CE - Your thoughts?

Reaction score
Day 3 -
It was HOT in the Excel today - in the afternoon the temperature was positively scorching. Very surprised as I thought the whole complex was air conditioned....
Today's highlights for me -
The Ray Park talk. Warwick Davis arranged a re-inactment of Qui Gonn/Mauls death scenes with him playing Obi Wan. An audience member played Qui Gonn & some youngsters were the crew - they created the laser beam effects with cling film!!!
Now I thought I could not laugh any harder than I did yesterday at the Fett talk, but this re-inactment had me laughing just as hard. It was hysterically funny, and I
L O V E D every minute of it. Ray answered a question re his black eye seen in the dvd extras, I never realised he had trouble with a neighbour which nearly cost him a job. Anyway - his interview was very well done & interesting. I didn't get his autograph here, but will definitely be heading for his queue at the LFCC.
The Billy Dee Williams talk. He is smooth, isn't he? Maki did the interviewing - his mobile went off in the middle of it. Ironic isn't it, especially as the audience were told to switch theirs off. I enjoyed his interview though. Billy also did some singing (can't remember the song at the mo).
Got my autographs from Billy - took about 40 minutes. The queues for Prowse/Bullock & Park seemed quite long over lunch and into the afternoon. Was definitely not surpised with Bullock & Park as they are just so lovely.
Lows
Didn't get to see the one man Star Wars show
. I did over hear bits of it over the three days so I guess it is not all bad.
Missed out on the fan club lounge meet & greet today as I felt ill (with the heat). It was even hotter down where the lounge was...... So I didn't get to the lounge at all during CE.
Where was Jerome Blake & Mary Oyoya? Why where there not notices telling us what had happened? Especially when Jerome's sign was left up the entire weekend.
Angus McInnes photos were so bad I didn't bother with an autograph.

In summary, today was great - just as good as yesterday & Monday. I got to meet & get autos with Hamill on Friday, Rick on Saturday and Billy on Wednesday, amongst others.
The autograph coupons were a joke. Some celebrities were obviously unhappy with the prices and some didn't accept coupons for their photographs ( I guess as the quality was so bad). Every Star Wars celeb I met seemed genuine and nice. I wish the autograph hall had been better arranged (OPX style). If CE does return to the UK (and I hope it does) I pray they get Ben on board. I felt sorry for some of the signers with no queues. God if they'd had great photo selections and a more reasonable price I am sure they would have been in demand. It is a shame - a real shame.
I didn't get to do everything I wanted to over the 3 days. There just wasn't enough hours in the day. I've lost count of how many queues I stood in, and how many cool clones/stormtroopers I saw. I thought I had lost my mind due to the heat when I say a butch looking ANH Leia with messy buns and thick black hairy legs & sandals in the Waterfront canteen today.........until I realised it was a man!!!!! Did anyone else see the chap walking round Friday & Saturday with a full length winter coat on? Don't know how he coped in today's heat.

I met some great fellow fans and enjoyed our chats (during the queues mostly). I've never seen so many lightsabers before in my life.
Feel a bit low now the whole thing is over - I'd been looking forward to it ever since it was announced. I wish that Lucasfilm would realsie all the celeb interviews on a DVD or via StaWars.com
With first class fan friendly celebs (Davis/Bullock/Logan/Park/Hamill/McCallum/Wood etc etc) the Star Wars legacy will certainly live on. Can't wait for The Clone Wars, am even more excited about the live action series (so hope it features Boba). I even felt like a kid again during the convention - the magic and spine tingles I got as a youngster when I first saw the movie resurfaced again.
For a first attempt at a Celebration convention, I don't think Europe did so bad. They need to do some tweaks though to iron out the kinks. But from what people said about C1, it was to be expected.

Reaction score
I heard from friends that went Saturday and Sunday, they said similar things as already said above, more rude staff, more Harry Potter dealers and more confusion with the autograph lines and coupon system. The photos were terrible quality, they were so thin they would wrinkle within 1 month of storage in an album or frame guaranteed.
Its a pity to see that only a handful of the guests were in demand, most of us on the forums were telling CE management and they didnt listen, citing that theres 'so much other things to do'. Although true in part, the 'other things' of interest were largely thanks to the talent of the guys giving performances on stage and not thanks to the management, their rude staff or most of the cowboy dealers.
I agree with JediClare I hope Official Pix take over next time or even Showmasters, anyone with a bit of prior knowledge of organising shows and will actually listen to the public's views.

Reaction score
Two of the guests I went to meet refused to take my photo token and gave me the picture for free because they were upset with the quality of the photos...had to agree with them. Very poor quality.

Reaction score
I just went on Saturday and had a blast. I didn't get around to seeing the two events I most wanted to see (the crew talk and modelmaking) but did see the LucasArts presentation and The One Man Show, which was a real highlight for me. Absolutely hilarious. Twin sister!

