Carbon Freezing Chamber - Speculation

DeltaSquadSev11

High Admiral
Reaction score
Yakface have posted some new details on the upcoming TVC Carbon Freezing Chamber play-set. Looks like the price will be $59.99 which is ten dollars more than the Jabba's Trophy Room play-set was. It's also not exclusive to Wal-Mart which as Yakface themselves said "thank God". Yakface also say the play-set may have electronics and include a single figure which will be a Stormtrooper which may not come carded. They didn't mention that part about the figure possibly not being carded on the site. Jayson said that in a comment on a TVC group on Facebook.

Admittedly it's a bit disappointing we might only be getting one pack in figure with the play-set and that it might only be another Stormtrooper at that. However, given that a Carbon Freezing Chamber play-set would have a bit more to it than Jabba's Trophy Room did (as cool as it is it was a few walls really with some nice bits and pieces like the Tauntaun and Jerba heads) it makes sense that Hasbro might have wanted to focus more on the play-set part of the Carbon Freezing Chamber set while trying not to make it too expensive. A really good Carbon Freezing Chamber play-set at just $10 more than the Jabba's Trophy Room would still be pretty great. If it's true about the electronics I'm really interested to see how that works. Can't wait for the reveal of the play-set.

R1G4R3PO

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
^ so likely R1 stormtrooper again, just wonder if repainted w/ orange light reflection and/our holster added. ...just enough to make it a "new" figure (better than Fett, Vader, even Han again) a magnetic carbonite Han repack would be nice though. Since not a WM excl, hopin' Best Buy will offer it by end of july since after the hoth game fiasco there, they reinstated my rewards in full

Last edited:

SaberSonic83

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
Yakface have posted some new details on the upcoming TVC Carbon Freezing Chamber play-set. Looks like the price will be $59.99 which is ten dollars more than the Jabba's Trophy Room play-set was. It's also not exclusive to Wal-Mart which as Yakface themselves said "thank God". Yakface also say the play-set may have electronics and include a single figure which will be a Stormtrooper which may not come carded. They didn't mention that part about the figure possibly not being carded on the site. Jayson said that in a comment on a TVC group on Facebook.

Admittedly it's a bit disappointing we might only be getting one pack in figure with the play-set and that it might only be another Stormtrooper at that. However, given that a Carbon Freezing Chamber play-set would have a bit more to it than Jabba's Trophy Room did (as cool as it is it was a few walls really with some nice bits and pieces like the Tauntaun and Jerba heads) it makes sense that Hasbro might have wanted to focus more on the play-set part of the Carbon Freezing Chamber set while trying not to make it too expensive. A really good Carbon Freezing Chamber play-set at just $10 more than the Jabba's Trophy Room would still be pretty great. If it's true about the electronics I'm really interested to see how that works. Can't wait for the reveal of the play-set.

Bummer about the figure pack in - this would have been the PERFECT opportunity for an Ugnaught on TVC card and a little variation. However, I like the price, it tells me its definitely bigger and if there is only ONE pack in, that also tells me more money went to tooling. Electronics!? Holy cow, Hasbro, it must be April Fools! I'm so pumped if that's the case. I'm guessing it's probably nothing more than the classic orange lights and perhaps the sound of the carbon block freezing and air releasing, which would be very cool. I'm getting more excited for it.

^ so likely R1 stormtrooper again, just wonder if repainted w/ orange light reflection and/our holster added. ...just enough to make it a "new" figure (better than Fett, Vader, even Han again) a magnetic carbonite Han repack would be nice though. Since not a WM excl, hopin' Best Buy will offer it by end of july since after the hoth game fiasco there, they reinstated my rewards in full
It better not be the R1 Stormtrooper. The guys at Hasbro have said openly that those armor designs are NOT the same as the OT. I think they actually take that seriously, so my guess is, new Stormtrooper with Han's Stormtrooper body and new head?

TK_842

Sith Lord
Reaction score
Really expected this playset to come with at least a couple carded figures. Last year's Jabba's Palace concept really worked for me. If it indeed only includes a (loose) stormtrooper, it's a missed opportunity to cross off a couple names on the missing TVC figures from the vintage era. Lobot, Bespin Guard or ugnaughts would have been perfect candidates.

SaberSonic83

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
Really expected this playset to come with at least a couple carded figures. Last year's Jabba's Palace concept really worked for me. If it indeed only includes a (loose) stormtrooper, it's a missed opportunity to cross off a couple names on the missing TVC figures from the vintage era. Lobot, Bespin Guard or ugnaughts would have been perfect candidates.
True, but I think Lobot is a strong enough request to carry in a wave.

