CE - Your thoughts?

Reaction score
So, for all of us people with Saturday / Sunday only tickets, what can the lucky Friday people tell us about CE?

What are things to look out for and what were your particular highlights?

Cant wait for tomorrow!

Reaction score
To be honest, I wasn't impressed. The opening ceremony was ok, getting everyone pumped up. When you go inside the autograph hall its plain to see the problems. A huge line starting to build for Mark Hamill before he even got there and only a handful getting autographs of the other guests, mainly for Prowse and Bulloch, probably for those new to conventions, most of the other guests were twiddling their thumbs.
The merchandise stalls were unimaginative, a lot of them had nothing to do with Star Wars and were selling photos and toys of other genres. No rare toys and games, no limited editions that I could see a la CIV.
A big bouncy castle (?) type assalt course to promote the Royal Military. Whats this got to do with Star Wars? It took up most of the space in the main hall. Didnt get to see the one-man Star Wars show but im assuming that was the highlight, with good reason.
Overall not as good as CIV. Disappointing and poorly planned.

Reaction score
SteveSith said:
To be honest, I wasn't impressed. The opening ceremony was ok, getting everyone pumped up. When you go inside the autograph hall its plain to see the problems. A huge line starting to build for Mark Hamill before he even got there and only a handful getting autographs of the other guests, mainly for Prowse and Bulloch, probably for those new to conventions, most of the other guests were twiddling their thumbs.
The merchandise stalls were unimaginative, a lot of them had nothing to do with Star Wars and were selling photos and toys of other genres. No rare toys and games, no limited editions that I could see a la CIV.
A big bouncy castle (?) type assalt course to promote the Royal Military. Whats this got to do with Star Wars? It took up most of the space in the main hall. Didnt get to see the one-man Star Wars show but im assuming that was the highlight, with good reason.
Overall not as good as CIV. Disappointing and poorly planned.
I agree to an extent apart from Prowse,Hammil,daniels,Parks and Bulloch the other ques were very quiet!

Reaction score
Once I was inside the main hall it was great..apart from aforementioned bouncy castle.

The problem was getting IN to the hall. I, with my brother, sister-in-law, niece and a mate queued by door S1. As we got near the entrance we were told by an Excel Official this door was closed and we were to go to door S4 to gain entry.

Upon arriving at S4 we were told by a very nasty supervisor that we were lying and just trying to sneak in. I said why would I bother when I was a Hyperspace member and could just stroll in with my family passes... He got extremely rude and sent us back to S1 where the guy that had sent us to S4 said he didn't have a clue what we were on about but let us in anyway!

Boy was I fuming! Threatened to go all Sith-Lord on his a***!

Reaction score
ravenblaze said:
I agree to an extent apart from Prowse,Hammil,daniels,Parks and Bulloch the other ques were very quiet!
Well I was only in there 4 times during the course of the day and I know a lot were just in there to get some time with Hamill. His one hour talk was excellent though but I stick with my original thoughts on the overall 'event', even though ive now had time to cool off and reflect.

Reaction score
Ive necer known anything as unorganized as the Hamill que. not one of the crew or security knew what was going on. They tried to form a que in one direction before letting us into the actual line, then the crew member on the end of the line started letting people just enter the line without joining the premilery que, then when everyone was complaining they stared a separate que going in another direction before telling all the people in that que that they wouldnt get in unless they joined the back of the other que. All in all a total shambles. I ended up queing for almost 3 hours - so much for virtual queing!

Reaction score
90 percent of the staff were numptys

the one guy who was manning the bulloch que was a legend though he couldnt do enough to help people and was very friendly

Reaction score
I've just come back - great day in my opinion (although some problems as stated above - Hamill queue etc). I'm exhausted.
My highlights
Anthony Daniels was charming & talkative, & happily allowed photos to be taken.
Sandi Finlay/Matt Wood/Matt Sloan were so cool & friendly.
Mark Hamill was a legend. We were told not to talk to him as he will chat too much, but he happily chatted to me when I got his autograph - nice guy. He went out of his way to hug people for their candid photos too. Very fan friendly.
Warwick Davis - his celebrity interviews were so funny.
The tribute to Michael Sheard during the Imperials talk.
The Clone Wars trailer - awesome. Saw it twice.
Mark Hamill's talk was very interesting & humourous - I was sitting just beside his wife & daughter. He spoke about the Biggs/Luke deleted scenes.
Ian McDiarmind's opening ceremony talk - he is a funny guy!!!
Downsides:
The official photographs used for the signings are very cheap IMO.
Lack of organisiation in the autograph hall for Mark Hamill.
Being in queues for about 41/2 hours today.....
Not getting a goodie bag

Need to walk round the dealers tomorrow/Celebration store.

