Celebration Anaheim: Tips & Tricks

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There have been a total of 9 Star Wars Celebrations to date. Perhaps you've been to all of them? Use this thread to post your own tips and tricks for navigating and getting the most out of the event for fans that may just be stepping into the world of a Celebration.

Reaction score
Bring snacks! It saves you some money.

I would also recommend gettting a portable battery charger for your phone. Nothing worse than being at a con and having your battery die, to only be able to go find a plug or be without the phone.

Also, extra batteries for your other electronics, like cameras.

Reaction score
I'll second the portable battery charger. Sign up on Groupon. They have them on sale on a regular basis for cheap. Most only last for 1 charge so having multiple wouldn't be a bad idea.

Also, a backpack would be a good idea to hold purchases and (for those big shoppers) a larger foldable bag (We Love Fine tend to give out huge ones with a purchase) inside the backpack may help too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bring a spouse, gf/bf, or significant other. It's the only way to be in two places at once.

Also, please keep in mind - standing in line is not much fun for children. Don't torture them, or your fellow fans, by making them stand in line for hours waiting for a signature from some senior citizen they probably couldn't care less about.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also a tube or 2 for the art prints. Not all artists provide a tube or box. Also if you're getting more than a few prints, pick them up over a couple days or make a trip back to your hotel to drop em off!

Reaction score
don't bother waiting in line all night to get in first thing in the morning, unless you're going after exclusives. if you are, then by all means, but otherwise if you wait for like an hour after the doors open you have no wait getting in.
bring snacks and water bottles
bring a battery charger
deodorant is an awesome suggestion please!
money
Also if there's a huge line please be courteous to other convention goers and get your item/autograph/whatever and move on. Please don't hang out and ask tons of questions and hold up the line. I understand you also waited in line for a long time, but be courteous.

Reaction score
"Also a tube or 2 for the art prints. Not all artists provide a tube or box. Also if you're getting more than a few prints, pick them up over a couple days or make a trip back to your hotel to drop em off! "

Yes good suggestion, if they have a onsite fedex location they will charge a arm and leg for one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is what I bring when I do cons.

Snacks
Bottled Water
Aspirin
Gum
Binder with Sleeves - 8x10 photos
Color Markers/Pens - If it needs to be a certain color
Cash - ATM at Convention centers charge top service fee
Poster tube
Portable Charger - Just added to my list. Thanks deathstar1000!! :)
Hand Sanitizer

Most important is to make new friends/contacts. While standing in line with your fellow Star Wars fan start up a conversation. We are there to have fun!

Reaction score
I concur -- team up if possible to have one person in line while the other explores the exhibit hall or other areas. Also, if going to Dland, there are a few good apps to help with navigating the park and finding ride wait times (FastTrac WT, DL Waits) and the Disney Park app isn't bad either.

Reaction score
comfortable shoes....
If your trooping with the 501st or Rebel Legion like I will be make sure you got good cushions or gels in your boots...
Snacks and water are a plus, especially on a budget.
The buddy system does work if you plan on getting exclusives. I went with several friends and we were able to get what we wanted by splitting up and getting what we wanted plus for the others who wanted the same item.

Reaction score
Bring stuff to trade too. That was one of the most fun things for us at CVI. That was our first one and I stumbled onto a thread on this forum about all the stuff people were bringing to trade. We didn't have time to make anything, so I jumped on etsy and ordered a bunch of buttons with Lego Star Wars characters on them. They were a HUGE hit! And they didn't cost me an arm and a leg either. Don't know what design we'll do for this time. But I bought a button maker so we can take a lot more with us that we've actually made ourselves. If I can get good at it maybe I can help some of you guys out if you want buttons to take. Maybe I can save you some money rather than getting them from somewhere that requires a minimum order and a set up charge for artwork. I'll keep you posted! :)

Reaction score
Putting in on the correct thread this time:
Throwing a question out there: What do you prefer to take to a convention- a backpack, messanger type bag or no bag at all?

Reaction score
Throwing a question out there: What do you prefer to take to a convention- a backpack, messanger type bag or no bag at all?
for me, depends on what I'm doing that day...if i'm doing just 8x10's and smaller items then a backpack. but if i have larger size pics to get signed like posters or 11x14's then a messenger bag. overall i'd say backpack though.