I was a bit mystified why they didn't use the other half of Excel and give everyone some much needed space. There was a 10 minute line to get tickets, and then a 30 minute line to get into the hall.

There was some disappointment on my part for not being able to see any of the signing guests. They were all positioned as far from the hall entrance as possible - obscured by a whole host of people in queues.

The big props were a great touch though, and a big thanks must go to all the folks who dressed up. The Art Show was great as well, and I picked up a print from Cat Staggs.

Unfortunately, the art show folks ran out of the smaller tubes half way through Saturday. Since many of the prints were of the small to medium size, they should have anticipated the demand better.

Reaction score
lkraan said:
Just came back and me and my son had a blast!
We're completely wrecked now since we flew up and down today.
Didn't get to do everything I wanted to to but had a blast anyways.
Expected a lot of people to come but didn't expect it this busy.

Some more space between dealers I agree with because it was just way too packed to shop comfortably. Actually maybe a good thing since I already spend more than enough

Oh yeah....more Slave Leia's!!!

Dude, is that your hand on her @SS?

Reaction score
Well it was my first convention in over 10 years and I will be honest and say that it was a mostly hollow experience - partly my fault really.

Good Points
- Seeing all the costumes and the effort that people had gone to.
- Seeing kids enjoying themselves.
- A good turn out
- Had a 20 minute chat with Dave Barclay and Toby Philpott - very nice guys!
- Got to put faces (and say hi) to a few names I've known online.

Bad Points
- Took me 55 mins to get in! A huge queue that took me 15 minutes to find the back of!
- Too many queues - but I guess that can't be helped.
- Rude staff who clearly didn't have a clue what they were doing.
- Bad design of the autograph area. If you didn't want to join the queue, you simply couldn't see any of the 'stars'. The queue should also have taken people by the other 'stars'. When I spoke to Dave and Toby nobody was in their queue. They were simply ingnored and very bored with it all.
- Queued for an hour to see 'one man star wars'. Didn't get in, so waited a further hour to see Anthony Daniels. After only 15 minutes of Mr.Daniels mortifying display, we just had to leave. Making the audience clap him and welcome him for over 10 minutes was just unbearable. Perhaps he doesn't get enough love from home. I actually thought he was slightly sloshed. Very weird indeed.
- Not enough info on what was where. For one, nobody could tell me where I had to go to find the queue to get my Hyperspace landyard. Perhaps I should have done a little more reseach.
- The vast majority of the floorspace was taken up by traders.
- I was sickened by the presence of the Army and Navy. "Do you kids enjoy watching people killed on films and games? Wanna do it for real?" Very distasteful and cast a real shadow over what was otherwise a family event.

Well I certainly learned a lesson. I should have gone on friday.

Reaction score
I had a great time all 3 day although i had to eave early today and missed Lando.
Went to alot of talks which were great and had some nice noodles.
The one thing i did not like was the rapper DJ million dollar or something like that, cool, great, wow every sentance they needed another Warwick as he was great.

Me and some other people were waiting in the queue for Rick and as we started to move and come round the corner NO QUEUE. We been waiting in a queue on the other side of the excel watching the Mustafar fight and had not relised the queue was already moving, run alway there just in time to get in. 400 episode yes please.

Lez

Reaction score
I went today with my little daughter, arrived around mid day & pleased to say no queues getting in.

This being a first for both of us it was some what confusion in the least to know what was going on & where. Yes I printed off my little schedule & managed to visit one of two areas but the time it was taking just queuing up limited us to what we could do & see.

Today was so hot it was uncomfortable.

Have no idea what the Army thing was all about, I went there for Star Wars & paid good money, my daughter seemed impressed with it but not after seeing the 150 metre que to spend about 30 seconds on it, same goes for the climbing wall. Perhaps this should have just been called the kids zone as to be fair some alturnmate distraction is required for some of the family that do get dragged along.

I did have a good day, now wished I had gone over a few days which will have enable me to see a lot more of the talks.

Was nice meeting up with Jeremy & Josie & thanks for the Rebescum badge, hope everyone manage to picks there's up.

Reaction score
JambeDavdar said:
I should have gone on friday.
I wished you'd been there Saturday, and in the Rick McCallum talk. It would have been a perfect opportunity to give him copies of your documentary dvd's.

I also agree about the lack of information on the schedule/activities. When I attempted to find my way to the fan club lounge even the staff couldn't tell me where it was!!!

Reaction score
JambeDavdar said:
- I was absolutely sickened by the presence of the Army and Navy. "Do you kids enjoy watching people killed on films and games? Wanna do it for real?" Very distasteful and cast a real shadow over what was otherwise a family event.
I hardly think that was the line of thinking. They were targetting young men from 17 to 30 attending the show - of which there were thousands. The bouncing castle was a bit odd of course, but I don't doubt that it was a lot of fun for kids.