All in all - a good time. Now I must sleep...........

Reaction score
Gotta agree with JediClare....the photo quality was cheap.....almost like tissue, very thin!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Couple of questions for people who went today.

1. How much were the 2 exclusive figures and were they readily available?

2. Was there any trouble getting into the shows? Like being compeltely full?

3. Did you have to leave like 20 mins early to get into a show or could you arrive within a few minutes?

Thanks

Jamie

Reaction score
Can you actually see Mark Hamill without queueing ? I.e. say from 10 metres or so away or is he (and other guests) shut away in booths ?

How about other guests ? Is it acceptable to take photos without asking ?

Thanks,

Tim

Reaction score
jamie2497 said:
Hey guys,

Couple of questions for people who went today.

1. How much were the 2 exclusive figures and were they readily available?

2. Was there any trouble getting into the shows? Like being compeltely full?

3. Did you have to leave like 20 mins early to get into a show or could you arrive within a few minutes?

Thanks

Jamie
I can't answer your questions about the shows as I'm leaving that until tomorrow, but the figures were available from the shop at I believe £15 for the C3PO & R2D2 concept and £10 for the Luke concept. I did see other dealers tho selling the same figures at slightly cheaper and also very extortionate rates.

As for the quality of the figure....I wasn't impressed but that is just my humble opinion!

J

Reaction score
Tim_Z said:
Can you actually see Mark Hamill without queueing ? I.e. say from 10 metres or so away or is he (and other guests) shut away in booths ?

Thanks,

Tim
The majority of guests are in a fairly open area in kind of an L shape side-by-side. Mark and Anthony are on the right as you go in surrounded by a small booth which obscures the view if you are not in that line and don't happen to be tall enough....there are also plenty of people to growl at you if you are caught taking a pic!

Again...just my experience!

Reaction score
JediBigBad said:
Tim_Z said:

Thanks,

Tim
The majority of guests are in a fairly open area in kind of an L shape side-by-side.
Thanks for the info JBB.

So I'm ok taking photos of those in the open area ?

Cheers,

Tim

Reaction score
Wasnt any trouble getting in, never really got too busy, the only busy part was Mark Hamill's line and he is in a booth so you can still see him while your in the Autograph hall but you cant take photos because some goon tells you to put the camera away. At least they arent charging to look!

I think its general courtesy to ask anyone first before you take a photo of them, I know of some guests from previous shows dont allow photos to be taken of them.

Why do some people think that by wearing a staff badge means they can forget their manners? One of the staff today was really rude to a young family in the dealers room.

Reaction score
SteveSith said:
Why do some people think that by wearing a staff badge means they can forget their manners? One of the staff today was really rude to a young family in the dealers room.
There was far too much of that today from both CE staff and Excel staff.....

Reaction score
The biggest problem I found today was the staff employed by both CE and the Excel had absolutley no clue as to where anything was taking place. Many times I was asked on the stall where anything was.

As for the experience as a dealer: - Much better than C IV the event looks better, I agree with Stevesith about the number of tables which have been taken up by people not even selling anything Star Wars, which I find unbelievable. As for sheer foot traffic through the door, it seemed very busy.

Roll on Saturday, doors are opening at 8.30am tomorrow, so as to allow the huge numbers expected to get in.

Nick

Reaction score
I had no hassles in taking photos of Mark or of the other actors. What hassle I did have revolved around paying £85 for an autograph. Though I've been told it had something to do with my cheap Australian nature...

Reaction score
Good to have met you raven i think some cheap magazines are in ordered

I must agree about the amount of times I asked members of staff where things were and they didnt know, took me forever to find out the palitoy room was upstairs

was good as i left the event at 7 though as on stage was mark and ian having a laugh

cant belive all the posters for the medallions had a typo on them though for the word twelve they all said twelwe

Reaction score
Strange seeing that yak face with a gun in the store, as it was the one i use to own as i remembered the mark by the side of the bubble

wonder if you brought it from me or the person i sold it to you brought from them, i was going to buy it back but i saw the reserved sticker on it

Reaction score
Tim_Z said:
JediBigBad said:
Tim_Z said:

Thanks,

Tim
The majority of guests are in a fairly open area in kind of an L shape side-by-side.
Thanks for the info JBB.

So I'm ok taking photos of those in the open area ?

Cheers,

Tim

I got shunted away by some security around him saying I had no ticket so I wasn't allowed to take pictures, I still managed to take some from a distance though.

