Celebration 4 - You in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
WedgeWannaBe said:
Turbowars said:
The fewer of you people there the better.
OK, I felt like I had gotten everything off my chest until seeing this bright statement. I guess the thing that burns my butt about this is that while the entire rest of the country kept saying that it should be centrally located (anywhere basically between Vegas and Indy), a chunk of Cali Scummers (whose actions/words have now placed a not so nice label on all Cali's) have been screaming on how unfair life is with not having Celebration II/III in their backyard. How they should have it because they have the movie industry and Lucas offices. Nothing about doing what is best for the ENTIRE Star Wars community. Nothing about how it would be easier for those of us with families to go to a central location. Only smug remarks. I guess that selfishness bothers me. Heck I had to drive 8 hours and still didn't gripe about it not being in Michigan!!

It also ticks me off that I hear all the griping when SDCC is in right there. A convention with big stars, exclusives, and more...I can see how these few Cali (once again a few who ruin the image for other Cali's) are crying foul play.

I'm to the point where I'm not as upset as to where C4 is going to be, but rather more upset at certain people's attitudes. For all of those with smug comments like above, I'd love it if it ended up somewhere else and you looked like a chump.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Nice post, Wedge.

Reaction score
If it's in LA, I'm not going. Plain and simple, no thinking twice. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice city but I doubt it will have the amount of attendees as the previous Indy conventions.

Reaction score
CaptainCargo said:
metaljedi said:
CaptainCargo said:
metaljedi said:
CaptainCargo said:
Capntarpals said:
You West Coasters have Comic Con...be happy with that
ditto, you would think we'd get something at least close to the East coast...
You did twice with C2 and C3 in Indianapolis.
I think you need to check a map...or maybe I just imagined the 14 hour car ride west FROM the east coast...
I checked the map and it still showed YOU were closer to Indy than I was. You said "at least close" to you.
I'm not sure what your point is...all I'm saying (like most everyone else) is that C4 should be in a central point in the US, not CLOSE to west coast and not CLOSE to the east coast. It should be CLOSER to both coasts...
I was talking about your first statement. You said you wanted something more closer to the east coast which you did in C2 and C3. You had a 14 hour drive while if I drove it would be alot longer. So basically you had 2 Celebrations which were closer to you.

Im not saying that having it on either coast is good. SDCC doesn't compare to a Celebration due to the fact that only a percentage of it caters to Star Wars. This is a all Star Wars event. Why can't they just put it in Dallas or somewhere like that?

Reaction score
bobafett14 said:
After the Pgh. comicon I'm now changing my guess to L.A. for C4,

AND... drumroll please...... L.A. for C5 and C6 in '09 AND '11 !!!!!!
Mwhahahah... when he let it slip I didn't think he was B.S'ing.

If you hadn't figured it out...this was the con where it was leaked and all Heck broke loose. ;^)

Reaction score
metaljedi said:
CaptainCargo said:
metaljedi said:
CaptainCargo said:
metaljedi said:
CaptainCargo said:
Capntarpals said:
You West Coasters have Comic Con...be happy with that
ditto, you would think we'd get something at least close to the East coast...
You did twice with C2 and C3 in Indianapolis.
I think you need to check a map...or maybe I just imagined the 14 hour car ride west FROM the east coast...
I checked the map and it still showed YOU were closer to Indy than I was. You said "at least close" to you.
I'm not sure what your point is...all I'm saying (like most everyone else) is that C4 should be in a central point in the US, not CLOSE to west coast and not CLOSE to the east coast. It should be CLOSER to both coasts...
I was talking about your first statement. You said you wanted something more closer to the east coast which you did in C2 and C3. You had a 14 hour drive while if I drove it would be alot longer. So basically you had 2 Celebrations which were closer to you.

Im not saying that having it on either coast is good. SDCC doesn't compare to a Celebration due to the fact that only a percentage of it caters to Star Wars. This is a all Star Wars event. Why can't they just put it in Dallas or somewhere like that?
Actually we can agree on that, I wouldn't not mind Dallas that much at all, sure I'd still have to fly but it wouldn't be half the headache of LA....

