Carbon Freezing Chamber Playset

Reaction score
Wow that set looks great with the lights. I will have to get it.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Neo-242:
I always thought that the top of the playset was too small to carry all the necessary figs... Is it?
<font size="2" face="arial">Don't tell me that you haven't seen the CFC Diorama!

Reaction score
I did ACPin, and it's awesome!
But...it confirms my fear... the top of the chamber is packed with figs, way too small to look realistic (don't get me wrong, that takes nothing away from your excellent job!)

Reaction score
"I always thought that the top of the playset was too small to carry all the necessary figs... Is it?"

You are right Neo. The top of the playset won't allow you to hold the necessary amount of figures needed to accurately depict the scene where Han gets frozen. It helps to remove that big stupid, obtrusive laser cannon that doesn't even come out in the movie. That will give you some extra space. But with the limited amount of space, I have just two figures displayed on the top of the playset (Commtech Vader & POTF2 Bespin Luke). All of my other Bespin specific figures are at the bottom of the playset. Anyway, it's a great set. Don't pass it up!

Reaction score
Mr. Pin,
That's some mighty fine customizing work that you've done! Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
I like the playset. Looks really nice. Especially with the "Mulder" figure

Anway, I have only 2 issues with it - one I've heard about - the spandex on the carbon block can stretch out if you leave a figure in carbonite.

Secondly, there are NO pegs for the figs. If you want them to stay put, buy some stands.

Other than that, it looks great. I found the orange lights, I will be probably making the lighting mods at some point. Maybe I'll buy another set just to light it. The price is right!

Rob

Reaction score
Thanks again for all your compliments!

I'm humbled by the fact that even though it's been almost two years ago when it was done, it still gets a lot of attention.

As for the undersized top, I've been rethinking of several ways to make it right.

Maybe I'll have the opportunity some day to correct it.

Btw, the recipe for the top part of the chamber is still a guarded secret. Most viewers by now have already identified half of what went into it.

"Do you like podracing?"

Reaction score
That custom chamber with the lights is awesome!!! I have to get one now. The official fan club has them for pretty cheap now if anyone is looking to buy one. After seeing the lights on one, I'm headed there right now. Thanks for the custom link, people.

Reaction score
Finally received the playset - glad I only paid $10 for it. It's alright - but to me nothing real exciting. I thought the carbon block would be made out of plastic vinyl instead of nylon - BTW - is your nylon fabric grey or black? Mine is a real light colored grey that looks awkward...

At least I got a fig I don't have already...maybe I'll try lighting (not on fire, but with lights!)it up for display purposes.

Reaction score
My local target just got the orange lights in, and I came back to find this thread and see if there was a link to the instructions to do this. I'm still worried that I might break mine, and so I'm pondering on whether or not I actually want a second set just to experiment on.

Is there any chance of damage when you do this? Anyone?

Reaction score
Originally posted by JoshEEE:
My local target just got the orange lights in, and I came back to find this thread and see if there was a link to the instructions to do this. I'm still worried that I might break mine, and so I'm pondering on whether or not I actually want a second set just to experiment on.

Is there any chance of damage when you do this? Anyone?
<font size="2" face="arial">The only damage that you could probably do is to your fingers and not the playset itself. Take a look at the instructions and they're really simple. You're just basically tying the lights into the slots with the fishing line.

Your fingers are gonna be sore after this so it would be good to take breaks in between.

Reaction score
Im thinking of picking this up....anyone want to give some imput on it?

Reaction score
joekiss said:
Craptacular. Huge oversized gun and a very dull outdated figure
I agree that the figure sucks ... but I just removed the gun. It works well enough as a diorama piece.

Reaction score
I think it was a pretty nice playset for the time. Very old-school Kenner Playset.
I have an extra (sealed in the box) if anyone wants it. $30 shipped. Tikkes gets first chance since I kind-of hijacked his thread.

Reaction score
My son likes playing with it and "freezing" figures. Yeah, the gun is dumb, and the security guard is terrible, but it's not too bad if you're going to use it for a diorama or something.

Reaction score
I never had this set and never had an interest in it. However, the idea of the "fabric" carbonite is kinda interesting.

Reaction score
But after constant usage, the fabric gets stretched from the pressure on the figure used for the block.

Reaction score
joekiss said:
Craptacular. Huge oversized gun and a very dull outdated figure
The gun can just be removed and the figure rightfully disposed. I like it. It's too small and could have been better. The trap door thing and carbon block with the fabric are lame. This pic is all I've got and it doesn't really give the entire thing justice. But as you can see, it's okay for dioramas.

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for one, I'd probably be willing to sell mine. Never opened. The box is still sealed in its shrinkwrap and in mint shape.

Reaction score
Great set up, now I miss selling mine a couple years ago. If I'm not mistaken this was originally supposed to come out in 1998, but didn't see release until 2001. That probably explains the sucky cannon and outdated figure.

Reaction score
As any true Star Wars fan can see, he is using his awesome control of the Force to keep those figures up 24/7/365 (or 366).
Joking aside, it looks like he is using FunTac (I think that's how you spell it) to keep them up.
Jason,
I like that you put it on the plastic that strengthens the hook so that when you want to take it off the cardboard doesn't come with it. Exactly how I would have done it if I were hanging figs on my wall with FunTac. If I'm wrong, well they look good anyway!

Reaction score
gerbil1189 said:
Jason-

How are you hanging your POTJ figures in the pic? Thanks!
I use 3M adhesive wall hangers. They are small plastic hooks that attach to the wall with adhesive strips. They are fairly inexpensive and work quite well. They can also be removed from the wall without damaging the paint.