CE - Your thoughts?

Reaction score
sounds like CE was fun! and sounds like things don't change!!

1. Lines Lines Lines
2. sounds like Ben and official pix need to make the trek to Europe!
3. I think that Slave Leia is americano. She was at the CIV master replicas party

thanx for all your posts UK Scummers

Reaction score
Gobo1979uk said:
What was the autograph/voucher thing all about. Firstly the idea of vouchers for autographs is pointless anyway. Several of the regular autograph guests also mentioned that it was a daft system. Whats wrong with money??? I don't know of any other cons where you have to buy vouchers - its just an extra queue.
I'm not sure how it worked at CE, but at some conventions, celebrity guests require a "guaranteed" signing fee to attend. The way this works is that the guest and the convention agrees to a set minimum the guest will get for their time - $5,000, or $10,000 for example. The guest then charges a certain amount for an autograph $10, $15, $20, etc. If they collect less during the weekend than their "guarantee", the convention is required to make up the difference. If they make more, they keep it all.

You'd like to think that none of the guests would be unscrupulous enough to pocket any of the money and low-ball the organizers to increase the amount they get (i.e. claim they didn't make their guarantee while pocketing $1,000 that put them over their minimum), but it's a risk many organizers won't take. That's why there's often a trusted convention volunteer sitting with the guest and/or a voucher system. Not that the guest couldn't throw away some of the vouchers if they have a guarantee, but otherwise they have to turn them in to get their money and the organizers know exactly how well they did - that also helps the organizers decide whether that guest was a big enough draw to invite them back in the future.

On the other hand, some large conventions in the US don't pay guests to attend - San Diego Comic-Con is one, and perhaps Dragon*con is the same way. That's why you'll often see the guest themself, or one of their friends taking the money, because the Con has no real financial stake in how well they do.

Reaction score
Jeremy said:
Dustin said:
baby steps.....
A very good point DLR. People expected too much, and forget that this was a first for EUrope.

But on a high note the attendance figures were better for CE than C4!

Jeremy
I doubt that the everage visitor expected too much. The people here are probably a little bit more picky than the average visitor who doesn't go to these events on a regular base. Good to hear these comments though if the organisation uses it to make the next one even better.

I had never been to a Star Wars convention (the tiny one in the Netherlands a couple of years back doesn't count
) and I had a great time.
I've been to a lot of work related conventions and this one came accross as professionally organised and well thought out.

I really liked the balance between the commercial part/vendors and activities.
There was more than enough to do for me and for my 5 year old.

How big is the change for another CE in 3 or 4 years?

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Gobo1979uk said:
What is the problem with this? i have seen playboys on sale at most other uk events.
This event was heavily marketed to families and it contained children's activity areas.

Gobo1979uk said:
Nudes like you may see in any gallery in London.
True. There is a difference between art and pR0n.

If they were provocative images then they would have asked them to be removed.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Gobo1979uk said:
Snot nosed screaming kids on sat/sun - and stupid parents.
Considering the number of visitors from the USA I was surprised to see only one massively obese person (and I think he was a Brit ;-).
I (unlike chubby chewie) do go to the gym
I for one Find this offensive as I was there with my daughter, remember you were probably once a snot nosed screaming brat!

Also I found your next comment offensive as I like the rest of my family are of the full bodied figure and are british through and through, I had no idea this forum was to give your thought about peoples children or body type I thought it was to give thoughts about CE

Mabey i'm wrong.

Anyway apart from your comments I enjoyed my time with my family and friends at Celebration Europe!

Reaction score
stevehuk said:
Gobo1979uk said:
Considering the number of visitors from the USA I was surprised to see only one massively obese person (and I think he was a Brit ;-).
I for one Find this offensive as I was there with my daughter, remember you were probably once a snot nosed screaming brat!

Also I found your next comment offensive as I like the rest of my family are of the full bodied figure and are british through and through, I had no idea this forum was to give your thought about peoples children or body type I thought it was to give thoughts about CE

Mabey i'm wrong.

Anyway apart from your comments I enjoyed my time with my family and friends at Celebration Europe!
yeah, that is offensive for anyone....

