Celebration 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
What made it great for you guys in Orlando would only be amplified and made better second time around. For the people that went to "The Main Event", all I've heard is how great it was to be able to wait inside. That's crucial in ANY weather. Wish we had that luxury during Star Wars Weekends @ Hollywood Studios!!

Reaction score
Places for a convention!

London, England (biased opinion - I live there)!
Sydney, Australia - relatives live there!
Dallas, Texas, USA - first place I visited in the US!
Orlando, Florida, USA - Great roomy Convention Centre (different hotel next time - humidity issue with room there)!

Willing to try out a different place if it has to be as long as there's other things to do in the location chosen!

May the Force be with you all!

Reaction score
my vote would be for Orlando again (only this time I think I would drive down....spent too much on shipping) and I think i would stay closer to the convention center (was about 10 minutes up the road across from Wet & Wild). also if it is in Orlando again I think they need to do more with the space...there were so many empty rooms and possibilities that it seemed a waste that nothing was going on in them.... would also love to see more interactive events for everyone (building the Lego wall was awesome). I think they should also do this convention in May and have another similiar Last tour to Endor party that is exclusive for the C VI people.

although I would love to see it come to the Big Apple....that would be awesome.

Reaction score
I 2nd the Big Apple, knowing that the costs (hotel, food, etc) would probably prevent Reed from seriously considering it

Reaction score
another thing about C VI that Reed can improve on....not so many things going on all at once... I was unable to get to any of the collector panels as they were either filled up already or during something else that I wanted to see...missed out on all the cool cereal boxes...

Reaction score
DarkArtist said:
another thing about C VI that Reed can improve on....not so many things going on all at once... I was unable to get to any of the collector panels as they were either filled up already or during something else that I wanted to see...missed out on all the cool cereal boxes...
That's just a simple fact of Celebration, man. There's always going to be things happening at the same time and it forces you to decide. As a veteran of 4 Celebrations, I've had to sacrifice going to several things in order to do something else. The trick is to just keep things in perspective and be grateful you're there.

Reaction score
BlueSnag said:
I 2nd the Big Apple, knowing that the costs (hotel, food, etc) would probably prevent Reed from seriously considering it
Reed already runs the NY Comic Con, so I wouldn't completely rule out NYC. Everyone said LA was expensive and that drew more people than Orlando.

Reaction score
I don't think it would happen in New York! It's really expensive for the single traveller to stay in the city and that's coming from someone who hasn't been there yet!

I'd like to go there really, but don't see it happening there despite the fact there's plenty of things to do in New York!

Reaction score
I am sensing the next Celebration in the West (California, Vegas) some big convention place. Though Indianapolis or Orlando again would be quite convenient. West coast gets Comic-Con, East gets Celebration!

Reaction score
Indy is vamping up quite a bit with building a new 5-star hotel near the convention center along with the convention center expansion and other updates that will coincide with the Superbowl being held here in 2012. It wouldn't be a bad place for it, but I would be more than happy with Chicago.

Reaction score
I thought Orlando was great! I would also love either Chicago or Indy. I have free lodging at both of those locations. I think that Chicago would be a stretch due to the political situation with the unions. It is a lot of drama and expense for Reed and Lucasfilm to go through. I think Indy would be good but even with the expansion would that be enough room for 30,000 people. I also think they are going to go to a place that will hold a lot more than 30,000 because they don't want to get stuck in a place that they are going to out grow.

Reaction score
The political and unions here in Chicago would not get invovled. They leave all the people alone when making movies here in our city all the time. So thats not true, I know this because i work here in Chicago in a govt. branch job. And politics are bad in any city you go, its that ours have been on the news alot because of the polical clean-up we are doing. The people said enough is enough and want everything a counted for.

Reaction score
DarkArtist said:
So are you saying that you want much less programming, or someone to decide for you how to schedule your priorities?

-theropod

Reaction score
clonetrooper10 said:
The political and unions here in Chicago would not get invovled. They leave all the people alone when making movies here in our city all the time. So thats not true, I know this because i work here in Chicago in a govt. branch job. And politics are bad in any city you go, its that ours have been on the news alot because of the polical clean-up we are doing. The people said enough is enough and want everything a counted for.
With that being the case I would be more than happy to see it in Chicago. My in-laws live there so I have a place to stay and you can't beat the food in Chicago. Is McCormick place big enough to hold it? I haven't been there since the car show in '03.

