Celebration Europe II: Hotels

Reaction score
Looking forward to another Celebration! I've been to all 6 US celebrations, but this will be my first overseas...

Has anyone figured out the hotel info yet? I'm trying to see where the hotels relate to the convention center, but the hotel maps don't appear to show it, and I don't see the distance anywhere...

EDIT: I think they refer to the convention center as "fair grounds". I just booked my room. I didn't see it ask for a credit card anywhere, so I hope I didn't screw it up...

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are a couple hotels nearby, but to rich for my cup.

From the hotels offered by the CE, the nearest are Hotel Jung and Hotel Bredeney (I selected this one), at nearly the same distance.

Reaction score
FYI - there appears to be a hotel right next to (or 100 yards from) Messe Essen that doesn't appear on the list of official hotels. It's called the Atlantic Congress Hotel Essen and I found it when I did a search on Hotels.com. It's rather pricey at roughly $240/181ε per night, but it appears to be a four star hotel and one of the few within about a mile of Messe Essen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I knew about that, but I am not willing to pay 180€ per night to be near the Messe, it's outrageous and I am sure it's due to Celebration.

Reaction score
We're booked into the Ibis at the train station. Means having to get the train each day but we're staying there for longer than the convention so plan to do a lot of travelling

Reaction score
I've booked the Holiday Inn Express in Essen for 4 nights and only about 10 minutes away from the convention centre by tram/train! :)

Reaction score
Has anyone who booked through the convention block received a CONFIRMATION yet? I received a "Request Number" but the email clearly says "PLEASE NOTE, that is only a INQUIRY NOT A CONFIRMATION." I'm just hoping they don't wait forever, then deny the request, and suddenly there is nothing left nearby to book.

Reaction score
In which hotel did you reserved? If you reserved through their system, you should receive something that has the title in the message "Confirmation of Booking No. ***** for *******). That is sent when you finish the reservation through the system. If not, then it's probably not reserved, you should contact the hotel and ask them.

Reaction score
In which hotel did you reserved? If you reserved through their system, you should receive something that has the title in the message "Confirmation of Booking No. ***** for *******). That is sent when you finish the reservation through the system. If not, then it's probably not reserved, you should contact the hotel and ask them.
Hotel Jung. The email I received after reserving through the convention block clearly says:
Reference: Request No. xxxxxxx

Dear Ms. xxx,

PLEASE NOTE, that is only a INQUIRY NOT A CONFIRMATION.
Thank you for your booking request. It will be processed as quickly
as possible and an offer will be sent to you as soon as possible.

I'm a guy, so the Ms. part isn't right either... I just sent them an email, since i am beginning to get worried. The email came from
touristikzentrale@essen.de

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nop, mine is completely different:

Dear Mr.****,

Thank you for your reservation. We are pleased to confirm as
follows...

So yeah, I will do the same as you, contact them, yes :)

Reaction score
We got a twin room at the Aparthotel Petul City Garden for $240, for all 3 nights! It's on the North of the city, but a short taxi into town for beers and probably only 15 minutes to the venue.

Reaction score
We got a twin room at the Aparthotel Petul City Garden for $240, for all 3 nights! It's on the North of the city, but a short taxi into town for beers and probably only 15 minutes to the venue.
Correction - the Petul Apart Hotel City Premium, for $223, inc. taxes.

Reaction score
After 2+ weeks of trying to get ahold of Essen Marketing GmbH, the City of Essen’s official tourism organization, I finally received a response that my hotel was NOT booked:
"the hotel is fully booked for this time. It was only a request. You have to choose another hotel."

Yet I go to the website, and Hotel Jung is still available, granted for a slightly higher price (69eu vs. 65eu) and arriving on the 25th, not the 24th as I had originally requested. Seeing as NO hotels show availability on the 24th, I submitted another reservation for Hotel Jung, and received almost immediate Booking Confirmation. I'll just find a room in Dusseldorf for the 24th. I plan on exploring the city for a day anyway, so this isn't a problem for me.