JambeDavdar said:
Well I certainly learned a lesson. I should have gone on friday.
I now realise I should have gone two days instead of one. I was unable to attend the Saturday events I wanted because there were too many things in the main hall to do, and it was difficult to time things well. Hearing about how good the Hamill talk was has also been a bit disheartening. Friday would have been excellent for all main hall stuff (less crowded too).

Having said that, I did go to the LSO concert on Friday night, and that was absolutely fantastic. Great music, and a solid half hour or so of Star Wars music - where the crowd went wild!

Reaction score
I went on Saturday and had a good time the highlight being the Tattoo show. It was Great to meet Shane, and see everyones Star Wars tattoos!

The downside of the event was the queing. When i first arrived at the show around 9.30am i joined a short line and entered S1.
I then visited the Scummers stall, picked up my badge from Jeremy, thanks! next i bought the exclusive McQuarrie figs had a quick look around and went out S4 to register in the Platinum Suite for the Tattoo comp.

When i came back downstairs at 11.30am to go in S1 again, i discovered to my horror the queue was now snaking outside the carparks and through the unused halls. it was awfull.

Aside the queues i had a really good Star Wars day

Reaction score
The queues were awful on the Saturday, it ended up just being a shopping trip for me! If you were willing to lose most of your day then you could have got into the celebrity stage!

Did anyone go to the model making talk in the platinum stage? The presenter was terrible, "WOW" "AMAZING", some fella that wants to be a rapper apparently!

Reaction score
JediClare said:
JambeDavdar said:
I should have gone on friday.
I wished you'd been there Saturday, and in the Rick McCallum talk. It would have been a perfect opportunity to give him copies of your documentary dvd's.
I should have added that I gave the Jabba crew copies of my docos. Dave Barclay in particular was a very nice guy. Toby was also very accomodating but has been ever since I contacted him when I was making 'Returning to Jedi'.

I should also say that the group of friends I spent the day with were very disheartened very quickly. So by the time I met up with them they pretty much wanted to leave. So I think I was dragged down with them. I wish I had managed to call Scott (Aficionado) back, but my phone ran out of battery and my only option would have been to carry on alone, something I wasn't very keen on. Many regrets really. Oh well. We live and learn.

Reaction score
Well i had a great weekend. Had a 3 day ticket and loved every minute. Friday was the best day. Lots of room to move around and could spend lots of time at the dealer tables without getting smacked into by an evil mother using her buggy as a weapon.

Saturday was too packed but i spent most of the day in the celebrity talk stage to avoid the masses. Sunday was a bit better but it deffo felt like the event was winding down

Highlights for me included the McCallum talk (amazing) and the Hamill talk. The Billy Dee Williams talk was one of the oddest things ive ever seen. I really dont get that man. He was asked some really good questions and just brushed them aside, even replying to one question with 'i dont really care' Way to go Billy, really added to your 'amazing' reputation with fans
Not too keen on the guy who conducted the talk either. I knew Maki had a bad rep and now i can see why

Picked up some great bargains and loved the overall atmosphere of the event. Met some cool people too which is always a bonus

I for one hope they do another Celebration next year. Ive been going to conventions for a long time and this is the first one in years where i had a genuine buzz about the event. I really had a great time

Reaction score
Well, I take back what I said. Wasn't looking forward to it that much....indeed. Absolutely loved the two days (Sat and Sun) that I was there. Now that I am finally back home it's a bit of an anti climax and wished that it was all happening again this weekend but alas no.

Barry did a wonderful job and clearly there seemed to be more on offer than just what was on the listings i.e the general atmosphere. I was so impressed with the amount of people who travelled there seeing T shirts for the German and Polish garrisons. My kiddo also spoke briefly with Allison Sohn (mutual love of Stormtroopers) and found her to be very approachable. Also a huge thanks to Mr Bulloch for very kindly posing for a photo with my son when he was required elsewhere. As I have said thoroughly enjoyed it!!

Now for the negative points, what benefits other than early entry was there for the fan club members? Nothing that I saw anyway, but saying that early entry was an absolute bonus. I agree that the army and Navy shouldn't have been there. I was there with my 5 year old and he now thinks if he joins the navy he will get to battle on Geonosis. Wasn't impressed with that. Also didn't like the layout for the Tantive IV exhibit. There just seemed to be a huge throng of people at the front always hogging what view there was and when we finally did get to the front found that the 'crew' members were always spoiling photo shots by being in the way. In relation to the remarks about rudeness the only two occasions that I saw were (and dare I say it) American ladies. One lady refused to get out of the way of marching stormtroopers (idiot) and recieved a sore shoulder for her efforts and one didn't like being nudged out of the way for again, marching stormtroopers "don't push me, don't push me" she shrieked. Well get out of the bloody way then, everbody else managed.

