Celebration Chicago: Restaurants

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Discuss any restaurants you recommend or ask questions about where to eat in and around McCormick Place.

Reaction score
Giordano's Pizza & Portillos. You're welcome. B)
I'm with you on Portillos but I have to go to Geno's for pizza. I also have to get a legit Chicago style hot dog while I'm there. For the best ones you have to go to the most sketchy looking establishments. I do miss the food in Chicago!

Reaction score
I’m looking forward to going to Lou Malnati’s, hot dogs and Tom Tom Tamales from Al’s, downtown dogs, or Portillos, and if I can make it back to my old neighborhood Palermo’s Pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'm with you on Portillos but I have to go to Geno's for pizza. I also have to get a legit Chicago style hot dog while I'm there. For the best ones you have to go to the most sketchy looking establishments. I do miss the food in Chicago!
I had a Chicago style hot dog out of a food cart outside a museum when I was there in June. It was the best!

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend what's best within walking distance of the convention center?
Any breweries?

Reaction score
Just a tip, most food places are higher priced in the city limits than the burbs , if you have a buddy or friend from the area that can drive try other places to eat. We have alot of great food all over the area , you just got to know where to go. :awesome:

Last edited:
Reaction score
There's a place not too far from McCormick called Ricobene's. It's a small restaurant that has fantastic food!! My wife took me there for the first time last year & it's AWESOME!! I highly recommend it!!

Reaction score
Last month when my Wife & I were down in Chicago we ate at an awesome steak house, The Tortoise Supper Club. It reminded me of an old Chicago style steak house, with the dark wood walls and red leather. Bought a nice sized ribeye with bone marrow butter for about $40 or $50. I would definitely recommend it.

Reaction score
^ Now that's a loaded question. :grin:

I'll be hitting up Giordano's for sure. Looks like the closest is ~2.3 miles from McCormick Place.

Reaction score
Most of the pizza places in Chicago do deep dish, except for the chain type like dominos, pizza hut,and little ceasars. But the rest do chicago deep dish, Nancy's, Rosati's , Aurelio's and Giordano's. So you can go off that and find the one you like the best. Aurelio's we have a !0% discount which you can find the link on Darthbaldylox post that helps a local charity Treasure Chest for kids with cancer.

Reaction score
Most of the pizza places in Chicago do deep dish, except for the chain type like dominos, pizza hut,and little ceasars. But the rest do chicago deep dish, Nancy's, Rosati's , Aurelio's and Giordano's. So you can go off that and find the one you like the best. Aurelio's we have a !0% discount which you can find the link on Darthbaldylox post that helps a local charity Treasure Chest for kids with cancer.
Thanks this was helpful! Much appreciated!

Reaction score
Since I work downtown Chicago, I have been to some of the restaurants. Here are some of my recommendations.

Moe's Cantina River North (southwest/mexican)
River Roast (sit down restaurant-excellent roasted meats and veggies)
Portillo's (can't go wrong with tasty fast food)
Pizza (Giordano's and Gino's East are my choices)
The Roost Carolina Kitchen-River West (a bit of a walk from downtown, but so worth the hot chicken)
Costa Vida (Loop) (Excellent fresh mexican-similar to Baja Fresh)

Wahlburgers is supposed to open in March at 2 E. Ontario (Burger joint from Mark & Donnie Wahlberg)