Ok C4 people East has met West the show's in Dallas

Reaction score
I hope they kill the rumors and storys and just announce something.

I will go either way. LA is not at the top of my places to see list but I will go and have a great time like I did at c2 and c3.

Reaction score
WedgeWannaBe said:
Turbowars said:
The fewer of you people there the better.
OK, I felt like I had gotten everything off my chest until seeing this bright statement. I guess the thing that burns my butt about this is that while the entire rest of the country kept saying that it should be centrally located (anywhere basically between Vegas and Indy), a chunk of Cali Scummers (whose actions/words have now placed a not so nice label on all Cali's) have been screaming on how unfair life is with not having Celebration II/III in their backyard. How they should have it because they have the movie industry and Lucas offices. Nothing about doing what is best for the ENTIRE Star Wars community. Nothing about how it would be easier for those of us with families to go to a central location. Only smug remarks. I guess that selfishness bothers me. Heck I had to drive 8 hours and still didn't gripe about it not being in Michigan!!

It also ticks me off that I hear all the griping when SDCC is in right there. A convention with big stars, exclusives, and more...I can see how these few Cali (once again a few who ruin the image for other Cali's) are crying foul play.

I'm to the point where I'm not as upset as to where C4 is going to be, but rather more upset at certain people's attitudes. For all of those with smug comments like above, I'd love it if it ended up somewhere else and you looked like a chump.
LOL, man you need to relax fellow SW collector. It was a joke. I have friends all over the US and I welcome all of them. Did you have a bad day at work? Anyways, I haven't been to a Celebration yet due to the distance in the past, so it will be nice. Say what you like about the people (or Me) of CA. It makes no difference to me.

Reaction score
The good thing about having it in Indy is that there were plenty of places to stay and eat within walking distance, and the city is small and easy to navigate. I've never been to LA but have the feeling that it would be a little tougher.

Reaction score
If its in L.A., I think it was chosen for a few reasons. Those being the following:

1. Lucas wants a guaranteed high attendance.
SDCC had an attendance around 110 Thousand people last year. You have to figure 1/3 of those people will come to L.A.

2. Guaranteed Beautiful Weather

3. Guaranteed Beautiful Stars

4. Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill will attend only if its in L.A.

Reaction score
BlueHarvest1138 said:
I was hoping for Anaheim so I could spend the time not in the convention with my wife at Disneyland.
My wife is actually hoping for this too, she wants to hit Disneyland after CIV closes make it a whole vacation thing...

efranks said:
I didn't know the name hadn't been leaked? I thought it was common knowledge who's agent leaked this?
Let's just say that the agent shed a Ray of light on the subject.
Hahahhaha...Got ya.

Reaction score
To me it's no big deal. Sure I could spend under $100 to drive to L.A., but I planned to go to CIV wherever it was held (I was hoping for either Maui or my backyard). I'm sure there will be a lot of people who won't be able to attend if it's in L.A., just like there were a lot of people who couldn't attend when it was in Indianapolis.

I remember meeting a couple people who went to CIII with their kids, because their kids loved SW and they lived relatively close to drive to Indy for a day or two. I know a majority of people live close to Indy, but there's probably just as many, if not more, "casual" fans who would attend a SW convention if it was held in L.A.

What about SW fans from Hawaii or Alaska, L.A. is much closer for them to visit and get their SW geek-dom on. What if a polar bear cub wanted to hook up with an Ewok, he's probably not gonna go all the way to the Midwest.

How about another option? Phoenix, it's not central, but it's probably cheap to fly. As long as it's in the beginning or end of the year, the weather's not bad. We don't have earthquakes or massive forest fires. Just rattlesnakes, scorpions, and coyotes; oh my!

I haven't been to downtown L.A. in years, so I don't know how it is, but I don't think it's that bad. Just avoid South Central, East L.A., Long Beach, and Compton and you should be fine.