Probably a comment by a teenager, obviously without children and likely without a significant other....

Reaction score
DarthInwah said:
stevehuk said:
Gobo1979uk said:

Mabey i'm wrong.

yeah, that is offensive for anyone....

Probably a comment by a teenager, obviously without children and likely without a significant other....
Hit the nail squarely on the head there I think....someone needs to get a life I reckon!

G

Actually, toby Philpot and Daver Barclay were saying that they were told that they would have assistants but they didn't get any. This was on friday so i don't know if they got assistants later. Only a couple of the regular Guests seemed to have assistants (Matt Sloan and Kenny Baker)
but I think they were their own people. Can understand some guests finding handling money distasteful but I think assistants are a much better idea than vouchers.

[/QUOTE] Agreed and I know after going to conventions and talking to many guests, most say they are very reluctant handling money from visitors. Thats why some shows have assistants or coupon systems to counter that.

[/QUOTE]

G

[/QUOTE]I had no idea this forum was to give your thought about peoples children or body type I thought it was to give thoughts about CE

[/QUOTE]

fo·rum (fôr'əm, fōr'-)
n., pl. fo·rums also fo·ra (fôr'ə, fōr'ə).

1. A public meeting place for open discussion .
2. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.
3. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience

A forum is a place for discussion and debate. You don't have to like peoples views (or the people). Personally I find some of the recent posts criticising the army/navy involvement offensive. But everyone has a right express an opinion.

As far as I am concerned, more than anything else, CE was about the attendees. I was making comments about the attendees. Personally i think that is valid. If you don't then refer to my previous paragraph.

Please also note that I have made positive comments about a fuller figured attendee (one of the slave leias) earlier in this thread.

G

[/QUOTE] yeah, that is offensive for anyone....

[/QUOTE]

It seems that offending people on rebelscum is like shooting fish in a barrel (or gungans in a bacta tank). Since CE is over I will be going back to the more relaxed and liberal surroundings of the Showm*****s forum where people have a sense of perspective.

Just one last reply though. Sorry Cracker but your psyschological profile of me is a little off. Im 28 and have a g/f. Don't have kids but have worked with children in the NHS. I like kids - just not brats.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just signed up so I thought I'd say hi and make my first post a relevant one.

We had three day tickets. Without a doubt Friday was the best day - it was quiet
We were at the front of the queue for Mint Imperials, got straight in and managed to get in the middle on the front row. I had the pleasure of being the first person to wish the rest of the CE visitors well with the classic "May the Force be with you" when Warwick asked me to go and talk to him on stage.

We enjoyed ourselves Friday, took everything in and paid a visit to the Empire stand where one of the staff members asked me what I thought - I told him I was disappointed and I'd expected more. He seemed suprised at this and asked me to elaborate - I just explained that there didn't actually seem to be all that much there.

The army and the navy took up a third of the hall - what the hell were they doing there ffs? Come and join the navy.....yes you're in a hall full of star wars fanatics (most of them, like me are a little tubby around the mid section - the last thing we're going to do is join the navy). Just seemed a waste of space.

The lucasfilm archives......4 items in domes - I expected a walkthrough impromptu museum ala what I'd walked through in Bradford at the Art of Star Wars exhibition. Shouldn't have even warranted a mention in the publicity.

The staff at the Excel were a complete and utter farce. They were regularly upsetting fans/misinforming them, there was no co-ordination. Even the guys in red polo shirts that were organising Mark Hamill's appearance were getting very annoyed with them.

Saturday and Sunday were a nightmare - the queues were stupid. The queue went all the way around the hall....3/4 of the people in the queues did not know what the hell they were queuing up for. This could have been circumvented by use of the tannoy to announce what event was taking place on the celebrity stage next.

The worst example of this I saw was for the Indy old boys talk. The queue was huge and every seat was taken in the auditorium. There was no text on the screens to show what was taking place. As soon as people realised that it was Warwick talking to three guys about fx sequences and miniatures on the indy films all but around 200 people got up and left. This was so rude - but if people were only there for a day and thought that the ray park thing that was on just before was going to be repeated all day then who can blame them?

Nobody knew there was a schedule, nobody knew what was going on.

