Cardback collectors thread.

Reaction score
Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to cardback collecting.Ill kick it off,and as everyone knows im trying for a trilogo set.

Anyway,i though it would be nice to see a cardback collectors thread.I know there are many here- Alex,Jason,Adam etc so it would be great to see some love for cardbacks in the forum.Its an area that isnt highlighted too much,and itd be great to have a dedicated thread for any advice,questions etc.

These are the ones i need to finish my tri set:

Boba Fett
Madine
IG 88
Jawa
Logray
Zuckuss

Lee

Reaction score
Ok,had posted a link to something but someone PM'd me with concern

Back on topic,with regards to trilogos-what the price range for these cardbacks:

Fett

Jawa

Madine

Emperors Royal Guard

Reaction score
Sending you a PM about 7 on your list Lee -

Joe

Reaction score
I've been collecting cardbacks since before I got back into the game in 94. I found them to be even more collectible than the figures and I have just about all I want but I still need a few upgrades.

Reaction score
Jedi534 said:
I've been collecting cardbacks since before I got back into the game in 94.
Bryan. That is one seriously cool collection. I'm feeling the pangs of 'want'. Any plans to display them? Personally, I'd probably have them in a box as you have done, then just pull them out to enjoy them once in awhile. Maybe I'd upgrade to a really nice box.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing that picture.

Leif

Reaction score
Wow thats a lot of cardbacks. I find them interesting but never really been one for collecting them. Speaking of which, and I am not trying to hijack this thread. But I do have a cardback I am trying to get an Idea of value on. Its a Luke Jedi 65b back its in decent shape(especially the back of the card and the image on the fron). It does have a good sized section of bare cardboard where the figure would be. It also has a small price sticker.
Thanks

Reaction score
You can add me to the cardback addict list. I have been collecting these for about 10 years or so. Started with just wanting to get one for every character. Things really changed once I got the Kellerman book, there were so many cool variations out there I never knew of. Once most of those were achieved I moved on to foreign releases, all the while upgrading my Kenner set. Currently I think I have 350+ different backs, including, Palitoy, Meccano, Tri -Logos, Tol Toys, German, Clipper, Ledy, Kennder Canada, Glassite, Harbert, and Tskuda.

I have completed a few of my foreign runs (by this I mean 1 cardback for each back variation ie Palitoy 12A, 12B etc) and was contemplating a limelight in the near future. Just need an afternoon/weekend to take some pics.

I currently have all mine in multiple 12 x12 in scrapbooking binders in pages like this one. Works out great and keeps them pretty nice and easy to view.

Thanks
ToddG

Reaction score
MasterTyvokka said:
Its a Luke Jedi 65b back its in decent shape(especially the back of the card and the image on the fron). It does have a good sized section of bare cardboard where the figure would be. It also has a small price sticker.
Thanks
To me, I'd have to see a picture but probably $1-3. There are lots of Kenner cards out there.. lots. You could probably find a cut-bubble of that character, on a card that displays well(POP intact) for $7-10

I'm with Lee, as I need these Tri-logos (sorry Lee for the competition, maybe we can rotate who gets what
). I prefer cleaner cardbacks with the bubble cut off and NO Big Yellow/REd Euro price sticker:

8D8
AT-AT Commander
Barada
Boba Fett
Chewbacca
Chirpa
Death Star Droid
Emperor
Emperors royal guard
Greedo
Kenobi
Madine
Klattu palace
Han Bespin
Imperial Commander
Jawa
Logray
Luke gunner
Luke Jedi
Imperial Gunner
Leia Boussh
Romba
Snaggletooth
Weequay
Yak Face
Zuckuss

Thanks again to all of those who have helped me with various cardbacks the last 2 years or so. They can be challenging to collect depending upon which packages your talking about and combine that with a condition that is acceptable(but can always upgrade later which extends out the collecting time of cardbacks). I do not discriminate on package, as all are fair game (US,Canada,Palitoy,Clipper, Toltoys,Meccano, etc etc).

I could use one Ledy cardback also, but would prefer a worth wild character that I like plus nicer condition.

Lee, don't forget I have those two cardbacks for you.. scratch those off your list

Reaction score
Joe-thanks bro

Bryan,amazing collection buddy.Am ordering some toploaders for my tris in a few weeks.I play on putting them onto a large wall display when i finally have a collection room again.