R1G4R3PO

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
It better not be the R1 Stormtrooper. The guys at Hasbro have said openly that those armor designs are NOT the same as the OT. I think they actually take that seriously, so my guess is, new Stormtrooper with Han's Stormtrooper body and new head?
LoL, I thought you'd been here long enough to know not to take Hasbro's openly spoken words serious. Especially after that should've think before you speak comments made a few weeks ago that promted BanthaSkull et al to start the recent TVC campaigns. . But honestly, I did forget about the difference in the Han Stormtroopers design vs R1 Stormtrooper, so that could be possible. I merely suggested R1 because, that one is the most popular design and may be most readily available at the "factory" …(cough Clone Commander, Clone Captain...cough)

Last edited:

Maverick10126

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
This may sound strange, but I'm a little concerned about the price. $60....minus the figure (let's call it $10) puts it at a $50 playset. Jabba's playset was $50 minus the two figures ($20) puts it at $30. So a playset that's not quite twice as big as Jabba's set. What did Jabba's playset really have going on? Don't get me wrong, I love it. It's a great set that's highly detailed but it's 3 walls. Two of which are pretty simple with not a lot going on.

So what can we realistically expect from the set? I guess it will be bigger, that much is certain but I feel like it's going to be pretty basic. Will it just be the main circle platform? Will the platform be raised to allow for a lowering feature? What else will be going on?

I guess personally my hope is a to scale freezing platform. A peg for the control panel that came with the ugnaught. The platform will be raised on a cylinder. The stairs at the back of the platform, a small area at the top of the stairs and maybe the walkway that wraps around the chamber? Ideally I'd like a carboard insert included in the box to serve as a backdrop. You know, that blue backdrop with the smokey haze and the pipe patterns. Can that be done for $50? I'm hoping so.

I'm conceding it wont have any of the other features or areas and that's fine. What's everyone's hope for this thing?

I'm buying it either way btw. I'll mod my current Bespin playset to fit it or steal parts off of it at the very least.

TK_842

Sith Lord
Reaction score
True, but I think Lobot is a strong enough request to carry in a wave.
It could indeed even though Bespin residents are hard to come by on a vintage card. Lando in his administrator garb has yet to see a release past the VOTC version and only the cloud car pilot was lucky enough to get the treatment in the TVC first wave back in 2010

SaberSonic83

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
This may sound strange, but I'm a little concerned about the price. $60....minus the figure (let's call it $10) puts it at a $50 playset. Jabba's playset was $50 minus the two figures ($20) puts it at $30. So a playset that's not quite twice as big as Jabba's set. What did Jabba's playset really have going on? Don't get me wrong, I love it. It's a great set that's highly detailed but it's 3 walls. Two of which are pretty simple with not a lot going on.

So what can we realistically expect from the set? I guess it will be bigger, that much is certain but I feel like it's going to be pretty basic. Will it just be the main circle platform? Will the platform be raised to allow for a lowering feature? What else will be going on?

I guess personally my hope is a to scale freezing platform. A peg for the control panel that came with the ugnaught. The platform will be raised on a cylinder. The stairs at the back of the platform, a small area at the top of the stairs and maybe the walkway that wraps around the chamber? Ideally I'd like a carboard insert included in the box to serve as a backdrop. You know, that blue backdrop with the smokey haze and the pipe patterns. Can that be done for $50? I'm hoping so.

I'm conceding it wont have any of the other features or areas and that's fine. What's everyone's hope for this thing?

I'm buying it either way btw. I'll mod my current Bespin playset to fit it or steal parts off of it at the very least.
Good call on the control panel peg! We should finally be able to plug that in after all these years! I love that Hasbro did that for us with the original Vizam, he came with the gun that could clip on the side of the Barge (one day) and then one day it actually came. Of course, the provided guns are even cooler and more superior, but the fact that you can clip on his gun is an awesome detail that the Barge designers ensured. I hope Hasbro thought of that Ugnaught accessory. I totally had forgotten about that until now. And while you touch on some logical fears with the price, I think it sounds like its accounting for more real estate in the playset itself and that it will undoubtedly be bigger, which is a win in my mind.

Maverick10126

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
I'm usually not a fan of cardboard in a playset, but I think this is one instance where you could really make the case for it. The walls of the chamber itself are....vague....at best. If it doesn't come with a cardboard background I'm just going to be printing one myself.

RogueWhistler

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
It is kind of hard to get excited for a playset when there are so few figures to go with it, but new TVC is always good. Personally I hope it doesn't have any electronics, but I know some people would like to see them.