Reaction score
Yeah McCormick Place is pretty huge and would be a really awesome place for it (and plenty of parking garages).
Only downside would be those needing to get hotels in downtown Chicago.

Reaction score
DarkArtist said:
When you start going to enough Celebrations, some of the programs start to repeat or are very similar to what's been done before, so it gets a little easier to choose.

Reaction score
I agree on the time of year thing. August is hot almost everywhere in the country. They really need to have a show in the spring. I didn't go to the Orlando one but I have been there in August so I can only imagine how miserable it would be to be in costume sans those who went as Slave Leia. I went to the LA on and it was pretty hot there too.

Reaction score
The weather from June thru August is definitely better on the west coast cities (San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland & Seattle) than the rest of the US..

Reaction score
I was thinking about Indy and it would be great if they could use the Lucas Oil Stadium for the Main Event. It is close enough to the convention center and they could fit the entire convention into it so everyone could see George live. I think that Lucasfilm may be a little leary to do Indy again because they have done it twice and they don't want to repeat the same mistakes that were made there. It may prevent some people from going to Indy based on the bad taste from previous conventions.

Reaction score
Dubai - WOW.. Just came back from seven months over there. Would be a big NOGO for Slave girls. Really expensive if you haven't been there before.

I live in O-Town, so easy for me. I'm sure OCCC would love to have another big geek show as close to the size as they could to SDCC. Haven't been to SDCC since i got off active duty, but will be going this next summer.

Had a great time at CV. Agree about the wasted space and spreading out a bit. One of my petpeeves is pic takers/posers. Can't tell you how many times I've almost run people over because they stop right in front of me. I did not really have that prob at this show. I know it was right after SDCC, but more dealers. Trying to get the rest of the Riddel MINI-Helmets and didn't find them. Other than that it was great, took my Girlys and we had a time. CVI I will be going for the entire con, missed so much only going on Saterday.

Reaction score
theropod said:
DarkArtist said:
So are you saying that you want much less programming, or someone to decide for you how to schedule your priorities?

-theropod
not saying I want someone to plan my schedule for me but I was upset that everytime I went to one of the collector panels I was told sorry the room is filled when i could clearly see seats up front (the Masters/Knights seats) that were empty... I think they should have opened those seats up to people who were waiting on line.

I also think that they should just spend some things out so that it gives people enough time to run from room to room to see all they can see...

don't get me wrong I had an amazing time at both CII and CV and while I wasn't able to see everything I wanted I still wuld love preferred more time in between everything that alots for travel time. I mean some of the seminars were on opposite sides of the convention center.

Reaction score
MoK13 said:
Dubai - WOW.. Just came back from seven months over there. Would be a big NOGO for Slave girls. Really expensive if you haven't been there before.

I live in O-Town, so easy for me. I'm sure OCCC would love to have another big geek show as close to the size as they could to SDCC. Haven't been to SDCC since i got off active duty, but will be going this next summer.

Had a great time at CV. Agree about the wasted space and spreading out a bit. One of my petpeeves is pic takers/posers. Can't tell you how many times I've almost run people over because they stop right in front of me. I did not really have that prob at this show. I know it was right after SDCC, but more dealers. Trying to get the rest of the Riddel MINI-Helmets and didn't find them. Other than that it was great, took my Girlys and we had a time. CVI I will be going for the entire con, missed so much only going on Saterday.
Being an Orlando resident was the local press positive on the event? Were there any news stories that highlighted the positive economic impact the con had?

Reaction score
I've been having dreams that I was still at CV once a week since CV happened, can't wait for CVI!!

Reaction score
CaptainAlex said:
Being an Orlando resident was the local press positive on the event? Were there any news stories that highlighted the positive economic impact the con had?
The week of CV the news shows had blurbs about. All were positive. I had to explain what it was to my co-workers everytime they came on.

CSD

Reaction score
Orlando felt like it was connected to Star Wars. It had Disney and all the other attractions. CVI in Orlando! But they need a better marketing campaign this time instead of a six month one.