Reaction score
Weren't the people helping out in the autograph hall meant to be Malki's people? That may expalin the rudeness

Reaction score
Looks like some people here were among the lucky few that managed to get some shots of Hamill. I was standing quite far away near Lightning Bears table (he was never busy so I wasnt in anyones way!) and with a good zoom lens I attempted to shoot but was stopped by staff, he did have an American accent so it wouldn't have surprised me if they were Maki's drones. Sounded similar to my twang so I jokingly asked where they were from and they just walked away!

Reaction score
I have a one day ticket for sunday which im not looking forward to now, a friend went on friday and emailed me to say that she and her man thought it was 'dreadful'

Bouncy Castle? why?????

Reaction score
I enjoyed my day there on Friday. I got my exclusive figures and was told I could have as many as I wanted by the staff just got one of each though. (Skywalker was £10 of the TRU stall and C3p0 and R2 were £15 from the CE shop)

Sadly, the autograph hall was very disorganised and certainly the worst I had in terms of the way it was organised, the security staff there were very aggressive especially the guy with the dreadlocks who kept shouting at people to get back in the queue, when they attempted to walk over to signers who were just waiting around doing nothing. There was also no signs to indicate that you needed a £3 coupon to purchase a picture and not one member of staff mentioned this on the three occasions I purchased autograph coupons, I'm glad I knew in advance that you needed it could of potentially been very embarrassing. The quality of the pictures were very poor, agreed they seemed to be printed on tissue paper.

I couldn't work out which queue to queue in to meet Jeremy Bullock so I gave up in the end.

I met Peter Burroughs, Simon Williamson, Matt Sloan, Garrick Hagon, Sean Crawford, Anthony Daniels and Dermot Crowley. Mike Edmonds had run out of pictures by 15.00 so I said I'd come back and see him on Sunday.

Anyway all of them were absolutely brilliant and great to talk to.

The dealer area did get very crowded at times and there was gridlock in some stalls usually due to people with pushchairs and prams blocking the way. The stalls were quite limited in what they were selling and only one of them had the new VTSC figures - strange!

Other then those minor gripes, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to going back tomorrow.

I hope CE becomes an annual thing.

Reaction score
JediBigBad said:
Once I was inside the main hall it was great..apart from aforementioned bouncy castle.

The problem was getting IN to the hall. I, with my brother, sister-in-law, niece and a mate queued by door S1. As we got near the entrance we were told by an Excel Official this door was closed and we were to go to door S4 to gain entry.

Upon arriving at S4 we were told by a very nasty supervisor that we were lying and just trying to sneak in. I said why would I bother when I was a Hyperspace member and could just stroll in with my family passes... He got extremely rude and sent us back to S1 where the guy that had sent us to S4 said he didn't have a clue what we were on about but let us in anyway!

I had problems with this guy as well.

We told him that we were hyperspace members but he made us que up and then we were told by someone else it was the wrong line. We then go were we are surpossed to go and that guy says we are trying to push in. He then takes my friends ticket and says that he called him a ****!

We were so shocked that he said that as my mate didnt even open his mouth!

In the end in took us nearly an hour to get in. None of the staff knew what they were doing.

Reaction score
supersaber said:
JediBigBad said:

I had problems with this guy as well.

We told him that we were hyperspace members but he made us que up and then we were told by someone else it was the wrong line. We then go were we are surpossed to go and that guy says we are trying to push in. He then takes my friends ticket and says that he called him a ****!

We were so shocked that he said that as my mate didnt even open his mouth!

In the end in took us nearly an hour to get in. None of the staff knew what they were doing.
Im going on the Sunday and if we get any rudeness or cluelessness aswell i am going to put it in writing, not to CE, but to Lucasfilm. We should all do that so they know how mismanaged it is.

Reaction score
Me again - my quick day 2 report:

There seemed to be about 30% more visitors there today.
Low points -
Didn't get in to see the Anthony Daniel talk
Trying to find some where to stop for lunch - the food areas were packed & the queues very long.....
Tried to look at the art work, but it was packed. Some lovely stuff there though....
People pushing in on the celebrity talk queues...

