CE - Your thoughts?

Reaction score
matt76 said:
I really enjoyed watching Fanboys the only thing that let it down as the sound system. Was it just me or did anyone think the sounds wasn't right at times it was notable during talking parts, not sure this was cause it was a rough cut or that the base was turned up to much.
It wasn't just you. We were just behind the reserve seats at the front on the left hand side (just behind the director) and the sound levels seemed too high for me - it caused audio distortion and made some parts of the dialogue difficult to hear.

It was the audio system rather than the rough cut. Fabulous film, will be watching it at the cinema when its released.

CE2 could be held at the NEC in Birmingham - its larger, easier to get to for most people (as its central to the country). If they decide to hold it at the Excel again thats fine - but they need to use both sides of the building.

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I had Brian Doyle come to my Booth, thats "Action Figure Digest" UK reporter. It was good to finaly meet him, and have a quick chat, take pictures etc.

-Nick

Reaction score
MattCharlton said:
CE2 could be held at the NEC in Birmingham - its larger, easier to get to for most people (as its central to the country). If they decide to hold it at the Excel again thats fine - but they need to use both sides of the building.
I would like CE2 to be at Excel again, it deserves another chance to get it right. The location is stunning, very beautiful with the River Thames right next to it and the Jedi V Sith battle on Excel bridge was against an amazing backdrop. I can see why they would want to do it somewhere else in Europe but I would like the next one to be at London again and at the Excel, and, like previous posters have said, please use all of it this time!

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SteveSith said:
with the River Thames right next to it
I hate to burst your bubble but the Thames was a mile further south. It was the Royal Victoria Dock that was next to ExCel.

I hope that this doesn't affect your opinion of ExCel.

And for the record - I agree with you. ExCel would be a good place to repeat CE at some point. I'd also like the other European cities to get a bite at the cherry.

If you aren't convinced picture a nightime Jedi battle on the Eiffel Tower or the Brandenburg Gate at night.

Jeremy

Reaction score
I had a fantastic weekend and it's sparked my interest levels back up as for the last couple of years (after a house move and having to pack up my collection) it had been tailing off a bit.

It's made me want to get the spare room sorted out to display my plastic, to finish off the part collections I have and to start new ones. More important than that it's made me realize there's loads of great people involved in this hobby and it's made me want to be more social about it all instead of locking it all away as a hidden secret.

Anyhow my thoughts on the show...

The good:

Just the fact that Europe got a Celebration
The 501st and the great props that they provided & the prize draw in which I scored a RU prize
One Man Star Wars - awesome show, if you missed it you missed out
Costume Pageant - worth going just for Lego Vader & the dude on the Tauntaun
Collectors Panels - I only caught a couple but both were great
Tattoo contest - some nice ink on show (and some not so good), I wish I'd entered my upper arm Vader cover up ink now
Anybody who had the courage to dress up - respect to you all you brightened my days
Lego stand - some fantastic set ups especially the Falcon and hanger
Free medallions - I only got one but it's cool none the less
Mark Hamill - I don't care if he charged £85, it's Mark Hamill and he can do what he likes
Preview of the Clone Wars - looks awesome and I can't wait
Anything I bought, the current fave being my mini Shadow Stormtrooper helmet and plush Vader
Artwork - some great stuff on show and managed to pick my better half up a Mr Men ltd print which kept me in her good books
Propstore - a bit of a shortage of Star Wars but I love some of the stuff they had on display especially the (about £13,000?) Arnie jacket
Steve Sansweet - I see & hear about that much on the net it felt like I already knew him but it was great to see him in person
Warwick David - legend and always great entertainment
Being surrounded by people who have no issue with you being a Star Wars geek

The bad:

Lack of information - generally there was a lack of communication and you had to find some things by chance
The program was out of date and I couldn't find an up to date schedule from the staff - thanks to the guy who heard me and gave me one he had
Paying for a lanyard - a bit of a liberty in my opinion and should have been included with the ticket price
The lines for the Vader project
The Vader project - waiting for a long time maybe I expected too much but overall I was disappointed
Archives - they weren't bad as such but just small
The rapper who presented the Tattoo contest & Model-makers, he didn't seem to know anything about tattoos, modelmaking or Star Wars and was generally a pain in the backside.
Dealers could have done with more room between them as it was gridlock at time

A lot of people are banging on about the Forces being there but before you criticize I think you need something answering - did they take up space that somebody else (a Star Wars based company) was willing to pay for? I doubt it and in that case I would rather they fill the space than nothing. It gave the young kids something to do and there was no hard sell by the forces - it was about promotion not recruitment and that was aimed at the adult men there I would have thought. That a youngster might get interested is no bad thing - by the time they can join they'll realize what it's all about so no need to get all panicky about it.

I'm sure there was other stuff as well but overall I think it was a massive success, sure their were problems but it was a first and most firsts have issues - let's hope we get another and that lessons are learnt.