Reaction score
Geez... You know, while it does make sense that a lot of east coasters (as well as others who are far away) are not necessarily pleased with the choice, I'm reading a lot of inane rationalizations as to why L.A. was a categorical lapse of judgment.

First of all, the L.A. Convention Center is certainly not in the "middle of nowhere" as some of you have suggested. If being located in downtown Los Angeles constitutes "nowhere", then certainly Indianapolis, Denver, or any other city besides New York, is quite "barren" by comparison. This brings me to the second spiteful assertion that L.A. will fail to have a decent attendance. Some of you seemed to have forgotten that Los Angeles is the second most populous city in the U.S. Any collector here knows how hard it is to find anything because of the sheer number of fellow collectors that we have to compete with. Having seen the droves at Wizard World, which is much smaller than both Comic Con and SW Celebration, I have a feeling attendance won't be a problem.

As a socal resident, of course I am elated at the possibility that this will be in my backyard. But I didn't whine and b**tch last year when CIII, possibly the biggest Celebration that will ever be due to ROTS, was more than halfway across the country in Indianapolis. I wanted desperately to go to this, so guess what? I sacked up, took some vacation time off work, saved some money, and booked the flight to Indiana.

Besides, I think we should ALL save our b**ching for the inevitable fiasco that is going to be the line handling for the Celebration Store.

Let me finally put it this way: at CIII, I stood in the long, winding, seemingly endless line...in the rain. The lines will be long regardless of what you do, however, the rain is almost guaranteed to be a non-issue here.

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in my fellow Cali scummers and all on the West Coast. All that b*tching made it sound like only Midwest, East Coast and Indy people are fans and go to SW Conventions. Well guess what people, there will be plenty of fans who will make it to C4 - I'd like to remind ya'll which is the largest state in the Union population-wise?

Reaction score
tk421_1_2 said:
I'd like to remind ya'll which is the largest state in the Union population-wise?
I'd suggest you not play the population card because it's clearly not a consideration. CA may be the most populous state, but a much higher percentage of the US population lives within 500 miles of Indianapolis than within 500 miles of L.A.

Reaction score
tk421_1_2 said:
All that b*tching made it sound like only Midwest, East Coast and Indy people are fans and go to SW Conventions.
This comment sums it up my point again.....you should have just replaced "Midwest, East Coast and Indy people" with "the entire rest of the nation.

It's simple people. Take a rectangle and put a dot in the exact middle of it. Measure the distance from the dot to both the left and right sides. Now put a dot on the extreme left side and measure all the way across to the right side. It's simple math. While the sum of the distances in the first example is the same as the distance in the second, the last example gives you a situation where the people on the right travel twice as far as before. Seems fair to me.....
Let's not even take into account that the vast majority of the people in the entire nation live on the right 2/3 of the rectangle. Forget that the one state (out of 50 others) has the most people. Of course, that's where the selfish outlook comes in again.....We are california, we want every single convention. Sorry for offending the cool Cali's out there that I know aren't taking this stance. You guys still rock.

Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread to follow especially since it isn't in stone where it'll be. For all we know the information leak is bogus and it'll end up in Orlando or New York or something. I didn't go to any of the Celebrations before because I couldn't swing it. I tried but I couldn't. If its in LA it'll be a definite for me, if not I'll still try and hopefully I make it. I just want them to say its happening at this point and I'll save my complaining for later.

Reaction score
mousedroid said:
tk421_1_2 said:
I'd like to remind ya'll which is the largest state in the Union population-wise?
I'd suggest you not play the population card because it's clearly not a consideration. CA may be the most populous state, but a much higher percentage of the US population lives within 500 miles of Indianapolis than within 500 miles of L.A.
Absolutely. It doesn't matter that Cali is the largest state in the union, it's still much more difficult for the majority of the population to travel there than to a centralized location. Once again, I'll point out that the only people in favor of C4 being in L.A. are the ones who live out there.