SaberSonic83

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
It is kind of hard to get excited for a playset when there are so few figures to go with it, but new TVC is always good. Personally I hope it doesn't have any electronics, but I know some people would like to see them.
Just out of curiosity, what would be the downside of that for you? You could just leave them off forever, it's not like they interrupt the aesthetic or look of the set. You never have to put a battery in.

DarkKnight07

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Kind of stunned the bespin set isn’t going to come with a couple of carded figures. I thought there was some mention a while back they were looking at doing that with playsets going forward or maybe that was just wishful thinking?
But then on the other hand I’m kind of relieved but took me a few tries to get both a mint Han carbonite and ree yees, so if I don’t have to deal with that that’s less money and hassle.

Maverick10126

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
So few figures to go with the Carbon Freezing Chamber? I'm confused....Luke Bespin, Vader, Chewie, Threepio (there are a few options), Ugnaughts, Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, Lobot (still a solid figure), Lando (yes he needs an upgrade), Han Carbonite, Bespin Escape Leia is definitely a straggler but they have made enough figures to fill out the scene nicely in a variety of ways.

I mean, Luke, Vader, Fett, Threepio, Stormtroopers, Chewie and Han Carbonite all had releases within the last year or less. I think Chewie is the furthest back but he's been released so many times now.

DarkKnight07

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
So few figures to go with the Carbon Freezing Chamber? I'm confused....Luke Bespin, Vader, Chewie, Threepio (there are a few options), Ugnaughts, Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, Lobot (still a solid figure), Lando (yes he needs an upgrade), Han Carbonite, Bespin Escape Leia is definitely a straggler but they have made enough figures to fill out the scene nicely in a variety of ways.

I mean, Luke, Vader, Fett, Threepio, Stormtroopers, Chewie and Han Carbonite all had releases within the last year or less. I think Chewie is the furthest back but he's been released so many times now.
Yeah, when I used to have the old potj carbon set on display it was fairly crowded with all the figures that could go with it and it looked great! I had han, Leia, chewbacca, threepio, boba fett, Lando, lobot, a couple bespin guards, several stormtroopers, and ugnaughts manning the controls. That’s quite a lot of figures that can go with the playset. And if I had him at the time I think for fun I would have put ice cream maker guy at the base just hanging out with his ice cream maker.

RogueWhistler

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what would be the downside of that for you? You could just leave them off forever, it's not like they interrupt the aesthetic or look of the set. You never have to put a battery in.
It's mainly a cost thing for me. Electronic lights and sounds don't add any value for me, so I can't help but think I could have gotten a lower price, another pack in, or better paint apps. And aesthetic things like battery panels and LEDs are pretty minor overall, but they are still there. I'd gladly take electronics over spring-loaded cannons and other action features, though.

I meant recently, I'm pretty sure every character from this scene's been made at some point besides Sheckil and some backround guards.

And sure, we've gotten a few repacks of old figures, but there hasn't been a properly new TESB release since 2015, as far as I can tell.

You can display the Carbonite/pre-Carbonite Hans with a 10-year-old Luke, 13-year old Boba, and a 15-year-old Vader, but there haven't been new figures of Bespin jumpsuit Leia since PotJ, 3PO-carrying Chewie since SAGA, and Bespin Lando or Lobot since OTC. Even the TLC Ugnaughts and Wing Guards are more than 10 years old at this point.

Maybe it's just because I've only been collecting the line since the relaunch, but it's crazy to me that there are no new TESB figures in TVC2, especially on the anniversary year. It's hard to be comprehensive of the entire saga with nine new figures a year, but they could at least try.

Masterfett

Emperor
Reaction score
What really chaps my hide about this, is that the Stormie can be released in the main line no problem, he'll always get bought and several times over!
But given Hasbro's track record of late and the so-called "lean line" statement, it would make better sense to put an "unknown" into this that risk putting Lobot or an Ugnaught in it. Because they definitely don't seem interested in getting some of these "no brainer" figures out that have been requested over and over.

I get it's cheaper for them to just use a repack like a Stormie for such a large "new" item. However, what are the odds we'll ever see Lobot, BSG(mustache), or even an Ugnaught in TVC. The BSG does have the army builder aspect so main line seems plausible, but we have to remember this is 2020 Hasbro not 2012 Hasbro. IDK, it's just lack of imagination IMO, to include a Stromtrooper instead of a BSG or an Ugnaught.

I can look past the not being carded aspect if they're figures I actually want/need since I wouldn't need to offload them.

DarkKnight07

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
The stormtrooper is most definitely an uninspired choice. Sure we all love them, but there have been quite a few recently, and this was the perfect opportunity to do a unique to the set kind of figure that otherwise wouldn’t get a lot of love in the carded line.