Reaction score
Malc said:
A lot of people are banging on about the Forces being there but before you criticize I think you need something answering - did they take up space that somebody else (a Star Wars based company) was willing to pay for? I doubt it and in that case I would rather they fill the space than nothing.
Malc said:
The bad:

Archives - they weren't bad as such but just small
I think you just answered your own question. 99% of the feedback I had was concerning the location and the size and space I had to create The Palitoy Archive. Most people could not figure out why an exhibition unique to the event was in the most tucked up, out of the way place with no sinage pointing to it - and for a lot of people, it was the highlight of their event too.

I've got no probs with the Forces there, as they provided entertainment to the event in the form of bands etc, however giving space to non-Star Wars exhibits over those that are hidden away isn't helpful. I know there are wider implications and organisational issues connected to it, but thought I'd offer a different perspective for a Star Wars event, rather than the political one.

I would have given my right arm for more space, I'm sure more people would have seen it and you'd be happier that the Archives were not so small.

Dave.

Reaction score
Aplogies I was talking about the Lucasfilm Archives (was that the 4 heads in a dome downstairs in the Platinum rooms?), no critism of the Palitoys was intended.

But if that's the case then I stand corrected and I'd rather have had your room downstairs (and bigger if you wanted more space) where everybody could have seen it. Unfortunatley I missed it, I noticed you when I went to the tattoo talk and was going to come back but then forgot which if yould been given downstairs space I'm sure me and many others wouldn't have done.

Reaction score
Wasn't there an actor from Red Dwarf at his own stall? I thought that was inappropriate. It's not a SciFi con after all.

Reaction score
Yeah he was opposite my booth, with another actor from "Red Dwarf"

The next day at the same booth had Colin Baker (Dr Who), and Paul Darrow from Blakes 7. There was even the guy who played Squid head a few rows down, at his own booth.

To me, it just add's a little extra somthing to the day.

-Nick

Reaction score
I had a great time. I spent 98-99% of my time in the autograph hall. I got a lot of autographs and took a ton of pictures.

Reaction score
BradG says---
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
and took a ton of pictures

[/QUOTE]

Picture?!?!?!?
.......... Let's see pictures!!!

Reaction score
Maybe this has been covered elsewhere but I haven't seen it. Sylvius and I spoke about there being a DVD of the event. There were certainly cameras involved at the official side. Does anyone know if this is in the pipeline? I think it would be worth a tenner for the nostalgia alone.

Reaction score
I agree about the tatoo comp, it was great fun, but good grief is was so badly hosted! That rapper fella was the worst presenter I have ever seen, asking the same three uninspiring questions to every competitor. "how long have you had it?" "Did it hurt?" "how many sittings did you have?" and to top it off asking one girl if she went septic.Nice. I cant belive they let him host two things.

Yeah the red dwaf thing was odd, though when I walked past they both looked bored as nobody was coming up to them, hardly a suprise though.

Reaction score
Yes, that rapper bloke was a disgrace and should never, ever be allowed to host anything again. I rather suspect he's never actually seen Star Wars for one thing, and he used the F-Word during the John Mollow talk which with Children around, wasn't really wise. Apparantly he was chosen by Mary Franklin of Lucasfilm.

Reaction score
Yeah that guy was dreadful...

He made Warwick Davis look like Parkinson. I thought Mr Davis did a splendid impression of Alan Partridge with some truly stinking intros. Favorate being during in mint imperials on friday morning he brought on some guests by saying "lets hope they dont get too hot under the coller, as I welcome..." Genuis!

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
David_Tree said:
[99% of the feedback I had was concerning the location and the size and space I had to create The Palitoy Archive.
I think Malc was referring to the Lucasfilm Archives, Dave.

ds9619 said:
Sylvius and I spoke about there being a DVD of the event.
There were a lot of camera crews there - mostly from UK/European TV channels. If LFL had their own unit thee then I hope the footage will get included on a Celebration DVD with the footage they shot at C2 and C3 which, to my knowledge, has neer seen the light of day.

Personally I wasn't overjoyed to hear that the Forces would be using it as a recruiting drive, but they didn't approach it that way and the Navy stand drew context with Star Wars.

What I was really happy about was being situated right next to one of the pumps that kept the obstacle course blown up. It was a relief to have some fresh air in there.

My only complaint about the Army is that they didn't make the 501str guys go through the obstacle course. That would have been hilarious!

Jeremy

Reaction score
More to the point I wonder what the feedback was to George Lucas and what he thought

would be great if there was another CE and he actually made an appearence as to me that would make the event even extra special

Reaction score
I am now going through the 639 pictures I took at CE as well as the star wars show at the county hall. I will be posting the pictures I took on my web site very soon. I even got an obscene photo. thanks to the actress who played sly more (cant think of her name at the moment) and tim dry. Did anyone else get an obscene photo. of one of the star wars actors at CE????