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more.

Orlando is the perfect place for CVI. It also has the best surrounding attractions for those who come in from abroad and like to extend their vacation like we did.

None of the other cities that have previously held Celebrations had this, and frequently we were stuck for things to do when the show was over.

Even in LA the attractions were spread far from the Convention Center. In Orlando both Universal Studios and Disney were mere minutes away. Not to mention the support of Star Wars at Disney.

If anything I say keep it in Orlando, just move it up to earlier in the year to a slightly cooler time.

Reaction score
Anyway a mod can start a poll? It would be interesting to see the result. I think the majority want it back in FL.

Reaction score
I doubt LFL would go for a double dip in Orlando- during the fanclub breakfast around 5 months before C V location was revealed he stated that Celebrations should be shared to as many people as possible and thus the alternating coast for future Celebrations was envisioned.

I won't disagree that Orlando was a nice host but there are many many fans all over the world that couldn't make it to C V ( LA attendance > Orlando attendance ) but would be able to go to the next one if it was just a little closer. Can't we share the same vision that LFL has that Celebrations should be accessible to as many fans as possible? Afterall, if we love going to these things as much as we say we do, we'd be willing to travel anywhere in the galaxy.

Reaction score
Moving C6 back out to LA cuts it off from a lot of non US fans there is no way I would think of going to somewhere like LA on my own .. ORLANDO was perfect as a venue and host sure things can be improved but why move it when it seems to have found the perfect venue?.. the hotels were great the theme parks NASA Disney .. its GOT IT ALL!!!
Honest guys it would be crazy to move it .. just prep earlier announce it sooner and BRING IT ON!!! lol lol

Reaction score
I have not taken the time to read this whole thread but here is what I know for sure.It will be in 3 years for ROTJ ann. and a great spot has been already picked.Which makes me think it will not be in orlando again.Even though I am from mid-west I found this to have been the ideal place, best one yet by far.LA is too freakin expensive.Indy not big enough.Chicago too expensive.I would like to see it in either nashville tn or st. louis very central easy areas to get to for most people.The person who told me it has already been set did not let me in on where.But just said it was going to be in a great location.He is from texas so I am thinkin, why not it is a central location and in OPXs back yard.

Reaction score
Please NO TEXAS! We have Fan Days already. That's enough in Texas. There's a reason why there are no big shows in TX.

Unless cows and horses are your thing, I think most will be disappointed.

Reaction score
Is it Tulsa!

I've always got an open invitation to Tulsa (technically Sand Springs) everytime I come to the USA on my travels!

Reaction score
Official pix's back yard does nothing for celebration, they dont have the celebs in a warehouse or something. it being close to where ben and philip live doesnt mean we will have more celebs or anything. and this mystery "they" person we know nothing about. heck i could say "they" told me it was going to be in timbucktoo.

Reaction score
There is nothing about Texas that makes it a great location other than it is centrally located. Way too hot and humid and there is absolutely nothing to do there. There are not a lot of hotels or anything to do nearby the convention centers. I predict it will be coming back to the West coast.

Reaction score
It would make more sense business wise to have it in a place like Orlando again, that already has cheap hotels and cheap travel. That way we can spend more money at the show.

please not in august tho. middle to the end of may would be great, and longer than 4 days haha

Jim

Reaction score
Why does everyone come off as being rude?I am freindly telling you what I heard.The ideal place to me is orlando, the ideal time the same weekend ROTJ was originally released.Everyone grips it was too hot, I do not know where you guys went but I remember AC being on the whole time.I work in 115 degree warehouse all summer so stop your sob stories.Last time I checked Lucas does not owe anybody a celebration so personally I will take what I can get.

Reaction score
epsilonjedi said:
There is nothing about Texas that makes it a great location other than it is centrally located. Way too hot and humid and there is absolutely nothing to do there. There are not a lot of hotels or anything to do nearby the convention centers. I predict it will be coming back to the West coast.
QFT!

Reaction score
I would obviously love to see all you guys return with CVI here in Orlando --- but just to let you know, May is hot here also lol... Admittedly not QUITE as brutal as August, but only about a 3 degree average daily difference.

Reaction score
ORLANDO all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texas omg NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.