That aside, I had a great time and I'll go again if the rumours are true about it becoming something thats a little more regular.

Some of the US visitors I spoke to did say that the autographs were twice as expensive as CIV - should that perhaps be addressed rather than the old 1:1 £-$ conversion we see all too often?

There were also constantly people with regular orange lanyards in the hyperspace lounge - but noobody to tell them they weren't allowed to go in there.

I think at times there were too many people in the hall for it to be enjoyable. There was nothing in the North halls. It would have been expensive (I'm sure they made enough money from tickets, etc) but they could have used both side of the Excel, had a couple of stages set up with proper queing systems, signs up to state what was on next/currently, all staff singing from the same hymn sheet as it were so that they all gave out the same information and everything ran more smoothly.

Have you ever seen so many ForceFX lightsabers before? I decided not to take mine in the end.

Matt

Reaction score
No matter how you hide behind forum rules you must accept that some of the attendees (myself included) are members here and will be offended by comments made about children even if you don't have a problem with fuller figured people then you must accept that to insult the children who attended the event was out of order, I have grown up with Star Wars I was born in 1977 so I am growing old with Star Wars and it made me feel great to see the younger generation having so much fun and remembering back to my own childhood. We were all young once remember.

Just because you did not agree with the children there having fun you do not have the right to come into this forum and call the children snotty nosed screaming brats and their parents stupid!

I found that comment insulting to myself, my Wife and my Daughter!

I must say that I did agree with some of your comments about other parts of the event but I just hope in the future we can learn to accept that the Star Wars universe belongs to all ..... YOUNG & OLD (& those in the middle
)

Reaction score
I attended Fri and Saturday and aside from meeting Hamill the main highlights for me were meeting and getting autographs from those not signing in the autogrpah hall. I managed to get Lorne Peterson, Don Bies, Norman Reynolds, Robert Watts and Rick McCallum, aslo managing to get my photo taken with the last three.

Friday was great as we were able to look around the stalls and art etc freely without mad crowds of people. My only complaint was the organisation (or complete lack of it) for the Hamill que. Ive honestly never seen such a shambles in all my life. I ende up queing for almost three hours, with some people who joined the que an hour after me getting seen almost an hour before me - what a complete joke!

I was completley ignorant of the need to get a token for the photos and just gave each guest I met the autograph tokens and they all happily signed one of their photos for me, with none of them mentioning the token. I only found about it on the Saturday when Brian Muir's helper (not sure if it was his wife), mentioned it but told me not to worry about it. A special mention for Dave & Lou Elsey who were two of the nicest guests I have men at any con. They were happy to chat and told me they didnt care if they got anything else out of the event as they had just met Stuart Freeborn and that had totally made their weekend. (on a side note I was near the front of the que when Staurt and Kay went up to see Mark Hamill and it looked like quite an emotional reunion).

With the exception of Brian Muir, I managed to get all of the autographs I needed (from the hall at least) on Friday so Saturday should have been a more relaxed day, which it was up until approx 11.30 when hundreds of extra peolpe started to appear and it seemed as though we were crowded in like sardines. I did manage to see a few talks though and really enjoyed the Star Wars One Man Show and the Anthony Daniels talk. I was literally just leaving for the day when I saw a couple of people standing, getting posters out with pens in their hands. I went to see what was happening and Rick McCallum was coming out after his talk. By the time he came over to us there were quite a few of us and a lot of pushing and shoving going on which security failed to manage. However, I was lucky enough to get two pics signed and my photo tken with him so I went home very happy. Robert Watts was a true gent, I met him (and Norman) for the second day running and Robert even told me where he was likely to be on Sunday in case I had anything else I wanted signed.

I have to agree with everybody else on the extremely poor photo quality and have to say that was a major let down on a otherwise great couple of days.

I will post a link to my photos on the photo thread once I have them all uploaded, sorry if I have bored anyone by going on a bit

Reaction score
My thoughts, a really great event, loads to be ironed out for future CE events (and we have to assume there will be right?) but that happened with the original Celebration events and now look at it. I'll have a brief ramble, hopefully someone will take note.