Todd,nice way to display cards bud.I dont know how i missed your name in my original post-sorry bud

Adam,PM'ing ya soon buddy.And i think its great-a little competition makes it more interesting,and we can help each other now and again

Funny thing is,when i get the actualy tri backs,ive gotta find the hybrid cards(tri back etc)Those are bloody hard to come by.I have started a small Palitoy collection too,but Jason soaks all them up

Reaction score
Lee,
No worries, most discussion regarding Cardbacks typically get my attention.

And Since we are listing try logo wants let me add mine as well. Includes the Hybrids.

1 Cloud Car Pilot
2 Hammnerhead
3 Bespin Security Guard (white)
4 Bespin Security Guard (Black)
5 Ben (Obi wan) Kenobi--Pending
6 Jawa
7 Arfive-Defour (R5-D4)
8 Boba Fett
9 Han Solo Bepsin Outfit
10 IG-88
11 Princess Leia Organa Hoth Outfit
12 Zuckuss
13 Admiral Ackbar
14 Boussh
15 Logray
16 Chief Chirpa
17 Bib Fortuna
18 General Madine
19 B-wing Pilot
20 Lumat
21 Paploo
22 Romba
23 Lando Calrissian General
24 Warok
25 Lando Calrissian

Thanks
Todd

Reaction score
I am currently finishing my set of debut US cardbacks for each character. I am only concerned with offerless fronts (except for 4-LOM..maybe one day!) and not so much with the # on back. At one time I had several backs with offers but decided the offerless run will be fine for now. Once I sold my MOC collection, this was the perfect alternative and I have a lot of fun collecting them.

I also collect backs that I don't have a MOC counterpart of for my character focus, so I have nice little sub-run going for those as well, including an UZAY that I just adore.

Even better is that I had about 20 backs leftover from childhood, mostly ROTJ. I collect non-mint cards, so missing POPS, writing, price tags, a few creases, etc. are ok with me and add to the nostalgic charm...after all, one of my favorite cardbacks I 'rediscovered' was a Lumat that I found in our desk at my old home that had writing on it from both my Mom and I over the years.

I am down to missing just a handful of SW and ESB backs, and opted for trilogo versions of Anakin and Yak Face, which also mirrors my old carded collection. I also have just a few more alternate ROTJ backs to go as well.

Todd, you know you have been very helpful along the way, and today seeing how you display your backs is the icing on the cake, that is an awesome way to display them and I think I will do that too.

If anyone has any of these available, feel free to let me know!
SW:
Leia, R2, Walrusman, Greedo

ESB:
Luke Hoth, AT-AT Commander, R2(sensorscope), C-3PO (removable limbs), Bossk

ROTJ:
Yoda (standing), Han (DS hallway), Ben (hood up)

Reaction score
Jason,
You are welcome, and always an easy guy to deal with.

Regarding my sleeves, they fit very snuggly on the sides. there is a bit of a gap at the top, a few inches but I have not seen anything else that will work as well. The company that makes them is crop-in-style. My local store (Archeivers) has discontinued them so i am not sure if they are still available. I bought another brand one time and it looked the same but would not fit the cards, so my advice would be to try out on a small scale to make sure they work.

If anyone wants more details on them shoot me a PM and I will forward on some additional info.

Thanks
Todd

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have about 410 different palitoy cardbacks with about 50 still to find. Many of these are one of a kinds which I don't expect to be able to find.

Some of my complete palitoy runs can be seen here:-

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=vintagedisplay&Number=2787835

Haven't completed a new run in a long time now!

I'm missing the 70A Cloud Card Pilot, Bespin Security Guard Black & White for a complete set of trilogo cardbacks. I see these come up more often as MOC than as an opened cardback, but they are still pretty rare.

My tri-logo Madine was a recard that cost me £110 which I opened. Jawa was a recard that cost £115 that I also opened.

I also collect Meccano, General Mills, Clipper, Top toys, Tol Toys, GDE & Harbert cardbacks. Lili Ledy seem to be way to pricey for my liking.

I also have a load of Kenner cardbacks but have made no real attempt at collecting those yet (they came in bulk loads with the palitoys I was buying).

cheers Jason

Reaction score
Jason (mr Palitoy)
I have been meaning to send you a PM, but your site rocks. It is an awesome tool for cardback collectors. If anyone has any interest in Palitoy cardbacks the you have to check it out. I just completed my main run of Palitoy Backs, and now I need to chase down your pesky, 45BD, 45BN, etc examples. Just when I thought I was done.

