Carbon Freezing Chamber Playset

G

For the time being, I know the only way you can purchase the new Carbon-Freezing playset is through an etailer or eBay. But what are your thoughts on it? If you don't have one yet, do you plan on buying one when it is available? If you already have one, what do you think? Does it get an "A?" I am still contemplating whether or not I'm going to add it to my collection. From the pictures I've seen, it looks pretty cool. The Bespin Guard figure pack-in looks kinda lame though. Please share your thoughts.

Reaction score
Re: Carbon-Freezing Chamber playset: what are your thoughts?

I definitely plan on getting it. The set itself looks cool...even though the figure may not be the best (Does he even come with a weapon??) I'm just waiting for that e-mail from the Fan Club to let me know I can pre-order.

------------------
My name would be MattFury...if I could type!

"The avalanche has already started....it's too late for the pebbles to vote"

G

well, he comes w/ that big mama-jama weapon they threw on for some reason

------------------
"Who's scruffy-looking?"

Reaction score

I plan on getting it. I think it'll look great on my shelf. I'd love to have it already, but I just don't think it's worth the ebay mark-up/shipping from Singapore. I saw one in Plano, TX this weekend for $75. I have plenty of patience, I can wait a LITTLE longer.

------------------
Burn Rourk (apokolips)
Moderator, collectstarwars.com forums; POTJ, Customizing, Films
apokolips@collectstarwars.com
See my custom figures at Wicked Force!

Reaction score

Well i finally found these at my local TRU (I live in Australia) and picked me up 1
Got it home and opened it up straight away and i must say i like it.
I like it alot!!!
The freeze concept is pretty cool and the set looks mighty fine
The bespin guard is probably the only thing that lets the set down he is "fugly" and has no weapon or anything.
Oh and that big gun that just sits there!
I'm sure it wasn't there in empire

But go buy this set it is very good

------------------
There is no spoon

G

Thankfully that gun is not permenantly attached, I just left it in the box.
The Bespin Guard does not come with any weapon, unfortunately.
Overall I really like the CFC, looks nice as a display piece, even better with all the new ESB figs that have or are yet to be released.
As a toy it is jam-packed with features and playability, the freezing process is really a lot of fun!
Yeah I would give it an A, the Guard is not the best but he's just a bonus and we are getting a nice carded one. I really can't fault this set in any other way unless you want to get picky the "carbonite" could be more realistic, the foot straps could be more accommodating, the flip-up panel damage easier to work but I think the big H did a good job here, I just wish kids could have a better chance of buying one.

Reaction score

No weapon?? Looks like I'll have to scramble up another weapon for him like I did with my CT Stormtroopers! (I don't think Tarkin really needs that other gun!)

------------------
My name would be MattFury...if I could type!

"The avalanche has already started....it's too late for the pebbles to vote"

[This message has been edited by MattFuy (edited 03-28-2001).]

Reaction score

I have one. I love it. My kids love it. And I don't know what the problem is with the Guard. It's not that bad a figure. Yeah, some recycled parts, and he's kinda plain, but it's not like he's the figure from hell. You guys have just been spoiled lately.

------------------
Qui-Gon, take me away!

G

Well, I'm glad to hear some people like this toy, but I think it's lackluster at best. There's not much play value since it's so small. You can't really recreate the scene in the film - it would need to be 3-4 times the size to do that. Plus, what's with that stupid gun that comes with it? If they were to include something extra, why not include something that was in the film? What a crock!

For another thing, the Bespin guard looks very poor - very little detail, and no weapon. The carded figure that's coming out this year is a much better, more detailed figure, and if I'm not mistaken comes with two accessories (a gun and a club of some sort). It seems that Hasbro likes to cut corners with these pack-ins and re-use molds, like the horrendous Wookie figure that came with the role-playing game that was just a resculpt of Chewie with a different head.

Hasbro needs to go back and look at the vintage (late '70's/early '80's) playsets to get some ideas on how to make the new ones - those playsets were large, well-built, and sturdy. All of the playsets that have come out in the POTF2/EP1 line have been lackluster to poor, because of the small size of the set and/or the poor quality control (pieces falling apart, breakage, etc.)....Hasbro will never learn...

G

I could give a crap about it really... I mean it looks cool and all but I'm not into "recreating" the movie with toys, nor do I sit around playing with them, well maybe sometimes with my daughter :) I just need that dang 3" figure that comes with it. Once I have that, then I will auction the actual playset off on ebay.

------------------
Sincerely,
Dustin Roberts
Dustin@rebelscum.com
Webmaster, Rebelscum.com

Reaction score

It's OK, not great, not cool, just OK. The Bespin Guard isn't all that bad. I think he looks like David Duchovny.

Reaction score

I'm definitely getting one! It's the site of Luke and Vader's first showdown, and one of my favorite sets from the movie. Plus, ACPin has shown us how simple modifications can make it a very nice display piece.

Log

Reaction score

Whenever the FC has it available, I'll buy one ASAP. It looks great. That big gun sucks @$$ but otherwise it's a SWEET playset. The cool thing is that I can use it as a display for loose figures. I can put Bespin Escape Leia, Bespin Capture Han, Mechanic Chewie(yeah he wasn't from that scene but he works as a regular Chewie too), Bespin Luke, the new Bespin Guard, Han Carbo, new Bespin Lando, and many other figures on it and utilize it as a diorama and a display for figs at the same time.

SG2K is right. The guard isn't that bad. It's better than General Leia(a figure that truly sucks) at least.

Anyway, I'll get a Carbonite Chamber when it comes out. Anyone in OZ want to help me with this piece

------------------
"What we do in life echoes an eternity."-Maximus(Gladiator)

Reaction score

I'm gonna need two of 'em. One to open, and one for the MOMC/MIMB collection!