I wasn't sure if I would travel overseas to go to one of these but now that I have experienced it I probably would.

Thanks everbody concerned for such a great weekend.

Reaction score
Wow!!! What a fantastic weekend
I am so knackared after it all. There were so many highlights for me man i'm still buzzing. I was there from thursday to help set up. And from the start it was amazing. Within the first half hr i had already shoke hands with steve sansweet what a top bloke, and mark hamill(
WOW)What a nice guy!!!. Then just wandered round watching everything getting set up.

I was working up in the Palitoy Archives for david tree and spent the most treasured days of my life in there. If any of you missed this room you missed a cracker. Just an amazing room with the most beautifull palitoy figures and toy displays. Spent it with some great friends and met plenty of new ones. Showing simon pegg round the archives on sunday was a certain highlight such a nich guy and very clued up on vintage sw. And also having steve sansweet come in and thanking us for the work we were doing and a general chat and i got my collectors excycopedia signed

Bumped into charles ross in the corridors and had a good chat and a laugh love that guy to bits shame i could'nt catch the show this weekend sorry charlie maybe next time.
On the saturday met rik macullum and got my a picture and autograph took with him.
Man i could go on and on and to say thanks everyone for making my weekend a blinder and Mark cheers for that swap mate looks like i wont be having that one night with your beautifull lady, Doh!!!! Cheers mate.

Reaction score
My thoughts? Absolutely amazing!!!!

I was one of the volunteer staffers over the weekend and despite being very hard work and missing the two events that I really wanted to see (McCallum & Daniels) I still thought that it was one of the greatest weekends I have ever had.

I'll be very honest here to I don't know where Derek Maki gets his bad rep from. Truly. I had to interact with the guy all weekend and at no point was he anything but friendly and curteous towards me.

I had the unenviable job of wrangling the Mark Hamill queue on Saturday afternoon and trying to repair the complete hash that the Excel security staff had made of it. Keeping 700 people calm, updated and happy (as they could be) for 5 hours was certainly not something that I will forget for a very long time.

I hope if you were in the queue I made things a little easier for you.

Even with this potential flashpoint between Coolwaters and the Volunteer staff Derek was amazing in keeping Mark and the fans happy.

A special shout out must go to Danny from Coolwaters for keeping me updated with the situation throughout the day so that I could relay it on.

So there you go folks - derek Maki - Great Guy! Spread the word. I'm sure that a lot of the people who slag Derek on this board have never even taken the time to talk to him or realise what a tough gig he has. Remember, it was only because of Derek that ANYONE got to meet Mark on Friday or Saturday and for that I am certainly grateful.

I did feel sorry for the Artist Alley folks as they certainly seemed, to me, to be shoved out of the way with nothing really to point you towards them and I'm sure a lot of folks missed out on getting some truly wonderful pieces from them.

Dealers weren't really up to scratch to be honest. The usual suspects, not really anything groundbreaking but I did pick up some real bargains so it's all good.

Costumes? Excellent. Really great to see a lot of kids dressed up over the weekend.

The only downside for me was the bald guy in the balck combat pants in the Platinum Suite over the weekend. He was SO rude. At one point went up there to see if they needed any assistance for the Clone Wars session. I had my pass on and my crew shirt and stepped through the door 5 minutes before they let the public in and this guy came screaming up to me shouting 'GET OUT, GET OUT' in my face and generally being a bit of a c@ck. I really had to reign myself in to prevent a huge argument from starting. I can't believe some people can be so rude.

Props to Barry & Crew for organising it, Sarah and all at ImIE for sorting the volunteers out, Jeremy for the Rebelscum passes (very cool), all the scummers and other star wars fans that I spoke to over the weekend for truly making it feel like a community and lastly for Unclegeorge for giving the nod for a European convention.

See you in 2009?....

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I only went on the Sunday. Overall we had a great time, as this was our first Star Wars convention. Here are our high points and low points:

Highs:

Gus Lopez's un-produced Star Wars toys talk.
David Tree's Palitoy room.
The medallions given out in the collectors panels.
The Lucasfilm Archive.
The Lego stand.
All the staff at the Rebelscum stand. Thanks for the badge Dan!

Lows:

Having to queue for everything for hours.
Missing Friday and Saturday.
Toys priced far too high.
Not enough vintage sellers.
Stands crammed together, even though there was loads of space left in the hall.
Not enough slave Leia's!

I think next time we'll go for all 3 days, as it's a great event, but can't be seen in one day. Cheers.

Reaction score
I agree with many of the plus and minus points people have listed on the forum re queues, costs, auto Hall, security ect..