Thanks
Todd

Reaction score
Glad you like the site. I think I'm getting less fussy in my old age and am less bothered about collecting the new sub variations these days. If you have any additions to the matrix let me know as I like to keep it up to date!

cheers Jason

Reaction score
i got into cardbacks for the best part of 3 or 4 years, before i decided to let them go. still kept a few beauties for old times sake but here are a few old pics of a collection that once was....

Toltoys SW
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/roganjohn/toltoys.jpg

Highest grade run of Toltoys Jedi Characters EVERRRRR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/roganjohn/swniennunb1.jpg

Palitoy Goodness
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/roganjohn/palitoylot.jpg

Lili Ledy Odds n Sods
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/roganjohn/swledy.jpg

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Great idea for a thread Lee. There isn't always much publicized love for these things that most people threw away.

I see it as a niche area that just hasn't quite caught on mainstream yet. I love these things and they're a super affordable alternative to collecting packaging without mortgaging your house.

I see many of the usual faces have responded. It's like Romper Room - "I see Lee, Todd, Adam…". I think we're still a small underground group around here!!

Alex

Reaction score
always fun to chime in on a cardback collecting thread. Jedi, that photo is crazy! even buying top loaders for all fo those is crazy. very nice!

i basically only collect USA lst appearence no promo cards if possible. It's not always easy and i've been collecting these things since the mid '90s.
i also collect re-release POTF cards which anyone here will tell you is very tough to complete the set.
outside of that, i collect Indy Raiders cardbacks, LJN WWF, some gi joe, MOTU, and vintage instructions/paperwork.

some other star wars cards i collect are the diecast ships. sometimes you get a bunch and you feel the need to finish the set.

for foreign cards, i collect them through my snaggletooth focus (if there was a foreign cardback of him)

i also have a couple odds and ends as well as some foreign cards of other characters.

i keep all the basic sized ones in those little file boxes they sell at target. they are made to hold files horizontally but they also hold cardbacks perfectly with extra space on top.

Reaction score
MMMMMMMM....... cardbacks.........

I've been collecting cardbacks since I was 7 years old. Keeping a figure unopened at that age was near impossible, so the next best thing was to keep the card. I'd spend afternoons just staring at them. They were an important part of the collection to me. Keep in mind back in the day the cardbacks and pamphlets were the main way for us to find out what toys were coming soon. Cardbacks hold a special nostalgia for me - like the loose figures.

MOCs remind me of the stores. Loose figs and cardbacks remind me of my childhood.

I've got three 5" binders full of cards (in archival comic sleeves). One is a minty set of nice Kenner cards with the original characters on their original movie card. The second binder is a minty example of each character on an alternate movie card and all the Kenner variant pics. The third binder is still a work in progress - trying for a card from all countries to get a flavor of cardbacks throughout the world. It's cheaper than MOCs!!!!!
As for my extra keeper cards - I'm embarrassed to say they are stacked ontop of my cabinet that holds my loose figs.

BTW - if anyone has an extra Droids Fett card - I'm in need. Been trying to track than one down for quite a while.

Reaction score

90% childhood cardbacks so I'm not a collector of them as such more of a hoarder.

Can't wait for Dax to chime in with his.

;

Reaction score
I kept over 50 cardbacks from my childhood & continue to collect them today. I'm a couple away from the 'set' of offerless movie debut cards & have a soft spot for foreign & alternate picture cards

Reaction score
So does anyone have a Cardback Grail piece?

I was able to get mine a few years back

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=vintagedisplay&Number=3314433&Forum=,,f102,,&Words=Survival%20Kit%20sticker&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=3314433&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=0&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post3314433

Now at the top of my list are the
Aussie Coin Sticker
POTF Yak face with cut bubble.

But the 32C is still my favorite.

Thanks
Todd

Reaction score
ToddG said:
not really a grail but one of my favourites & a 20b Greedo I got for Xmas (thanks Alex) to complete the run of 8.

Reaction score
ToddG said:
I currently have all mine in multiple 12 x12 in scrapbooking binders in pages like this one. Works out great and keeps them pretty nice and easy to view.