A lack of an information area was disturbing, and finding the fan club lounge, panel room, palitoy archive, etc was tricky. Fortunatly I took the advice of C4 attendees and made time to learn my way around while it was quiet (fan club membership has many perks).

The queues should have been more organised. At one time I figured the queue for the celebrity stage (at this time snaking around the hall all the way to the exit) actually had people queuing for three different shows. That should have been controlled by the staff better but I actually think the layout was to blame as well.

I'll probably have more to say once I collect my thoughts more but I really enjoyed it despite the sat and sun crowds.

Reaction score
Why were there queues at all for the events? Did they not open the doors to the stage until mere moments before it started?

Fortunately, I didn't do any queuing. We walked straight into the LucasArts presentation, and then came out and walked into the One Man Show via the side entrance next to the Jabba dais after it had started.

One thing I did notice was a staff member just standing around at the top of one of the stairs just letting people hang around - blocking other people from coming up. There was so many free seats on the Saturday showing.

Reaction score
Jeremy said:
The organisers will be reading these threads and are going to post some replies and comments in a few days.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
there were lack of areas to grab a sit down
Haven't you been to a Celebration before? Event organisers hardly ever put down seating areas because the floor space is too expensive. There were seats out in the Boulevard though, and though I don't know what ACL surgery is I would have to question your g/f's decision about coming to such an event.

Jeremy

[/QUOTE]

I have not been to a Celebration before. I am not awash with cash to afford trips to the USA.

ACL is the same operation that many footballers have. Its reconstruction of the knee ligaments.

Regarding questioning my g/f's decision to visit, we had paid over £50 for her to go to this event in January and we were not going to throw that amount of cash away.

Just a few more seats were required in my opinion.

I doubt she will go again. She was not that impressed with some of the things on show. She thought parts of it were like being at M'robillia in Birmingham!

One final point. Why were joe public allowed in at 9.25 on Saturday and just after 9 on Sunday when i, as a FAN CLUB MEMBER, was suppose to have exclusively the first hour to browse and shop ect..????

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
jediknight49 said:
Why were joe public allowed in at 9.25 on Saturday and just after 9 on Sunday
Because the line was so huge and the managers at ExCel wanted to keep the Boulevard clear for safty reasons, they got CE organisers to open the doors early.

I'm not sure if you were aware that the Early Bird hour started early on Saurday and SUnday as well.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Finally got internet access so I can post my thoughts (been itching to talk about it all since saturday only to have internet problems at home)

I was there Saturday - got to Excel at about 10 to be greated by the largest crowd i've seen at an event like this ever - the queue was the full lenght of excel and one and a half times around the car park

Despite this hour long wait to get in, 99% of people queued patiently and chatted happily, while watching all the mini Anakins and Obi Wans batter each other around the car park with those pop up lightsable

As for the 1% of queue jumpers (you know who you are!) - i hope you all get large pointy stones in your shoes

The show itself was fantasic - although I have to admit that it was so packed up until 2ish that I had considered leaving early

Highlight no. 1:

Getting to be a rebel soldier on the battle of the Tantive IV and dying valiently and very dramatically
(sadly the missus didnt get to video the finished film - but I got a photograph and a great memory)

Highlight no. 2

Garrick Hagon - What a legend! Chatted to him for about 5 minutes and he was a real gent, possibly one of my favourite autograph experiences (and thanks to Rebelscummer Kornel for taking a photo for me with Garrick)

So many other great things, and it was great to see ThreeDarths as always, looking very harrased on his very busy stall!

Downsides:

1. Need more money for all the awesome things to buy!
2. Only had a one day ticket - wish i'd gone all three
3. Didnt manage to get into any of the talks

Overall, just a generally great time

ROLL ON CE II

Reaction score
I quick run down on my day at CE (Saturday)

04.30 Got up and headed for Glasgow Airport to catch my plane to heathrow.

08.00 Got the underground at Heathrow to Excel via the DLR

09.40 Arrived at Excel to find a great crowd and que to get in the length of the centre.

10.15 Entered the main hall and headed straight fot the rebelscum booth to collect my badge.

10.30 - 11.30 Wandered through the main stalls and picked up a MR Qui Gon LE and 2 GG Bly busts.

