Celebration 4 - You in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Who was that actor again??? I have yet to hear a name.....just "a famous actor." If I missed it, I missed it and my bad. But so far it seems like any other "reliable rumor source."

Reaction score
WedgeWannaBe said:
Who was that actor again??? I have yet to hear a name.....just "a famous actor." If I missed it, I missed it and my bad. But so far it seems like any other "reliable rumor source."
I think someone alluded to it being Ray Park, but I'm not 100% sure.

Reaction score
Maybe they didn't count on anyone calling the convention center. So they didn't think they'd have to worry about it, but when said agent let it slip, they didn't have time to contact the convention center in time before hand. Even then, secretaries don't care about releasing info until they get in trouble for it. The general population doesn't give a rat's poop about Star Wars.

Reaction score
DarthJaq said:
Maybe they didn't count on anyone calling the convention center. So they didn't think they'd have to worry about it, but when said agent let it slip, they didn't have time to contact the convention center in time before hand. Even then, secretaries don't care about releasing info until they get in trouble for it. The general population doesn't give a rat's poop about Star Wars.
Until we actually have an announcement, there will continue to be all kinds of "conspiracy theories" about whether or not it's truly going to be in L.A. At this point, I think we should all just wait for an actual confirmation before reading too much into things.

Reaction score
Brent72 said:
WedgeWannaBe said:
I think someone alluded to it being Ray Park, but I'm not 100% sure.

Getting Very Warm......

Reaction score
MARTI said:
UPDATE #2- I spoke to Patricia Dennis, Director of Marketing, and she has nothing scheduled in regards to Star Wars or Gen Con. And she would be the person who would know what is going on!!!

Could Ms. Dennis actually give a yes or no answer on this to the general public? Wouldn't LFL be a bit more tightlipped and have a stranglehold on all those involved on something like this until they are ready for official announcement?

Reaction score
I sure do hope the whole LA this is indeed BS, but I have to point out two things:

1) My wife initially didn't get a hold of the actual event planner. Instead, she was told that she(my wife) would get a call back from her....which she did later in the day.

2) My wife has no idea who or what a Gen Con is, so the actual words came from the woman on the phone claiming to be the actual event planner for the LA Convention Center. Now, why would a lowly secretary claim that she herself is the Event Planner, and why would she drop Gen Con's name into things for no apparent reason?

I don't know, but I tend to agree with the theory that Lucasfilm has now clamped down on the apparent leaks.

I totally want to be wrong about C4 in LA, but I for one, am convinced it's headed there.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Capntarpals said:
I sure do hope the whole LA this is indeed BS, but I have to point out two things:

1) My wife initially didn't get a hold of the actual event planner. Instead, she was told that she(my wife) would get a call back from her....which she did later in the day.

2) My wife has no idea who or what a Gen Con is, so the actual words came from the woman on the phone claiming to be the actual event planner for the LA Convention Center. Now, why would a lowly secretary claim that she herself is the Event Planner, and why would she drop Gen Con's name into things for no apparent reason?

I don't know, but I tend to agree with the theory that Lucasfilm has now clamped down on the apparent leaks.

I totally want to be wrong about C4 in LA, but I for one, am convinced it's headed there.

I'm under the distinct impression from several conversations though that Gen-Con will not be involved what so ever.

Reaction score
I just don't get why there would even be a need for a bunch of cloak-'n-dagger BS. This is a CONVENTION, not a movie. Yeah, I'm sure the organizers would much prefer a rousing round of applause when they announce it at SDCC to a chorus of "Ho-hum, we've known that for three months," but do you really think Lucas would be as careful about this new getting out as he was about Vader being Luke's dad? Maybe he would, but that just seems bizarre.

I trust Cap'nTarpals implicitly, so I have a feeling no one organizing this told the employees at the LACC to lie about it because they didn't expect people to call asking about it. When that started, someone (Latisha?) told their boss about it and their boss told their boss until it got back to the organizers and they decided to clamp the lid on it. That would explain why subsequent calls are met with the response, "Star Wars? Never heard of it."

The thing is, if it's true, why doesn't the Fan Club just come out and announce it? Do they really have so little to talk about at SDCC that without this big announcement they think no one will come to their panel?

Reaction score
mousedroid said:
I just don't get why there would even be a need for a bunch of cloak-'n-dagger BS. This is a CONVENTION, not a movie. Yeah, I'm sure the organizers would much prefer a rousing round of applause when they announce it at SDCC to a chorus of "Ho-hum, we've known that for three months," but do you really think Lucas would be as careful about this new getting out as he was about Vader being Luke's dad? Maybe he would, but that just seems bizarre.