Brad

Reaction score
This was my first convention so I really didn't have a term of comparison... having said that, I had a great time and I really hope we'll have another convention in Europe in a couple of years.

The Best:

- Meeting fans from all around the world!

- The One Man Star Wars Show: I'm sorry I left this for Sunday, if I had gone to see it before, I would have gone again the next day!
It was the funniest thing I saw in a long, long time and a perfect entertainment for fans, with all the in-jokes. «When I left you, I was but the learner... and Canadian»!

- The 501st parade: if they had put the Emperor in it, it would have been just like the parade scene on ROTJ!

- The Mustafar Duel reenactment: one word... wow! The guys even looked a bit like Anakin and Obi-Wan...

The worst:

- I was a little disappointed with the organization of the Collector's Panels. On the first day, no one explained that you had to sit through three half an hour panels to get a medallion, so I got up and left at the end of two.

- While I realize this is a measure of CE's success, the crowds on Saturday and Sunday were just maddening. Maybe next time they get a bigger venue?

Reaction score
The Venue itself is plenty big enough - there are halls that run further down and all along the opposite side. I believe it is a great venue - it just needs to expand into more of those halls.

Obi

Reaction score
BradG said:
I am now going through the 639 pictures I took at CE as well as the star wars show at the county hall. I will be posting the pictures I took on my web site very soon. I even got an obscene photo. thanks to the actress who played sly more (cant think of her name at the moment) and tim dry. Did anyone else get an obscene photo. of one of the star wars actors at CE????

Brad
What do you mean by obscene? Im intreagued

Reaction score
So here are some thoughts from a 'minor' signing guest's point of view.
The contract for CE was signed at C4 in LA. Barry was there, but did not bother to introduce himself or similar. Actually we never spoke to him (he doesn't answer emails either).
Long before the show, we asked to put the prices for the autographs down...no response. So we simply did it on the day ourselves, which apparently was approved of by the management, but turned out not to be.
The contract stated clearly that guests would be paid on the Sunday (last convention day) before departure.
This was done for the big guests instantly...everybody else is still waiting!
Barry is now on holiday for a few weeks and Cards Inc. promises the 'check will come tomorrow'.
As far as we are concerned, this is beyond rudeness. We turn up on time, keep the contract conditions etc. and then have to wait weeks for the money we earned? Oh I forgot our name is neither Mark Hamil nor Ray Park...that's probably why! (Note: I have nothing against either of them!!)

Sorry to sound sarcastic but it is more than a joke now.
Spending all day on the phone to get some sense out of somebody from Cards Inc. when it is clearly their job to make sure everybody gets paid.

Not impressed!
Oh and before everybody starts on about Derek Maki...it's not his fault, he's ringing Cards Inc. on a daily basis as well!

Reaction score
So, you guys did NOT get to set your prices?
Wow, this just keeps getting better and better.
I'm sorry they are giving your guys (Sans Mark and Ray) he run-around. I hope it doesn't impact too greatly whether or not you will do more conventions.

Reaction score
Jeremy said:
The organisers will be reading these threads and are going to post some replies and comments in a few days.
Looks like theyre a bit late! Whats the estimated time we can expect the explanations please?

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SirTristram said:
According to Beth6:

Long before the show, we asked to put the prices for the autographs down...no response. So we simply did it on the day ourselves,

[/QUOTE]

Unless I am reading this wrong they did get to set the prices.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Jeremy said:
SirTristram said:
According to Beth6:

Long before the show, we asked to put the prices for the autographs down...no response. So we simply did it on the day ourselves,
Unless I am reading this wrong they did get to set the prices.

Jeremy

[/QUOTE]

The rest of the line read as follows: </font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Long before the show, we asked to put the prices for the autographs down...no response. So we simply did it on the day ourselves, which apparently was approved of by the management, but turned out not to be.

[/QUOTE]

This sounded like they had to change what they set as dictated by the management. Or they were simply chided for doing it themselves. Either way, there seemed to be quite a discconnect with the guests....not least of which was with the artists. They were particularly upset.

Reaction score
Just sounds like there was no communication between the management and workforce, which kind of explains why the staff didnt seem to know what was happening.

Reaction score
Sarahjedi0 said:
Jeremy said:
The organisers will be reading these threads and are going to post some replies and comments in a few days.
Looks like theyre a bit late! Whats the estimated time we can expect the explanations please?
I highly doubt there was any intention to provide an explanation, which pretty much sums up the whole mess.

Reaction score
To clear some confusion, I guess I ddin't explain it properly.....
The prices were set for us by the organisers, we asked to lower them as we thought it was too much and a rip off for the fans. We were told that's no problem, but on the day our old high prices were back on display, so we simply changed them. Apparently the management didn't like this...

We did get paid in the end, but that was us ringing up Cards Inc. every day.
There are still some guests waiting for their money.

And not once a word from Barry!! Nothing! Not before the event, not during, not after. Guess he's still on holiday