Captain Rex - #VC182

GNT

Reaction score
I couldn't see a thread on it but please discuss the Captain Rex figure here:

full

full
Who will be purchasing this figure?

Reaction score
I’m a stinker for clones and the prequels, so I went ahead and preordered him from pulse a couple weeks ago. Brick and mortar have been poor luck lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
TBH, the least they could have done was use Wolffe's mold so we could get a removable helmet and not be stuck with pea sized head. I can't believe they reissued this one, when a better version exists especially when a major selling point today is photo real sculpts. And on the one Clone who took his helmet off more than any other. I figured after they just redesigned the Clone sculpt they would redo all the Commanders fairly soon.

Reaction score
Yep, I preordered him. I dont have this version of him, and after watching TCW he became one of my favorite SW characters.

Reaction score
I already have the Black Collection one from 2015. I LOVE clones, but it’s just too much of a straight-up repack for me to want (and stuff from 2015 actually is starting to become dated). I do, however, love the card!

Reaction score
I already have the Black Collection one from 2015. I LOVE clones, but it’s just too much of a straight-up repack for me to want (and stuff from 2015 actually is starting to become dated). I do, however, love the card!

I pre-ordered this one for the card

Reaction score
Along with not having a removable helmet, this figure is also a bit taller than most clones. He’s noticeably taller than the 501st ARCs for sure.

Would have been nice if Hasbro kit-bashed Rex with the ARC mold as a starting basis. Rex’s kama actually has fewer details than the ARC’s. But his chest armor and helmet have those custom touches not found on anyone else except a Rex figure.

Reaction score
Totally! I mean they're already making that new ARC Trooper so the mold is available, and it seems to be from the same factory given the timing of their release. So IMO it wouldn't have been that difficult to paint a Rex head for the body and just swap out the pauldron and kama for the right one.

Unless those parts were in a separate factory. Now I can understand Rex being a repack for budgetary concerns and to cost out the wave, but considering they wouldn't be creating an all new mold specifically for him I don't see an issue reusing the ARC mold as a base. It likely costs the same to produce a figure regardless of the mold as long as you don't have added costs from a new mold.

Reaction score
It wouldn’t take much to convert the ARC kama into Rex’s: just remove the two front pouches and remove the X crossing straps in the front.

Removing those straps would probably free up the posing options on this kit-bashed Rex’s legs too.

The only question is whether an existing Rex helmet (like one from the animated Clone Wars collection) would fit with the ARC heads.

Reaction score
I was thinking Kix or Tup instead of Rex, BUT I could totally get behind your 3-pack idea! (y)

Reaction score
Probably would be better for those two in a set and leave Rex for the main line since he's more popular. I still want Dogma though

Reaction score
A very disappointing release for sure. Have not made preorder on this one even though I keep a lot of VC on card. Just feel this was very lazy especially after seeing quality put into the clone 3pk that has just came out, and how little it would take to kitbash this thing and come out very nice.

Reaction score
lol I should hope not! lol Why would you reissue it a third time next to much better figures?! :rolleyes:

bac

Reaction score
I think it was more to address that it's too late to make a dramatic change at this point.

At least they addressed it. I don't see how they can look at Zutton and not be bothered by the mismatched knee joint paint.

I also would like to know exactly where they want us to voice our opinions. Patrick keeps saying they're listening, but never says exactly where exaclty is the best place to be heard. I have a hard time imagining it's on Pulse posts, but maybe?

Reaction score
I agree, without fan involved Q&A's there is no real way to ask hard hitting questions.

Reaction score
I think if they were actually listening they would have known a Rex repack was a bad idea far in advance. They always point at out they’re listening in times where they don’t actually have to do anything. Like with the Revan figure, they’re like “to prove we’re listening we’re just not gonna repack Revan. In fact, we’re not gonna do a Revan at all.” Or in this case it’s like “Welp now that it’s impossible for us to do anything about it, I think it’s time we let you know that we actually are listening.”

Reaction score
They should not need feedback from us to know repacking that Rex was a bad idea.

Anyway: Hey Hasbro - repacking that Rex was a bad idea.

Reaction score
I’m also letting them know through my purchases.

I jumped at the 501st ARC 3 pack, the Crest, and Moff Gideon. But have stayed away from the 6 inch line and definitely won’t be purchasing this.