But you'd think that they would have contacted me about my booking problem without me having to struggle to contact them, and that they would have told me Hotel Jung is available from the 25-29, instead of saying "You have to choose another hotel." This place kinda sucks. Hopefully I won't have any more issues with them. I fear they will now contact me and say the booking wasn't really confirmed, and cancel me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just booked at the Mercure Hotel Plaza. FYI: A lot of the "cheaper ones" were already showing no double rooms left for the 25th.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll book my room one of these days. It's only a 90 mile / 130 km. drive for me, but I'll be attending all three days. Paying € 200 for 2 nights is cheaper than driving nearly 600 miles. Still looking at single rooms though, since I don't have any real life friends that like cool stuff. Well, there is the one who also went with me to CE 1, but he's on vacation this July ;)

Reaction score
EDIT: I think they refer to the convention center as "fair grounds". I just booked my room. I didn't see it ask for a credit card anywhere, so I hope I didn't screw it up...
LOL! It took me until today to look up the word Messe to figure out that it means 'fair' or in this case Essen Convention Center. :\ At first I thought Messe was a town or part of Essen.

Reaction score
Just booked my room at the ParkHotel in Essen. It's a hotel with 17 rooms and I booked the last one. However, I'm still a bit doubtful whether or not I should cancel this one (which is free of charge) and book a room at the more luxurious Bredeny hotel.

Just wondering, any scummers staying at the ParkHotel as well? :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got a call from Booking.com last week, saying the Parkhotel was full and they had made a mistake by putting up the one last room as available. A mistake on their part, which can happen. They resolved the issue very professionally though. I'm now staying at the Ruhr Hotel. A bit more expensive, but Booking.com will compensate the difference :grin:

Reaction score
I booked direct through Holiday Inn. Booked 4 nights for me and my buddy for £140 each, bargain if you ask me! So staying at the holiday inn, not the express.
Check Expedia, the still have alot of rooms left.
Anyone else driving from the UK?

Reaction score
Booked Hotel An der Gruga. It was not too expensive, and it's the closest hotel to the Messe, aside from the Atlantic Congress Hotel (which costs twice as much). I booked direct.

The Gruga has one single room left for the 25th-29th(4 nights) at €400 incl breakfast.

Last edited:
Reaction score
well I've booked the Hotel Bredeney Essen close to the convention i.e walking distance so it will save money on trains and taxis to and from the event :)

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just recently decided I am attending what is sure to be an awesome convention. I don't have any friends that are coming with, and I'd like to split the costs of a hotel room. So if you are in the same boat as me, and would like a much much cheaper hotel room with a mate. Please give me a message.

A little about me: I'm Male, American, 29yo, and I don't snore. :)

Reaction score
I'm staying at the Hotel Jung, counting down the days!
Same here! I can't wait! This is the first Celebration I'm going to by myself since the first one in Denver. All of my friends are cheap ********! I'm sure I won't have any trouble meeting people to hang around with. I still keep in touch with someone from Celebration 1. He'll be a friend for life... Looking forward to that experience again...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Same here! I can't wait! This is the first Celebration I'm going to by myself since the first one in Denver. All of my friends are cheap ********! I'm sure I won't have any trouble meeting people to hang around with. I still keep in touch with someone from Celebration 1. He'll be a friend for life... Looking forward to that experience again...
Happy to meet up for a beer or something. Planning meeting some folk from The Force.net forums on the Thursday evening as well.

Reaction score
I'm staying at Hotel Korn from the Thursday - Sunday and flying back Sunday evening.

Reaction score
I´m staying at the Bredeney and I´m happy to meet up at the hotel for a beer after the show.

Reaction score
NiklasK - I'm also staying at the Bredeney :)
also someone else I know is staying at the same hotel as us and you may want to add his sig to your collection :)
be good to meet up and have a coffee over breakfast

Reaction score
Happy to meet up for a beer or something. Planning meeting some folk from The Force.net forums on the Thursday evening as well.
Definitely open to meeting up! We're in the same hotel, so perhaps breakfast. Also, the pub crawl sounds like it could be fun... Expensive, but fun! :p

So who else besides me and Elvis are staying at Hotel Jung?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Touchdown at the Bredeney after collecting the pass at "Messen".

Will probably hang out in the hotel bar this evening if anybody want to join me...

NiklasK - I'm also staying at the Bredeney :)
also someone else I know is staying at the same hotel as us and you may want to add his sig to your collection :)
be good to meet up and have a coffee over breakfast

Reaction score
We're at the Bredeney!

Knackered from driving though... So I'll be in bed. If only someone would tell these damn kids on our floor to shut their yapping pie-holes!

Will be at breakfast tomorrow with my custommade "George in Tux" shirt.

Reaction score
We're at the Bredeney!

Knackered from driving though... So I'll be in bed. If only someone would tell these damn kids on our floor to shut their yapping pie-holes!

Will be at breakfast tomorrow with my custommade "George in Tux" shirt.
I'm at the same hotel