The autograph hall was packed late morning/early afternoon for the Hamill signing. He was being shielded from photos from anyone other than who was in the queue for this auto. I did get a glimpse of him posing for a photo with a fan and Mark was holding an ignited full scale green lightsaber!!!!
Where were Jerome Blake & Angus McInnes or Mary Oyaya????? I couldn't see them at their tables.
High points -
Daniel Logan - what a sweetheart!! I am now officially a fan of his - very chatty, nice, young lad. Wish I had had longer to talk to him, but had to dash off to the McCallum talk.
Rick McCallum talk - found it interesting (but no 3D preview). He said the live action tv show could go to 400 episodes if everyone likes it. Also said that he thinks Lucas will tinker with the 6 movies again at some point.
He took a screenplay/script from a fan for consideration for the live action show, plus a fan made dvd (I think)
The Boba Fett talk with Jeremy & Daniel. The sound over they did to the Luke/Owen/Beru scene from ANH made me cry with laughter (yucky soup jokes etc - hysterical).
Warwick Davis - again!!! He just doesn't stop does he? Talk about hard working. He ran down to the stage from the top stairs in the Fett talk, it was funny as he wore himself out. He is such a joker.
Costume Paigent. Baby Yoda won in the under 16's - so cute. Ray Park & Jeremy Bulloch appeared to give the prizes. The information cards Warwick had for each contestant worked fine for about the first three people, but it then went down hill. Whoever wrote those note cards should be shot. Warwick was giving descriptions on how a jedi clock was made, whilst a Padme lookalike was on stage etc. It was funny and seemed to go down well with the audience and Warwick pulled it all off so well.
Seeing Rick McCallum outside the Excel at the end of the day. Getting his autograph, personalised to me, plus a candid with him. He is so cool and I am chuffed

In summary, IMO day 2 was good. For me Daniel & Rick were revelations. Roll on day 3 & BDW's....

Reaction score
The only things that would have made today even better than it was were the following:

1) More space between dealers
2) More toilets
3) More Slave Leia's
4) More staff on litter patrol so that I don't slip on left-over noodle boxes!
5) More of the Star Wars soundtrack, other than the one piece they seem to play over and over
6) Did I mention the slave Leia's?

J

Reaction score
Just came back and me and my son had a blast!
We're completely wrecked now since we flew up and down today.
Didn't get to do everything I wanted to to but had a blast anyways.
Expected a lot of people to come but didn't expect it this busy.

Some more space between dealers I agree with because it was just way too packed to shop comfortably. Actually maybe a good thing since I already spend more than enough

Oh yeah....more Slave Leia's!!!

Reaction score
I've had an awesome time both days and expect to have tomorrow as well.

I don't bother too much with merchandise, anything I common such as toys l'll get it at later date delivered to my door but the stalls do seem overcrowded and the official store is stupid with its argos style ordering but no pens around and nobody really knowing where they should be walker.

Food lines looked very long but if it's that way on Sunday and you have an hour to kill do what I did today: DLR back to Canning Town then Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf - in an hour I was there and back with a Wagamamas and 2 Tiger beers inside me

Merch aside though definate plus points:

Only about an hour from my house
The Vault
What's New With Hasbro
Lucasfilm Archives
Vader Helmets
Palitoy Room
Behind The Scenes Clone Wars
Modelmakers
The lego set ups where cool
Tat competition
The costume pagent was a nice way to end the day today
501st making everybody feel at home
Seeing both Hollys from Red Dwarf
Star Wars Arcade

Hoing to catch these or part of them tomorrow

Collecting 101
Unproduced Toys
One Man Star Wars
Vintage Auction
Working with walking carpets

Reaction score
Cool about Rick clare, they came up trumps with him and Mark....be even cooler if next time lucas turned up

Reaction score
Today was well crowded compared to Friday, but a good 2 days so far for me.
Got my Fett Maquette & CE Figures. Had a chat, auto & pic with Steve Sansweet, Got to see all the shows I wanted - clone wars, R2, Luke, 3P0, Rick McCullum, 1 Man Star Wars, Fanboys Rough Cut & the Pagent (No Leia's in it
)

Plus managed to bump into Rick before his show and get an auto & pic.

Roll on tomorrow for Ray Park & Billy Dee, plus a bit more shopping. Not looking forward to work on Monday tho!

ps Baby yoda came third, it was the great Lego Darth Vader that won the kids costume contest.

Reaction score
DarthQuiche said:
ps Baby yoda came third, it was the great Lego Darth Vader that won the kids costume contest.
Silly me - of course it was the excellent lego vader who rightly won. It was funny seeing him trying to navigate the stairs though. That costume was really cool.
Brain overload from today.... now time to sleep.

Wasn't Rick cool!

Reaction score
Wow, now I'm really jealous - that slave Leia pretty much trumps any of the CIV Leias. But what I wanted to say first is that your shirts/clothing for CE are WAY better than what was offered at CIV. I'm jealous!!! But I already dropped my $ on a shirt & CIV hoody.
from LA,
bikerscout