My main complaint was the Guest Theatre & Tanative IV experience.

People being allowed into the show 10 minutes after it had started. Even shows that were 15 mins late, people arrived late. people leaving in droves during the talks, disturbing everyone around and in front of them.Sound level of the show was low, not loud enough.

The Tanative IV was far too close and loud to the Theatre. Really struggled at times to hear the talks. The sound of the Experience was over playing what the guests wee trying to say.

This needs working on for the next CE show

G

Thoughts On Celebration Europe
Just thought I would throw in my thoughts. As if anyone cares ;-)

Bad Points
Security and CE staff didn' have a clue.

Poorly organised queuing.

What was the autograph/voucher thing all about. Firstly the idea of vouchers for autographs is pointless anyway. Several of the regular autograph guests also mentioned that it was a daft system. Whats wrong with money??? I don't know of any other cons where you have to buy vouchers - its just an extra queue. Added to this you had to get a photo ticket for £3 which wasnt advertised anywhere at the event or mentioned by the staff selling tickets. Some of the guests didn't really know about it either.

One of the worst things was the quality of the photos. The actual print quality was ok but the paper was the same as posters (not quite tissue paper as some have said) rather than photo paper. I ordered my own pics from a website but unfortunately they didn't arrive in time.

The venue was ok but did anyone venture into the surrounding area? What a S**t hole. I know earls court isn't available because of a contract with showmasters but it's a shame there wasn't somewhere nicer - especially when there were so many international visitors there. Not really a great first impression of England.

Snot nosed screaming kids on sat/sun - and stupid parents.

Never did find the SG rooms.

Mary Oyaya didn't turn up AGAIN! Has anyone ever been to an event where she did turn up. I remember her dropping out of an event before and whe it was announced on the website the reason for her not attending was given as 'Total Unprofessionalism' ;-) None of the work conflicts or unforseen circumstance that they normally site.

Good Points
Decent number of guests (finally).

Shannon McRandal was fit :)

Sandi Finlay was charming - despite jetlag.

Lots of costumed people. Thanx you made the event a lot more colourful.

Exhibition hall looked good with all the prop recreations.

Different exhibits aimed at different age groups. Lego stands, assault course snowspeeder photo op for kids. Loads of other stuff for older attendees.

Random thoughts
Lots of costumed people but obviously a lot were just people with their own costumes rather than members of the various garrisons. It was a bit dissapointing when the took their helmets off to reveal just your average geek underneath. I know UK garrison say that helmeted members cannot take their helmets off in public and have to stay in character when in costume. I think it would be good to extend this as a code of conduct to all costumed visitiors.

Considering the number of visitors from the USA I was surprised to see only one massively obese person (and I think he was a Brit ;-).

I thought the slave leias were all great. Takes a lot of guts to wear one of those bikinis even when you do have a good body. Big respect to the 'slightly curvier' lady in the Leia bikini. I loved all of them but for those of us, like me, who like the larger lady, it put a smile on my face.

Lots more costumes on show than your average UK con. Think the Americans go in for it a lot more than us in the UK (hope you didn't have too much trouble getting those blasters through airport security). Did anyone notice that visitors from different countries seemed to dress as certain groups. I may be reading too much into this but does anyone else think it was a bit weird to have so many Germans dressed in imperial officer uniforms which were originally based on WWII german officer uniforms. I mean, there isn't anything wrong with if as such, but you would have thought that they would have realised the implications of this and chosen another costume.

One thing that did occur to me when I was daydreaming whilst standing in one of the many queues...Also for that matter does anyone know of any small people who go to events as jawas/gonk droids/ugnauts because that would be freakin' cool. All the kids there seemed to be in jedi/vader/clontrooper costumes - What about it UK garrison - How bout at one event dressing up all your kids as jawas. Who wouldn't want to see a dozen life size jawas running around?. Im sure the kids would get a kick out of people wanting a pics with them too.

What happened to Seth Mcfarlane? Was he there?

Whats the issue with the Army & Navy being there? Its Star WARS celebration. Anyone notice the key word there? Anyone notice all the people in costumes at CE with guns? Did the rebel alliance win with diplomacy?Did you cheer when luke blew up the death star and killed several million of people?
One for the reason was to provide the assault course to keep the kids occupied. I was more offended by the anti-war vader mask in the vader helmet gallery. All you hippies seem to be offended by the mere notion of the millitary. You need to get a grip.

Anyone notice one of the chewies needed to spend more time in the local kashyyyk gym ;-)

I think I need a costume. I (unlike chubby chewie) do go to the gym so im too bulky to fit in a stormtrooper costume. Any ideas anyone?

Reaction score
Gobo1979uk said:
I (unlike chubby chewie) do go to the gym so im too bulky to fit in a stormtrooper costume. Any ideas anyone?
Where was he? Was he near the exit in the fan section?