RogueStar

Vice Admiral
Reaction score

Now I see this after my post in the Jabba's Palace topic. Well, here's hoping there's substance to these rumors, and the set doesn't disappoint. I still think it ought to be a HasLab offering, much larger than might sell at retail, but with no expense spared when it comes to the scale and level of detail.

Trooper31

Emperor
Reaction score
It's mainly a cost thing for me. Electronic lights and sounds don't add any value for me, so I can't help but think I could have gotten a lower price, another pack in, or better paint apps. And aesthetic things like battery panels and LEDs are pretty minor overall, but they are still there. I'd gladly take electronics over spring-loaded cannons and other action features, though.
My sentiments exactly. If we could get another pack-in or a lower price, I could make my own sounds.

The stormtrooper is ok as a pack-in, but I'm afraid they might ass orange highlights to it. Years ago there were some collectors who kept asking for that very figure and you know how Hasbro is with things like that.............

Again, like MF said, a stormtrooper will always sell and I would have preferred a carded Ugnaught and a Bespin guard instead, but if the size of this piece forced them to go cheaper, then I'm happy enough to get a TVC playset.

Decarbonited

Captain
Reaction score
Apparently the playset will be half circle of the carbon freezing chamber floor grate, with stairs leading up to a small area Luke and Vader can duel on. It's loosely intended to be bought twice to get the full freezing chamber, so you'd be looking at $120.

Personally, I really hope it has some orange LED lights under the grating and stairs.

Last edited:

Trooper31

Emperor
Reaction score
Apparently the playset will be half circle of the carbon freezing chamber floor grate, with stairs leading up to a small area Luke and Vader can duel on. It's loosely intended to be bought twice to get the full freezing chamber, so you'd be looking at $120.

Personally, I really hope it has some orange LED lights under the grating and stairs.
Thanks for the info. If two fit together, I'll buy two so it's basically what I need. Not surprised if Hasbro goes this way, though.

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
Watch this will be a R1 trooper with a holster, and the only way to get it... But like the Jabba madness that followed the barge, Skiff, and playset, perhaps they will go heavy with Bespin releases?

MondoFanMichael

Midshipman
Reaction score
If there isn’t a carded figure I am out. That’s just my focus and there are space considerations too.

SaberSonic83

Grand Admiral
Reaction score

Where did you get this new info? That's actually disappointing, meaning it wouldn't have an actual carbon freezing operation to lower it or raise it up with Han in the slab. I really hope this isn't the case - though I am curious if Hasbro designed it to be connected itself?

I also wanted to point out that YakFace only stated that a stormtrooper "may" be the only pack-in figure. I'm with the rest of you in that regard as it would be the stupidest choice of all time, but at least there is a "may" and not a definite.

Simdog

Moff
Reaction score
Here is where I have issues with Hasbro. I promise I have gotten over it but this just brings it back again. First off, they talk about smart repacks (kitbash). Well, a Carbon Freeze playset with would be an easy way to do a smart repack of an Ugnaught, Bespin Guard, or Lobot. It's an opportunity for them to release two of the 3 on a vintage card for the carded collectors. But no, if rumors are correct, you want to make half of a playset and the most prized army builder ever then force collectors to buy two? What? I know these details aren't confirmed but it just proves that Hasbro is not in tune with these boards and collectors and never have been.

What will really suck it somehow this Stormtrooper is unique.

Tulgah

High Admiral
Reaction score
I definitely was hoping for the same formula they used for Jabba’s—the set and two carded (for the MOC crowd). I was thinking we certainly would be able to cross two more off the list, like we did with Han Carbo and Ree-Yees. I knew not to be so hopeful as to expect a new Blue Lando (I supposed these potential pack-ins would have to be repacks), but a “tweaked” Ugnaught (even a repaint) would have sufficed for many collectors. Saga Lobot probably would be too obsolete to go on a TVC card, but many Legacy or later figures would’ve worked. Ugs and Sgt. Edian could’ve helped so much.

DSIILuke

Sith Lord
Reaction score
Disappointed to hear this wouldn’t be modeled after the Jabba Set. Great opportunity to get out 2 figures from the original 92/96 squandered, if true. I’m hopeful for at least the figure being carded. I’ll welcome an updated OT Stormtrooper.

I know I shouldn’t compare, but the Marvel presentation is going on and man is that team on it. Didn’t know how good we had it in 2010/2011, LOL.

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
Thinking about How I would display this, and It is troubling. Too many characters either missing, or that I would have to pull from another display.