Make good product, and we’ll pay Hasbro handsomely. Ignore us, and well, I have other hobbies to spend my cash on.

Reaction score
In their defense they didn't know repacking Revan was apparently a bad idea either, until some sort of fan outrage. So it seems that they do need help at times. lol

Reaction score
I don't think this version of Rex is bad, but with all the fan requests to see the unreleased Rex figure put out, surely they know the demand for that sculpt remains the highest for the character. Here is a hi res shot from google via Bantha to remind Hasbro.

off_pic_04.jpg

Reaction score
That's just it though, they had a better option to go with in the first place! Which makes their decision all that more baffling and because you can't use the budget reason because it's not technically a new sculpt anymore. Unless their excuse is the whole "not in the same factory as the rest of the wave" nonsense.

I would have totally bought that Rex.

Reaction score
I also would like to know exactly where they want us to voice our opinions. Patrick keeps saying they're listening, but never says exactly where exaclty is the best place to be heard. I have a hard time imagining it's on Pulse posts, but maybe?

It's funny recently I've been doing some customs/dios and been binge listening old Galaxy of Toys podcasts from like 2015-current and either they are toy prophets or Hasbro listens to that show b/c lots of what they talk about comes to fruition...lol.

Last edited:

bac

Reaction score
That prototype Rex probably never had tooling made. If so, it was definitely cheaper to use the existing tooling to fill a "repack" slot.

Just a poor decision in hindsight. It should have been another character in that repack slot. Rex is important enough to deserve new tooling for a 2.0 version, even if it meant pushing him further down the line.

bac

Reaction score
It reeks of a pure marketing decision.

They wanted to get Rex back out ASAP for the Clone Wars connection. And who knows? Potential Mandalorian connection as well should he pop up in S2.

The cheapest, quickest way to get it out was a straight repack.

Reaction score
The hardest thing about Rex is all the extra paint apps for all the tally marks and the little custom touches to his Phase 2 armor.

I wouldn’t mind taking a shot at making a custom Phase 2 Rex (with removable helmet), but getting all the necessary parts is still pricy or requires a ton of detailed paint work.

Reaction score
Yep, I preordered him. I dont have this version of him, and after watching TCW he became one of my favorite SW characters.
I don't have the TBS version of him either. But, since he's TVC carded, I would have bought him anyway. Preorder placed weeks ago, when he was first offered.

I would have liked getting that cloth kama, though, as in the unreleased version pictured above. Guess we'll have to wait for the "next version" of Rex, which will certainly be more important than releasing a first-time-ever SW figure. :sneaky:

Reaction score
That prototype Rex probably never had tooling made. If so, it was definitely cheaper to use the existing tooling to fill a "repack" slot.

Just a poor decision in hindsight. It should have been another character in that repack slot. Rex is important enough to deserve new tooling for a 2.0 version, even if it meant pushing him further down the line.

The tooling already exists, because most of it belongs to Fordo. I believe Hasbro mentioned that previously - I think the head, belt, and pauldron were all that was added. I'm not sure if they confirmed if the head was a prototype sculpt, or if it had been tooled with the Fordo parts already.

As for the Rex release in TVC, they likely picked it over the unreleased version to save money - less accessories, and no softgoods = reduced investment. Hasbro loves to save a buck, while still charging us full price on repacks. With the CW series over, I wonder if they'll ever return to Rex though, unless he makes cameos in future media. Likewise, with so many characters waiting for their first figure in TVC, I'm not sure another Rex is warranted for the near future. I wish they got it right the first time as well...

Reaction score
Well technically, we’ve never gotten a non-animated Rex in his Phase 1 AOTC style get up.

So, that’s one way of getting another “new” Rex in the TVC line.

Reaction score
Well technically, we’ve never gotten a non-animated Rex in his Phase 1 AOTC style get up.

ummm... simply release the cancelled Rex from 2013...which ALOT of us had hoped this TVC Rex was going to be rather than a repack

Reaction score

As cool as phase one is, phase two is just way cooler, the weld lines, hybrid helm and kill count are just amazing, it's a shame we won't see it done justice for years to come, hasbro really messed up

Reaction score
Honestly all they have to do is pack both versions of the helmet in with them, it then gives people the choice and doesn't require individual releases for each look.