitive, but that was a very rude and ungenerous behavior.
Really? That's odd, at C6 I had him sign an action figure, and I asked if I could still have a C6 print and Anthony Daniels said "No problem". Not sure why things were different this time around.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
My only complaint with the VIP Pass, is that for the price, I think the first x-number of rows (three? four?) at the Celebration Stage should have been permanently reserved for VIPs. I realize that couldn't be done in all the other presentation rooms because they were much smaller.

The fact that the VIP lounge overlooked the Celebration Stage was a really nice benefit though and while I was annoyed by having to constantly cross the walkway to and from Building 6 to get to and from the lounge, I applaud Reed on their selection of that location for the VIP lounge because of the overview of the stage.

Reaction score
Just now watching the CEII "Words with Warwick" interviews on YouTube...what a great host! I hope he hosts CVII.

Reaction score
Did anyone here order the badge set from the Celebration store, and has yours arrived yet? Not got mine, but wondered how long to wait before contacting someone.

Reaction score
I ordered the set too, got an email yesterday evening, saying that they have shipped my order. So it seems they just started shipping now.

Reaction score
The last two celebrations it took months, many phone calls and emails to get mine. I would suspect the same this time around.

I ordered the set too, got an email yesterday evening, saying that they have shipped my order. So it seems they just started shipping now.

Reaction score
Thanks. I've not received a email yet. I just hope that they didn't lose my paperwork with my name and address on it, as they didn't seem very efficient at the VIP line where I bought mine.

I'll wait another week or so then contact them.

Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
My only complaint with the VIP Pass, is that for the price, I think the first x-number of rows (three? four?) at the Celebration Stage should have been permanently reserved for VIPs.QUOTE]

I sat on the front row for one of the talks and the view was garbage. The people on stage were a little way back and the monitors at the front of the stage blocked all the view, not to mention all the people who kept going right up to the stage to take photographs and the kids that were actually sat on the side of the stage during one of the talks. The seats reserved for VIP holders had the best view in the house.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I sat on the front row for one of the talks and the view was garbage. The people on stage were a little way back and the monitors at the front of the stage blocked all the view, not to mention all the people who kept going right up to the stage to take photographs and the kids that were actually sat on the side of the stage during one of the talks.
Yeah, I can't argue with you there. I only sat in the front row for the Carrie Fisher panel and fortunately I got there early enough to plunk myself down between two monitors for an unobstructed view of the couch. And in that seat I could see Carrie, but I couldn't see Warrick at his desk. So I guess my arguement for permanently reserved VIP seats was based on the seats having unobstructed views, which in Germany, not all of them did.

Reaction score
Did anyone here order the badge set from the Celebration store, and has yours arrived yet? Not got mine, but wondered how long to wait before contacting someone.
Got mine today . Badges arrived in a ziploc bag inside a padded envelope. Look rather boring actually. It's too bad they didn't commission new art.

Reaction score
Late to the party, but I've been away from Rebelscum for a while. Anyway, I can only concur with what ThrawnLover said about CE2. Since he was my room mate that weekend, that's pretty much a given :)

I had a great time and it was great to have TL around. Awesome guy to hang around with and being a Celebration Veteran, he taught me a thing or two about conventions as well.

For a European and to be more to the point, a Dutchman, I spent quite a bit of money that weekend. I also took a a lot of pictures. I'll provide the link to my Flickr set later on, as well as a nice little video I made using the Magisto app.

Even got a tattoo on Sunday, which meant I couldn't see or do anything at the convention for a good three hours :D