Celebration Chicago: Transportation

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You've got O'Hare International Airport & Chicago Midway International Airport depending on where you're flying in from. Discuss your past experiences here to help your fellow fan out as travel plans come together.

Reaction score
Assuming this is run like C2E2 (also Reed Pop), they should be providing shuttles from the hotels to the convention center. They normally use Grey Hound style buses. Main problems I see are:

What time are they going to begin? Most of us like to get there SUPER early to line up.
What time do they end? One time at C2E2, the panel I was in finished but the buses had stopped at that point. Everyone had to get taxis.

Reaction score
Flying into Midway with several others. Most likely UBER will be the choice of transportation going to and from all points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'm driving since Chicago is only 7 hours from me. Staying about a mile from the convention center, so I will be ******* it to and from...if there is not a shuttle service.

Reaction score
one of the social media pages confirmed Shuttles and to watch the transportation section of the website. site was updated today. nothing posted on this topic has changed.

Reaction score
L train looks like the best/cheapest way to get around. $28 for a 7 day pass and it runs from both airports right to McCormick Place. Good for those on site too, quick and easy way to get into the city to see the sights and eat something away from the convention center.

Reaction score
I've heard it isn't a great idea to ride the train with luggage...and that it can take awhile. Maybe you know more than I do? I was recommended to avoid the train other than for day trips away from the con when time isn't as much of a concern.

I know there are people who live in Chicago that are staying in a hotel close to the con to avoid traveling in from the city. There are never enough hours in a day at celebration. I'd hate to have to spend multiple hours a day on the train.
This is just info I have gathered so take it with a grain of salt. I haven't spent much time in Chicago so I'm looking for the answers as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m going solo so I need all the help I can get. I just need two nights stay since I’ll be camping out for Friday and will probably leave Sunday afternoon. Don’t need to go Monday.

Reaction score
I’m going solo so I need all the help I can get. I just need two nights stay since I’ll be camping out for Friday and will probably leave Sunday afternoon. Don’t need to go Monday.
Looks like you won't be able to camp out with this new system that Reed put in place with the badges. They said no camp outs at all this time around.

Reaction score
Is there any parking around there? I'll be driving up from Central Illinois for Friday and then leaving in the evening.

Reaction score
Is there any parking around there? I'll be driving up from Central Illinois for Friday and then leaving in the evening.
Yea you might want to prepay and reserve your parking ahead of time or you may have a hard time finding something close.

Lam

Reaction score
Anyone know if there are shuttles from the Celebration hotels to the convention center? I'm at the Sheraton Grand, which is a couple miles away.

Reaction score
Yea you might want to prepay and reserve your parking ahead of time or you may have a hard time finding something close.
Careful with that reserved parking. I believe on read somewhere, that people at C2E2 had problems with it. They had to wait well over an hour for a spot to open up in some cases.

Reaction score
Careful with that reserved parking. I believe on read somewhere, that people at C2E2 had problems with it. They had to wait well over an hour for a spot to open up in some cases.
They shouldn't be over selling the parking areas if you have reserved and paid ahead , but this is Chicago and anything goes when it comes to money. The greed of it all!!!

Lam

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with shuttles at events like these? How early am I going to need to line up to wait for a shuttle?

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with shuttles at events like these? How early am I going to need to line up to wait for a shuttle?
If you are in a downtown hotel, I would give yourself plenty of time to be one of the first people on the shuttle. Since a good amount of the hotels are grouped together and too far to walk to McCormick Place, I would expect a lot of people. Would an extra hour early be a fair amount of time?

Keep in mind, Chicago still has traffic and street lights, so expect a slower commute to the convention center.

Lam

Reaction score
If you are in a downtown hotel, I would give yourself plenty of time to be one of the first people on the shuttle. Since a good amount of the hotels are grouped together and too far to walk to McCormick Place, I would expect a lot of people. Would an extra hour early be a fair amount of time?

Keep in mind, Chicago still has traffic and street lights, so expect a slower commute to the convention center.
Yikes! An hour. I think my hotel is only 2 miles away! Might by faster just walking, but who knows what the weather will be like there in two weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are always plenty of taxis and Uber/Lyft. If you can afford the extra dollars spent. There are also trains/buses down to convention center area.

Edit: Found this article on the Chicago Tribune website. The Wintrust Arena is hosting NCAA College basketball this weekend. The article points out the public transportation trains and buses and the corresponding stops. Very helpful info.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-cb-ncaa-womens-tournament-wintrust-arena-go-guide-20190326-story.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
The weather here in Chicago here is always up and down, but you have to take the fact the city is right off of the lake so it is actually cooler in the city than in the farther burbs. So it would be wise to bring a sweatshirt or a light coat. The wind will cut right through you when you stand outside.

Reaction score
With the weather changing all the time lately, esp. in the Midwest area, a roll up poncho may be good to get. I picked up one years ago at the first Orlando Cele. I have felt the wind off the lake in Chicago and(in winter) it's so cold it burns! but I'm sure Hoth-like weather will not be in order in April! but be prepared.

Reaction score
Whats the best/cheapest shuttle/transportation from airport (Midway) to Hyatt Regency

Reaction score
I booked parking at McCormick Lot A, here's to hoping they didn't oversell the number of spots.

Reaction score
I booked parking at McCormick Lot A, here's to hoping they didn't oversell the number of spots.
I hope not , but from the 14-16 the Woman's Black expo will also be at the McCormick place. So I can see issues already with parking on those days .

Reaction score
I booked a spot at a nearby garage through SpotHero. Saving us about a $100 and we're staying at McCormick Place. Probably the same garage valet uses.