11.30 Feeling hungry my wife and I headed to the boulevard to get some early lunch. Glad I went early because just as I was eating the que for food was up the stairs!!

12.00 Decided to go to the Crew Talk but inly stayed about 15 mins because We could not hear anything that was said.

12.15 - 13.15 Qued for the 1 man star wars Trilogy. Only to be que jumped as I was going in by a man and his 2 kids as we were going in. I had a word with him and told him we had been queing for an hour and he just gave me abuse and marched in!!

13.15 - 14.15 One man Star Wars Trilogy.... Absolutely amazing!!!!

14.30 - 15.00 Went to the official store to buy some presents for my son and nephew. Also picked up a fridge magnet for myself

15.00 - 15.30 Sat down and had a well earned rest with a cup of tea!

15.30 - 16.00 Walked round the artist stalls and pondered a few purchases.

16.00 - 16.30 decided to go back to the official store and bought a MR Shadow trooper helmet!

16.30 - 17.30 LF Archive and Vader Helmets. Thought there would be more in the Archive

17.30 Headed back to Heathrow.

19.00 Had a nice dinner relaxing in Heathrow Airport.

21.30 Flight back to Glasgow.

00.00 Arrived back in my house!

A very long day, but worth it. I would definetly go for a three day pass the next time so I could see more talks etc.

I also think the should have used both sides of Excel and spread everything out a bit better. Saturday afternoon you could hardly move.

If you have read this far then congratulations!

Reaction score

Quite appropriate and credit to 'bbb' for posting this photo and credit to 'The Vader Project' guys.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SFBanks said:
16.30 - 17.30 LF Archive and Vader Helmets. Thought there would be more in the Archive
LFL is nervous about loaning too many of its highly valuable props out and with two travelling exhibitions (Europe and USA) currently monopolising several thousand items you have to understand that you can't have everything.

What they should have done was given out some kind of voucher for tickets to see the Exhibition. WIth that many fans in town you think they'd have made more of an effort to promote the Exhibition. All I saw was a small kiosk at the bottom of the escalators up to the Platinum level. And all that had in it was a bunch of leaflets.

Jeremy

Reaction score
We were told on the Friday that we'd get 20% off if we took our 3 day badges. Didn't think it was worth the effort, anyone that had been didn't have much good to say about it.

Doesn't sound like the exhibition was of the same standard of the "Art of Star Wars" one.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We were told on the Friday that we'd get 20%

[/QUOTE]

Jezzum, talk about good communication. You'd think that they wouldn't want the numbers huh?

Thanks for the info though.

I agree with you - AoSW was awesome. And you got a goodie bag and the ticket price was nearly half that of COunty Hall.

Jeremy

Reaction score
I think it was less than £6 when it was up here in Bradford.

They did a special event where they had a marathon (all 4 films that were out at that times - shown I-IV-V-VI and entry to the AoSW exhibition for £30.

That was a brilliant day

Just wish I'd gone to the exhibit a few more times whilst it was here. I still have the goodie bag somewhere.

Reaction score
All-in-all, I thought CE was brilliant. It had good and bad points, the bad ones mainly being it needed to be bigger, much bigger (and apparantly CE2 will be twice as big) and the rapper doing the interviewing at Plat. suite 3 was utter, utter rubbish.
The Mark Hamill panel was the best I've ever been too, and the atmosphere was fantastic.

I think everyone was surprised by the number of attendees (45,000+) and personally I'm really pleased about that (even though it meant huge over-crowding) because it secures the shows future and for a test run, they know exactly what needs to be done for CE2.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Funny thing is, I finally got to meet [censored] Vaughan, with whom I have been boun cing emails for nearly 10 years.

He is the manager of the Bradford IMAX and he put that event on

Jeremy

Reaction score
My guess is Germany

But thats me

Regards Wuher

I'll be in the beerkeller(sp)

Reaction score
Lordpercy said:
Highlight no. 1:

Getting to be a rebel soldier on the battle of the Tantive IV and dying valiently and very dramatically
(sadly the missus didnt get to video the finished film - but I got a photograph and a great memory)
I volunteered for this on the Sunday and had a great time doing the scene, I just made sure I got selected!!