Reaction score
don't bother waiting in line all night to get in first thing in the morning, unless you're going after exclusives. if you are, then by all means, but otherwise if you wait for like an hour after the doors open you have no wait getting in.
Boy I second this. For CV (my first) I walked over to the convention center around 6AM just to see how things were going and there was already a huge line (fortunately inside) so I found a spot and settled in for a long wait. Next three days - waited until the con opened and within an hour or less was walking through the doors.

Did the same at CVI and slept in and had a leisurely stroll over to the convention center and walked in not too long after the doors had opened.

Unless you're chasing an exclusive or there's some presentation or event near opening time - for which you're having to get into another line - I'd skip the early early morning line gathering. Just wait until a little after the doors open and head in.

Reaction score
My buddies and I always waited in line because it's a great opportunity to hang out, plan the day and people watch. It's a leisurely way to get some photos of people in costumes as well.

Reaction score
I used a sling style backpack for CV and after 2 days my one shoulder was killing me. I upgraded to a double arm backpack for CVI. I will never go back to the sling pack again.

Reaction score
I've waited usually to buy something and use the bag that I get to carry things. I like going in with nothing but a phone, wallet, and charger bc I know when I come out, it'll be with a ton of stuff. This next celebration I may want a backpack for waters and what not.

Reaction score
Ever heard of the Tip O' Texas....seriously, there
For the last 4 cons, been getting to the opening lines super early (usually within the first ten people) and hanging out all night, talking, laughing, networking! But this last time was just rough physically. Catching naps on the pavement, sweating in the humid Orlando weather, not enough energy throughout the longer days. I guess I'm just getting older, but you guys have it right. SLEEP IN!! and just head over when the lines have gone in. That sleep will do a body good by day 3 or 4.

Reaction score
For the last 4 cons, been getting to the opening lines super early (usually within the first ten people) and hanging out all night, talking, laughing, networking! But this last time was just rough physically. Catching naps on the pavement, sweating in the humid Orlando weather, not enough energy throughout the longer days. I guess I'm just getting older, but you guys have it right. SLEEP IN!! and just head over when the lines have gone in. That sleep will do a body good by day 3 or 4.
Yea man! Nothing beats strolling in and not having to wait hours and hours and hours. I stayed cozy in my hotel room, watched a good movie and passed out, energized for a full day of con stuff!

Reaction score
Oh, who are you kidding, if it weren't for you getting up early and getting in line, we would never have met! Dude, these Celebrations are for us fans, SLEEP WHEN YOU'RE DEAD! :grin:

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA .......O good sir!! You are definitely correct sir! But now that we're older, we need that rest. My old body is weary......o-o
Come on dland, you have the rest of your life to relax. And now that we're getting older, you have to live everyday like it's your last! These are four days to live it up!

Reaction score
For those of you who have attended a SWC in the past and fly, how do you get your swag home? I'm sure you'll have to pay an extra baggage fee, but what kind of luggage are you using to protect your purchases from the ham-handed baggage handlers at the airports? Inquiring minds want to know...:hmm:

Reaction score
For those of you who have attended a SWC in the past and fly, how do you get your swag home? I'm sure you'll have to pay an extra baggage fee, but what kind of luggage are you using to protect your purchases from the ham-handed baggage handlers at the airports? Inquiring minds want to know...:hmm:
I probably don't grab as much as most but I normally have the rolling hard case carryon with me. I found a backpack at Office Max that carries all of my electronics (laptop, camera, lenses, ipad, cables, etc) so the rolling carryon normally has food/traveling tolietries leaving it to be empty on the way home. An idea is to pick up one of the cardboard envelopes/priority mail box from the USPS (or something similar) and then put that between layers of clothes.

Reaction score
FYI, at Celebration V and Celebration VI, USPS and Fedex were at the convention center so you may be able to grab a envelope/box there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For anyone who is in need of new luggage for Celebration, I suggest waiting until either this coming Black Friday or the next and look at deals on 360 luggage. I bought some last Black Friday for my recent Disney World vacation and it was so much easier to manage than the usual 2-wheel luggage.