Reaction score
I think the best solution would be to make it an annual event and change the location every year. Kind of like Bot-Con, the transformers con. And I'm pretty sure there is enough demand to make it an annual event.

Reaction score
Wow! I just hooked on to this very heated thread. Lots of anger for something that hasn't been decided yet.

The thing that disturbs me is the venting at us "Cali" scummers. (By the way, referring to California as "Cali" went out back in 1987! It's very "Beverly Hills 90210-ish.) Keep in mind, we're not making the decision here. If it does end up in L.A.... trust me, it wasn't my call.

I certainly can see the reasoning behind a "central" location. But people gotta keep this in perspective. No matter where they do it... be glad that there is a convention. Celebrate! That's why they call it a "celebration".

And I've gotta laugh at the guy who claimed the L.A. Convention Center was in the middle of nowehere. That's a laugh.

I urge calmness and respect here. Just wait and see how it plays out.

Reaction score
Isn't everyone tired of Indy by now though? I mean, they've had 2 Celebrations there now. Haven't we eaten at every restaurant there? Stayed at the better hotels? Also, when they announced C3 at Comic-con a couple years ago, someone asked Steve if they thought about San Diego. He said they had and couldn't get the time they wanted cause it's booked for years in advance or something. So maybe this has been planned for a while. And I'm pretty sure that a good deal of those 2000 people at the Star Wars Spectacular at Comic-con wanted it in San Diego. If they get that many people, it can't be a total failure for a convention can it?

Reaction score
For anyone who still does not believe that it is indeed coming to LA, go ahead and call the LA Convention Center. Ask for Leteesha, the Event Planner. She confirmed over the phone to my wife that Gen Con is having Star Wars Celebration 4 May 23rd through 28th of 2007.

As much as I'd like to believe otherwise, the truth is one phone call away.

Speaking of phone calls, does anyone know where or how to get in touch via phone with Lucasfilm, 'cause I wanna start voicing my displeasure with them personally.

Reaction score
Capntarpals said:
For anyone who still does not believe that it is indeed coming to LA, go ahead and call the LA Convention Center. Ask for Leteesha, the Event Planner. She confirmed over the phone to my wife that Gen Con is having Star Wars Celebration 4 May 23rd through 28th of 2007.

As much as I'd like to believe otherwise, the truth is one phone call away.

Speaking of phone calls, does anyone know where or how to get in touch via phone with Lucasfilm, 'cause I wanna start voicing my displeasure with them personally.
Why is it booked for 6 days(May 23rd through 28th) instead of 4 days like the previous Celebrations? They're surely not going to hold a 6 day event, are they? Oh, and if you get that phone # for Lucasfilm, please be sure to post it here as I'd love to call them as well. I mean, seriously, L.A. has every other movie related event on the planet. Why the hell hold a SW Celebration there and screw over thousands of people in the process?

Reaction score
My guess for the six days are two days for setup and for repacking everything, respectively.

Oh, I'll definitely post any Lucasfilm phone number I can find, when I find it.

Reaction score
I wonder how many California Scummers or Alaska Scummers or Hawaii Scummers voiced their displeasure at the powers that be for holding CIII in Indy. I doubt there were many and instead joyously booked their plane tickets in anticipation of a grand celebration of their beloved films.

Reaction score
tk421_1_2 said:
I wonder how many California Scummers or Alaska Scummers or Hawaii Scummers voiced their displeasure at the powers that be for holding CIII in Indy. I doubt there were many and instead joyously booked their plane tickets in anticipation of a grand celebration of their beloved films.

You keep forgetting that the reason they held the show in Indy was to make it centralized so that the maximum number of people in the contiguous United States would be able to attend. Having it in Indy may have been unfair to people in Hawaii and Alaska, but having it in Los Angeles is very unfair to all the fans in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, Virginia, New Hampshire.............should I go on?