Nice photo at the end and I videoed my performance on the TV screen after it!

Sylvius

Reaction score
I really enjoyed watching Fanboys the only thing that let it down as the sound system. Was it just me or did anyone think the sounds wasn't right at times it was notable during talking parts, not sure this was cause it was a rough cut or that the base was turned up to much.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sylvius said:
I volunteered for this on the Sunday
Sylvius, you made a big impact on the guys putting on the Experience. They got out your tape just to point you out to me.

Sylvius is in the bottom right of this picture.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Jeremy said:
Sylvius said:
I volunteered for this on the Sunday
Sylvius, you made a big impact on the guys putting on the Experience. They got out your tape just to point you out to me.
Jeremy
Nice that I made everyone laugh at the same time!
I'd like to thank them personally for giving me the chance to act and do a memorable scene!

I just wish I knew how to transfer my video recording to a computer! I wouldn't even know where to start!

Sylvius

On a side note, is there any way of emailing someone there to thank them personally for the opportunity given to act out the scene?

Reaction score
David_Tree said:
My thoughts in short - bloody knackering.
Same here. We only stayed in the Hotel for 2 nights, and we bought back 2 weeks worth of washing. Wife brought everything but the kitchen sink.

-Nick

Reaction score
Did anyone catch Mark Dermul's talk on fan collecting upstairs? I didnt even know when it was on but a friend said it was too full to get in and only caught some of it. Very interesting he said it was too.

Reaction score
A few of the panels were full, I tried to get into one half way through but wasn't allowed, I must say one of only four or five I missed.

I saw Mark Demuls presentation I think, which one was it again, I will only know if I know the topic.

I further thought, and it is panel related in fact. Could we have had less (or condense them down). I was keen to do nearly all of them (which I did in fact manage) but it was a bit over kill imo. Especially Friday with all those half hour ones. For me there were other things to do at CE other than the panels and I only just managed to do all I wanted to but I was rushed of my feet all weekend. Four days would have been good, I think the crowds proved that could have been pulled off.

Overall however the panels were fantastic, I didn't go to them just for the medallions, although a nice bonus. I know loads more stuff I never used to know even in areas I wouldn't have expected. All credit to the guys and gals that seemed to be there all weekend doing all the work and those giving up there time to talk about there specialist topics.

I think we needed slightly more floor space and as I mentioned before this includes a better layout.

More thoughts to come

Reaction score
My guess for CE2 is the ExCel again, but they'll use all of it. It makes sense having it there again, and although it would be fairer to have another European City host the show, it didn't stop them holding CII & CIII at the same venue. Of cause, it's far too early to speculate, but there where plenty of hints CE will return.

Reaction score
I had a total blast.Three days of pure Star Wars and meeting up with other members of the original prop community.
Personal highlight was meeting my absolute and complete hero Mark Hamill.Luke Skywalker was and remains one of my role models and to actually meet him and,more importantly I feel,for him to be such an ace guy was a fantastic moment I will never forget.He talked with me,shook my hand,signed my Norman Harrison-made Luke ROTJ saber and this is a pic i will forever treasure:

Only downsides:
Missed Charlie Ross' one man show on every day as it clashed with other things
T-Shirt sizes woefully mis-described.XL is definitely more like a medium
The Archive display was frankly a joke.Totally pitiful.I have more screen-used pieces in my damn bedroom.Three screen-used props does not an archive display make.Hugely disappointing.
Other than that the atmosphere was amazing and seeing McDiarmid at his first convention was very special.When the generator went down during the showing of Star Wars I am CONVINCED it was 400 Star Wars geeks using the force brought that thing back to life!
One last gripe is that they could have had the decency to show the theatrical edition rather than the 2004 DVD edition seeing as we WERE there celebrating the 30th anniversary of it's release.That was pretty poor form I thought.
But overall like I say I had a total blast.I have never been to a deal like this as they never have anything in Northern Ireland-no conventions at all for stuff like this.Great to be around everyone there for the same reason-the love of Star Wars.Special atmosphere for me anyway.

