Cardboard Vehicles and Playsets--Potential Idea???

Reaction score
Looking at the underscaled vehicles and small playsets, I stumbled upon the U WING fighter hanging in Walmart. Granted its more in scale for 6-9 inch scale figures ---it was about 6 feet long and 4 foot wide, but the potential to build something like that in foamboard or cardboard just resonated in me, then why couldn't it be done in a smaller scale for 3 3/4 figures? If you could build a cardboard Falcon that was 3 ft by 3ish ft big or maybe an AT AT that stood tall as in 4 feet (think about it, its a big box body, small box head and four legs with cups for feet) this would be pretty cool. Okay so the size is big, who has that kind of room? Not many, but if its made out of cardboard/foamboard, its light, it could be constructed as well as deconstructed which means you could take it with you or a kid could take it on vacation or head to Grandma's house. So, light, portable and good sized. Seems like a win. Plus, other vehicles of the SW universe could be done in the same fashion, ie GHOST from SW REBELS, EBON HAWK from KOTOR, the LIGHT FRIEGHTER from KOTOR, as well as other vehicles in the known SW universes. Am I saying building a 6 foot WALMART SW display? No, Im saying look at the potential for making vehicles with a lot of detail in a smaller scale for 3 3/4 but still big in that scale. Production is just basically printed stickers or sheets on foamboard, perforated or need to be cut with instructions on how to build the cardboard vehicle. As far as durability, consumers can spray a sealing coat on it or possibly use plumbers foam to give it a certain amount of heft/weight. The constructions that Ive seen online for Walmart displays are nothing short of amazing. This also offers some potential to playset ideas as well, a Death Star Hangar for the MF or Tie fighters, Yavin base hangar for X WINGS and Ywings. lest we forget ECHO Base. The playsets could be constructed to look like a DS Turret with a few levels open in the back but solid on the front and sides with moveable turret on top with adjustable guns. I would really love to see Hasbro make the GHOST. Ive made one out of Foamboard and its totally possible and Im just an amateur. Im sure Hasbro can find some talent to really make this a go. Plus side, if it rips or tears, tape or glue can fix. I know it isn't perfect, but considering the potential for putting out new vehicles in a decent scale with good detail, I think this deserves at least some consideration. I really hate your vehicle line right now. The Uwing fighter should have been able to carry at least a few figures like the CLONE WARS dropships. I would start with the FALCON and go from there. Playsets could be constructed quite easily with tab A and slot B, it would be cool if it resembled the old die cast metal playset of the Death Star or even of the old MicroMachines/Galoob/Action Fleet playsets--lots of cool ideas there.

Thanks for your time.
Jon

Reaction score
I'd be all for some nice detailed modular Cardboard playsets and they could even be generic playsets (like hallways, hangers etc) this way the people can construct their own bases, and play environments. Not sure if it would work for ships or vehicles though.

I'd also pack the playsets with an action figure or two just to sweeten the pot. the action figures could be straight repaints/kitbashs/repacks of army builders like Stormtroopers, Rebel Fleet Troopers etc.

Reaction score
I think The Clone Wars line had the right idea with diorama backdrops incorporated into the packaging. Of course the larger the vehicle the larger the backdrop.

I'm not fussed on the idea of cardboard vehicles. It seems like one of those fringe papercraft ideas that look good on Pintrest, but doesn't seem practical for play unless they are quite basic and not really a sound option for a serious diorama peice for teens and adults.

I think our fairest bet for more reasonably priced vehicles nearer to scale is the Hero line. Although "fairer" would be open to interpretation because they are just as overpriced as everything else, but more available on clearance. Let's hope they give it another try with some Rogue One vehicles.

Reaction score
A cardboard Naboo Palace Playset would look nice!

Perhaps a cardboard playset of the bridge control center of a Star Destroyer?

Reaction score
Some of the SW papercraft that are out in stores work pretty well with basic figures. One comes to mind is the Death Star Throne room deluxe set. Granted, it's not intended for basic figs, but the look and scale are pretty accurate enough for some good playability. Vehicles OTOH maybe a harder sell due to the durability factor during play compared to environments. BTW, Hasbro's invested in the 'value' vehicle line to sort of fill that hole although admittedly, the market for that line is pretty abysmal. However, with some tweaking, those papercraft sets could be marketing to go with basic figures as well, kind of in a similar way knockoff LEGO's are compatible with other 'leading major building brands'.

The POTF2 Jabba Throne Room set fell through due to the amount of film time spent in that environment. Other environments which had some good film time which IMO could do well would include the Yavin and Hoth bases and an up to date Cantina.

Reaction score
The problem with cardboard is that it begins to warp and curl over time, especially if you live in a humid climate. Back in the 90s, I never had any luck at all getting the POTF2 Cantina and Jabba's Palace sets to lay flat on a tabletop after just a few days set up in the Texas heat. Because of that, I've never had much interest in cardboard playsets.

Reaction score
How did I not comment on this yet?????

My thinking is use the cardboard, used in the games section. It is thicker & will hold up to the humid & heat better. Plus they already have the manufacturing in place. :) A death star casim would not be hard to make at all. Hasbro makes their money on boardgames when they sell as little as $8, assuming a reasable markup. it seems like an easy deal.

I would love to see a build a diorama concept, one that could be applied to other Hasbro brands too.