Reaction score
It's not that unfair though. It's what? A 60-70 dollar difference in airfare? So you guys on the east coast can't drive to it now, you have to fly like people on the west coast had to do for the last two. Now I get to drive to celebration and you guys get to fly. But either way, I would go. AS long as it's in the continental United States, it could be held in Boston for all I care.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
swabie2424 said:
No matter where they do it... be glad that there is a convention. Celebrate! That's why they call it a "celebration".
Best quote so far in this thread.

Reaction score
The fact is no matter where it is, someone will complain, call it unfair, claim that there is some sort of bias, etc.

I like the idea of changing locations everytime, so it allows people from all over the country to get the chance to go to one. I was not able to go to any of the previous Celebrations, and will certainly go if C4 is in LA, however if C4 turns out to be in Indy again, you can count me out, but you will not see me here claiming it to be unfair or having a "midwest bias"

Reaction score
Some of the complaints sound very kiddish. I don't remember who but someone was really crying and making a fool of oneself and then says he has a family. I thought for sure he was a kid, but a man with a family acting as such? No way. This whole thing is suppose to be fun, but some of you suck everything dry of fun. If you can't go oh well. I haven't been able to go ever and now I most likely can if work permits. All my comments have been jokingly especially the one about the less of you the better. Come on people how bad is this info really?

Reaction score
The past 3 Celebrations have been very big because there was huge buzz surrounding new prequel films each time around. Since Celebration 4 doesn't have this luxury it most likely would have less people attending to begin with and isolating it on the west coast just makes the potential number of attendees even smaller. I don't know what kind of turnout they're expecting next time around, but I'd be surprised if it's half the number of people that went to Indy last year. In some ways, that's not necessarily bad(less crowded, shorter lines, etc), but you also won't have as many cool costumes, possibly less vendors and an overall less exciting event. Just something to think about.

Reaction score
Why do so many think C4 will have 1/2 the attendance due to location? SDCC doesn't have a problem raking them in. No matter where C4 is there will probably be less regular people going because there's no film to back it up. The true Fans will always hit the conventions, I know I will.

Reaction score
The fact that whether or not I don't like where C4 is going to be held is one thing. However, the plain truth of the matter is that it doesn't take a Brainiac rocket scientist to figure out that the event is no longer centrally located; pure and simple.

Hey, wouldn't y'all be mighty ticked off if the much-beloved San Diego Comic Con was moved to New York City? Go and hop on an airplane for that? You shouldn't have to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Duh! That's why the SDCC isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Somewhere along the way, somebody at Lucasfilm and/or Gen Con, or both, thought of this wonderful way to decentralize something that worked just fine in Indianapolis(twice, I might add) and alienate just about everyone outside of a reasonable day's driving distance of 1000 miles.

Not to mention that it's going to be held on and around Memorial Day(smart
) and that it's so very close to San Diego in terms of time of year and distance, that one has to wonder just what in the hell were they thinking?

Reaction score
Brent72 said:
isolating it on the west coast just makes the potential number of attendees even smaller.

...you also won't have as many cool costumes, possibly less vendors and an overall less exciting event. Just something to think about.
Brent, I know you disagree with the west coast thing here. I'm not writing to argue with you about "central" location. I see the logic in that. But I'm in complete disagreement with your above claims that the event will suffer for it overall.

Forgetting the fact that you are claiming the west coast makes this event "isolated" (as if no one east of the Rockies is allowed to come)... if this thing is in L.A., it will be friggin' packed! I mean mobbed like you can't believe. Dude, seriously... mobbed... mobbed... mobbed. The fire marshall will have to shut it down. Say it with me... M-O-B-B-E-D!

Also, I don't think there will be a shortage of vendors. Every major vendor will still be there... and the small vendors will be killing themselves to get through the doors. There are so many dealers and vendors in Southern California alone (not to mention those who will travel here) that the event will be overflowing with swag!