------------------
[o] <o> [o]
"Stay in attack formation!"

Ty

Reaction score

yay or nay... probably a nay...

It looks pretty cool but the shipping is 17.99 US from WOTC-FC, the thing itself is 25.00 US which in the end is about $65++ Canadian.

I'd buy a bespin guard if anyone ever didnt want it, but in all honesty I dont really think it's worth that kind of money.

I'll just wait for the POTJ Bespin Guard...

I cannot wait to see that Bacta Tank though! Anyday now Hasbro!!

Reaction score

I'll probably buy two... one to open (looks like it has several cool play features) and one to keep boxed.

Reaction score

I have it, and I love it. You can check out what I did with mine at my website. It's under the ESB menu in the Bespin section. http://members.home.net/amarsella

------------------
"What if he doesn't survive? He's worth alot to me."

Reaction score

As soon as I get that email from the fan club I'll be getting one. And I'll be getting it free!
Because of some credits I have accumulated from the old fan club. With a gift certificate that WOTC actually increased over the amount that would have been in a check if I had chosen that option. Did that make sense?

------------------
Stay on target...stay on target!!

G

Why does everyone say that figures they don't like look like David Duchovny?

Example -

12 inch a new hope han solo

The little crappy bespin guard from the freezing chamber playset.

Personally I love the playset and it looks awesome with all the figures on it. It's definetley one of my favourite playsets for sure!

------------------
Messa going home!

Reaction score

Since I'm not a big playset/diorama guy I am passing on this one. The only reason that I would possibly want this is for the Bespin Guard. Of course after looking at that figure there is really no reason at all.

------------------
Inconceivable!

Reaction score

I like the ANH 12" Han, but seroiusly, if I were to customize a 12" Agent Fox Mulder, I'd use that Han in a New York minute!

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red 5 Aussie:
Why does everyone say that figures they don't like look like David Duchovny?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never said I didn't like the figure, I just think he looks like Duchovny.

G

The freezing chamber looks pretty cool but the figure looks absolutely terrible. I'll most likely get one when they are available but the figure does not impress me at all.

Reaction score
Thinking about finally picking this set because it is so cheap now - to those who already have it - what do you think of it?? Is it worth the money?

Reaction score
Absolutely. It is a great little playset. It is fun to recreate the Carbo scenes from Empire. ACPin used to have a tutorial showing how to light up the set up orange XMas lights. It really takes the playset to a new level.

It receives a solid recommendation from me!

[ 09-17-2002, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: rmschneider104 ]

Reaction score
Originally posted by Beedo:
Fantastic playset. Get one. Here's the customising link mentioned above: ACPIN EXTREME CARBON FREEZE.

Now all I need is a string of orange Christmas lights....
<font size="2" face="arial">Beedo: You may want to try in the month of October, Halloween lights. I'm not sure if they have them in UK but I'm seeing them all over here in the states since everyone is getting ready for Halloween.

My cousin should me his with the lights on and I can't wait till I find mine so I can set it up.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it like you wouldn't believe! If I can't find any here, I'll ask my pals in the States for a set and a plug adapter.

Reaction score
I thought I might do that to my carbon chamber this halloween as well...but I might want to buy a spare just in case I F--- it up.

Reaction score
Originally posted by force guy:
I definitely recommend the Carbon Chamber playset.
<font size="2" face="arial">Indeed! It's all-new, unlike that darn rehash Toy Fair Vader!

EDITED BY DRILEY

Darth Epidermis, I've only recently warned you about trolling these forums for the particular person that your deleted comments were aimed at. Obviously you have not paid any attention so let me be clear about it. If you continue to defy our rules and guidelines we will have to ensure that you are unable to do so in the future. OK, enough said and let's stick to talking about the toys.

[ 09-18-2002, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: driley ]

Reaction score
Wow! The lighting really brings it alive hunh?

Gotta go get me some lights now......(runs off to store)

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the opinions! After seeing the custom chamber with the orange lights, I ordered up the playset last night for a measly $9.99! Have to pick up a set of orange lights this Halloween!

Reaction score
And if anyone gets stuck or have problems with the instructions, just email me!

Definitely a must buy and rmschneider104 couldn't have phrased it any better when you're able to customize it like I did.

Reaction score
for the record, i added the christmas lights to mine. A word of advice!!!:

the fishing line idea is INCREDIBLY difficult. I highly recommend trying black twisty-ties. very easy to control. you see them a bit more but not too bad.

Reaction score
I think it is great. I really like the holding cell and the idea that you can carbon freeze any figure with it

Reaction score
Originally posted by XXTeeboXX:
for the record, i added the christmas lights to mine. A word of advice!!!:

the fishing line idea is INCREDIBLY difficult. I highly recommend trying black twisty-ties. very easy to control. you see them a bit more but not too bad.
<font size="2" face="arial">IIRC some did it the same way that you did. I also mentioned in my instructions that you had to be patient with it and it wasn't going to be an easy job.

Either way, you gotta admit that the end result is all worth the effort! Still undecided? Here's the link where you'll see the various angled shots ot if.
Custom Carbon-Freezing Chamber

Reaction score
Originally posted by ACPin:
IIRC some did it the same way that you did. I also mentioned in my instructions that you had to be patient with it and it wasn't going to be an easy job.

Either way, you gotta admit that the end result is all worth the effort! Still undecided? Here's the link where you'll see the various angled shots ot if.
Custom Carbon-Freezing Chamber[/QB]
<font size="2" face="arial">Oh i completely saw that you mentioned that it was difficult. i am just agreeing with you totally and sharing what i decided to do. I thought i was being clever and coming up with that one by myself, but its all good if others have thought of it.

I did try to use the fishing line first, and got a little ways before it all went to hell.

the end result is amazing.

genius really