I trust Cap'nTarpals implicitly, so I have a feeling no one organizing this told the employees at the LACC to lie about it because they didn't expect people to call asking about it. When that started, someone (Latisha?) told their boss about it and their boss told their boss until it got back to the organizers and they decided to clamp the lid on it. That would explain why subsequent calls are met with the response, "Star Wars? Never heard of it."

The thing is, if it's true, why doesn't the Fan Club just come out and announce it? Do they really have so little to talk about at SDCC that without this big announcement they think no one will come to their panel?
Agree with everything you say, especially the "why wait" part. I don't understand why TPTB don't get beyond this "secret secret secret" mentality. Are they afraid of getting a million e-mails on the SW boards because they picked one city over another? You can't please all of the people all of the time, etcetera, etcetera.

And again, if TPTB think that this little tidbit of information is going to make people race to Comic-Con to hear it, they are sadly mistaken. Yeah, SW Day attracts people, but thousands attend SDCC, and boy, they don't all show up for the SW panels. (Just as an aside, this is going to be an interesting Comic-Con. Not a whole lot out there to hype this year, SW or otherwise.)

And an announcement now rather than later would certainly forestall the collective giant groan that Sansweet might get at Comic-Con if he announces L.A. as the venue

Reaction score
I guess the other possibility is that there are still more contracts to be signed with hotels, the convention center, etc. and for business reasons, they can't or won't make an official announcement until all the Ts are crossed and the Is are dotted.

Regardless, they're going to get a flood of e-mails complaining about the location whether they announce it today or 2-1/2 months from now.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
mousedroid said:
I guess the other possibility is that there are still more contracts to be signed with hotels, the convention center, etc. and for business reasons, they can't or won't make an official announcement until all the Ts are crossed and the Is are dotted.

Regardless, they're going to get a flood of e-mails complaining about the location whether they announce it today or 2-1/2 months from now.
Good point MD! I was thinking the same thing . . . the fine details are still being worked out I imagine . . . .

Reaction score
They're gonna wait until SDCC because that's the big enchilada. They have to have something to announce there that'll get the crowd buzzing.

People will cheer at SDCC when it's announced. There are soooo many Southern Californians there, there's bound to be excitement. Maybe a smattering of groans... but the crowd mentality will take over and people will go bananas.

Reaction score
I for one am happy that C-IV "may" be here on the "left" coast. as I did not attend CI-III due to distance.
For those of you saying Indy is "centrally" located you are WRONG!!!!!!!
For the record according to ask.com:
The geographical center of the lower 48 states lies outside of Lebanon, Kansas, in the middle of a hog farm.

The geographical center of all 50 states is located 17 miles west of Castle Rock, South Dakota.

The geodetic center of the U.S. is found approximately 42 miles south of Lebanon, Kansas. (Note: A geodetic survey makes corrections to account for the curvature of the Earth.)

SO therefore to be "centrally" located it should be held in one of those 3 locations.
Being a resident o' "Lost Wages", Nevada-I of course would love to see a con held there

And as I stated to the guy from Yak-if one were to permenantly locate a "Celebration" I would pick the Bay Area of California, due to the location of Skywalker Ranch and The Presidio.

Blitzie?:>}

Reaction score
Blitzkriegtrench said:
For those of you saying Indy is "centrally" located you are WRONG!!!!!!!
First of all, Indianapolis may not be at the exact geographic center of the US, but it's certainly much closer than Los Angeles.

Secondly, no one was arguing that Indy is in the center of the US, but rather that it is within driving distance (e.g. 500 miles) of a much larger percentage of the US population than L.A.

According to Wikipedia, the mean center of the U.S. population in the 2000 census was Phelps County, Missouri, just to the southwest of St. Louis. So if you want to be fair from the standpoint of traveling distance by population, St. Louis would be the place to hold C4. I'd still have to fly though, so they may as well hold it in L.A.

Reaction score
I just want confirmation its actually happening, then I'll [censored] about the location.

Reaction score
JoeRhyno said:
I'm sure this has been posted.. cause I'm always at least 3 days late on stuff like this, lol.. but here's a Rick McCallum interview, and from what he says, it doens't look like we'll have another Celebration till the movies go 3D:
http://iesb.net/videointerviews/saturn06rickmccallum.php
wait for it to load
I saw that interview clip. What I took from it is that there will be a Celebration next year(notice how he said there would be one for a BIG anniversary), but there was no mention of time or place. Of course, Rick has never been known to give up a lot of top secret information so I'm sure he does indeed know when and where it will be, he's just not going to let the cat out of the bag right now.

Reaction score
SDCC would be the perfect time to announce it. So I'm anxious to hear what is going to be announced for Star Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.