Reaction score
Well, I had a great time, really glad I decided to go in the end. Photos here... Webshots CE PIcs

On Friday I arrived too late for the Imperial actors talk, so missed the Michael Sheard tribute, which was a shame. I went first to the autograph area, was able to have a quick chat to many of the guests I know, and got autographs from several cast and crew who I'd not met before. I then had a look round the main hall - thought this was quite commercial with a lot of shops, corporate stands and even the army and navy (which I have to say seemed a bit odd). The best parts were the droid builders area, the artists area (where I bought a nice Ralph McQuarrie print), and the Dagobah, Millenium Falcon and Tantive IV stage areas. The Tantive IV was particularly impressive, with the UKG assisting members of the public to recreate the filming of the opening scenes from Star Wars. There were also a number of fan made displays, including a fantastic Jabba with the Rebo Band, an AT-AT, X-wing, snowspeeder (got a nice pic of my friend Dom in his pilot outfit with that one!), speeder bike, and a snowtrooper with cannon, as well as an original prop Podracer. One thing that stood out was the number of people in costume, ranging from the UKG and other European clubs, to home-made outfits of all kinds. I've never seen so many Master Replicas lightsabres! In the South Gallery, I had a good look at the fantastic Palitoy archive - congrats to all responsible for that, I saw pieces I didn't even know about. I then managed to get into the Mark Hamill talk despite a huge queue, and also spent an hour and a half in the fan club lounge chatting with ILM modelmakers Lorne Peterson and Danny Wagner - Lorne especially is a great guy to talk to with loads of stories.

On Friday evening the opening ceremony was held, with Steve Sansweet from Lucasfilm introducing Mark Hamill and Ian McDiarmid, and I then rushed off to Canary Wharf to see the London Symphony Orchestra playing a concert of movie themes including half an hour of Star Wars music.

Saturday was more of the same - I got in an hour early thanks to my fan club membership (turned out to have been an excellent decision to sign up last week!), then spent 3 hours queuing for Mark Hamill's autograph but had chance for a quick chat and a photo when I met him. I had a good look at the Lucasfilm props ( shame there were only half a dozen items). It was great to see David Coulthard's Red Bull Formula 1 car in the Star Wars livery, from the Monaco Grand Prix a couple of years ago. There was also an art exhibit of customized Vader helmets by various artists, which was interesting if a little bizarre! I also had chance to talk with Norman Reynolds (original trilogy production designer) in the fan club lounge, and to hear Rick McCallum's talk on producing the prequels - as well as catching him for an autograph. It was also nice to spend a bit more time talking to some of the actors and crew members in the autograph area, especially Jay Lag'aia (Captain Typho), Dave Barclay (Jabba puppeteer), Michael Culver (Captain Needa), and Dave & Lou Elsey (creature shop). Outside, I caught the UKG setting up for their group photo, which was impressive, although meant that I missed the screening of the new movie Fanboys - I also missed the setting up of the Darth Vader balloon earlier in the day.

On Sunday I again arrived early to get Billy Dee Williams autograph and a photo, and visit the CE shop for souvenirs, then had more time looking round the various exhibits. Then went into BDW's talk, which was interesting - he even sang at one point! Another highlight was talking with original trilogy producer (and Jeremy Bulloch's brother) Robert Watts in the fan club lounge, before having to come away to get the coach home.

All in all an excellent weekend and I really hope they do another one in a year or two's time. The only real negatives were the poor organisation and stewarding, and the huge number of people in the main hall on the Saturday and Sunday. But otherwise the weekend was a blast!

Cheers,

Andy

Reaction score
IF I go again I will probably go for at least 2 days, the sheer amount of people and poor organisation on the Saturday meant that I could do little else but shop. I did get some nice things though

Reaction score
Gobo1979uk said:
Whats the issue with the Army & Navy being there? Its Star WARS celebration. Anyone notice the key word there? Anyone notice all the people in costumes at CE with guns? Did the rebel alliance win with diplomacy?Did you cheer when luke blew up the death star and killed several million of people?
One for the reason was to provide the assault course to keep the kids occupied. I was more offended by the anti-war vader mask in the vader helmet gallery. All you hippies seem to be offended by the mere notion of the millitary. You need to get a grip.
I am not a hippy having done my time in the British Army and now I handle guns in my Police role. I am one of the Pro Empire lobby and as such don't knock the ethos behind Military might but I, as did some other parents I spoke to, was not impressed with desperate tactics to recruit by HM Forces. Star Wars is escapism not realtity and I don't want to force that on my kiddie.

Reaction score
Well finally managed to get online to post my review of CE.
Unfortunately I thought what most have said on the forums is true. A lot of it was fun though and everyone showed the stereotype British qualities of making the best of things and have a good time. People were in good spirits and the atmosphere both outside and inside were good.