Thanks
ToddG
Where do you get the 12x12 2 pocket pages? I have always wanted to get some of my cardbacks out of boxes and into binders. Here is how mine are stored now.

Reaction score
ToddG said:
I don't know if it's a "Grail" piece, but my "Most Wanted" was the SW21 Boba Fett since I doubt I'll ever be able to afford an actual carded one, I figured the cardback was the next best thing. Now that I have that, I guess a nice POTF Anakin or YakFace would be my next "most wanted".

Reaction score
For me, it's Palitoy ESB 30B cardbacks for first 12/20 figures. There are a few more common ones like Luke XW, Ben and Han and rarer ones like Leia and DSC. The rest are 1 of a kind examples some of which haven't been seen for years.

A run of the first 12 figures on 30B would be a grail for me!

Jason

Reaction score
Nice thread folks. I too have quite a large collection of cardbacks and am looking to find the plastic sleeves to put each one in. I have a few but just don't know where to find a bulk lot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
_Robbie_ said:
Nice thread folks. I too have quite a large collection of cardbacks and am looking to find the plastic sleeves to put each one in. I have a few but just don't know where to find a bulk lot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Robbie,

Email sent regarding sleeves mate.

Lee

Reaction score
It looks like Alex, Todd and I have kinda the same storage thing happening. Binders and pages make it easy to flip through them like a photo album. It helps so I can keep track of stuff and not forget what I have.

I bought 4" binders from www.mybinding.com and these 3 ring resealable comic pages. They work great and I bought the binders in a set of 12, so they came out to about 4 bucks each. The pages are just big enough for larger cards like the die-cast ships.

Alex

Reaction score
Rattlesnake,
The pages I have I got from Crop-n-style, but the line has been discontinued. I tried to find a link and just found this out. My local archievers (scrapbooking) store was clearancing them out around Christmas so i am glad i stocked up.

Check out the Alex solution, the both use single sheets used for comics.

ToddG
Sorry
Todd

Reaction score
ToddG said:

I was able to get mine a few years back

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=vintagedisplay&Number=3314433&Forum=,,f102,,&Words=Survival%20Kit%20sticker&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=3314433&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=0&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post3314433

Now at the top of my list are the
Aussie Coin Sticker
POTF Yak face with cut bubble.

But the 32C is still my favorite.

Thanks
Todd

cool cardback Todd. a very tough find!

aussiejames, i finally just got that ESB offerless 4-lom. it beats having the ackbar offer one

did you know you just bought the GDE c-3po and leia bespin canadian from me? small world....

Reaction score
Man, this thread brings up some good memories. I remember my goal when I started collecting cardbacks: "collect them all." Had a few nice runs in my day

Reaction score
Wow, it seems like there is a high demand for Trilogo cardbacks

Those little USPS boxes are very nice, I also use them to store my Trilogo and Meccano cardbacks

Reaction score
Paul_Naylor said:

90% childhood cardbacks so I'm not a collector of them as such more of a hoarder.

Can't wait for Dax to chime in with his.

;
paul I hope you glued all those cardbacks together so they don't get damaged if the wind blows them over.....
or maybe we could use them to fire up the next bbq as they all seem to be damaged anyway!

cardbacks are a new (old new again
) focus for me so thanks guys for a new favourite thread. they are about the only vintage I can afford now anyway due to 2 big mortgages and my pair of under 5 female kart racing prodigies.

Dax

Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party guys, I've been away on holiday for a while and am still catching up on everything. Good to see a lot of familiar faces around here discussing one of my favourite topics! For me cardbacks represented an inexpensive way to collect something a little different and that also didn't need a great deal of storage room. I also never have to worry about bubbles turning yellow and brittle.

Just to revise what has already been discussed so far.

This thread is the perfect example of why I have resisted the lure of collecting tri-logo cardbacks. I love some of the variant images used but I don't need this much competition. Perhaps one day, but probably only if I could pick up the Madine and Jawa at the same time. After that the rest should be a cinch

My storage technique is to use an old Hasbro figure case and stack most of the cardbacks in that on their edge. Works well enough for my needs and for certain of my cardbacks I have a few in top loaders and some others in a different, more spacious box. Top loaders look great and protect cards very well, but the sheer cost of buying that many and then shipping them to Australia is enough to make me reconsider. One day I intend to have them in binders where they can be more easily reviewed but I'm in no rush to make that happen.