LuxBonteri

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
A new Bespin Carbon chamber coming out!! For TVC!! Oh great, however regardless of the included figure this set should be a winner with collectors, however all I hear is discontent and displease, I can see the collectors fan base is very hard to please regardless of what is coming from the Hasbro team.

If it’s a figure single carded all I hear is collectors asking for another figure or selection, if it’s a playset all I hear is collectors deciding what figure should be included and why. Never pleased.

I get it they should have taking the opportunity to included Lobot (never at the carbon chamber in the movie) or a new Lando (100% needs a new sculpt), but a stormtrooper will suffice, and a lot of troopers where at the chamber. A new Boba Fett maybe? A new Leia maybe? Sure, but the Jabbas palace set included 2 already made figures with no face printing and finally in the original boxes.

Will wait and see what the playset will look and what are the functions and electronics, regardless of the price will get it. And we are trying to save the line, that should be a given to be optimistic at the future of this set.

I’m not trying to be a troll, but I need to be a little optimistic and hopeful that Hasbro will deliver a good product, knowing well that some will protest on the price, or included figure or figures.

EmperorPalps

Emperor's Hand
Reaction score
Well, I will be buying one as soon as they're available online, even though I have no more room for large dioramas or playsets. My hope is that it will at least come with some carded TVC figures for my modern OG92 collection. I would give the playset away to a family member or friend.

DSIILuke

Sith Lord
Reaction score
A new Bespin Carbon chamber coming out!! For TVC!! Oh great, however regardless of the included figure this set should be a winner with collectors, however all I hear is discontent and displease, I can see the collectors fan base is very hard to please regardless of what is coming from the Hasbro team.

If it’s a figure single carded all I hear is collectors asking for another figure or selection, if it’s a playset all I hear is collectors deciding what figure should be included and why. Never pleased.

I get it they should have taking the opportunity to included Lobot (never at the carbon chamber in the movie) or a new Lando (100% needs a new sculpt), but a stormtrooper will suffice, and a lot of troopers where at the chamber. A new Boba Fett maybe? A new Leia maybe? Sure, but the Jabbas palace set included 2 already made figures with no face printing and finally in the original boxes.

Will wait and see what the playset will look and what are the functions and electronics, regardless of the price will get it. And we are trying to save the line, that should be a given to be optimistic at the future of this set.

I’m not trying to be a troll, but I need to be a little optimistic and hopeful that Hasbro will deliver a good product, knowing well that some will protest on the price, or included figure or figures.
Lobot is most certainly at the carbon chamber.

xfamousnicknaro

High Admiral
Reaction score
I’m definitely excited to see what it looks like. I’d actually be okay with a half circle playset that is meant to be put together because that means the opportunity for it to be larger and better looking. And in that case, I’m always okay with more Stormtroopers. MAYBE this means updated versions of all the characters you guys are clamoring for are in the pipeline.

Also, I got super lucky earlier and managed to grab two more Mandos from Amazon at retail price. Gonna customize one with the full Beskar for now and keep one carded, which I hardly ever do.

Tulgah

High Admiral
Reaction score
Everyone is glad to get the set. But yes, some collectors might be “discontent and displease” if Hasbro continues to deny the original Kenner lineup their place in TVC. Absolutely everyone wants the set, and absolutely everyone appreciated and approved the Jabba’s Palace set for its efforts to check boxes.

Espi1001

Admiral
Reaction score
Lobot is most certainly at the carbon chamber.
My bad, he was there, seen the movie million times and I'm always paying attention to Han, Leia, Chewie, C3PO and Vader, Fett and Lando, the other ones never really paid too much attention.

Masterfett

Emperor
Reaction score
Well, the saying goes that you can't have your cake and eat it too. So this will be Hasbro's next words of encouragement along side, that's a good problem to have.

Yes, we are happy(I think) that we're getting the Carbon chamber. I mean i haven't actually seen it yet so I have no idea whether it ticks the boxes or not, but we're supposed to be happy any time Hasbro makes something regardless.

SaberSonic83

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
I'm just trying to wrap my head around the logistics of making a set compatible to take two and put them together as one. That would mean no working Carbone Freezing Block that can move up and down - a must, if you ask me. Why even have the set if not? Because if it did, how would you end up putting two sets together? And if it's removable, then you always have a whole cylinder collecting dust - wasted plastic. I hope that particular rumor isn't true and the playset stands on its own without the need to add to it, at least not the chamber. I totally welcome add on sections like the dining room at Bespin or the Torture chamber room. Either way, this set should be amazing, I'm totally excited to be getting another great playset in the first place and let's hope Mark Boudreaux worked on it before he left.