Unfortunately it seems no-one has really sat down to plan the layout of the Event. The Excel is much bigger than this, was only a small section used deliberately to make it look full inside?

One dealer had a great collection of Star Wars artwork and while flicking through his work there were also pieces showing nude females, nothing to do with Star Wars and VERY innapropriate for this event.

The Army bouncy castle! I know the Star Wars films are themes of War, hence the title but confusing fantasy with reality like this was not on. Why were the Army there recruiting anyway?

The autograph hall was a mess. No-one knew what was going on, even the staff. One rude staffmember with spiky blonde hair was told by someone to 'p*** off or you'll get whacked'. Wisely, p*** off he did. The general rude attitude was really unnecessary and i'm not accusing British folks as some of them had American accents so quite possibly Maki's 'volunteers' as noted by others. Maki himself was also rude, ushering people through as quickly as possible and ignoring people with queries. Its clear to see he's taking a slice of the fees so in-and-out was the order of the day. He's a terrible presenter too as anyone who sat in on the Billy Dee Williams talk will testify.

I have never seen such poor photos at any show worldwide, worth a written complaint to Lucasfilm on their own. Very cheap grade and worthless. The guests were bored, not many were interested in Philpot, Ankrum, Bear, Barclay, Crowley, Edmonds, McRandle (why?), Viskocil, Wagner. Some names arent on the website. Why?

Overall the negatives outweighed the positives. Most of the faults are basic and should have been identified in the planning stage, if there was one. I would like to hear the official explanation for all the above, especially for the somewhat tired guest list and cheap and nasty photos. I get the impression from previous posts from the organisers that they have a 'I know best' attitude. They dont and its now been proven. Do we get an explanation?

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a great experience at CE, and my only negative feeling was that I didn't have enough time to spend at the RS booth to meet with everyone who came around. SOrry for not making the effort to dress the stand up more, but (as many of you might know) all ourpromo material got delayed by USPS.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
One dealer had a great collection of Star Wars artwork and while flicking through his work there were also pieces showing nude females, nothing to do with Star Wars and VERY innapropriate for this event.

[/QUOTE]

This should have been reported to CE staff, or even brought to my attention. If you know who the offending dealer is please PM me their details and I'll pass it up the ladder. I'll also let CE/IMIE know about the rude volunteer in the auto hall.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Overall the negatives outweighed the positives. Most of the faults are basic and should have been identified in the planning stage, if there was one. I would like to hear the official explanation for all the above, especially for the somewhat tired guest list and cheap and nasty photos. I get the impression from previous posts from the organisers that they have a 'I know best' attitude. They dont and its now been proven. Do we get an explanation?

[/QUOTE]

I too would like to hear what the organisers have to say about the comments people are making.

90% of the comments are about the same things, so its quite clear we all have the same issues. Its not like its one or two people saying things, it's a large collective.

I had one other point to mention, and that was there were lack of areas to grab a sit down. My legs were aching from all the queuing, and it was especially difficult for my g/f (who has had ACL surgery recently). We found only the small area near the food stands to sit. Could have done with another area.

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The organisers will be reading these threads and are going to post some replies and comments in a few days.

there were lack of areas to grab a sit down

[/QUOTE]

Haven't you been to a Celebration before? Event organisers hardly ever put down seating areas because the floor space is too expensive. There were seats out in the Boulevard though, and though I don't know what ACL surgery is I would have to question your g/f's decision about coming to such an event.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Jeremy said:
This should have been reported to CE staff, or even brought to my attention. If you know who the offending dealer is please PM me their details and I'll pass it up the ladder. I'll also let CE/IMIE know about the rude volunteer in the auto hall.

Jeremy

[/QUOTE]

I spotted a dealer that had naked women drawings granted nothing wrong with it but there is a time and place for it and an event like this is not the place. His stand was near the top near the CE shop it was one of the end stalls, but I can't remember what it was called. His 'Naked Ladies' was showing on the outside/end of the stall so if you was walking past and happened to look you had no choice to seem them.

I couldn't find your stand, I asked loads of people and they just looked at me blankley, I really wanted to meet and say hello and get my badge

Reaction score
The main problem with the CE stewards/volunteers (although abbviously not all of them - I'd have wilfully slapped the spiky blond for you!) was trhat whilst there were many volunteers signed up a lot of them jumped ship as soon as they realised that they'd have to do a bit of work leaving a relatively small group of us to work our bottoms off and there not being as many people around as would have been nice.

John Dixon especially who was the floor manager for the Autograph Hall needs to get a medal for the amount of pressure he was under from all angles.

So if you want to blame anyone I think we can safely lay the blame at the people who wanted a free shirt without wanting to actually crew.