As much as I like the spectacle of Paul's Tower 'o' Cards I just couldn't bring myself to attempt anything like that with my own cardbacks. The man has stronger nerves than I do! I just love looking at that pyramid and picking out all the rare cardbacks that are on view. Not just all the Toltoys NN offers but other items like that offerless ESB Power Droid. Man, that was one tough cardback to track down for me!

These days I run a spreadsheet to keep track of what I have, what I still need, and what might need upgrading. Not very sophisticated really but it helps if I'm going to a collector fair as I can just print out the latest version and take it with me so I don't end up buying something I already have, or passing up on something I actually need. Does anyone else do this?

Sorry about the missing images Joe. That's an old thread there and as I've filled gaps and updated images I've deleted the older ones as they become redundant. It's been a while since I've updated my collection photos and I've since upgraded a few cardbacks as well as added a number of new ones so I intend to snap some photos this weekend and upload them. Once I do I'll post a link in the thread here.

I can't recall who mentioned it before, but there are certain cardbacks I'm still chasing where it's much easier to pick up a carded figure than a cardback. Which kind of leads into my grails.

Ever since seeing it in John's book I've been on the hunt for a New Zealand cardback with the price circle but it still eludes me and the search continues. I'm also still on the lookout for a POTF AT-AT Driver and Gamorrean Guard. At the moment my place holderes for these are actually carded figures. I'm looking forward to the day when I can find those cardbacks and let the figures go to a more appropriate home.

My offerless sets are virtually complete, just requiring some upgrades here and there. My Toltoys sets will probably never be complete but strangely I don't mind that, it gives me something to continuously be on the look out for. I have a few Die Cast vehicles cardbacks that I still need but they'll turn up in due course.

Then there are my other toy lines that I have cardbacks for which at this stage extends to some vintage Indiana Jones, some Micronauts figure cards, and just recently some Lords of Light (a derivitive line from Micronauts). I expect I may pick up some Battlestar Galactica as well at some point as I had them as a kid and I like the artwork for them.

Anyway, enough of my rambling and I'll give this post a nudge after I update my images over the weekend!

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am a new cardback collector. The fascination started with the modern reissues, but then I lamented the fact that Hasbro would most likely never issue all the original US 95 cardbacks.

Once I realized how inexpensive the vintage cardbacks are, I went hog wild. I had started acquiring two sets, one with modern cards and near-mint vintage cards filling in the Hasbro gaps, and another all vintage set.

I am currently unloading most of the 2nd set, and just focusing on completing the first. My goal is to have near-mint to mint cut bubble cards of the first 79. I have about 15 more to go. It's slow going, but I have other facets of the hobby to enjoy.

Looking at the cards, esp. the backs, really brings back the memories. I may start up another collection once I round out a few other collecting niches.

I keep my cards in 1" black binders, and use the typical plastic sheet protectors. They're standard paper size, so the cards are smaller than the sheets, but the sheets aren't too slippery, and the cards stay put. It's a sort of photo album where I can flip through the cards at my leisure.

Reaction score
So, cardbackers, what sort of condition cards do you look for? My dream would be to have mint, cut-bubble cards, and there are some out there, but the majority of them have some sort of damage from being opened. Where do you draw the line? Are you okay with cards that are cut, missing POPS, have minor or significant damage, creases, etc.? Do you collect for the card back or the card front? Is it the fact of owning a particular card that matters, or does condition play a part?

Here are examples of my favorite to least favorite type of cardback.

I call this an "A". Overall great to mint condition, cut bubble.

I call this the "B" grade. Torn bubble. Minor damage to the card. An "A" with slight to moderate flaws would grade this way also.

To me, this is a "C". Any "A" card that is missing POPs is less desirable to me than a "B" card. Opinions on this may vary. Some might value one of these over a torn bubble card.

The "D" card. Torn bubble, minor damage to the card. Basically a "B" with missing POP.

Yuck. These are "E"s. I don't like these at all. To me, these are only useful if you collect the backs. Or a really rare card.

Here's the "F". Mostly good for the backs, or a really rare card.

Another factor that may come in to play is the back of the card. Some have writing, where young kids (like us back in the day) checked off what figs we had or which ones we wanted. I kind of like looking at these, because I can identify with whoever marked up the card. It could have been any one of us back in the day. But again, opinions may vary. Some collectors might detract for a defaced or worn back.

How do y'all grade your cards?