Reaction score
Capntarpals said:
Not to mention that it's going to be held on and around Memorial Day(smart
)

That might be even more puzzling than why they are holding it in Los Angeles. Memorial Day weekend makes absolutely no sense at all.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the real issue here is that there never were any plans for C-4 period, until afterwards folks started talking, pushing, suggesting, even pointing out there/s a 30th anniversary that year, then the TV news came into play and the Animated cartoon . . .

So it made sense to try and pull it off again, however because nobody thought ahead, the Indy location was no longer available. These things are booked way in advnace, I'm talking years, so if they never had it reserved they then needed to start looking at other venues.

This leads us to the supposed LA location.

I don't care where it is, I'm going!

Reaction score
Turbowars said:
Why do so many think C4 will have 1/2 the attendance due to location? SDCC doesn't have a problem raking them in. No matter where C4 is there will probably be less regular people going because there's no film to back it up. The true Fans will always hit the conventions, I know I will.
ComiCon isn't necessarily a fair comparison. That draws from comic, anime, toy, movie, TV and costuming fans. Celebration draws Star Wars fans. There is a huge fan base for SW but it's nowhere near the base of all those other genres combined.

Here's another comparison for you. East coast has had Dragon*Con for several years but until about 5 years ago that was it. There was no major comic convention, no Wizard World, nothing. California has had SDCC for several years and now LA has Wizard World. They added WW Philly which cancels out the LA show and just last year they added NY ComiCon which now draws like SDCC does. WW Boston ran for exactly 1 year and it's done. That leave D*C as the loan event on the East Coast that doesn't, that I know of, have a West Coast equivalent. So I dismiss all the arguments that I read in this thread about the East Coast getting all the events.

What do we get? Nothing that California doesn't. WW Philly doesn't even draw Hasbro or any of the other major manufacturers, we've never had a SW exclusive (before this year's Bust UP...yay! ), and although there have been SW autograph guests I've never seen Sansweet or any Lucasfilm reps come and give a talk. NYCC may be the solution to this but it's still to be seen.

I'm also not making this an East vs West Coast argument, it's a population argument. It doesn't matter that California has the largest amount of people, it doesn't change the fact that 80% of the US population doesn't live within driving distance of LA.

I'm surprised nobody from Texas has chimed in...talk about getting screwed. They can't realistically drive to either location and they have the second highest population in the country. Or even Florida...they're number 4 on the population list behind NY.

I'm sure that an LA Celebration will be packed, but Indy didn't have any problem drawing people either. But if you can't recognize the fact that holding a con on either coast will reduce attendance, or at least drastically alter the make-up of the attendance then you're fooling yourself. Plane tickets are already up something like 12% over last year and it's not going to go down by this time next year...it'll probably be up. The plane ticket prices I posted yesterday are probably $100 lower than what they could possibly be next May.

I should also point out that we keep talking about Indy since they held C2 and C3 but, unless I'm mistaken, I don't think they could host next year. I believe they're in the middle of a big construction project to build a new dome and I seem to recall that the current convention center will be expanded or remodeled. If they're working on it I'm not sure they'd be looking to hold a Celebration there. But, St. Louis or Chicago would be decent alternatives.

I also haven't been arguing for a centrally located convention to screw the West Coast. My argument is that the Midwest screws the least amount of people...and as I pointed out, plane tickets to Indy were cheaper coming from LA than the other way around.

E...

Reaction score
All very valid points, Eric. If what we're hearing is true, none of it makes any sense. Having it in Los Angeles on Memorial Day weekend, it's almost like they don't want a lot of people to show up.

Reaction score
Maybe having it Memorial day weekend is a good thing though. You don't have to take a vacation day on that monday so you can stay at the con all day sunday and not worry about it. It's not like it's christmas or something.

Reaction score
I may be rong here but-there actually has not been an official announcement that there is even going to be a C4 has there? I live in Ohio so Indy was great for me-if its in LA i would like to go but the plane ride, car rental, all that really doesn't enthuse me-now if Harrison Ford is gonna show up and sign, along with some others who normally don't-i will go-but its gonna have to be a really good lineup to get alot of us out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.