Reaction score
Lordpercy said:
Garrick Hagon - What a legend! Chatted to him for about 5 minutes and he was a real gent, possibly one of my favourite autograph experiences (and thanks to Rebelscummer Kornel for taking a photo for me with Garrick)
I think that was me, perhaps. Hope the photo turned out okay!

I just wanted to touch on the highlights of my two days:
  • Meeting Mark Hamill for the brief minute or so I had.
  • Talking with the guests in general. Most if not all seemed real enthused to be there.
  • Talking with the artists in the Artists Gallery, and the "Art of Ralph McQuarrie" guys. They had a limited number of artists proofs from McQ's collection for £10 - I thought that was a steal!
  • Meeting Nick from ThreeDarths with whom I've dealt with previously. His stall was one of the more busier but still took time out to have a quick chat and point me in the direction of the RS booth.
  • Getting to see fellow Scummer Nick_Macarty's customs in person, they are incredible.
  • Having a chat with Cristian and Cortney Macht from The Force Among Us.

How about the Belgian 501st? If I'm not mistaken, they were responsible for most of the props in the venue; the AT-AT, the Snowtrooper w/ E-Web, the speederbike, and the awesome Falcon lounge and corridor. It really helped with the immersion.

Reaction score
Got home around 1:30 am this morning.......after what should have been an 8 hour flight.....but ended up being an 8 hour flight with a medical emergency landing and 9 hour layover in Newfoundland while Canadian officers confiscated the plane......
(seems a young lady had a possible drug overdose due to a possible drug smuggling mishap...or so the rumors went) But we finally did arrive to the US....and I made it home....I'm exhausted...
....but very happy

CE was great. Heard that it had a bigger turnout than C4......but not sure if that's true.

I know there were problems all around the convention but I thought it was great just the same. I heard that the photos were not what had been ordered
and the printers delivered them late with no time to make any changes. What a shame for everyone. But after I frame them and hang them on my wall.....they'll look good...

Some of you were not happy with the long wait to get in. But compared to some conventions, they were short!
And at least the weather was nice. Try waiting in a long line in freezing rain, or worse...

I compared CE with the NY Com Con. After attending SDCC for a few years and then attending the NY Con last year........what a big difference. It was their first convention and NY had sooooo many problems. For one, Firemarshals shut the show down, not allowing anyone to come in. What a mess.
This year was their second convention..and NY was much improved. So, possibly like NY Com Con.......CE, being the first time con.......has some things to work out if they do another con.
Like the saying........you learn by your mistakes.
If they do have another one........I'm sure gonna try to make it!!

JediClare said: </font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Being in queues for about 41/2 hours today.....

[/QUOTE] But you got your autograph, right?? I remember at one convention......sat in line for 6 1/2 hours....and DID NOT get the autograph!

Lee_c00per said:
Weren't the people helping out in the autograph hall meant to be Malki's people? That may expalin the rudeness

[/QUOTE] Actually most of the people helping out in the autograph hall weren't Maki's. There were GenCon staff, their volunteers and Security people too. And unfortunately, with all situations where there are 'volunteers'.....sometimes they would rather have fun than do their jobs.
So some of the confussion and problems were due to those people.

Steve Sith said:
I attempted to shoot but was stopped by staff, he did have an American accent so it wouldn't have surprised me if they were Maki's drones. Sounded similar to my twang so I jokingly asked where they were from and they just walked away!

[/QUOTE] If you were stopped by someone with an American accent, they weren't Maki's guys.

JediClare asked:
Where were Jerome Blake & Angus McInnes or Mary Oyaya?????

[/QUOTE] Angus was there......sitting next to Ian Liston. I heard that Jerome wasn't feeling well and he got there late on Friday. Not sure if he was there all day on Saturday or not, but he didn't come until very, very late on Sunday.
And Mary must have canceled at the last minute...she wasn't there. I've seen her before though, so she does come to cons.

To everyone who posted pics......
Thanks! They were great. Like usual, I go to cons and hardly take any pics. Then kick myself later. So it was good to see everyone else's.

One last thing. It seemed that Mark was having a great time. I've seen him a few times before and this was the first time he appeard to be really enjoying himself. He spent time with the fans and stayed late to make sure everyone got their autograph and pics. Cool!!!