Dustin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is the first Euro Event of this kind, it will get better next time.

We've had 4 events like this already in the US and we're just finally getting the hang of it ;-)

baby steps.....

Reaction score
Well I’m exhausted, but it was worth it!

Meeting so many people, including the guys from the US was a real treat. Enjoyed banging into Mark Hamill Thursday or Friday morning, chatting with Steve Sansweet at my booth was just so enjoyable.

Meeting a lot of the UK guys, and putting a face to a name really made the event for me. I also had a few old school friends turn up at my Booth I’ve not seen for years, so lot’s of talking.

I simply loved the Rebel Blockade runner Corridor; I could have taken that home with me for sure.My only gripe was the distance to the toilets. Haha

Sorry I didn’t get to say bye to everyone, but I’m sure we will still be in touch often.

A big thanks to Dave Tree and the contributors, for the Palitoy Archive.

My thanks to Chris G for presenting me with a frame set of Gold medallions. Simply Awesome!

And a big thanks to Barry, and the guys at Cards Inc for putting this show together, and giving me and my family a great weekend out.

-Nick

Jeremy

Imperial Dignitary
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dustin said:
baby steps.....
A very good point DLR. People expected too much, and forget that this was a first for EUrope.

But on a high note the attendance figures were better for CE than C4!

Jeremy

Reaction score
Well I really enjoyed it

Postives
I meet a load of people who I never spoken to before, but everyone was Star Wars Related, so you had a common thread
The Collector Panels were great! Thanks all!! Any one who stands up and talks about any thing in front of a room is always great.
Collectors Meet on Friday night.
The Medallions a thing of greatness!
Anyone who took the time to dress up! The kids just loved it, those kids will remember meetinbg Vader for years!
Star Wars on the big screen
Meeting Billy Dee and Mark Hamil
Meeting Steve Sansweet in the bar
Meeting Rick McCallum
Jedi Fight on the bridge
Hasbro Figure Poster
Trading card Freebies (Thanks 501st, Norwich Collectors, Cartamundi)
The Fox pub!

Negatives
Friday's Mark Hamil Queue was a joke and beyond silly. The Excel centre had no idea what was going on a virtual system, well actually virtually no system.
The amount of people on Saturday it was packed!! Glad I did all I need on Friday.
The postiion of the panels and Palitoy display. No one knew they were there on Friday!
I hardly saw any Rebelscum badges, something to identify more people at the next Celebration Europe2 will be needed!!
People queuing for something they had no idea about?
People trying to grab Medallions just to sell, the amount of people talking, leaving and just being plan rude was really bad I was annoyed the presenters must have thought worst.

To all those I meet then hi, I did enjoy it, its our first event, the next one will be better

G

I think there were a few chewies. There was one who I think is associated with Uk garrison who was the best because the was the correct height (on stilts).

G

What is the problem with this? i have seen playboys on sale at most other uk events. This isn't a kids event its for everyone. Plus i assume, as it was an artists stall, that they were drawings/paintings of nude women not photos. Nudes like you may see in any gallery in London.

Jeremy said:
I had a great experience at CE, and my only negative feeling was that I didn't have enough time to spend at the RS booth to meet with everyone who came around. SOrry for not making the effort to dress the stand up more, but (as many of you might know) all ourpromo material got delayed by USPS.

Jeremy

[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
I had a great time at CE. Being from NZ I don't get much of a chance to attanded anything like this and I really enjoyed myself but spent way too much money!

Got all my exclusives including the Animated Boba Fett Statue which is great and had no hassles getting any autograph or exclusives. Awesome time!

Reaction score
Gobo1979uk said:
What was the autograph/voucher thing all about. Firstly the idea of vouchers for autographs is pointless anyway. Several of the regular autograph guests also mentioned that it was a daft system. Whats wrong with money??? I don't know of any other cons where you have to buy vouchers - its just an extra queue. Added to this you had to get a photo ticket for £3 which wasnt advertised anywhere at the event or mentioned by the staff selling tickets. Some of the guests didn't really know about it either.
Agreed and I know after going to conventions and talking to many guests, most say they are very reluctant handling money from visitors. Thats why some shows have assistants or coupon systems to counter that. However most organisers dont trust assistants with money as they are usually just volunteers!
Like you I would rather just give the guest cash when you meet them, it all goes to the organiser anyway and are easier than complicated coupon systems that no-one understands.

I dont agree with your other point about the naked lady artwork. It doesnt matter wether its art or a photo it doesnt belong at a Star Wars event. Granted it was in Europe though!
I doubt reporting it would have made a difference as most of the staff let us down with their lack of manners and knowledge it seemed they would have ignored any issues we raise.

Reaction score
The dealer area was crammed on Saturday and Sunday. You could barely move. Kept me busy though.

Not surprising I seen no one.